Affordable housing for homeless and v...

Affordable housing for homeless and veterans opens in Camden

There are 4 comments on the NJ.com story from Mar 8, 2012, titled Affordable housing for homeless and veterans opens in Camden. In it, NJ.com reports that:

CAMDEN - State and county officials today celebrated the grand opening of the Meadows at Pyne Poynt, an affordable housing community that will set aside some units for homeless and disabled veterans.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NJ.com.

tasha barnes

Arlington, VA

#1 Mar 11, 2012
I'm on that list am I on the list
The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#3 Mar 12, 2012
"The three-story, newly constructed Meadows at Pyne Poynt features 40 affordable units of which 10 will provide housing opportunities for homeless and disabled veterans."
So out of 40 units, only 10 will go to homeless and disabled veterans and the rest go to whom?????
How do the homeless pay for this? How can you be on section 8 without income?
Affordable???? For whom? We as the tax payer eventually pay for this one way or another. Apparently we have no voice about who gets this 'affordable housing' but only 10 are vets.
I have seen some of this 'affordable' housing in my area, infested with drug dealers and the like. I know this because a vet I used to know wanted to get into this 'affordable housing' in my local area but met up with one of his drug connections from years ago and she was still dealing. He had stopped drugs due to cancer and was looking for a place to live but saw a former dealer, talked with her, found out she was still dealing and that is how some of these 'affordable housing' places deal with the homeless. Income is income and the housing market doesn't care where the income comes from, as long as the rent is paid!
By the way, the vet eventually died from exposure to agent orange and the girl he knew back then was still dealing as of today and had the nerve to show up at his funeral!
taxed enough

Epsom, NH

#4 Mar 18, 2012
Homeless housing, veterans housing, just more warm and fuzzy names for welfare housing. Goes well with Workforce Housing, Senior housing, subsidized housing, public housing, supportive housing, Section 8 housing, HUD housing, etc... If it is means tested - it is Welfare Housing. Period. Another case of somebody getting their bills paid by somebody else who had to earn the money but cannot spend it on their own family. Not fair no matter what you call it. I am a vet and a senior who saved and planned for retirement. That meant going without some things along the way but I went without those things and now I get taxed to pay for other people's housing while paying for my own housing. What part of that is fair?

“just think about it”

Since: Mar 12

browns mills NJ

#5 Mar 18, 2012
taxed enough wrote:
Homeless housing, veterans housing, just more warm and fuzzy names for welfare housing. Goes well with Workforce Housing, Senior housing, subsidized housing, public housing, supportive housing, Section 8 housing, HUD housing, etc... If it is means tested - it is Welfare Housing. Period. Another case of somebody getting their bills paid by somebody else who had to earn the money but cannot spend it on their own family. Not fair no matter what you call it. I am a vet and a senior who saved and planned for retirement. That meant going without some things along the way but I went without those things and now I get taxed to pay for other people's housing while paying for my own housing. What part of that is fair?
cann't agree with you more...most of these people never worked a day in the're lives ( not talking about the Vets here, we owe them more than we can ever pay )they are bums! when you reach down to help a bum...the bum pulls you down with him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Camden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CMD Gear3 (Mar '14) 8 hr Say what 1,632
Mental Illness in Poor Communities like Camden Jun 24 Anonymous 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Jun 20 Homeboynot 20,366
Lisa Hoopes murdered in Gloucester (Dec '06) Jun 17 The Saints are Ma... 13
News Pemberton to survey residents on revitalization... (May '10) Jun 14 WOW 20
State of NJ vs. Bruce Aristeo Means the Camden ... May '16 blug 2
News Do Not Adopt from Greyhound Angel Adoption (Oct '09) May '16 lucy emmons 19

Camden Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Camden Mortgages