Workload limits may aid patients, nurses | The Columbus Dispatch

When nurses care for fewer patients, those patients are less likely to die in the hospital and the nurses are less likely to burn out and become dissatisfied with their jobs, according to a new study. Full Story
gracie

Dublin, OH

#1 Apr 20, 2010
I would go back to floor nursing if Ohios nurse/patient ratio was the same as Californias. I would like to see the people apposed to mandated ratios be a patient for a few days. I refuse to put my license and patients lives on the line until we have safe ratios.
tipusnr

Columbus, OH

#2 Apr 20, 2010
What happens when enough nurses aren't available? Do hospitals stop taking patients? Not trying to be smart...just asking.
Topper

Marysville, OH

#3 Apr 20, 2010
the problem with ratios is the assumption that every patient requires an equal amount of care...
There are just so many variables...
Age, pre-admission condition, attitude...
People do not respond equally to medical treatments.

A nurse might have 5 - 6 patients that require minimal care....and the following week, on the same floor 2 or 3 that tax her/him to the limit
Topper

Marysville, OH

#4 Apr 20, 2010
gracie wrote:
I would go back to floor nursing if Ohios nurse/patient ratio was the same as Californias. I would like to see the people apposed to mandated ratios be a patient for a few days. I refuse to put my license and patients lives on the line until we have safe ratios.
with your selfish attitude, you, and the patients, are better off with you off the floors
Motts RN

Columbus, OH

#5 Apr 20, 2010
Topper wrote:
the problem with ratios is the assumption that every patient requires an equal amount of care...
There are just so many variables...
Age, pre-admission condition, attitude...
People do not respond equally to medical treatments.
A nurse might have 5 - 6 patients that require minimal care....and the following week, on the same floor 2 or 3 that tax her/him to the limit
I agree with Topper...
cher

Columbus, OH

#6 Apr 20, 2010
I just retired from a nursing position in a hospital where all the nurses I know feel burned out from too many mandated protocols, to many patients to 1 nurse, a punitive atmosphere and no raises in 2 years. I was lucky. My husband is still working and has health insurance.
House RN

Columbus, OH

#7 Apr 20, 2010
I agree with Gracie, many more nurses would remain working on the floors if there was a mandated ratio. The ratios should be set and then the facilites would be forced to hire adequate numbers of nurses. As it stands now nurses are being overworked and patients are suffering. As for Topper you are right there are so many variables, so why don't we set the numbers to error on the side of caution and patient safety. To many times without the mandate, nurses are forced to put their licence on the line because if inadequate staffing. You are a moron and obviously have never worked on the floors. A nurse has to be a little selfish to protect themselves and their license from ending up in a lawsuit. Maybe you can tell the ladies and gentleman of the jury why you made that medication error because of the 'unexpected' surge of high risk patient and the lack of staffing.
Topper

Marysville, OH

#8 Apr 20, 2010
House RN wrote:
I agree with Gracie, many more nurses would remain working on the floors if there was a mandated ratio. The ratios should be set and then the facilites would be forced to hire adequate numbers of nurses. As it stands now nurses are being overworked and patients are suffering. As for Topper you are right there are so many variables, so why don't we set the numbers to error on the side of caution and patient safety. To many times without the mandate, nurses are forced to put their licence on the line because if inadequate staffing. You are a moron and obviously have never worked on the floors. A nurse has to be a little selfish to protect themselves and their license from ending up in a lawsuit. Maybe you can tell the ladies and gentleman of the jury why you made that medication error because of the 'unexpected' surge of high risk patient and the lack of staffing.
Union mentality....
A handfull of crybabies.
the proffesion would be as well of if they all quit
Ohio RN

Redford, MI

#9 Apr 20, 2010
I suppose those who object missed the part of the article that said THOUSANDS of lives could be saved if mandated ratios were implented nationwide. For those who state that ratio's do not factor in complexity or assume that all patients require the same level of care - the ratio is the BASIC minimum staffing level that can be improved upon based upon individual patient need. It has been well researched that RN's leave the bedside because of unsafe staffing. Furhter, there is no nursing shortage in the state of Ohio in fact there is a surplus.
Beth

Columbus, OH

#10 Apr 20, 2010
I worked for 30 years in the hospitals in Columbus as an RN. Far too often we were strained to the max with far too many patients and too high an acuity. Truly a dangerous place to be at times....

Back then the hospital management blamed poor staffing on the nurse shortage.
How disengenuous. It is really about maximizing hospital profits.
Funny now that there is a NURSE glut, hospitals still are short staffed!

Aslo sad for nurses that the Ohio Nurses Association puts politics above patient safety and concern for their members.
Thank heavens for the National Nurses Organizing Committee. check this group out on the web and see what great things they are doing for nurses and consumers!
House RN

Columbus, OH

#11 Apr 20, 2010
Topper, I was right you are a moron. Nurses don't work for unions or hospitals. They work for the patients and their job is to provide safe care. Read the article. I hope you are a patient to an overworked nurse who has to neglect you because the unit is short staffed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
an old haunt Wed harry 1
Kate Gosselin Talks About Playboy (Sep '09) Nov 15 tweedledick 8
Cal U. player Corey Ford's bond revoked in DC h... Nov 14 checkers 1
New Arrest Warrant Issued For Cal U Football Pl... Nov 14 checkers 1
W. Pa. football player arrested in assault case (Sep '13) Nov 14 Sterkfontein Swar... 3
School circa 1957 (Aug '10) Jul '14 Jill Marie Lutz 12
Who do you support for State House in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) Jun '14 CaCat 9
California Dating
Find my Match

California People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

California News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in California

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:34 pm PST

Bleacher Report 7:34PM
Tennessee vs. Philadelphia: What Are Experts Saying About Philadelphia?
Bleacher Report 8:05 PM
Steelers Players Who Need to Get Healthy During Bye Week
Bleacher Report11:22 PM
Titans' Week 12 Preview vs. Eagles
Bleacher Report 3:21 AM
Sizing Up Final Six Weeks of NFC East Race
NBC Sports 8:01 AM
Belichick: LeGarrette Blount's role is "totally up to him"