Pennsylvania death row's biggest thre...

Pennsylvania death row's biggest threat: dying of natural causes

There are 26 comments on the The Morning Call story from Jul 26, 2009, titled Pennsylvania death row's biggest threat: dying of natural causes. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Ten years ago, Gary Heidnik had two slices of cheese pizza and a couple of cups of black coffee, met with his daughter, and spent the rest of the day on his bed or pacing his cell.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Nautilus1

Since: Feb 09

Jupiter, FL

#22 Jul 29, 2009
His_Shadow wrote:
For Obama our Lord God and Savior we must hope by Science these people will live out there lives with HBO in there prison cells!
Leave it to him and they will be invited to the White House for a beer.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#23 Jul 29, 2009
SomeRealityPlease wrote:
It's a good thing that PA has had so few executions, as more and more of those sentenced to death are found to be innocent. You rush-to-judgment types love the idea of swift and sure executions, but that's not 'justice'-- it's just preventing anyone from finding out about the misconduct by prosecutors [and in some cases, the police].
For example: The most recent Lehigh County case where the convict was released from death row [Dennis Counterman]. The prosecuting DA whited out info on the police reports and worked with the lead investigator to solicit incriminating testimony and eliminate anything that conflicted.
The death penalty, like much of the rest of the criminal justice system, shows a huge bias against the poor and racial and ethnic minorities. The Supreme Court found this and the ABA has confirmed it, but the DAs and legislators refuse to deal with it.
Learn some facts before you support state-run homicide.
Not really sure where part of this is going. BUT the ABA did NOT "confirm it." You might be interested in reading the following:

"The materials contained herein represent the assessment solely of the ABA Death Penalty
Moratorium Implementation Project and the Pennsylvania Death Penalty Assessment
Team and have not been approved by the House of Delegates or the Board of Governors
of the American Bar Association and, accordingly, should not be construed as
representing the policy of the American Bar Association.
These materials and any forms or agreements herein are intended for educational and
informational purposes only.
This document has been produced with the financial assistance of the European Union.
The contents of this report are the sole responsibility of the American Bar Association
and can under no circumstances be regarded as reflecting the position of the European
Union.
Significant portions of the research were performed on Westlaw courtesy of West Group.
Copyright 2007, American Bar Association

Not only is it NOT the policy of the ABA, but it was funded by the EUROPEAN UNION.
blowmand

Pittsburgh, PA

#24 Jul 29, 2009
Carla

Philadelphia, PA

#25 Jul 29, 2009
I do not oppose the death penalty in certain situations. What I do find interesting is the fact that no one has even mentioned the fact that there are many cases today being overturned due to DNA evidence. One thing about the death penalty, it is pretty final. I do believe there are innocent people sitting in jail. We need to use this new technology, and if it means taking more time to be sure, I am not opposed to that either.

Since: Jul 09

Lewistown, PA

#26 Jul 30, 2009
Carla wrote:
I do not oppose the death penalty in certain situations. What I do find interesting is the fact that no one has even mentioned the fact that there are many cases today being overturned due to DNA evidence. One thing about the death penalty, it is pretty final. I do believe there are innocent people sitting in jail. We need to use this new technology, and if it means taking more time to be sure, I am not opposed to that either.
Yes , and How do you know all this einstein?
Carla

Philadelphia, PA

#27 Jul 30, 2009
Grinchy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes , and How do you know all this einstein?
I know this because I listen to the news and read many newspapers and magazines. I also have an understanding of DNA and have worked in an area where research continues on this particular science. It is more reliable than identification through a line-up. I am not an "Einstein" you fool.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Verydice Jul 20 Believe 1
News Tucker Carlson confronts filmmaker about bizarr... Jul 20 Parden Pard 5
Where have all buildings gone? Jul '17 Harry 1
News First woman police officer hired in Confluence (Feb '08) Jul '17 Wow 19
Chris Stanfield Mar '17 Haywood 1
News Exchange student neglect may lead to reform (Jul '09) Mar '17 Bigbuggie 16
joe lopez of mazz (Dec '08) Feb '17 redraidergal 39

California Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance