Orland City Council hears first wave ...

Orland City Council hears first wave of water worries

There are 11 comments on the Chico Enterprise-Record story from Aug 21, 2009, titled Orland City Council hears first wave of water worries. In it, Chico Enterprise-Record reports that:

For the first time since Crystal Geyser Water Co. revealed it may locate a plant in Orland, the City Council heard comments at an official meeting from concerned citizens who oppose the project.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chico Enterprise-Record.

Jim Brobeck

United States

#1 Aug 21, 2009
How many plastic bottled water companies will try to move to Glenn County to tap the 10,000 year old Tuscan water if this secretive company gets its way?
hoover mock

United States

#2 Aug 21, 2009
water in the north state is our biggest natural resourse we have. southern california needs our water and we should not sell our water to a private sourse that will only profit from us. water is in limited supply and we must use it for our growth- farming and our needs before making monies from a company sitting in Calistoga that has also their own wells and springs-
Stony Creek Resident

United States

#3 Aug 21, 2009
Here we go again, everyone in orland complaining about opportunities for the city and its residents, lets chase this company out of orland as well, please tell them to relocate to red bluff too, just like walmart did a few years ago....i live in orland, i am tired of people complaining about the economy here, how we have no retail, how we have to shop in chico, it is time we stop the residents that do not want orland to grow...it is time to allow orland to grow...
What - me worry

United States

#4 Aug 21, 2009
Jim Brobeck wrote:
How many plastic bottled water companies will try to move to Glenn County to tap the 10,000 year old Tuscan water if this secretive company gets its way?
The Tuscan layer is rather deep in Glenn County, something like 2,000' so to protect it, Orland can mandate that drilling goes no deeper than 1,000'. The other "shallower" layer is the Stony Creek aluvial fan that seems to have lots of water. 160 acre feet of water is what is delivered to a 50 acre orchard. The key to success of over-draft is to control the amount of water that is pumped and if you do that, you will also control other farm wells. Be careful what you ask for.
PENELOPE GLENN COUNTY

United States

#5 Aug 21, 2009
Jim Brobeck wrote:
Jim, I read in a different thread some time back that a former Glenn County PG&E head and county supervisor, Gary Freeman, along with his new wife (a former Siskiyou County supervisor) are involved in this in some way. Speculation was Freeman's involvement provided grease for the company to make the silent slide into Orland. Freeman also had something to do with economic development (actually, lack of) in Glenn County. Could also explain why Bruce Roundy sits grinning like the Cheshire Cat as citizens express worry.
Jim Brobeck

United States

#6 Aug 22, 2009
This project was proposed anonymously to the Glenn Colusa Irrigation District at one of thier board meetings about a year ago. The representative for the as yet un-named company didn't bother to attend the meeting so the board didn't give it much serious attention then.
PENELOPE GLENN COUNTY

United States

#7 Aug 22, 2009
Jim Brobeck wrote:
This project was proposed anonymously to the Glenn Colusa Irrigation District at one of thier board meetings about a year ago. The representative for the as yet un-named company didn't bother to attend the meeting so the board didn't give it much serious attention then.
Maybe the company is ashamed to identify itself because its corporate officials are named Bullwinkle, Rocky, Boris and Natasha. If first application was at Glenn-Colusa, I'd think what they're really after is the Tuscan Aquifer. I remember when southern Calif. interests applied for and got okays to tap into Stony Gorge Reservoir for municipal needs south of us. Then E-R reporter, Bob Peterson, wrote extensively about what was happening, and all, or most, of Glenn County either decided it wasn't their problem, or figured any money coming in to the county was okay, no matter the means it derived from. This really is playing like an absurd Saturday morning cartoon, no offense to stars of the Bullwinkle show intended.
Lade Lande

Palmdale, CA

#8 Aug 24, 2009
Roundy is probably a household name in Orland/Chico. Anybody reading this article outside of Chico will not know who Roundy is (unless they do a search). You could have put Mayor in front of his name.
PENELOPE GLENN COUNTY

United States

#9 Aug 24, 2009
Lade Lande wrote:
Roundy is probably a household name in Orland/Chico. Anybody reading this article outside of Chico will not know who Roundy is (unless they do a search). You could have put Mayor in front of his name.
My bad. I'm still adjusting to the idea that anyone reads posts in here from outside the general Chico area. I'm tech-challenged.
Orland Mom

Huntington Beach, CA

#10 Aug 24, 2009
We live in the country and we have a well, as do all of our neighbors. Right now we have a 3 year drought. Two of our neighbor's wells are pumping up air bubbles and mud. If this company is allowed to pump out water from the land, how many wells will go dry, not just farm wells, but homes with kids, elderly people and ordinary families. Few families can afford to have a new, deeper well drilled. Just what are we to do?
PENELOPE GLENN COUNTY

United States

#11 Aug 24, 2009
Orland Mom wrote:
We live in the country and we have a well, as do all of our neighbors. Right now we have a 3 year drought. Two of our neighbor's wells are pumping up air bubbles and mud. If this company is allowed to pump out water from the land, how many wells will go dry, not just farm wells, but homes with kids, elderly people and ordinary families. Few families can afford to have a new, deeper well drilled. Just what are we to do?
Lobby the heck out of the City Council.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Calistoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) Sat Fair Balanced 17,497
Mart-A-Lardo Becomes State May 25 trump4ever 1
16 Big Trump Statues Arrive May 20 TrumP4Ever 1
Sonoma County Superior Court Judge James Bertoli (Oct '12) May 19 Gerald Smith 61
News Gang ties alleged in torture case (Jan '10) May 3 Judy shank 1,217
Review: Express Auto Funding (Jan '09) Apr 29 Greg engel 27
New Tax Plan Success Apr '17 Trumpstein 1

Calistoga Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Calistoga Mortgages