Body identified as Nailah Franklin

Body identified as Nailah Franklin

There are 2667 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 28, 2007, titled Body identified as Nailah Franklin. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Dental records today identified the badly decomposed body of a woman found early Thursday in south suburban Calumet City as Nailah Franklin, the 28-year-old pharmaceutical representative reported missing more ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

chi-town native

Boise, ID

#2725 Oct 12, 2010
I know this is a very trying ordeal for the Franklin family but whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? We are in America right? It's easy to blame the first person that comes to mind when something tragic like this happens and as "plain & simple" as the whole thing looks, it aint always cut n dry. Ask yourselves, honestly, what power does Mr. Potts have to prolong this trial?! NONE! The state wants NOTHING more than to strap him down & give it to him....If for nothing other than the fact that he escaped from their custody years before this murder even took place. Then got caught, went back and served his time and got out and LEGALLY built a small empire of wealth they only dream of! You haven't heard anything about it and the trial hasn't started because of lack of sufficient evidence from the CPD! Everybody was so ready to blame Mr. Potts that they didn't even investigate the possibility that it could have been someone else! For Ms Franklin and her families sake, I pray that they do prosecute the true killer! The guy seems like a real jack ass, but that doesn't make him a killer!I've been seeing waaaay too many cases of people serving 10 years of their life in prison for a crime and it's later determined that they DIDNT even do it!
chi-town native

Boise, ID

#2726 Oct 12, 2010
If you were locked up for something you didn't do and was possibly about to get the death penalty, would you be calm, cool & collected while waiting in Cook County Jail?! I dont think so....
Houston Co-Worker

AOL

#2727 Oct 15, 2010
Hummm let's see what has been disclosed. Wealth? LOL He was a poser and wannabee. With respect to the trial, he up and decided that he did not want an attorney. Oops now I want an attorney. LOL Potts LIED about the last time he had contact with Nailah. He was on video in her building the last day that she was known to be alive and he'd been at her building within a day or days of her disappearance. He lied about his whereabouts as he was not on videotape at Target with his buddies as he claimed to have been. He was picked up by friends not far from the area where Nailah's body was located. His cell phone was pinging in the area as Nailah's and essentially close enough to where her body was located. Nailah felt threatened by him and contacted the police. Although he said that he didn't care that Nailah was telling others about his criminal past and therefore had no motivation to kill her, I truly believe that that was sufficient motivation to enrage him. His intent when he came into contact with Nailah may not have been murder but I believe that he did indeed murder Nailah Franklin. He has a history of aggressive behavior toward women and this time his rage took over. Psychopathic personalities can assume whatever persona that is needed to accomplish their goals. He can cast himself in the role of "yet another po black man being falsely accused and incarcerated by the system".
H-Town Native

Crosby, TX

#2728 Oct 15, 2010
Okay I've read this entire story on all the search engines. I'm really sad about Ms. Franklin and really feel bad for her family, but I must say that after reading Mr. Potts statement and now three years later nothing has happened makes me wonder if his story is true. When the FBI is worklng on a case such as this, by now they would have found the evidence needed to convict this man. Moreover, didn't Mr. Potts say he was representing himself in this trial?? If he is and he's NOT an attorney (regardless to how smart a person is), he would be no match for a real experienced attorney correct?? So why wouldn't they have proceeded with the case? All this just leaves speculation and doubt that perhaps he is innocent. I don't know and for anyone wondering, I've never posted any comments regarding these people, I don't know the none of the parties in this case and the only reason I ran across it way from Houston, TX was because i was googleing someone whose name is similar to the Potts guy in Houston, TX and his information came up. My first thoughts were...OMG is this the same person, but it's not and the story was very interesting so I kept reading...and now I've been reading for 4 hours..seems like i just read a novel..lol. In all seriousness, I first judged this man on what the media and blogs were saying until i read his statement. Still a little skeptical I kept reading thinking i was going to read about how they convicted him and now 3 years later NOTHING. Something is just not right about that. Even if they couldn't get the death penality it just seems they could have charged him with somehting concrete by now. Since my curiousity is now all in this case I'm going to keep checking on the outcome. Once last thing...i'm not saying this dude is a saint or that he was right in the way he treated her or the other women. He sounds like he was a player that had money and was not interested in a relationship. It's just sad when the media is only getting one side of the story as I too was very judgemental before i took the time to read all the information i could find on this case to read for myself. I just want closure now so i can imagine how her family feels...what do you guys think?
Houston Co-Worker

AOL

#2729 Oct 15, 2010
H-Town Native,
I accept that you are new to the case. Have you watched the video of Potts' tv interview PRIOR to his arrest? Have you read the article written by Mary Murphy (whatever her name is) by the Chicago Sun Times based on his interview with him. Murder trials take time, some take years. Prior to his arrest for murder, there were two other pending cased (baby mama case and estranged wife's case). He had an attorney and dismissed his attorney so that he could defend himself. Then he wanted an attorney. Then Mr. "Plenty Money" (he said he had plenty money on tape in an interaction with the police) declared himself indigent and needed a public defender. Each flip flop on the issue of an attorney necessitates the "new" attorney having time to prepare a defense and various motions. In time, justice will be served by his CONVICTION for the brutal murder of Nailah Franklin.
Houston Co-Worker

AOL

#2730 Oct 15, 2010
Also, if you would like more information on the case, read the Nailah Franklin thread on Lipstick Alley.com It is a very lengthy thread and goes back to the beginning of the case.
H-Town Native

Houston, TX

#2731 Oct 18, 2010
Yes, I read that entire thread. I also read some other links after I read your post (Houston Co-Worker)and found some interesting facts that I didn't know prior to writing the post the other day. I saw that in December that they pulled the phone records and found that her cell phone dialed 911 3 times on the night she was reported missing near the scene and Potts cell showed to be used that same night in that area. See alot of people don't realize that when you make a phone call on your cell phone not all can that number be traced but it can also be traced to the exact location you were at when you made the call. I'm just so curious as to how this whole thing will end. I just hope and pray that whom ever is responsible for this that justice prevails. The sad part about this is that the family still doesn't have complete closure on this. I'm sure they believe that Potts was responsible but there is still room for doubt and speculation since nothing has been concrete yet. Thanks for the insight and lets just stay prayed up the family of the victim.
H-Town Native

Houston, TX

#2732 Oct 18, 2010
Also just to note...I just looked up the link from the inmate site you posted a few weeks ago in some earlier threads and it shows that Potts has an expected release date of 11/21/2010! Were you aware of that?
H-Town Native

Houston, TX

#2733 Oct 18, 2010
This is the link I went to...
http://www.bop.gov/iloc2/InmateFinderServlet...
H-Town Native

Houston, TX

#2734 Oct 18, 2010
Sorry false alarm..i just read that was the wrong person..I found the correct link which shows he still in jail with no bond!! whew....lol.
Houston Co-Worker

AOL

#2735 Oct 18, 2010
Thanks for the updated comments.
chi-town native

Boise, ID

#2736 Oct 19, 2010
Houston Co-Worker, since u seem to have read EVERYTHING that has anything to do with the case, have you read the ACTUAL e-mails between Ms Franklin & Mr Potts? I doubt it, you have read only what the media and police put out for u to read...Well I have and once again, this is in no way to smear Ms Franklins name but she CLEARLY wanted Mr Potts and couldnt understand why he wasnt answering her calls any more and wanted nothing to do with her. She threatened to tell of his past because she was a woman scorn, but the police & media will have u thinking that she was scared of him. She also stated in her e-mails that she was going to the police to file a complaint on Mr Potts, NOT because she was scared of him, but because he took some video tapes of them doing sexually explicit things & she claimed he had no right to take them because they were hers! He threatened to post them on the internet and that upset her, but didn't stop her from trying to see him again. She expressed how she cared about him and only after he still turned her down and called her out of her name, did she get upset. And the incident with his baby's mother was not that he EVER hit her but that he was trying to pick up his child and she was angry about him seeing another woman and told him he could not see her and he kicked her front door, she called the police and got an order of protection. So u may want to do a little more reading before judging. And like I said, if he did it he should DEFINITELY pay for it, but who am I to judge!Isn't that a sin....
chi-town native

Boise, ID

#2737 Oct 19, 2010
...and F.Y.I. he was definitely wealthy! Why do u think she was trying to date him? If you've read all the info on him you've seen the cars he had and the building in the middle of downtown Chicago that he resided in.
Houston Co-Worker

AOL

#2738 Oct 20, 2010
Reginald Potts lied about when he last saw Nailah Franklin. He was seen in her building in the days prior to her diappearance. He was on video with her in her building the last day she was known to be alive. He lied about his whereabouts as he was NOT in Target with his friends. He was picked up by friends in the area where Nailah's body was located. Potts lived a flashy lifestyle as many posers and wannabees do but was there "wealth"?? If he "was" wealthy, what became of the money and why would he declare himself "indigent" and in need of a public defender? Nailah contacted the police and it was not about the theft of videotapes of the two of them having sex. By the way I read the emails that Potts or his associates/relatives put out and of course they were self-serving. And even if she had been pursuing him (she was fully capable of financially taking care of herself) and was a woman scorned, based on what has been released (including his televised denial interview prior to being arrested and charged) Nailah's behaviors did not justify him killing her.
chi-town native

Boise, ID

#2739 Oct 29, 2010
I don't think you're getting the point that I am trying to make...just because a person lies does not make them a killer! You have no idea of that mans history with the police. He may have felt like because he was with her that day they were going to automatically deem him as guilty. And I didn't say she contacted the police about the tapes I said in the email SHE stated that she WAS GOING to go to the police about the tapes. And she did go to the police right after the email to get an order of protection but it's funny that the email was days before she made the complaint but she NEVER, NOT ONE TIME in the email said she was scared of him! So within 2 days she went from trying to get him to answer his phone and telling him she wanted to be with him to being terrified of him! Nothing adds up in this case so I dont know, all I'm saying is let the justice system do their job. No one has the right to play God, not Reginald, nor do you. And no, her actions did not justify ANYONE to kill her, but again you are 100% positivly deeming him as guilty & just like the police and states attorney have to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt, and like u said yourself, that takes years to do but u seem to have already made your mind up. but what if you're wrong and you get your wish and this man is executed and later they find out that it wasnt him? How messed up would that be? I'm just saying....I guess I'm just a God fearing woman & I would hate to have that on my conscious!
Met the fool

Chicago, IL

#2740 Nov 22, 2010
He was a poser is right. I met the man. Basically a fake. His entire life was a lie and the sad part is he believes his lies.
Houston Co-Worker

AOL

#2741 Jan 2, 2011
Met The Fool:
Are you aware of any update(s) on the status of the trial since the "rabid dog" was in court regarding visitation with his child in early Fall??
Houston Co-Worker

AOL

#2742 Sep 17, 2011
The 4th anniversary of Nailah's senseless death is here. I remain prayerful and hopeful that justice will ultimately be served by Reginald Potts' conviction and life long incarceration if not his execution. Hopefully someone in the Chicago area will soon update this forum.
Houston Co-Worker

AOL

#2743 Feb 11, 2012
Still hoping that justice will be served by Reginald Michael Potts Jr.'s conviction for the murder of Nailah O. Franklin. Hopeful that an update will be posted here or in the media regarding the status of his trial.
Houston Co-Worker

AOL

#2744 Sep 17, 2012
It has been almost five years since the brutal and senseless murder of Nailah O. Franklin. Reginald Michael Potts Jr. is still locked up. Hopefully someone will see this and provide an update on the status of his trial. RIP Nailah. Prayers for her family on this sad anniversary.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Calumet City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. House in Illinois (... (Oct '10) 5 hr SisterMarie 109
News Kadner: Cook County Sheriff offers hope for Rob... (Feb '13) 6 hr ErinBolden 13
You're an old time Riverdale/Dolton resident if... (Nov '09) Aug 14 mereworth 1,046
Homewood is going DOWNHILL (Oct '10) Aug 13 Pin12 9
Rita when does jail start? (Dec '16) Aug 12 More crooked county 7
Rocco Demarco breaking into homes (Feb '15) Aug 10 ESKETIT 6
Calumet City in the 60's & 70's (Feb '10) Aug 10 Reid 100

Calumet City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Calumet City Mortgages