Supreme Court kicks Noble County sheriff off primary ballot | T...

Noble County Sheriff Stephen Hannum will not appear on the May primary ballot after the Ohio Supreme Court ruled that he does not meet the requirements to run for the office. Full Story
Sonoma

United States

#1 Mar 24, 2010
First and foremost a county sheriff is a politician.
Chas B

Columbus, OH

#2 Mar 24, 2010
Good ole dirty politics...
Will Burns

United States

#3 Mar 24, 2010
This cluster is a direct result of the changes in sheriff requirements after a useless former columbus cop Dave Phalen was appointed Fairfield County Sheriff and his puppet masters wanted to keep others from being able to run against him. Way to Tim Schaffer.
PotStirrer

Westerville, OH

#4 Mar 24, 2010
so, he is good enough to do the job when appointed, but not to be elected to the job.
Will Burns

United States

#6 Mar 24, 2010
Chung Lee wrote:
This stupid law needs repealed as all it does is promote incumbencey and incompetetance. About a third of the sheriff's in Ohio are real cops and I don't mean ex OSP brass either. The rest are politicians including Photo Op Phalen in Fairfield County.
You are correct it is a political office not a job. As for Phalen when he was the presses go to guy on columbus pd his nickname was "I don't know" dave.
The Red Raider

Galloway, OH

#7 Mar 24, 2010
A filthy little snake pit.
maverick

Dayton, OH

#8 Mar 24, 2010
Chung Lee wrote:
This stupid law needs repealed as all it does is promote incumbencey and incompetetance. About a third of the sheriff's in Ohio are real cops and I don't mean ex OSP brass either. The rest are politicians including Photo Op Phalen in Fairfield County.
If so then the Sheriff should be regulated to the only thing the office is required to do by law; operate a jail and serve court papers.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#9 Mar 24, 2010
And what's up with Delaware County Sheriff Walter 'Magnum' Davis? Good god that man is a publicity hound!
Get some

Cambridge, OH

#10 Mar 24, 2010
This guy is as bad as the one he replaced, he trys to file charges on anyone who stands against him and there families. Check out the case on Supreme court website , look at transcript he claims he recieved 89 credits in one quarted at colledge Man I need to get my PHD should be able to get it in a couple years
Zoot

United States

#11 Mar 24, 2010
A democrat lied on his affadavit for office? I am shocked I tell you, just shocked.
Will Burns

United States

#12 Mar 24, 2010
Big Johnson wrote:
And what's up with Delaware County Sheriff Walter 'Magnum' Davis? Good god that man is a publicity hound!
Isn't his specialty busty up partys with underage drinkers?
cerista

Parkersburg, WV

#13 Mar 24, 2010
Get some wrote:
This guy is as bad as the one he replaced, he trys to file charges on anyone who stands against him and there families. Check out the case on Supreme court website , look at transcript he claims he recieved 89 credits in one quarted at colledge Man I need to get my PHD should be able to get it in a couple years
Most of his credits are job/life experience. No class is required, just an exam.
get some

Cambridge, OH

#14 Mar 25, 2010
Ok sure! So anyone who goes to academy and works as a cop for a couple years can get life credit and run for Sheriff. LINE UP DEPUTIES!! YOUR QUALIFIED!! Thats why law states Semester or quarter hours EARNED to add up to a TWO year post secondary. Law is now changing to a TWO year Degree to clarify.and stop these people in power from twisting the law to fit them but not the people they serve!! LAW is LAW deal with it!
amen

Cambridge, OH

#15 Mar 26, 2010
Why is he still SHERIFF? Why doesn't NOBLE COUNTY just follow the law like every other county. If your not qualified and you want to be Sheriff just go get qualified and run.!!!!!!! Quit twisting thw laws to fit your needs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Caldwell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Refurbished cars given to 2 area vets Dec 1 ANNIE61 1
Noble County sheriff resigns, faces criminal ch... (Jun '09) Sep '14 Duke for Mayor 16
Oil boom in Noble County (Jun '14) Sep '14 Tool Pusher 2
gary bloss Aug '14 cutie 1
East Liverpool Municipal Jul '14 Wanda Baker 1
Debate: Marijuana - Caldwell, OH (Sep '10) Jun '14 Dough Boy 7
whos the chick at McDonalds (Apr '14) Jun '14 Dough Boy 2
Caldwell Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Caldwell People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Caldwell News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Caldwell

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:56 am PST

ESPN10:56AM
Pettine: Manziel will get chance to compete
NBC Sports11:18 AM
Rookie Shaw excited about chance to start for Browns - NBC Sports
NFL11:45 AM
Injury roundup: A.J. Green misses Bengals practice
NBC Sports 1:46 PM
Mike Pettine: Our first-round picks aren't busts
Bleacher Report 2:15 AM
Should New England Patriots Rest Key Starters in Week 17?