K'ville golfers move into first at HVL

Hidden Valley Lake Golf Course certainly learned from its mistake. One year after requiring the Coastal Mountain Conference South golfers to pay to play during a high school match, a decision that turned into a public relations fiasco for proprietors of Lake County's only 18-hole course, Hidden Valley Lake rolled out the red carpet Monday for the ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Golf Lessons

United States

#1 Mar 24, 2009
I still won't play golf at HVL after the HS golf fiasco last year. Looks like it took a year to learn an important lesson about golf course management. Service the customer, and promote the game - real basic stuff. Too bad they didn't remember these concepts a year ago. A lot of golf community goodwill could have been preserved.
Scott

Columbia, MO

#2 Mar 24, 2009
Wasn't that because of HV's GM?
The last Boy Scout

San Jose, CA

#3 Mar 24, 2009
Scott wrote:
Wasn't that because of HV's GM?
Well, if the GM didn't order it, he should know who did. If he doesn't, he's a lousy GM.
Know better

United States

#4 Mar 24, 2009
Vote with your wallet and your feet - spend your money and play golf at other superbly managed golf courses in Lake Co., Napa, and Sonoma. They will treat you right, because they "get it" in the ways that really matter. When and if the HVL managing leadership ever publically apologizes to the HS teams and takes responsibility for the screw up will recreational golfers start to consider returning to play golf there. P.R. and Damage Control, classic business management tasks - so easy to "fix" for those who understand and accept the responsibility that comes with the job, and don't live in a world of denial.
HVL Golfer

Columbia, MO

#5 Mar 24, 2009
"Hidden Valley Lake rolled out the red carpet Monday for the seven teams that make up the South.
"They were very good to us," Kelseyville coach John Berry said. "Just like all the other years we've played here except the last one."

Hidden Valley even provided carts to the golfers on a number of holes that are challenging to walk, especially on the course's hilly back nine.

"They were great," Berry said."

I believe this was there way of apologizing.

HVL course IS the best in Lake County
HVL Goof-ups Galore

United States

#6 Mar 24, 2009
Congrats to the local High School golfers and HS coaches who throughout this ugly unnecessary mess have remained poised and focused on playing the game with integrity and a determination to win for their team.

Rolling out the red carpet afterward is not an apology - it is only a confirmation that an error was made in the first place. A true business-like apology would comprise a timely acknowledgement that a mistake was made, an expressed regret for any inconvenience caused by the mistake, a named person taking full responsibility, steps taken to fully remedy the error, and preventative measures put in place to keep it from happening again.

Let's not forget that the HS golf fiasco was not the only golf related gaff made by HVL in 2008. It was just the first of many more controversial mistakes that followed including the #1 tee flag pole project fiasco, the elimination of the volunteer course marshals, the anemic "public awareness" safety campaign targeting children on the course, the rogue-ish HVL Directors who publically claimed the golf course was "a cash pig", and perhaps the ultimate "coup de gras" mistake with the apparently unwarranted lock-out of the unionized golf maintenance workers during the Thanksgiving holidays.

Let's hope 2009 fares much better. A real apology would be a great place to start, even if it is a year late in coming.
Brian

Half Moon Bay, CA

#7 Mar 27, 2009
HVL Golfer wrote:
"Hidden Valley Lake rolled out the red carpet Monday for the seven teams that make up the South.
"They were very good to us," Kelseyville coach John Berry said. "Just like all the other years we've played here except the last one."
Hidden Valley even provided carts to the golfers on a number of holes that are challenging to walk, especially on the course's hilly back nine.
"They were great," Berry said."
I believe this was there way of apologizing.
HVL course IS the best in Lake County
If my child steals, he not only returns the item or pays for its replacement value, but he also apologizes. How hard is it to say sorry? Does anyone at HVL have balls that you don't hit off a tee? Why can't we know who made that idiotic decision? What are you hiding? Certainly it's not your stupidity.
HVL Resident

United States

#8 Mar 27, 2009
Brian wrote:
<quoted text>
If my child steals, he not only returns the item or pays for its replacement value, but he also apologizes. How hard is it to say sorry? Does anyone at HVL have balls that you don't hit off a tee? Why can't we know who made that idiotic decision? What are you hiding? Certainly it's not your stupidity.
Bingo! So easy, even a Caveman can do it....
Concerned

Bettendorf, IA

#9 Apr 8, 2009
HVL Goof-ups Galore wrote:
Congrats to the local High School golfers and HS coaches who throughout this ugly unnecessary mess have remained poised and focused on playing the game with integrity and a determination to win for their team.
Rolling out the red carpet afterward is not an apology - it is only a confirmation that an error was made in the first place. A true business-like apology would comprise a timely acknowledgement that a mistake was made, an expressed regret for any inconvenience caused by the mistake, a named person taking full responsibility, steps taken to fully remedy the error, and preventative measures put in place to keep it from happening again.
Let's not forget that the HS golf fiasco was not the only golf related gaff made by HVL in 2008. It was just the first of many more controversial mistakes that followed including the #1 tee flag pole project fiasco, the elimination of the volunteer course marshals, the anemic "public awareness" safety campaign targeting children on the course, the rogue-ish HVL Directors who publically claimed the golf course was "a cash pig", and perhaps the ultimate "coup de gras" mistake with the apparently unwarranted lock-out of the unionized golf maintenance workers during the Thanksgiving holidays.
Let's hope 2009 fares much better. A real apology would be a great place to start, even if it is a year late in coming.
I agree!! What the hell is going on here in HVL? Whats up with this new straight black & white cold blooded business type of management? All of these things you mention have all taken place ever since they hired this new GM! He's completely destroyed the moral of the community with this type of management!! People who have invested heavily for the better of the community over many years have been treated like crap!!! And you know, I have to tell you that I was at a party last December in Monterey - 200 + miles from here and when asked where I was from, and told them I was from HVL, most people were aware of the HS golf charge and really started harping about it. They could not believe a golf course would charge HS kids to play in a match!! It's a blemish I'm sure will take a long time for people to forget. Who ever made that decision to do that should (1) be ashamed; and (2) step up and announce your stupidity and apologize! Maybe it's time for the Board of Directors to look into a more community friendly manager!!!
Mark

Columbia, MO

#10 Apr 8, 2009
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree!! What the hell is going on here in HVL? Whats up with this new straight black & white cold blooded business type of management? All of these things you mention have all taken place ever since they hired this new GM! He's completely destroyed the moral of the community with this type of management!! People who have invested heavily for the better of the community over many years have been treated like crap!!! And you know, I have to tell you that I was at a party last December in Monterey - 200 + miles from here and when asked where I was from, and told them I was from HVL, most people were aware of the HS golf charge and really started harping about it. They could not believe a golf course would charge HS kids to play in a match!! It's a blemish I'm sure will take a long time for people to forget. Who ever made that decision to do that should (1) be ashamed; and (2) step up and announce your stupidity and apologize! Maybe it's time for the Board of Directors to look into a more community friendly manager!!!
LOL, You've got to be kidding....you think this GM is going to apologize?
He's as cold as they come.
Ditto That

United States

#11 Apr 9, 2009
All you need is to have seen or met this homeowners association GM once and you will know all you need to know - it is that obvious. He prefers to have others do the dirty work, of course. A real gem. The few HVLA Board members who hired him had their own personal agendas and the community is now paying for it dearly in more ways than just $$$$. A huge mess has been left behind that will take years to clean up.
Uncle Buck

Bettendorf, IA

#12 Apr 9, 2009
Yeah that Union Fiasco was quite a shame! And during the Thankgiving holiday?? Why in the word would our of board of directors and General Manger do such a lousy thing...all over money!! Putting people before money, that's how we treat the employees of HVL? What!?!, am I missing something? Are these people getting paid lavish wages?? I think not!! And the charging of the HS kids to play golf?? Who ever did that should feel very, very stupid!! Just cause you want to make a buck?? Times tough HVL?? You caused people to boycott the golf course over that move!! And while were on a roll, let's hire someone to run the golf course who doesn't know a damn thing about golf!! Who's bright idea was this?? Apparently you can find our pony tailed friend on the practice green 80% of the time, and the other 20% of the time trying to sell homes! Definitely a new dark cloud has settled on our community!!
Your missing

Bettendorf, IA

#13 Apr 10, 2009
your brain...not putting people before money BUT money before people
Glass houses

Oakland, CA

#14 Apr 14, 2009
I see a lot of spewing of very uncalled for comments.

Must be nice to be perfect.......
The Truth Is Perfect

United States

#15 Apr 14, 2009
The blog comments underscore the public and Member outrage caused by the actions of HVLA Management who should know better, and are supposed to be "professionals". Paid to provide desired community services, and accountable when they come up short. Management’s poor performance/behavior on this one is clear to see. No mystery to it, especially if you know some of the people involved. G.H.– No need to attack the messengers if you don't like the message. Keep those stones out in the garden where they can do some good. Like it says on this Topix website..."Be Polite".
The last Boy Scout

San Jose, CA

#16 Apr 17, 2009
HVL thinks it'll go away...but it will come up every time there's an HVL problem or a high school golf problem somewhere as in ...do you remember when HVL tried to charge those high school kids?... and everyone will laugh and someone will say, Yeah, what a bunch of dummies. I wonder whose call that was?
Hockey Moms Unite

United States

#17 Apr 26, 2009
MHS golf team should meet with Langtry Estates and get permission to play at their new golf course being built south of town. Leave HVL and their poor management practices in the dust, and don't look back. Langtry will treat you right. They are a real business that "gets it" unlike the HVL's "new" HOA managment who don't have a clue, lack experience, and are doomed to fail from their own ignorance and arrogance - IMO.
Right

Bettendorf, IA

#18 Apr 28, 2009
Langtry doesn't want a bunch of high schoolers playing golf on their new PRIVATE golf CLUB that is going to be exclusive for the purpose of selling wine. They could care less about the "PR". Besides, HVL golf course is by far the best golf course to practice on for the golf teams. Get over you petty 'oh they charged the high school golfers' and move on. That's how things get better you know, learn from mistakes and MOVE ON........
CMC commissioner

San Jose, CA

#19 Apr 29, 2009
Middletown golfers will be out of HVL like a gun shot as soon as the Langtry Course comes online. That's already been worked out. No one in the MHS admin wants to deal with HVL any more than is necessary. The last incident was the final straw. Yeah, it's working at HVL for the present but it's just a matter of time before they do something else. We're tired of hearing from athletes, parents and their schools about the bad way they've been treated in past matches. Again, Langtry has already signaled a willingness to take the CMC and that's where we're going. They recognize a PR bonanza when they see it and they won't repeat the "treat'em like dirt sins of HVL.
Wow

Napa, CA

#20 Apr 29, 2009
Last I heard the Langtry golf course was tits-up broke and is not going to be finished anytime soon. I'm no big fan of HVL but some of you need to stay updated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Calistoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) 3 hr leashbomb89 16,918
Gang ties alleged in torture case (Jan '10) Nov 17 Big Chuck 1,195
is ebay's 21-day hold on paypal funds illegal? (May '13) Nov 6 SmallSellers 15
Hidden Valley or Cobbsnob Mtn has more prcks? Oct '14 Mguilitard ddeddy 1
Above the law = Berry Oct '14 CA org crime 1
Sears Lakeport cude get RUDER? Oct '14 fq ed mcguillicud 1
Santa Rosa Woman Found Guilty Of 2nd Degree Mur... Oct '14 Sam 1

Calistoga News Video

Calistoga Dating
Find my Match

Calistoga People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Calistoga News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Calistoga

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:24 pm PST

Bleacher Report 8:24PM
Grades for Redskins vs. 49ers
NBC Sports 8:35 PM
Will San Francisco make a run in NFC West?
Bleacher Report 8:48 PM
Will Offensive Woes Cost 49ers a Playoff Spot?
Bleacher Report 9:01 PM
It May Be 'Torture', but 49ers Win Again
Bleacher Report10:14 PM
49ers Can't Afford Poor Offensive Play Versus Seahawks in Week 13