More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 Full story: news.yahoo.com 10,152

BEEBE, Ark. – Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area. Full Story
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#7123 Sep 8, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I know a little bit about Native Americans. We are surrounded by the Mescalero Apache tribe. I could tell you stories that would make you laugh and make you cry!
met a couple who transplanted to arkansas from arizona. They owned a high dollar house in arizona. They learned it was on indian land with a 100 year lease. The lease was up and the indians told them leave. It was in litigation and of course the injuns wherent gonna win. So this old almost dead indian lit the subdivision on fire burned 300 homes. Bragging he let it be known he did it. The old indian went to jail was fed good free medical andmore comfortable than the Hogan he lived in. The couples insurance after a court fight did pay off, they settled in arkansas because we dont have a indian problem.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#7124 Sep 8, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Those indians didnt know anything about conservation. They where for the most opportunist. They drove whole herd,s of buffalo over the cliff,s the indians ate good in times of plenty and raised up a pack of dogs, In times of lean thay ate the dogs and sent the elderly out into the elements to die, after the dogs where all are they warred with other tribes and ate them. a tribe of indians would migrate until they found game after they fouled the vicinity and killed all the game they moved on. indians intellect before white man never progressed much beyond a childs. A old indian was thirty years old they died when their teeth went bad and became infected, their teeth wore out from the food being ground between rocks. they also had worms, head & body lice. after white men came the Cheorkee and a few others adopted white mans lifestyle. the cheorkee even had schools and their own aphabet. My wife is native american. and I have a percentage of blackfeet & seminole. Im just not being poltically correct Im telling it the way it actually was. Im not trying to be mean or racist.
"They drove whole herd,s of buffalo over the cliff,s"
I heard just the opposite. That it was the white man who did that.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#7125 Sep 8, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Churm is correct on this one...
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#7126 Sep 8, 2012
From the new shelton wet/dry:

American Indians used to chase buffalo over a cliff. The cliff was called a buffalo jump. The most famous of Wyoming’s buffalo jumps is the Vore Buffalo Jump located near Beulah. From the layers of bones, scientists have estimated that some 20,000 bison were killed at the site and that it was in use as late as 1800 AD.
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#7127 Sep 8, 2012
<quoted text>
I got my facts correct. Before white men The indians didnt have anything but spears bows & arrows and where on foot. so they stampeded whole herds over the cliffs. they would use fire surround the herd with fire and kill a entire herd. the white men shot the buffalo one shot at a distance and a buffalo hit in the heart or lungs would collapse and the rest of the herd would likely continue grazing. The hunter always hunted with his face in the wind and the buffalo never heard the shot. A former civil war sharpshooter named Callendar once shot 86 buffalo with his sharps rifle in a single stand, the bullett hit the 87th in the leg and the herd stampeded away. He surmized the bullett was loaded incorrectly and had to few grains of powder. It was Kit Carson whos wife was indian that devised the plan to starve the indians into submission. He scouted for the army.The solders on his recomendation cut down all the pinion pine. No pine nuts to make pemmican with. Then they began killing the buffalo for the hides, the tongue,s where packed in barrells of salt and sold in europe as a decalacy. The meat fed the railroad workers and much was left to rot. The buffalo fed only a small number of opportunistic wild men who never developed any infrastructure, Today that same land grows commodities that feed,s millions upon of millions.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#7128 Sep 8, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> I got my facts correct. Before white men The indians didnt have anything but spears bows & arrows and where on foot. so they stampeded whole herds over the cliffs. they would use fire surround the herd with fire and kill a entire herd. the white men shot the buffalo one shot at a distance and a buffalo hit in the heart or lungs would collapse and the rest of the herd would likely continue grazing. The hunter always hunted with his face in the wind and the buffalo never heard the shot. A former civil war sharpshooter named Callendar once shot 86 buffalo with his sharps rifle in a single stand, the bullett hit the 87th in the leg and the herd stampeded away. He surmized the bullett was loaded incorrectly and had to few grains of powder. It was Kit Carson whos wife was indian that devised the plan to starve the indians into submission. He scouted for the army.The solders on his recomendation cut down all the pinion pine. No pine nuts to make pemmican with. Then they began killing the buffalo for the hides, the tongue,s where packed in barrells of salt and sold in europe as a decalacy. The meat fed the railroad workers and much was left to rot. The buffalo fed only a small number of opportunistic wild men who never developed any infrastructure, Today that same land grows commodities that feed,s millions upon of millions.
Buzzards got to eat same as worms, I reckon so Josey! LOL!
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#7129 Sep 8, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Buzzards got to eat same as worms, I reckon so Josey! LOL!
Its not that I dislike indians. I dont like it when people post things as fact just because they like & want to believe in feel good political correctness. Those same indians would poision a creek or pond and kill all the fish to get a easy meal. Granted There where plenty of dangerious wasteful white folks back during the same time.
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#7130 Sep 8, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
From the new shelton wet/dry:
American Indians used to chase buffalo over a cliff. The cliff was called a buffalo jump. The most famous of Wyoming’s buffalo jumps is the Vore Buffalo Jump located near Beulah. From the layers of bones, scientists have estimated that some 20,000 bison were killed at the site and that it was in use as late as 1800 AD.
After die off from the hard winters of 1887 &1888 . There where folks that made their living picking up the buffalo and cattle bones. They where transported to the rail road and shipped where they where ground up and made into super phospate fertelizer. Im shure finding a buffalo jump was like a gold mine to the Bone Pickers. So its likely many sites where simply hauled Away. A Bone Picker found a dinosaur skeleton in Colorado. one leg bone loaded his wagon! He brought it to town to show off! A German immigrant merchant was smart enough to reconize what it was. He bought it and paid a for the removal and transport of the entire skeleton to germany, its in a german museum.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#7131 Sep 8, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Its not that I dislike indians. I dont like it when people post things as fact just because they like & want to believe in feel good political correctness. Those same indians would poision a creek or pond and kill all the fish to get a easy meal. Granted There where plenty of dangerious wasteful white folks back during the same time.
I agree, my above reference was to the movie "The Outlaw Josey Wales" the best movie ever made!
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#7132 Sep 8, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I agree, my above reference was to the movie "The Outlaw Josey Wales" the best movie ever made!
Yea its pretty good entertainment. But we have to realize its not fact. There are folks who think Dances with Wolves is the way it was. I liked lonesome Dove and the early years also. I had a relative from the Dakotas who took part in the indian wars. He also went on the unsuccessful attempt to round up the Seminoles in Florida. He was part Blackfeet and captured and tamed Seminole bride in Florida.
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#7133 Sep 8, 2012
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#7134 Sep 8, 2012
Can you skin a bear pilgrim? I can skin just about anything......Skin this one pilgrim and I'll get you another.

Jeremiah Johnson!

SE Michigan

#7135 Sep 8, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Its not that I dislike indians. I dont like it when people post things as fact just because they like & want to believe in feel good political correctness. Those same indians would poision a creek or pond and kill all the fish to get a easy meal. Granted There where plenty of dangerious wasteful white folks back during the same time.
I am not one who cares about political correctness. I only posted what I heard had been done.

SE Michigan

#7136 Sep 8, 2012
It's windy with gray cloud cover and some sprinkles. Never got much above 70 today. Fall is definitely in the air. They should have had a decent count day down at the hawk watch though it's still a little early.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#7137 Sep 8, 2012
It's windy with gray cloud cover and some sprinkles. Never got much above 70 today. Fall is definitely in the air. They should have had a decent count day down at the hawk watch though it's still a little early.
Weather here is like there. We still have several days of 90 degree weather ahead unfortunately!
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#7138 Sep 8, 2012
My wife where outside working on a yard art project. I noticed a orange butterfly on the marigolds it was marked something a monarch but isnt near as large.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#7139 Sep 8, 2012
This is my favorite time of the year. Football and Hunting season! It doesn't get any better than this!

SE Michigan

#7140 Sep 8, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Weather here is like there. We still have several days of 90 degree weather ahead unfortunately!
90 degrees in the desert isn't all that bad. It's a dry heat.

SE Michigan

#7141 Sep 8, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
My wife where outside working on a yard art project. I noticed a orange butterfly on the marigolds it was marked something a monarch but isnt near as large.
Sounds like it might have been a Viceroy.
http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/viceroy.htm
I found a Buckeye on my walk this afternoon.
http://www.laspilitas.com/butterflies/Butterf...
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#7142 Sep 8, 2012
<quoted text>
90 degrees in the desert isn't all that bad. It's a dry heat.
So is a blow torch up your ass but it's still hot! LOL!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Camden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Austin Hill 1 hr James 22
Looking for a person? Fri Tree 1
No more black men for me Fri Connie 12
Jamacians Fri Alberta 1
Regrets Fri Crippled 12
Relationships Thu Aglaetta 5
Programs That Help Thu Happy 6
Camden Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web