Downtown Vallejo building red-tagged;...

Downtown Vallejo building red-tagged; residents of 17 studio ap...

There are 61 comments on the Vallejo Times-Herald story from Mar 25, 2010, titled Downtown Vallejo building red-tagged; residents of 17 studio ap.... In it, Vallejo Times-Herald reports that:

Vallejo building officials have given an out-of-town property owner until the end of the week to either fix his leaning building or force his low-income tenants to move out.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Vallejo Times-Herald.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
The Wild West

Vallejo, CA

#1 Mar 25, 2010
Aggression by the City? Johnathon Benefield has owned this building for years, has done nothing to improve it, it lookw terrible. Hey Johnathan, would you like all your freinds, relatives and neighbors and racing associates to know you are a slumlord? Just because you live up valley in Calistoga does not mean you can spit on Vallejo. Clean up your building, let the good folks that are hard working stay, and get rid of the drug dealers that we can see Saturday morning run out of your building from the side entrance to deal drugs in the Alley. SHAME ON YOU JOHNATHON BENEFIELD. You want to own section 8 vouchered property in Vallejo, not take care of the property, and one day sell it for a fortune after the tax payers have paid the rent via seciton 8 vouchers for years. It's Vallejo dude, "WE KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS."
The Wild West

Vallejo, CA

#2 Mar 25, 2010
BTW, Jason Benefield owes a lot of money on this building, he has sucked the equity out of it many times over the past 10 years. We may never see the structural work done, that may be the big delay... Just what Vallejo needs, and another "upvally slumlord" who does not maintain his property.
Anonymous

Benicia, CA

#3 Mar 25, 2010
ALL of the old buildings down there, including Downtown Georgia Street, looks real old, and needs a facelift or complete demolition. Downtown will never be in a position to attract quality modern moneymaking businesses unless a 21st century look is setup there. Complete reconstruction is in order.
Living In Oz

Vallejo, CA

#4 Mar 25, 2010
It's about time the City was agressive. The wall is noticably leaning... that did not happen within the last two weeks. Where has the owner been and what does he expect with an 80 year old building. It's time this City stood up, played hardball with property owners who rent the buildings and do nothing to maintain the property!! Take care of your property, Jason Benefield and quit whining.

Since: Jun 09

Walnut Creek, CA

#5 Mar 25, 2010
Another property owner that needs to be required to live in his delapidated rental property.
Call Jonothan Benefield

Vacaville, CA

#8 Mar 25, 2010
Bankruptcy Fraud Is Latest in String of Complaints Against Owners (Jonothan Benefield)of Oroville Inn

http://www.financialeveryday.com/bankruptcy-f...

Since: Jun 09

Walnut Creek, CA

#10 Mar 25, 2010
There are requirements to qualify for section 8. If any of his renters are not abiding by them he can get rid of them. He chooses to rent to section 8 and not enforce the requirements. No pity for him or Daisy. They are both slumlords who could care less what happens in their buildings as long as that gov't check keeps coming.
When the walls are "visibly leaning inward" that is a problem that has taken months if not years to develop. No excuse for this to still be an issue.
what

United States

#11 Mar 25, 2010
As a fellow Property Manager Yes, there is a problem that needs to be fixed, and should have been fixed a long time ago, however I have dealt with the city of vallejo, they do slack off. It took me six months to get one simple permit aproved,and it was no where close to the permit this guy needs. As for section 8 it is not as simple as they are not following the rules evict them.
Mr Vallejo

Sacramento, CA

#12 Mar 25, 2010
CRRAAAZY wrote:
Another property owner that needs to be required to live in his delapidated rental property.
100% agree
Native Vallejoan

Vallejo, CA

#13 Mar 25, 2010
Slum lord to a property on Ho/crack blvd.
GEE

San Ramon, CA

#14 Mar 25, 2010
Just by googling the address, it does not appear the building is cosmetically challenged on the "outside" as mentioned!

If it is the one story structure with the turquoise awnings and the beautiful tall windows, I have to say I have seen worse.

That however does not excuse the building falling into dangerous,structural decay, so serious that it has to be red tagged....and all for the sole purpose of being a guaranteed ATM for the owner!

Yep, it looks like we have ourselves another slumlord using Vallejo as a doormat!
A Tenant

United States

#15 Mar 25, 2010
The roof has leaked into the interior of the building for years. Everyone has complained but no response. He is a slumlord. He is getting what he deserves.
Slumking

United States

#18 Mar 25, 2010
It wouldn't be a hard to change Oroville with Vallejo reading through this. I feel sorry for the residents who unknowingly became part of this story.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/bankr...

"...low-income and some disabled residents of the Oroville Inn (2066 Bird Street, Oroville)-- has been powerless even though Benefield had been cited by the Oroville City Council for maintaining a property that is a "nuisance" and "substandard" with more than 700 violations of health and safety codes. On January 2, 2009 the owners of the Oroville Inn denied the City's request for a voluntary inspection resulting in a warrant which forced an inspection on January 22, 2009. So horrific were the conditions found there that immediate improvements "or demolition of the property" was ordered by the Court. To date, no improvements have been made.

"My clients have been living in fear and squalor for years," says Bradshaw. "The inhuman conditions at the Oroville Inn are shameless. Rats would be hard pressed to call it a suitable home -- and in fact, they do."

This past October, Benefield was called in front of the Oroville City Council to address the violations and to answer dozens of residents afraid to live in -- or leave -- the Inn. The evidence produced a troubling portrait of a building owner who had sought out low-income tenants because he believed they would not complain at the deplorable conditions at the Oroville Inn. A compelling piece of evidence was a video shot on the premises in 2009 which provided a vivid visual account of the property's deplorable living conditions including danger from electrocution, carbon monoxide poisoning, mold and exposure to disease.

"One unit has water leaking through its ceiling every time the neighbor above flushes his toilet," says Bradshaw. "Without exaggeration, the entire property is a petting zoo for cockroaches, mice and other vermin -- the last word which also, I believe, described the building's owners."

According to Bradshaw's complaint on behalf of the Oroville Inn residents, Benefield has attempted to skirt his duties by stating the Inn's status as an Historic Landmark exempts him from the usual Building codes.

A 72-page complaint has been filed by Bradshaw in the United States District Court in Sacramento listing in gory detail a pattern of criminal neglect.

"To prey on the poor and the weak is as low as one can go," said Bradshaw. "I would ask Mr. Benefield if he has no shame, but I think it's a rhetorical question."
Vallejoan

Vacaville, CA

#19 Mar 25, 2010
what wrote:
As a fellow Property Manager Yes, there is a problem that needs to be fixed, and should have been fixed a long time ago, however I have dealt with the city of vallejo, they do slack off. It took me six months to get one simple permit aproved,and it was no where close to the permit this guy needs. As for section 8 it is not as simple as they are not following the rules evict them.
These landlords LIKE that the city slacks off - it allows them to get away with the crap they do. They aren't the types who want to do the right thing. They have tapped into the government money trough. These landlords are worse than slackers on welfare.

Did you check out the lawsuit link posted above? Being a slumlord is a pattern for this guy.
home boy from Vallejo

United States

#20 Mar 25, 2010
Well it's about time,that slumlord have a famliy of 6 living in one of his studio apt. right now,,and he let's illeagle's move in his studio's,,and I know for a fact that their be people smoking crack in the hallway.It's a shame that he is charging 520.00 a month to live in a dead trap.,,something need to be done about slumlord's that don't care of, the property's that needs just simple maintence,and dont what to fix's thing cause they thing it's too much money ,to do the right thing
Glitterdome

San Rafael, CA

#21 Mar 25, 2010
Wow, the City is getting aggressive—IT’S A MIRACLE!!
home boy from Vallejo

United States

#22 Mar 25, 2010
wow it.s a shame how ignorant and just plan dumd some white people are. Saying it's the black that ruin a place, I have seen many place,s that white people lived at and how they trash the house being on that meth,how nasty they keep their place,how their baby's have flea's bite on them cause the dog is craping on the floor and they are too high and nasty to try too clean it up . You are so ignorant,!!!HAVE A GOOD IGNORANT LIFE
Vallejoan

Vacaville, CA

#23 Mar 25, 2010
Bradshaw & Associates On Wednesday March 24, 2010, 3:45 pm
SAN FRANCISCO, CA--(Marketwire - 03/24/10)- In the words of Oroville Inn "a seismic disaster waiting to happen." And according to San Francisco Attorney Drexel A. Bradshaw ( http://www.bradshawassociates.com/ ) who represents more than two dozen residents, the Oroville Inn's owner, Jonothan Benefield, is not only criminally negligent but also engaged in serious bankruptcy fraud.
"Add to Benefield's list of sins a shell game in which he is not only mistreating his tenants but trying to illegally avoid a mountain of ill gotten debt," said Bradshaw, who has filed suit to force Benefield to live up to his obligations and make financial restitution to the tenants, many of whom have seen their health deteriorate due to their residency at the Oroville Inn.
"The Oroville Inn is owned by Walnut Hill Enterprises, LLC. A Chapter 13 was filed by W.H.E., LLC.-- a similar but not identical company name," Bradshaw explains. "These are not the same entity. The bankruptcy petition contends the bankruptcy estate has less than $50,000 in assets, and does not include my clients, the tenants, as creditors. Despite the fact that Walnut Hill Enterprises, LLC has not filed for bankruptcy, the bankruptcy attorney has asserted that a stay is in effect, meaning we can't move forward with the complaint on behalf of the Oroville Inn tenants. This is totally false. Adding insult to injury, the bankruptcy attorney sent a threatening notice to each tenant stating that they had to keep paying rent. In simple language: That's bankruptcy fraud."
Until Bradshaw's efforts, dozens of low-income and some disabled residents of the Oroville Inn (2066 Bird Street, Oroville)-- has been powerless even though Benefield had been cited by the Oroville City Council for maintaining a property that is a "nuisance" and "substandard" with more than 700 violations of health and safety codes. On January 2, 2009 the owners of the Oroville Inn denied the City's request for a voluntary inspection resulting in a warrant which forced an inspection on January 22, 2009. So horrific were the conditions found there that immediate improvements "or demolition of the property" was ordered by the Court. To date, no improvements have been made.
"My clients have been living in fear and squalor for years," says Bradshaw. "The inhuman conditions at the Oroville Inn are shameless. Rats would be hard pressed to call it a suitable home -- and in fact, they do."
This past October, Benefield was called in front of the Oroville City Council to address the violations and to answer dozens of residents afraid to live in -- or leave -- the Inn. The evidence produced a troubling portrait of a building owner who had sought out low-income tenants because he believed they would not complain at the deplorable conditions at the Oroville Inn. A compelling piece of evidence was a video shot on the premises in 2009 which provided a vivid visual account of the property's deplorable living conditions including danger from electrocution, carbon monoxide poisoning, mold and exposure to disease.
"One unit has water leaking through its ceiling every time the neighbor above flushes his toilet," says Bradshaw. "Without exaggeration, the entire property is a petting zoo for cockroaches, mice and other vermin -- the last word which also, I believe, described the building's owners."
According to Bradshaw's complaint on behalf of the Oroville Inn residents, Benefield has attempted to skirt his duties by stating the Inn's status as an Historic Landmark exempts him from the usual Building codes.
A 72-page complaint has been filed by Bradshaw in the United States District Court in Sacramento listing in gory detail a pattern of criminal neglect.
"To prey on the poor and the weak is as low as one can go," said Bradshaw. "I would ask Mr. Benefield if he has no shame, but I think it's a rhetorical question."
Vallejoan

Vacaville, CA

#25 Mar 25, 2010
I hope 1717 Sonoma isn't as deplorable as the Oroville Inn. Read more Orovile posts at http://www.topix.com/forum/source/chico-enter...
Carlitos Way

Oakland, CA

#26 Mar 25, 2010
Hey Johnathon, will you let your wonderful tenants stay with you up in beutiful Calistoga? I hear the air is much sweeter up there no?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Calistoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) 5 hr Fair Balanced 17,834
Turds from Outer Space? (Apr '16) Oct 18 N A S A Honkers 6
News Wildfires, now up to 100 miles wide, threaten m... Oct 18 OneWomynRiot 3
Derby Connecticut man threatened with Human sac... Oct 15 Jesse Rishel 1
News California wildfires: Crews search for traces o... Oct 15 anonymous 1
News Boiling river of red wine emerges from smolderi... Oct 14 Rev Don Wildmoan 8
News The Latest: California's senators call for hast... Oct 13 Rattlesnake Pete 50

Calistoga Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Calistoga Mortgages