On the Spectrum: Challenge Day addres...

On the Spectrum: Challenge Day addresses bullying head-on

There are 11 comments on the Lake County Record-Bee story from Nov 16, 2009, titled On the Spectrum: Challenge Day addresses bullying head-on. In it, Lake County Record-Bee reports that:

A group of high school students from around the lake are raising money to finance Challenge Day at Clear Lake High School in Lakeport.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lake County Record-Bee.

“Used to be"Just Wondering"”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#1 Nov 16, 2009
Cynthia,

Call me stupid but why does this cost $35/student? Is it there not anybody in the "system" who can conduct a similar program for free? What do we pay teachers, principals, administrators for? Yes I looked at the website, pretty much a no-brainer program, been there done that in several school and corporate "team building" exercises.

Truthfully, the only ones who will learn anything are the ones who wish to learn or change. The net results will be the status quo.

Location hidden

#2 Nov 16, 2009
On second thought, I'll take on the task $7000 is nothing to pass up, where do I sign up.
insider

Lakeport, CA

#3 Nov 17, 2009
un-American, you are right to question cost. The cost has actually been quoted one of the persons who is trying to get it here, as being $10,000. I am suspicious about some of the motives. I feel $10,000 could be spent for something, say new books or supplies that are being cut from the budget? Just give all the kids some warm fuzzies and see what will happen.
M-town Wrestling Coach

Waterloo, IA

#4 Nov 17, 2009
Cost is always a concern and should be addressed. However, I took part in Challenge Day as an adult participant when it came to Middletown. This program is NOT simple corporate team building. It was a very impactful day that I have personally witnessed cary on in Middletown schools. I have even seen one young man's life become quite improved at school. He had it way worse than Chance and his school life is far more positively constructive than it was before that day. Not only did it make a positive change in the kids, but on a personal level made me understand that the "fun" I had at others' expense when I was in high school was pretty damaging to a few of them. You have to experience the day to understand the day.

Now before you say "here goes some hippy, feel good wanna be", let me say that I am none of the above. Trust me on that. I disagree comepletely with our culture of "give everybody a trophy so they feel good about themselves". But, that being said, what can having a day to get the kids together if it doesn't cost the district hurt?

Location hidden

#5 Nov 17, 2009
M-town Wrestling Coach wrote:
Now before you say "here goes some hippy, feel good wanna be", let me say that I am none of the above. Trust me on that. I disagree comepletely with our culture of "give everybody a trophy so they feel good about themselves". But, that being said, what can having a day to get the kids together if it doesn't cost the district hurt?
Well who is paying for this "feel good" day? And since you have experiance in this why can it not be localy produced by volunteers rather than "Dr. Phil" types?

As for it being any different than any other school or corporate team bulding I beg to disagree, just wrapped in greenbacks, same old shirt!
Timetostartisnow

Oakland, CA

#6 Nov 18, 2009
Teaching Tolerance Program is offered to all grade levels from Pre-K to 12th and professional development and materials for administrators through the Southern Proverty Law Center. In fact entry level teachers are required to take same course through the State of California Department of Education.
Cost of materials are free of charge to local schools districts throughout USA. Challenge Day is similar program, just don't go far enough in addressing cultural sensitivity issues and measured results such as Bullying, bigoted views, etc. Google: Teaching Tolerance.org will take you to link page.

The Teaching Tolerance program developed by the Southern Poverty Law Center states in very clear terms “In an era of increasing diversity and divisiveness, how do we help young people both to affirm their own individual and group identities and to respect and appreciate the identities of others.

Clint Fitzgerald

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#7 Nov 20, 2009
Timetostartisnow wrote:
Teaching Tolerance Program is offered to all grade levels from Pre-K to 12th and professional development and materials for administrators through the Southern Proverty Law Center. In fact entry level teachers are required to take same course through the State of California Department of Education.
Cost of materials are free of charge to local schools districts throughout USA. Challenge Day is similar program, just don't go far enough in addressing cultural sensitivity issues and measured results such as Bullying, bigoted views, etc. Google: Teaching Tolerance.org will take you to link page.
The Teaching Tolerance program developed by the Southern Poverty Law Center states in very clear terms “In an era of increasing diversity and divisiveness, how do we help young people both to affirm their own individual and group identities and to respect and appreciate the identities of others.
The Southern Poverty Law center is listed by The National Policy Institute as a federally funded hate group. It was founded in 1971 by Morris Dees and Joseph J. Levin Jr. as a civil rights law firm. Due to "mission creep" it has deviated from its insidious goal of eliminating defamation to a goal of promoting anti white agenda by prescribing anti white indoctrination to children in school and providing training to police departments on how to sniff our and destroy any sense of European racial identity in their communities.
Other funding for the group come from suing the pants off of any group of European Americans who dare to stand up for their groups self interests from any angle their coven of Jewish lawyers can bend the law.
Wow

Hidden Valley Lake, CA

#8 Nov 22, 2009
Just Pre-k to 12th. I think some of the adults could use a bit of Teaching Tolerance also, where do we sign up?
Timetostartisnow wrote:
Reproduce

United States

#9 Nov 22, 2009
un-Americian wrote:
<quoted text>
Well who is paying for this "feel good" day? And since you have experiance in this why can it not be localy produced by volunteers rather than "Dr. Phil" types?
As for it being any different than any other school or corporate team bulding I beg to disagree, just wrapped in greenbacks, same old shirt!
Great suggestion, locally produce the program.
Debbie

Waterloo, IA

#10 Oct 18, 2011
I have personally volunteered at 4 Challenge Day events. I have witnessed the most beautiful thing we can help these kids create ... unity. For those who have never been I suggest you go & then give your opinion of it. You will be in for quite an awakening.
greenergrass

Findlay, OH

#11 Feb 21, 2012
Do you people understand who the supporters of Challenge Day are? Look at the website. VAN JONES! He is a self admitted communist! This Be the Change mentality is complete indoctrination. They have disguised their community organizing as an anti-bullying program but it really is teaching vulnerable kids to trust complete strangers with their complicated lives. That NOT what I want my kids to learn and it not what I want my tax dollars to go toward. If your kid needs counseling, then go to the school psych or take to a private practice!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Calistoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) Mar 22 Jim_Bakker 17,469
Shannon Nester Mar 19 Jarrod Sinclair 1
Jose Rojo aka klump Mar 18 Steve-O 1
Trump Trip To NKorea Mar 7 Poooon Ptang Parade 1
More Russians In Government Mar 3 Agent Orange Orifice 1
News In-depth: Marijuana equity in the "Green Rush" Feb '17 eye dint say dat 1
Trade Social Security for Wall? Feb '17 Transition Report... 1

Calistoga Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Calistoga Mortgages