Fat Tire maker to sponsor Kinetic race

Fat Tire maker to sponsor Kinetic race

There are 36 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Mar 21, 2009, titled Fat Tire maker to sponsor Kinetic race. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

This year, "For the Glory" will be wed with "Follow your Folly." The Kinetic Sculpture Race, which has long carried the "For the Glory" creed, announced Friday that it will carry as the title sponsor of this year's race the New Belgium Brewing Co., which boasts the "Follow your Folly" motto.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
The Real Bubba Joe

Arcata, CA

#21 Mar 21, 2009
I like beer.
But where are the local breweries?
Fat Tire is OK but it's just another "batch plant beer" I prefer Indica
MrPeanut

United States

#22 Mar 21, 2009
think wrote:
It's too bad all the businesses that used to sponsor the race are no longer in existence or no longer interested.
Too bad South Fork Mountain or some other non-alcoholic beverage could offer a sponsorship or some other local business that's not going out of business.
Dear Think- South Fork Mountain got busted for spilled deisel in the stream up 36 @ 5 yrs. ago which of course led to large grow- duly busted and out of business...
User

Mckinleyville, CA

#23 Mar 21, 2009
Dhrama is another one. We are not complaining if you could read properly.
We are concerned as stats back up DUI's kill people. They have a high incidence of accidents.
I drink, but I do not drink so that I drive impaired or I would not drive.
We are not the arbiter that is what the law makers do.
That's why there are laws against it.
If you ever had a loved one injured/killed by a DUI you would understand.
I hope it doesn't happen to you or anyone else.
This also applies to all DUIs, alcohol and drugs.
Thery need to be taken off the road ... for good.
Lois Wilson

Eureka, CA

#24 Mar 22, 2009
It's a family disease. Choose Recovery.
http://www.ncwsa.org/district-01.html
The Real Bubba Joe

Arcata, CA

#25 Mar 22, 2009
Lois Wilson wrote:
It's a family disease. Choose Recovery.
http://www.ncwsa.org/district-01.html
Enough already. We all know that you are a drunk. STFU
The Real Bubba Joe

Arcata, CA

#26 Mar 22, 2009
Lois, (Eric) please get some help for yourself.
Miss Hw

Sunnyvale, CA

#27 Mar 22, 2009
think wrote:
<quoted text> Miss Hw, there are strict restrictions on alcohol of any kind by participants. This is supposed to be a clean family event. Maybe you don't understand. This was a dumb idea from a former mayor of Arcata. Go figure.
Well. Hmmmm. It WAS clean. Te-he. That's the Humboldt touch for ya.
Derchoadus

San Francisco, CA

#28 Mar 23, 2009
Better than nothing wrote:
Um, sorry to break anyone's bubble, but the New Belgium Brewing Co. is owned by..... Coors! The same right-wing,****-hating company that used to sponsor the race, dressed up in new "micro-brew" clothes. Not good.
Actually, it is an Employee owned company. You become an owner at your one year employment anniversary. So stop the BS.
KeepTheRaceAlive

Arcata, CA

#29 Mar 23, 2009
Kudos to the organizers of the race for getting a sponsorship PERIOD! Fine, beer may not be the best way to do it but lets be honest here but the fact of the matter remains : The race needed an infusion of cash because the local businesses that benefit from the race were unable to come up with the $ needed to make this event happen LEGALY , SAFELY, and in the spirit of the founder! So for those of you who complain about drunk people why don't you tell the bars on the plaza to close that day too. I mean really people are going to be drinking anyway why not recycle some of that revenue back into the race to pay for things like insurance, permits, signage and all of the things that protect not only the racers but the public. So if you really want to complain about it lets just stop selling beer at the North Country fair too ( a family event right?) OK that's my rant and I do thank New Belgium for helping out a Humboldt County tradition in a time of need and I thank the race organizers for all their hard work keeping this race alive for it's 40'th year and not letting it go the way of the DODO. For the Glory!
Ivan the Terrible

Eureka, CA

#30 Mar 23, 2009
Dont some of you people have jobs...can you go whine to your employer and not at the Kinetic Race...?
Kinetic Race Director

United States

#31 Mar 23, 2009
Just to clarify a few concerns raised here:

1. The sculpture racers, team members and volunteers are expected to obey all traffic and other laws while participating in the Kinetic Grand Championship, including no drinking while pedaling or riding or driving as a volunteer.

2. The race will only have 2 beer gardens as it stands now that will be at designated places (not "all along the course") including one in downtown Eureka at Halvorsen Park (we are working on finding the right location for the second beer garden).

3. The race does have a water sponsor, they are called Native Springs and we are very proud to have them as our sponsor selling water at the race and providing free water to all racers and volunteers along the course. They are a non-profit and their proceeds benefit saving the Klamath River and Klamath salmon. They are local, headquartered in Eureka.

4.The Title Sponsor is not our ONLY sponsor, we also have a natural foods distributor, United Natural Foods Inc., which provides local natural food stores with products. We will likely feature many local sponsorships as well (these already include Stream Guys, KIEM, KHUM and more).

5. New Belgium is donating a Schwinn Cruiser that will be raffled off during the race. We greatly appreciate New Belgium Brewery's participation. Having New Belgium's support will help us with our permit costs, insurance and other expenses associated with running the race (which can add up very fast).

You can always find out more at KineticGrandChampionship.com

Thanks and FOR THE GLORY!

Harmony

“HENCHMAN OF JUSTICE”

Since: Dec 07

McKinleyville

#32 Mar 23, 2009
Kinetic Race Director wrote:
Just to clarify a few concerns raised here:
1. The sculpture racers, team members and volunteers are expected to obey all traffic and other laws while participating in the Kinetic Grand Championship, including no drinking while pedaling or riding or driving as a volunteer.
2. The race will only have 2 beer gardens as it stands now that will be at designated places (not "all along the course") including one in downtown Eureka at Halvorsen Park (we are working on finding the right location for the second beer garden).
3. The race does have a water sponsor, they are called Native Springs and we are very proud to have them as our sponsor selling water at the race and providing free water to all racers and volunteers along the course. They are a non-profit and their proceeds benefit saving the Klamath River and Klamath salmon. They are local, headquartered in Eureka.
4.The Title Sponsor is not our ONLY sponsor, we also have a natural foods distributor, United Natural Foods Inc., which provides local natural food stores with products. We will likely feature many local sponsorships as well (these already include Stream Guys, KIEM, KHUM and more).
5. New Belgium is donating a Schwinn Cruiser that will be raffled off during the race. We greatly appreciate New Belgium Brewery's participation. Having New Belgium's support will help us with our permit costs, insurance and other expenses associated with running the race (which can add up very fast).
You can always find out more at KineticGrandChampionship.com
Thanks and FOR THE GLORY!
Harmony
Thank You Harmony Groves for your Civic involvement. As being a former Kinetic racer (Kinetic Clam, Kinetic Express), this is definately something local that the community should cherish as our own!

Jeffrey Lytle
McKinleyville - 5th District
My money

United States

#33 Mar 23, 2009
ok you have pointed out the good PR stuff, but you either missed the point or have chosen to ignore it.
We're not concerned so much about those pedaling it's the large number of spectators having a good time, incl HSU students (a lot underage), who will be drinking and then away they go on the road.
I want to see a lot of security and official police check pts, at least 2.
Are you coordinating with the local and CHP on this?
If so, good. If not then do so or you are not very responsible. You're in charge.
interesting

United States

#34 Mar 23, 2009
Money seems to make a good point?? Do you have good insurance to cover
a lawsuit if something happens to someone during this race?
Just wondering as we are a litigant society.
Drunk spectators driving away and having an accident.
Good luck.
local with some logic

Arcata, CA

#35 Mar 24, 2009
This sponsor is not the sudden introduction of accessible alcohol. There has always been alcohol available on the Plaza, in the bars and restaurants of Old Town, and in Ferndale at the finish. Having beer gardens run by a sponsor simply captures some of the race generated commerce. Dui check points? More cops? Why? Because there are two more options for alcohol in the area? Get real. This changes nothing about the race, except for supplying much needed revenue. If you love the race, support the race. Think before you knee-jerk react to this. Be logical.
GloryLover

United States

#36 Mar 27, 2009
I love New Belguim Brewing company! Their "follow you Folly" motto fits perfectly with the Kinetic Race.
I didn't see any local company stepping up to the plate offering more than 10,000 to sponsor the race yet, so kudos to New Belgium for continuing the fun.
And P.S.
If you don't drink, then DON'T GO TO THE BEER GARDEN. This is not going to change the race, it is always a family friendly event. DUH!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Calistoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) 2 hr Jim_Bakker 17,715
Trump Starts War To End Investigations 23 hr CO MW Support Col... 5
Sonoma County Superior Court Judge James Bertoli (Oct '12) Sat MN Freedom 64
10 of Calistoga's Best Looking Homes Fri CO MW Support Col... 2
16 Big Trump Statues Arrive Sep 20 Teddy Too Tightses 3
News 2 arrests in alcohol sting with teenagers (Oct '06) Sep 1 Honky Hank 3
News Gang ties alleged in torture case (Jan '10) Jun '17 jjbateman5678 1,218

Calistoga Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Calistoga Mortgages