Recession may teach lesson no job is safe

Teaching jobs have long been thought of as safe havens from economic uncertainty, insulated from the ups and downs of the financial markets. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Cool Logic - Burning Passion”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#1 Apr 26, 2009
But your chances of getting laid off decrease in the public sector. It's in the nature of the tax funded beast... what happens when everyone is employed by the State...? Profts, schmofits! We can then all enjoy the comfort of a five year plan...
PATRIOT

Line Lexington, PA

#2 Apr 26, 2009
EVER HEARD OF THE PENNSYLVANIA ARMY NATIONAL GUARD? THEY'RE ALWAYS HIRING AND ARE CURRENTLY OFFERING A $10,000 ENLISTMENT BONUS, 100% COLLEGE TUITION TO TECH SCHOOLS, COMMUNITY COLLEGES, AND STATE UNIVERSITIES, THE GI BILL AND GI BILL KICKER PROGRAMS ($540/MONTH), AS WELL AS A $50,000 STUDENT LOAN REPAYMENT PROGRAM. NOT TO MENTION, INITIAL FULL TIME EMPLOYMENT DURING BASIC TRAINING AND JOB TRAINING, FOLLOWED BY THE "ONE WEEKEND A MONTH" YOU ALWAYS HEAR ABOUT. QUIT WHINING ABOUT THE JOB MARKET AND STOP BY YOUR LOCAL RECRUITING OFFICE TODAY! THE OFFICE IS LOCATED IN WHITEHALL, BEHIND THE NEW WAWA JUST OFF EBERHART ROAD.
Wondering

Norristown, PA

#3 Apr 26, 2009
Thanks again, George Bush and your cronies. This is a fine mess you put our nation and our people in.

Stop bashing the government fools, we are the government. Helllllloooo.
Downsizing

Macungie, PA

#4 Apr 26, 2009
I am not a teacher but I find it offensive that anyone is singled out as 'making too much money.'

It is very popular - almost a national pastime - to talk about how much other's are paid and how unfair it is that THEY get so much money.

Doesn't seem to matter whether it is about the private or public sector but of course, the public payroll generates more ire.

Is that what we've come to in our country? Decrying 'high wages' and demanding that everyone be paid less? Will someone explain to me why it is a good thing for everyone (with the exception of the top 3%) to make less money for the work that they do?

Used to be, we thought raising the standard of living for people was a good thing. Progress.

I don't think it is healthy nor is it productive to have and encourage these class wars. I would think it would be far better for we Americans to unite and demand a higher standard of living rather than cheer for a lower one.

And, while I am on the subject: will someone explain to me why it is HORRIBLE that a union worker in Detroit building cars should earn a living wage while, at the same time, we pour billions of tax dollars into wall street and not question ONCE the extraordinary salaries of these non-productive workers?

Something is way out of balance in this country when glee is expressed whenever someone is 'outed' for making a decent living.

Shame on us. The top 3% in the US probably read with joy these articles and comments about how they should pay their employees less and less. Oh, and don't forget: cut our benefits too please. I hate the idea of anyone getting health care benefits so that they and their kids can get treatment.

When YOUR wage is discussed in public, I hope you are okay with everyone saying that you should make less money.
No more jobs

Schnecksville, PA

#5 Apr 26, 2009
Just another round about way to get rid of the union
Nichibei

Yokosuka, Japan

#6 Apr 26, 2009
Sounds like some sort of scheme to do damage to the education of children by eliminating teacher positions. Just a while back we read of school district consolidation. Guess who fought that idea? Open up the online Allentown School District list of administrative positions and think about the money saved by eliminating many of these entrenched bureaucratic positions that very much need reform. Numerous problems of crime in the schools and the directors responsible claim immunity from prosecution.
I own a home and pay high property ASD taxes. Tax increases are decided by the ASD Board of Education without input from the Allentown City Council or the Mayor. Is there no way to pick up funding from the stimulus package awarded to Allentown?
MC
The Allentown School Board voted to borrow
$35 million, another big chunk that will go primarily toward its massive building project. The board has borrowed $60 million since December.
This may be one of the few areas of government where property owners have their taxes raised without vote of the electorate. The financial security of property owners bodes poorly where we are all fated for tax increases after the fall election. Meanwhile we hear talk of laying off teachers while millions of dollars are borrowed to construct school buildings. Seems like ASD priorities are very much skewed in favor of higher burden on tax payers.
Forks Gal

Whitehall, PA

#7 Apr 26, 2009
When my neighbors are having trouble paying their school taxes and they are talking about cutting out extra courses and courses with 10 or fewer teachers, I say cut away!
RonMania

Philadelphia, PA

#8 Apr 26, 2009
Just another "shovel ready" project that will boost employment & the LOONS in charge didn't know how much it would cost!! Guess what taxpayers it's going to cost you more.
Tyler

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Apr 26, 2009
Someday the PSEA needs to realize that the taxpayers do not have bottomless pockets from which they can continually suck money for their selfish needs. If Central Bucks School District was able to eliminate two admin and twelve teaching positions to reduce $2.8M from their 09-10 budget, Easton School District should be able to do likewise if needbe.
Forks Gal

Whitehall, PA

#10 Apr 26, 2009
Wondering wrote:
Thanks again, George Bush and your cronies. This is a fine mess you put our nation and our people in.
Stop bashing the government fools, we are the government. Helllllloooo.
That is precisely the problem ... WE stop being the government when closed door meetings take place where major decisions are made without a public presence. We stop being the government with presidents sign executive orders or the party in power speeds up the process of passing a massive bill, filled with pork ... We stop being the govenrment when unions and Corporate Lawyers have more say over how our money is spent then we do! We stop being the government when elective officials can come to our towns and speak rudely to our residents! We stop being the govenrment when only around half of us are paying for the mess the government is making, while the rest are begging for more governmental involvement (with my money).

That, Wondering, it exactly the problem ... we have stopped being the government!
Recent Grad

Blandon, PA

#11 Apr 26, 2009
This looks HORRIBLE for those of us who went through the process of becoming teachers, just to find out that it is now going to be nearly impossible to find jobs. Was the degree worth it?
Rich

Nazareth, PA

#12 Apr 26, 2009
Keeping all the teachers during this down turn is fine,funding it all with property taxes needs to be reviewed and creative ways need to be implimented to support our schools. How about every one who works in PA, pay a small percentage of their wages to pay for our schools,therefor everyone pays their fare share and the home owners are not forced to sell their homes because they can't afford the high taxes,especially the elderly on fixed incomes.
LV Reader

North Wales, PA

#13 Apr 26, 2009
Recent Grad wrote:
This looks HORRIBLE for those of us who went through the process of becoming teachers, just to find out that it is now going to be nearly impossible to find jobs. Was the degree worth it?
Huh? The US probably has 50 million students. Teaching jobs won't go away, but there will be more competition for the "good" jobs. That doesn't seem like a bad thing.
PeoplesRepublic of Carbon

Sparta, NJ

#14 Apr 26, 2009
FTA..."The state prohibits layoffs just to balance the budget."

Since balancing budgets is the essense of the problem every year, why was this article written?
So What

Allentown, PA

#15 Apr 26, 2009
Is any degree worth it? I don't understand why you spend so much money to learn a carreer to go out and work a job. Does it take a college education to figure out that the government and corporate america is not going to take care of YOU. If you think this is bullcrap just look back at the Bethlehem steel. Mack trucks and so on. Even if you do get a good JOB by the time your 50 YOU will be replaced by two 25 year olds.People from other countries can come here and start busineses and become wealthy in 5 years.
Steve

Slatington, PA

#16 Apr 26, 2009
That's why self employment is the way to go. You can actually work harder & get somewhere. Rather than relying on those above you to make sure your job is safe.
William

Cumbola, PA

#17 Apr 26, 2009
I guess the union tells the teachers and state employees that they are immune to the economic problems that the rest of us face.
Public service unions are the enemy of the taxpayer.
James

Allentown, PA

#18 Apr 26, 2009
Get rid of teaching positions? Well, better get rid of some of the kids then. Are we going to have 40 in a class...50 kids with one teacher? It's hard enough to educate these kids that show up with no skills, no support from home with more and more "parenting" being placed on educators. Solve the funding by sharing the tax, shouldn't fall on homeowners alone. Most students in Allentown rent (and move around A LOT!) A sales tax on goods (especially aftermarket car parts, beauty supplies and electronics) would spread the burden more fairly.

How about free education for every child...NOT MANDATORY.
Hmmm

Augusta, NJ

#20 Apr 26, 2009
Tyler wrote:
Someday the PSEA needs to realize that the taxpayers do not have bottomless pockets from which they can continually **** money for their selfish needs.
Exactly.
Allentown 18103

AOL

#21 Apr 26, 2009
I will tell you exactly what the problem is....NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND.

Just this past week, I had a Parent-Teacher conference with my daughter's teacher. The curriculum that they have these kids on (5th grade) is ridiculous. They are teaching them algebra already "touching on the subject". I didn't touch on the subject until I was in 8th grade in High School. Then you have all the PSSA testing and the 4Sight test that they do. Also they have numbers to tell you what your child's learning level is 1, 2, 3, 4 (1 & 2 below grade level, 3 being grade level, 4 being above grade level...). Whatever happened to ABCDF's?

When I was in school, you had reading books that you graduated from, you learned basic math skills, and penmneship was a must. Now they only want to know if you can write your name. My daughter go a 3 in penmenship and her writing looks like chicken scratch.....mine isn't much better but it is legible. Being a lefty for my daughter is not much easier than being a righty. I was forced to be a righty. I let my daughter make her choice.

Put the school budget back in to the city fund and not have a separate fund for the school. Isn't the school part of Allentown? Why shouldn't the school funds be part of the city funding......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
School circa 1957 (Aug '10) Jul '14 Jill Marie Lutz 12
Who do you support for State House in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) Jun '14 CaCat 9
5-Town Recreational Park future in serious doubt (Jul '09) May '14 Brad Martin 6
Faded memories #3 May '14 John Musisko 1
Review: Fay-West Medical - Nick Dileo MD (Aug '10) May '14 Hey 10
113K in Pa. remain without power after storm (Feb '14) Feb '14 Quest 4
The Hot Dog Place Under the Bridge in Brownsville (Jan '14) Feb '14 pgm 4
California Dating
Find my Match

California Jobs

California People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

California News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in California

Personal Finance