Editorial: Water proposal off on wrong foot

Full story: Chico Enterprise-Record

Our view: A company that wants to do business in Orland wouldn't even tell city leaders or residents the company name at first, which seems odd.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 18 of18
Betsy Phair

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2009

I think that it is very interesting. I am from McCloud at the base of Mt. Shasta, where the water bottlers are guzzling amazing quantities of water from multiple straws! Nestle is represented by ClearPath, a consulting/lobbying firm for large corporations. I would not be surprised if Crystal Geyser were too! Interesting. Joan Smith Freeman,former BOS in Siskiyou County,and lobyist for Nestle, is married to Gary Freeman. Gary Freeman is a partner in ClearPath, a "consulting" firm for big business. He is also a former BOS in Glen County.

The Freemans have pushed for both Nestle and Crystal Geyser in Siskiyou County.(All of this is thinly veiled as carying deeply for the community.) Money talks. Follow the money. Once Crystal Geyser establishes a footprint in the community, you won't be able to stop them. And, your water will be gone! Is this what you want when California and the farmers are in much need of water? Protect your future!!
PENELOPE GLENN COUNTY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2009

Betsy Phair wrote:
I think that it is very interesting. I am from McCloud at the base of Mt. Shasta, where the water bottlers are guzzling amazing quantities of water from multiple straws! Nestle is represented by ClearPath, a consulting/lobbying firm for large corporations. I would not be surprised if Crystal Geyser were too! Interesting. Joan Smith Freeman,former BOS in Siskiyou County,and lobyist for Nestle, is married to Gary Freeman. Gary Freeman is a partner in ClearPath, a "consulting" firm for big business. He is also a former BOS in Glen County.
The Freemans have pushed for both Nestle and Crystal Geyser in Siskiyou County.(All of this is thinly veiled as carying deeply for the community.) Money talks. Follow the money. Once Crystal Geyser establishes a footprint in the community, you won't be able to stop them. And, your water will be gone! Is this what you want when California and the farmers are in much need of water? Protect your future!!
Thank you so much for this information. Is Freeman's current wife the one he dumped his ex-wife for? Do you know? Think that's what I heard.
Personal Life No BS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2009

Who gives a care about Freeman's personal life?

Why does anyone care?

Leave them alone- is their personal relationships affecting you? Are you jealous of their knowledge and common sense that is so lacking in this community because of negativity? Get over it!

You guys are the typical Orland Busy-Bodies into negative gossip, negative growth, and negative drama! Get over it! WE need jobs here!

Water gone? Then lets not sell any to So Cal... DUH!!!!!!!!!
Betsy Phair

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2009

My point was not to labor over the Freeman's personal life, it was to point out that they are in Big Business with payoffs, both in Siskiyou County and in Glen County.

She is a registered lobbyist in California. I haven't checked on him. I know she has been working directly with Dave Palais, water seeker for Nestle. Nestle and Crystal Geyser work together all over the world, even though they are "competitors".

Should the state of California and the farmers be able to use spring water over those foreign bottling corporations who make a huge profit off our water,and deplete the resources? It takes 2 1/2 times the water that goes into a bottle; water that is lost as waste, to process one bottle of water.

Once these foreign corporations have established a footprint, they can also sue the county, the state and the U.S. government under NAFTA trade agreements if they don't get the "allotment" they were "promised".

Before "the powers that be" rush into any agreement to sell water, they need to investigate all the ramifications. I am certain that they will not find the jobs,especially with increase automation in the industry, but only a negative impact to the county.
Agua Prieta

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2009

Betsy Phair wrote:
My point was not to labor over the Freeman's personal life, it was to point out that they are in Big Business with payoffs, both in Siskiyou County and in Glen County.
She is a registered lobbyist in California. I haven't checked on him. I know she has been working directly with Dave Palais, water seeker for Nestle. Nestle and Crystal Geyser work together all over the world, even though they are "competitors".
Should the state of California and the farmers be able to use spring water over those foreign bottling corporations who make a huge profit off our water,and deplete the resources? It takes 2 1/2 times the water that goes into a bottle; water that is lost as waste, to process one bottle of water.
Once these foreign corporations have established a footprint, they can also sue the county, the state and the U.S. government under NAFTA trade agreements if they don't get the "allotment" they were "promised".
Before "the powers that be" rush into any agreement to sell water, they need to investigate all the ramifications. I am certain that they will not find the jobs,especially with increase automation in the industry, but only a negative impact to the county.
Heck water is sold all the time to So Cal, where have you been?! You are one of the typical NIMBYs of Glenn County! If you could benefit and make money you would do it in a heartbeat!

Who cares if Mrs. Freeman is a lobbyist, and she and her husband are for Big Business people? Good for her, at least she works!

Since you are so knowledgeable, how many acre feet of water was the plant going to use? And how many acres will the acre feet use will irrigate a farm/ranch? Please post when you have the answer!

Go to the gunfight with a loaded gun before you make your remarks! Or better yet, why dont you get a bunch more of you NIMBYs and get a collection of funds and buy your own city and you can do whatever the heck you want!
PENELOPE GLENN COUNTY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2009

Agua Prieta wrote:
<quoted text>
Heck water is sold all the time to So Cal! If you could benefit and make money you would do it in a heartbeat!
You seem to be projecting what you would do or maybe are doing.
Since you are so knowledgeable, how many acre feet of water was the plant going to use? And how many acres will the acre feet use will irrigate a farm/ranch? Don't expect us to buy the papers and feed you the info on acre feet.

get a collection of funds and buy your own city and you can do whatever the heck you want!
Whooooo! Really told on yourself with that one. How long have you held title to Orland?
PENELOPE GLENN COUNTY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2009

Betsy Phair wrote:
Thanks, Betsy. Please know that the majority of us here are grateful for your input and aren't just looking out for our own interests. There's also the issue of a toxic dry cleaning solvent plume that could be sucked into the Orland area groundwater supply if the bottling does happen. There are a lot of idiots in this county and we'll surely be banged around by a few of them for our daring efforts to protect a precious commodity.
Betsy Phair

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2009

In the initial contract that Nestle had with the McCloud water board, they were going to take one of the largest water draws ever in the United States for their bottling. They were going to take 1,250 gallons a minute AND 1600 acre feet per year. That was in the contract.

It took over 2000 comments to the Planning Commission in Siskyou County to try to get them to see that the "environmental" studies,(that Nestle paid for,) were bogus.
It took the Attorney General, Jerry Brown, to threaten that he was going to sue Nestle. They backed down immediately. They then went to the water board in McCloud, basically, the next day. Here again, Nestle offered to do inadequate, "bogus" studies.

Three out of the five members on the water board were "indirectly" given $2,500 from Nestle along with Joan Smith-Freeman's help to run an effective campaign.
There is a majority of us in the community, even the silent ones, who oppose Nestle coming into our little town. Their basic proposal was to build a million square foot bottling facility at the base of scenic Mt. Shasta in McCloud, a town whose current economy is based on tourism. Be very, very careful before signing anything with any bottlers. Water is the right of the people, not for profit by big corporations. Any paltry jobs would never pay for the havoc they will ruin on the county.
PENELOPE GLENN COUNTY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2009

Some of us kept an eye on what was going on in McCloud and never thought at attempt would be made here. Live and learn. Gary Freeman was a honcho here with PG&E for a long time. Then he got on the BOS. He never impressed me. Had no idea until you spoke up that he was involved in this attempted water grab, too. He retains some influence in this area. Certain kinds of small town folk are easy to impress and sway. Please continue posting, BETSY. Your input is valued.

Since: Oct 08

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2009

just follow the money trail. this is all very interesting coming from a city that is not requiring an environmental impact report, the same city that steps on genuine building projects proposed by local citizens on one hand and ignores outsiders who want to come here because the land and services are cheap. Yup if you follow the money trail and remember if it sounds too good to be true it most likely is.
What puzzles me is the continual campaign to blmae the contamination of a plume of water running through Orland on the Orland Cleaners, when in days gone by the city continues to ignore the contamination from PG&E that has located right across the street from the cleaners; and the old Orland Opera House that has housed numerous environmentally unfriendly businesses over the past 100 years. And yes I have seen with my own eyes a previous owner of that building refuse to let the area around the old building be tested for contamination. Has anyone ever tested the PG&E property, naught. If you really wanted to find out where the contamination is coming from what about Duche's, John Taylor Fertilizer, Simplot, the old gas station that used to sit on the corner across the street from the Orland Cleaners, or perhaps the old car dealership that used to be right next door where Creative Comp has their bulk mailing operation.
And while you're digging up dirt you might want to dig up the beautiful new entrance to Orland, like right on the corner of 6th and Walker, when the underground pipe and tanks were covered over, I saw it, the city/cal trans ignored it, they're still in the ground. Any one think about what might be under the old Mobil station where R&R has their cars?
I say make them do and EIR, obviously they've got plenty of money, make them wait, make them be just like someone who tries to build a restaurant and three years later the city is still screwing them; or make them wait like they did to Doc Bogart or Floors by Ray, or Farwood, and all the rest who have tried to make Orland a better place. and you can bet one thing if Freeman is involved it stinks to high heaven as long as he's getting paid who cares. been here and seen it
Betsy Phair

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2009

What I have found, even on the most intimate, small town governing boards....people, including the "leaders" are influenced by how well their pockets are lined. Greed!

For the folks who are interested in the water issues in McCloud and elsewhere in the U.S., become familiar with the McCloud Watershed Council's dot org. website. It works as a way to inform the uninformed, or people who wish to learn more about pertinent issues before making decisions that could effect inhabitants of the area for years. We are all stewards of the environment for our grandchildren. Water is scarce. Clean, uncontaminated land is scarce.

Our water is pure Gold! The bottlers know this. If someone is accepting their proposals with little investigation, you can bet your boopy that these people are getting paid off, or have a stake in the outcome! Perhaps stock in Nestle?

In McCloud, the "leaders" even though they say they are open to becoming informed, listen only to the propaganda from Nestle, and ignore the "messages" and education from the rest of us who have no vested interest. Why would that be? Certainly not the jobs, or as a way to revive the former mill town. The jobs will be virtually non-existant.

I believe Nestle never intended to build a bottling plant in McCloud. They dangled that carrot in order to get the "water rights". They will not be able to mitigate the impacts of the increased, extremely slow water bottling trucks up the grade of Scenic highway 89. They dangled "jobs" and "benefits" .....They will have to pipe the water....gravity feed from the McCloud springs and then truck it downhill to another bottling plant closer to Mt. Shasta.

What do you think?
PENELOPE GLENN COUNTY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2009

Thanks Betsy and Cisco ... I was told years ago that boards and councils in the boonies are totally impressed by anyone coming from 200 miles to 400 miles away, treating the newbies or visitors as visiting royalty, especially if they're flashing bucks or dropping some powerful names. I endorse your belief, Betsy, that Nestle was only after water rights. I've said often that we in the current day are seeing a Water Rush accompanied by a new form of claim jumping. And this grab is for something more precious than gold.
Betsy Phair

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2009

Thanks....I think that Glen County is being "hoodwinked". Crystal Geyser is not individually owned. It is a French Corporation, Crystal Geyser Roxanne. Do a little research. Do not accept at face value what these "big cheeses" tell you. Research Crystal Geyser. So far, it sounds like smoke n' mirrors to me; dishonesty from the get-go! We deal with this from Nestle all the time. They will tell people what they think you want to hear. Ever heard of snake oil salesmen? Are these people you can really trust? Are they really "good neighbors"? If you do trust them, without doing your due diligence, you have only yourself to blame!Do it before it's too late!
PENELOPE GLENN COUNTY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2009

Betsy Phair wrote:
Thanks....I think that Glen County is being "hoodwinked". Crystal Geyser is not individually owned. It is a French Corporation, Crystal Geyser Roxanne. Do a little research. Do not accept at face value what these "big cheeses" tell you. Research Crystal Geyser. So far, it sounds like smoke n' mirrors to me; dishonesty from the get-go! We deal with this from Nestle all the time. They will tell people what they think you want to hear. Ever heard of snake oil salesmen? Are these people you can really trust? Are they really "good neighbors"? If you do trust them, without doing your due diligence, you have only yourself to blame!Do it before it's too late!
Thanks again. Believe there is some research underway, but not at the Orland City level.
V Gorilla

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Water plant issue is more than just losing the water. It's about jobs and traffic and waste products. It's also about the lies and half-truths told the local citizens by both Crystal Geyser (owned by a large Japanese drug company) and the City of Orland (pop. 6000-7000) It's hard to trust what is being said by anyone when there have been so many hidden agendas.

Yes, local people are doing some research, but it isn't easy to know if the real estate agent is married to the town councilman or who is going to be getting a nice "Christmas Bonus". The rumor mills are running wild and the understanding is that the whole thing is a "Done Deal" with the Orland City Counsel doing whatever they want, no matter what anyone says. There is also contracts written so loosely that the water company has no oversite and the citizens no recourse.
Betsy Phair

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Contracts made by the city council or any other municipal entity can be challenged. It can be done through a referendum. You need to do it quickly. We did not realize that in McCloud and the statute of limitations ran out. Move quickly. It will cost for an election, but what the cost of that will be very small, indeed, compared to what could happen when your water sources are depelted. Hey, isn't this the third drought year for California? Aren't their battles right now in the delta between fishermen and environmentalists and farmers? Water bottlers need to be thrown into the mix.

It is very possible that the council members have had their individual pockets greased. Go to the Attorney General. He is watching Nestle. I have no vested in Orland. I am just watching water issues.
PENELOPE GLENN COUNTY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Betsy Phair wrote:
Contracts made by the city council or any other municipal entity can be challenged. It can be done through a referendum. You need to do it quickly. We did not realize that in McCloud and the statute of limitations ran out. Move quickly. It will cost for an election, but what the cost of that will be very small, indeed, compared to what could happen when your water sources are depelted. Hey, isn't this the third drought year for California? Aren't their battles right now in the delta between fishermen and environmentalists and farmers? Water bottlers need to be thrown into the mix.
It is very possible that the council members have had their individual pockets greased. Go to the Attorney General. He is watching Nestle. I have no vested in Orland. I am just watching water issues.
Thanks, Betsy. I am too.
Robert C Eberhardt

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2009

If we allow our water to be taken by anyone, they will never give it back, regardless of the aquafer level. And if everyones wells go dry all around the area because their well is deeper, (oh well).

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 18 of18
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Calistoga News Video

•••
•••

Calistoga Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Calistoga People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE