Red Bud Middle "feeder school"

Posted in the Calhoun Forum

curious

United States

#1 May 30, 2013
I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on this new program. In my opinion it's a really stupid idea and they should have asked the community before making a final decision. An upcoming 7th grader startsthe school year at SMS but then in Jan they have to transfer to a brand new school with new teachers and get used to everything again. Not to mention the parents that live out in sonoraville would now have to drive to red bud. Am I understanding this wrong? I think they should have left the schools as they were, 6th-8th grade in one building and 9th-12th grade in the current high school. Also how will kids be able to participate in sports if they are jumping from one school to.the other? More importantly if the middle.school isn't funded how are sports and other things going to be affected? Please let me know if I'm understanding this wrong. Just wanted to see what every one thought
Rainy Day

Calhoun, GA

#2 May 31, 2013
Since there will not be 6th and 7th grades at SMS, the teachers will be going to Redbud. So, the students aren't actually getting used to new teachers. Other than that the rest of your post sounds correct. Not sure how the sports stuff is going to work. I have had heard talk of transporting them back SMS. Not really sure about all this.
Gordonian

United States

#3 Jun 1, 2013
Redbud will be for 6th and 7th. 8th and 9th will be at SMS. They are saying they don't have the funds to hire teachers for this new school so it will not be opened until January, 2014. If it seems messed up that's because it is. The "funds" as they call it is our tax dollars they're wasting. The teachers they say they can't hire for the new school is a lie if they are going to be taught at SMS and redbud by the same teachers. Our system is lost because no one really cares enough to investigate or hold our board responsible.
Fe man

Duluth, GA

#5 Jun 4, 2013
Consider this. If you live on Erwin hill road and have a 6th grader, the will be driven to redbud. A bus load of kids from fairmount will be driven to FES, redbud feeder, SMS, and SHS. They have a middle scholol at sonoraville already and redbud feeder should be a middle school serving redbud. I believe they cannot justify this building or they wouldn't be waiting til jan 2014 to occupy nor would they be using SMS kids to fill it up.
Anonymous

United States

#6 Jun 26, 2013
What was the final decision?
ShachMo

Calhoun, GA

#8 Jun 26, 2013
Vote all of them OUT.
Batman

Rome, GA

#9 Jul 2, 2013
ShachMo wrote:
Vote all of them OUT.
What a good idea.
did you come up with this all by tourself?
SachMo

Calhoun, GA

#10 Jul 2, 2013
Batman wrote:
<quoted text>
What a good idea.
did you come up with this all by tourself?
NO.. I called Robin.
Joker

Rome, GA

#11 Jul 3, 2013
Batman = gay
stupid

Rome, GA

#12 Jul 3, 2013
ShachMo wrote:
Vote all of them OUT.
vote them all out and we end up with a board that doesnt know what they are doing.
wait a minute .......... thats what we got
Candleholder

Calhoun, GA

#13 Jul 4, 2013
Who was on the original committee?
Calhoun citizen

Athens, GA

#14 Jan 15, 2014
Red bud middle was a huge mistake and someone should be held accountable for it! You have several schools in the system falling apart with old outdated equipment that need repair and some one approved building a school that is not needed! In the really worlds some one should get fired!!! At min. The Super should resign!
Tom S

Rome, GA

#15 Jan 15, 2014
its all about money... wheres the Georgia lotto money that our county was promised for our schools , it all is given to the collage a for profit school.
look how many schools have done away with the vocational program.
most of my taxes is for schools.
just like Calhoun high no more vocational program just sports if a Calhoun football player blows his knee out he is screwed he only knows run with ball.
Vicki C

United States

#16 Mar 14, 2014
How does everyone feel now that the new Red Bud Middle School has opened? Personally it now takes me 8 minutes longer to get my son to school. He likes the new school and SMS, RBMS, and SHS will have no overcrowding issues. What's the problem?
Fred

Calhoun, GA

#17 Mar 15, 2014
Vicki C wrote:
How does everyone feel now that the new Red Bud Middle School has opened? Personally it now takes me 8 minutes longer to get my son to school. He likes the new school and SMS, RBMS, and SHS will have no overcrowding issues. What's the problem?
Gordon County Bd of Ed.
After thought

United States

#18 Mar 15, 2014
The board of Ed was too lazy and unqualified to search for a new superintendent. Tyner needs to go for beginners. This super has brought in her people from Trion and run some good people off. She is failing us just as she did the people of Trion who ran her off. She is here only for retirement which should be next year. We need people in there that believe in making our county the best, not for status, retirement, and money.
After thought

United States

#19 Mar 15, 2014
Also, after a surprise state inspection of the school transportation department, the director of transportation resigned.
Parent

Calhoun, GA

#20 Aug 11, 2014
We do need new people on our Board of Education. I have been over to RBMS and SMS and there are classrooms that are not being used at all. I don't understand why the schools were left as they were. I was told that the reason behind building the new middle school was to get the kids out of the trailers behind SMS. It wasn't until after school started August 6th that I heard it was due to over crowded. If that was the case then why are there classrooms that are empty? Personally I think they should have done away with the trailers and added on to SMS so that 6th, 7th and 8th grade could have stayed there and 9th thru 12th would have been at SHS. Now with the way things are 9th grade students may have classes between the two building SMS and SHS so what are the student suppose to do when it's raining extremely hard and they have a class at SHS. Are they to just get soaking wet? Gordon County Schools are really a mess. The majority of my property taxes are the school taxes but yet it's being wasted. Well I think that a lot of people in the community need to get together and boot the ones at Central Office out the door and then see what can be done about the taxes because if it's just being "pissed" away then I would rather being "pissing" it away on something I could use personally or paying it on my home. More teachers need to be hired because we have to many students in one classroom per teacher so they are not receiving enough one on one help that some of the students need in order to grasp onto the material being taught. So again instead of my tax dollars just getting "pissed" away put it towards hiring more teachers and making the student/teacher ratio better so that our children will learn better and not struggle.
anonymous

Calhoun, GA

#21 Sep 1, 2014
$22,000,000.00 bond. We better like it because we're paying for it regardless, but as long as they can make you believe GCBE is $2million in ther black, its all good. Long term liabilities are not included in that figure.
Let's see where Dr. Susan Remillard puts ourState Equalization Grant. Some counties are endings furlo days, while others are giving raises to various employees. Who will Dr. Remillard deem as the key employees to receive raises because she's only added one day back to our school system(remember they brag about being $2M in the black). That does mean she can't give herself a rasie until all furlo days are returned. However, this board almost gave Bill a raise before he left because they don't know education laws.
Its all about the funds, ooops, I mean OUR tax dollars.
Parent

Calhoun, GA

#22 Sep 12, 2014
I went to the football game (Red Bud vs Bagley) last night that was held at Red Bud and while I was there I heard several comments from Bagley parents. They did not speak to me directly but I over heard the conversations that they were having. Several of them said that it was ridiculous having Sonoraville students at Red Bud Middle. Their thinking was that Red Bud Middle should be for Red Bud students and that Sonoraville Middle should be for Sonoraville students. It was stated that this was really a STUPID idea and who ever approved it needed to have their head examined. Another comment that was made was that Red Bud should not be a part of the Phoenix Nation and that the players didn't need to have jerseies that had Sonoraville on them because they were actually Red Bud students. As they were saying Red Bud Elementary was there and we built a new middle school which was named Red Bud Middle so they should be their own community, nation and mascot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Calhoun Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ANOTHER Airbus A-320 Down 1 hr The Professor 6
Amazon.com, Inc. is a "scam-artist" company 1 hr The Professor 5
Guys: Oil Price Ripoff 1 hr The Professor 3
gordon county inmates starved 2 hr Just one the bunch 7
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 8 hr Save you lives 19,719
Review: Wright Self Storage (Mar '14) Mar 25 Kelly Wright 2
lawn care services Mar 24 LBJ 1
Calhoun Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Calhoun People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]