Big Black Cat sightings
larry engram

Saint Louis, MO

#269 May 9, 2012
3-4' high big black cat sighted may 9th @ 7:30am by cherry slag hills in cherry illinois
Braden McAllister

Barre, VT

#270 May 10, 2012
About ten years ago I lived in St. Clair, MO a little ways out of town with my parents and my little brother. It was around 7:00 in the morning we were walking down our driveway to the bus stop, and when we got to the top of the hill we just stopped dead in our tracks our two dogs barking like crazy. At the bottom of our driveway was a massive black cat probably about 4 ft in the body, maybe three ft long it's tale whipping around. Our dogs ran down and chased it off before we could even move, we were young but we knew we have never seen anything like that around here. We swore it was a panther but I still honestly dont know for sure. blynnxoxo@yahoo.com
NC Randy

La Plata, MD

#271 May 20, 2012
April 18th this year, a few weeks back, I saw a big black cat cross the road in front of me on Route 12, just above Oregon Inlet on the Outer Banks.

I had 4-6 seconds to study it with it originally at 100 yards and within 10 when it dissapeared as I closed on it.

It was all dull black with a long tail, not very tall, was 4 foot long with maybe a 30 inch or so tail.It was lean, no fat below, had rounded ears, the head was almost an extension of the neck rather than larger, and the face was what we call brindle pattern in a dog.
A week of research told me that authorities were not interested since they didn't exist. Because it was black, I determined that it was what they call melanistic phase which only happens with African Leopards and South American Jaguars.

Neither is very likely, but you have to admit, the African link is even more so. Jaguars were in the Pa and Ohio valleys in the 1500s and last recognized by the OFFICIALS in the early 1900's.

I am an avid outdoorsman and hunter and I KNOW what I saw. IT was apparantly a small one at an estimated 70 lbs of muscle.

There have been others sighted in the same area as the one I viewed. I have a good friend in Va that sighted one there within feet of him 8 years ago in the swamps off the James River.

Sooner or later one will be hit by a car and the world will see that the South American Jaguar is healthy in at least 20 states in the U.S. They grow to over 200 lbs!

Mine was sighted in broad daylight coming from the swamps on the sound to the ocean which is what foxes do to pick up remains of seafood on the beach.

I would welcome hearing from others that have sightings of big black cats themselves to contact me at randallcullinan@YAHOO.COM

Since: Oct 09

Boynton Beach, FL

#272 May 20, 2012
NC Randy wrote:
April 18th this year, a few weeks back, I saw a big black cat cross the road in front of me on Route 12, just above Oregon Inlet on the Outer Banks.
I had 4-6 seconds to study it with it originally at 100 yards and within 10 when it dissapeared as I closed on it.
It was all dull black with a long tail, not very tall, was 4 foot long with maybe a 30 inch or so tail.It was lean, no fat below, had rounded ears, the head was almost an extension of the neck rather than larger, and the face was what we call brindle pattern in a dog.
A week of research told me that authorities were not interested since they didn't exist. Because it was black, I determined that it was what they call melanistic phase which only happens with African Leopards and South American Jaguars.j
Neither is very likely, but you have to admit, the African link is even more so. Jaguars were in the Pa and Ohio valleys in the 1500s and last recognized by the OFFICIALS in the early 1900's.
I am an avid outdoorsman and hunter and I KNOW what I saw. IT was apparantly a small one at an estimated 70 lbs of muscle.
There have been others sighted in the same area as the one I viewed. I have a good friend in Va that sighted one there within feet of him 8 years ago in the swamps off the James River.
Sooner or later one will be hit by a car and the world will see that the South American Jaguar is healthy in at least 20 states in the U.S. They grow to over 200 lbs!
Mine was sighted in broad daylight coming from the swamps on the sound to the ocean which is what foxes do to pick up remains of seafood on the beach.
I would welcome hearing from others that have sightings of big black cats themselves to contact me at randallcullinan@YAHOO.COM
We see the big black cats here in the central/eastern Tennessee area and central/eastern part of Kentucky. I, like you just wish someone would get positive proof so people wouldn't think we're crazy
Toms River NJ

Minneapolis, MN

#273 May 20, 2012
it was just about dark when I went to lock the back door, I looked out the in the yard and there was this big black cat about the size of my beardie about 50lbs. I called the police and asked if any zoo might have lost one. They said no but it most likley was a Bob Cat...this big cat had a long tail and was black as night it was no bob cat
enrique

United States

#274 May 21, 2012
i've seen a large black wild cat-like animal behind my chain linked yard in valverde, california. i owned a black cat and a black labrador and this cat was smaller than my labrador but much bigger than any domestic cat i have ever seen. It was observing us from a hill about 30 ft. away and when it realized we spotted him he bolted and in an instant it run up an almost vertical 30 ft tall ravine and dissapeared into the wilderness. This happened at dawn on a sunday in may 2012 and i figure he was hunting rabbits back there since they are abundant. I also noticed that his coat was very shinny. I want to think that this cat is just a big feral cat but how would he survive out there with all those coyotes running around?
Stan

Owego, NY

#275 May 22, 2012
Oh my god! These stories are CRAZY I'm so glad I'm not the only crazy that has seen or heard these black cats!!! We live by two goat farms and every year around this time sone always go missing! These are no small goats they are boar goats 150-200 pound goats just GONE! we were out last night at about 7:30pm working my horse, and he was doing fine then boom he ran off down the hill with the girl. We were all like what's he doing? As soon as he stopped we heard this erie sound like chilling screech... This was not a fox a coyote bob cat nothing. It was a black cat I yelled to the girl get him up here and when she did it went off again! And again! Then little ones called back to it! A whole freakin litter of these things right on our fence line! My husbands aunt and uncle both worked for new York state DEC and deny it all! But they are out there! Heard about them for years! They need to do something about them sounds like they are getting very dangerous! Today is may 23,2012 I hope to never cone across one I would surely pee myself! If not worse!!!
willyjIII

Altoona, PA

#276 May 31, 2012
I live in Central Pa, Happy Valley. I not only saw one but two in the last year. Last summer I saw on in Upper Spruce Creek jumping a farmer's fence. My brain referenced what I saw to either a black dog at first but my brain said no, it has a cat's tail and is moving much more gracefully. Last week in Pine Grove Mills, one ran right across the street in town on my way to work. I have seen coyote crossing the road in the past but my brain could not match it with any other wild dog. Last week, I got a good look at it, it was a big black cat of the mountain lion or panther variety.
Ashly

North Olmsted, OH

#277 Jun 20, 2012
There has been large black cat sightings for the past few months here in Mantua, Ohio. Theres been all the way from pictures on cell phones to them on trail cams. There was a mule killed on one of the roads it had been sighted frequently on. My aunt lives right near the area and she's started taking her handgun with her when getting her mail at the end of her drive since she moves slow due to bad knees and back. Hopefully the cat won't attack any humans.
jakenwilma

Plattsburgh, NY

#278 Jun 28, 2012
On June 22 2012, at approximately 8:15-8:20 pm I was traveling west on I-88 NYS. I had just got on the highway at the HITE road exit in Cobleskill (~10 minutes prior). I first spotted a long black tail waving above some high grass along side the road. I thought it must be some kind of dog but the tail wasn't moving like a dogs tail. When I got closer I realized it was a VERY LARGE CAT! Its coat was very shiny black (almost like a black lab) The cat was well over 100 pounds. I can't even guess the weight. It was HUGE! I have a large yellow lab, and it was MUCH larger than any lab. When I got closer I realized it was eating some kind of road kill (I think a deer) I immediately called my husband and asked him to see if there was some sort of a zoo or game farm nearby. This cat looked like something that should be in a zoo! I didn't even call the DEC in NY because I have been told they will just deny large cats exist in NY. Just hoping someone else saw the same thing since it was near a highway.
Jing-a-Ling

Iowa, LA

#279 Jun 28, 2012
I sleep with a black woman and she has a big black cat it is real hairy too. I want her to shave but she said its against her morals.
melissa

United States

#280 Jul 11, 2012
GREG wrote:
<quoted text>UPS DRIVER IN BUCKS COUNTY P.A. making a delevery on bridgetown pike .3/10/10 going back to the truck look up in the woods could not beleive my eyes. this black cat was as big as a dog. it looked like a pumma .people think im crazy but i no what i saw
I seen one to here in Armstrong County, PA about 2 years ago, it was about knee high, and muscular with a very long tail.
Judy

Vestal, NY

#281 Jul 15, 2012
I had 3 teenage girls on the porch around 11 am today, and they saw a "big black cat." They say it was about the size of my dog, who is 130 lbs!

This is in Binghamton NY - pretty close to PA, on top of the mountain which has very many undeveloped acres.

A couple of days ago something chased the local tom cat out of the woods - and I have never seen this cat scared (he even chases small dogs)- but he ran so fast out of the woods, and all we know is we heard something chasing him that was big enough to shake the trees - yet smart enough to stop chasing the cat when it saw/heard/smelled us.

ALSO - the family of deer that usually go through here every morning and night - have not been seen in at least a month!

The night before something dark was moving around up in the woods - but we have no idea of what it was. Thought perhaps a bear, but now that they saw this cat - I don't know.
Linda

Killington, VT

#282 Jul 16, 2012
A big black cat that looked like a jaguar was seen on Mt. Zoar in Elmira, NY last year. That's only an hour from Binghamton.
Judy wrote:
I had 3 teenage girls on the porch around 11 am today, and they saw a "big black cat." They say it was about the size of my dog, who is 130 lbs!
This is in Binghamton NY - pretty close to PA, on top of the mountain which has very many undeveloped acres.
A couple of days ago something chased the local tom cat out of the woods - and I have never seen this cat scared (he even chases small dogs)- but he ran so fast out of the woods, and all we know is we heard something chasing him that was big enough to shake the trees - yet smart enough to stop chasing the cat when it saw/heard/smelled us.
ALSO - the family of deer that usually go through here every morning and night - have not been seen in at least a month!
The night before something dark was moving around up in the woods - but we have no idea of what it was. Thought perhaps a bear, but now that they saw this cat - I don't know.
Redrobin

White City, OR

#283 Jul 16, 2012
Redrobin  July 16, 2012

We are in Suquamish, WA in a densely wooded area. This morning at 7:30 am, I was walking by our big living room window and saw a big black cat running across the clearing in the yard and driveway. It was about the size of a black lab. It had a very long tail and a long sleek body which was stretched out because of the speed of the run. It definitely was some kind of cat.
Josh

Urbana, IL

#284 Jul 21, 2012
I live in Urbana il and I just saw a large black cat with a long curved tail probably the size of my lab mix or a little bigger in my neighbors back yard I live near a large park with a lake and a creek running through it I've been around wildlife my whole life and I've never seen anything like it totally freaked me out
Linda

Nashua, NH

#285 Jul 22, 2012
Josh wrote:
I live in Urbana il and I just saw a large black cat with a long curved tail probably the size of my lab mix or a little bigger in my neighbors back yard I live near a large park with a lake and a creek running through it I've been around wildlife my whole life and I've never seen anything like it totally freaked me out
What did the head and body look like? Were they unusual?
Mark Holley

Crowley, LA

#286 Jul 25, 2012
I hunt in Sikes La,my fathers old home place.I have heard 3 and seen one I was going to my lean to walking thrugh a cut over and a cat jumped out of a thicket into the road not 10 ft from me and looked me rite in the eyes and made a growel it fraked both of us out the cat went back in to the woods and started screaming my dad was about 200 yards from me going to his stand and heard it to after the hunt witch we killed nothing that morning I brought my uncle and dad to where I seen it and found its tracks amd POO WITH DEER HAIR IN IT.It blowed my mind could not belive what I seen.This was in the 80s thy have to still be there i would put my life on it.
Joeblow

Ruston, LA

#287 Jul 27, 2012
Dave7637550234 wrote:
Hello all-
I'm beginning production of a television program on Big Cats for a national cable network.
I'm interested in hearing about any recent big black cat sightings in your area.
An acquaintance recommended I might have some luck among the many hunters in the Eros area.
I am especially intersted in physical evidence of big black cats: Video, photos or hair.
Post here or call me at the number attached to my name at left.
Thanks!
Why is it that people believe there are black panthers the south or for North America for that matter? The only big cat we have is the Florida Panther/cougar/mountain lion. They definitely aren't black. I guess when people hear panther they think black.
Dale from Vancouver

Vancouver, WA

#288 Jul 27, 2012
though I have only seen one moose in the wild I know they exist. In answer to Joeblow note. I can only say if you would open your mind and stop believing everything the state game biologist say and start getting out and looking you may well change his mind. Especially if he gets his head out of wherever he has stuck. I know what I saw it was not a mountain lion or A bobcat or a big house Cat. It was a large stocky build coal black cat.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Calhoun Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for someone Nov '17 Uncle Tom 2
Calhoun middle school Oct '17 Angellou402 1
News Duke Sonnier Jr. facing aggravated domestic abu... (Aug '10) Oct '17 Christina 34
Jason smith (Apr '17) Apr '17 Clark 1
Family Dollar (Dec '16) Feb '17 LELE42 2
Guy.hello? (Jan '17) Jan '17 Kelley 1
News Winnsboro teen wins rap contest held in Rayville (May '08) Jan '17 Dee 7

Calhoun Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Calhoun Mortgages