Man killed in back yard by drunk driver

Man killed in back yard by drunk driver

There are 10 comments on the WWAY story from Mar 8, 2010, titled Man killed in back yard by drunk driver. In it, WWAY reports that:

Submitted by Scott Pickey on Mon, 03/08/2010 - 11:32am. By BOB HIGH Staff Writer Published: Monday, March 8, 2010 10:26 AM EST A 20-year-old man was killed Saturday afternoon when a drunk driver operating an out-of-control pickup truck struck him and a friend at an estimated 75 mph while the victims were standing in the back yard of a mobile home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WWAY.

been on both sides

Washington, GA

#1 Mar 10, 2010
let me say i have know him for many years and yes people do make the wrong choices and innocent people get hurt by them, but let me also say that before you go start throwing stones at them, Don't pick on people,criticize their faults and failures unless you want the same.A critical spirit has a way of boomeranging.It easy to see smudges on your neighbors face & be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Don't have nerve to say, Let me wash your face,if your own face is dirty. Don't be holier-t...han thou instead Wipe ugly sneer off your face,then you might can offer a washcloth to your neighbor, too many times we kick others when they are down and instead of trying to help them ,we push em farther over the edge. i so hate it for the victim and his family and i am sure it is devastated them, but know also that Thomas has a family also who is grieving as well and feels like they also have faced the death of a son who is now in jail and prob will be there for a long time and also has a good heart who would give you the shirt off his back and do anything for anyone. he has good in him also and i hope now that he will get the help he needs and i know he will never ever be the same, i am sure if he could go back in time he would of made a different decision and you have no idea what all he has been through in his life that led up to this point and if you knew him so well why didn't you offer to get him the help you think he needed. i am not defending what he done, just who i know him to be when alcohol is not involved , and i whole heartedly think people should pay for their actions, but its not up to you or me to decide it is up to someone much higher than we are. and you have no idea how much he is grieving for what he done, and he has to live with it for the rest of his days. and my heart breaks for the ones who lost their loved one and i have been on both sides of this. i too suffered many many years from someone hitting me head on that was dui and drug intoxicated, but i chose to walk in forgiveness and had compassion on the one who caused me to not walk for two years and daily i deal with the pain of legs that are half mine and half rebuilt parts, but do i hate the one who did this to me and my daughter,no i pray for him daily to find help and peace while he is in prison and guess what i found while doing this, i found hope and peace. and i have had another tragedy to happen where an accident on the job that was no way to be avoided caused a love one to kill his best friend and coworker and so i know how awful thomas and his family must feel and also i know how it feels to be the victim, but only time and mercy will heal .
foodfan

Knoxville, TN

#2 Mar 11, 2010
This was Thomas' 6th offense relating to drinking. He needs to be put away for a long time, it's obvious he has a bad problem and can't quit, so lock his a$$ up and he can drink all the cheap homemade booze he wants in prison and not be driving a 3 ton vehicle.
Stop_ Drunk_ Driving

Ocean Isle Beach, NC

#3 May 13, 2010
A Person knows it is Illegal and Dangerous to
mix Drinking and Driving. He chose to Drink and Drive and Speed. He should be Punished by the State and Haunted by the Memories of his Actions for the Rest of his Life. He can never Hurt as much as the Family of this Young Innocent 20 year old Man!!!!!!!
Drunk Drivers What Does it Take
to Make You Stop?????
Evidently Knowing you can Kill doesnt Stop YOU!!!!!!!!!
Wild Bill

Aiken, SC

#4 Jun 29, 2010
been on both sides wrote:
let me say i have know him for many years and yes people do make the wrong choices and innocent people get hurt by them, but let me also say that before you go start throwing stones at them, Don't pick on people,criticize their faults and failures unless you want the same.A critical spirit has a way of boomeranging.It easy to see smudges on your neighbors face & be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Don't have nerve to say, Let me wash your face,if your own face is dirty. Don't be holier-t...han thou instead Wipe ugly sneer off your face,then you might can offer a washcloth to your neighbor, too many times we kick others when they are down and instead of trying to help them ,we push em farther over the edge. i so hate it for the victim and his family and i am sure it is devastated them, but know also that Thomas has a family also who is grieving as well and feels like they also have faced the death of a son who is now in jail and prob will be there for a long time and also has a good heart who would give you the shirt off his back and do anything for anyone. he has good in him also and i hope now that he will get the help he needs and i know he will never ever be the same, i am sure if he could go back in time he would of made a different decision and you have no idea what all he has been through in his life that led up to this point and if you knew him so well why didn't you offer to get him the help you think he needed. i am not defending what he done, just who i know him to be when alcohol is not involved , and i whole heartedly think people should pay for their actions, but its not up to you or me to decide it is up to someone much higher than we are. and you have no idea how much he is grieving for what he done, and he has to live with it for the rest of his days. and my heart breaks for the ones who lost their loved one and i have been on both sides of this. i too suffered many many years from someone hitting me head on that was dui and drug intoxicated, but i chose to walk in forgiveness and had compassion on the one who caused me to not walk for two years and daily i deal with the pain of legs that are half mine and half rebuilt parts, but do i hate the one who did this to me and my daughter,no i pray for him daily to find help and peace while he is in prison and guess what i found while doing this, i found hope and peace. and i have had another tragedy to happen where an accident on the job that was no way to be avoided caused a love one to kill his best friend and coworker and so i know how awful thomas and his family must feel and also i know how it feels to be the victim, but only time and mercy will heal .
Three times the legal limit, 75 miles per hour mowing people down in their own backyards and you hav ethe audacity to stand on your soapbox and preach to us? WHAT KIND OF A RETARD ARE YOU?? THERE IS NO ROOM IN SOCIETY FOR REDNECK MORONS LIKE THIS ASSCLOWN!!!!!
ronnie

Bolivia, NC

#5 Jul 11, 2010
this is a sad thing i bet he feel bad.i feel bad for him and very sad for the family.its not right for anyone to die for a drunk man even tho it was not his doing its evil takeking control of him,beer ect.they need to ban drinking everwhere iam talking about when you go out and eat dinner and get 1 glass people are just like him,we all are. the same he just needed bad help,that they wouldent give him.i dont know him but i read he as done it a number of times.have the courts not help this man.thats sad that show us how the system is messed up.but yet the can try to ban cig.and not drinking a beer.some people say its ok to have a beer when eating lol whats the differnts.there is none.iam a smoker trying to quit and it is very hard thing too do.i wonder how hard it is for him.stop bye anyplace thats severs alcohol.and see how many people there that drink and drive which they will not pull over because of money.untill they wreck or kills someone.them they blame him they should be blameing the one that sell it to him .its a drug just like cig.everthings a drug these days even coke cola drinks ect.they all kill people.in the end .we all need to pray and ask the lord to help us in jesus name amen.
ronnie

Bolivia, NC

#6 Jul 11, 2010
wild bill so you say its ok for someone to do it the first time.i dont think so.why you call people names have you ever drink a beer when you went out to eat.or somke pot or a cig, caffine drink, same stuff thats killing all young people thats legal.how about we all go againts them that sell the stuff.yes iam a smoker i didnt know that it was so hard to quit something like that .i dont drink tho but i have,and iam so thankful i didnt hurt my self or no one .you think he meant to kill that man i dont but the one that makes it and sells it should be the one at fault just like cig,pot,alclhol,caffine pills that kids drink and get hook too.and die from heart att.its the same thing.so how about you call your goverment and tell them what you telling that guy.and too stop selling it and too stop putting it in the food and stuff.it is a bad thing what happen i would really hate to see someone to hit my little girl that even drink 1 2hours before hitting her.yes i would be very upset.and try to go after the one that sold it.iam very very sad for the family.i will pray for them and all the souls in this woruld.may god help us all.
drugs

Bolivia, NC

#7 Jul 11, 2010
STOP SELLING DRUGS.cig.beer ect.caffien pills and drinks.kids are dyeing with hart att.from caffine drink.people are hook on drinks and everthing its a caffine drug.and people die from that too.but the goverment dont care.there makeing moneyyyyyyy.
NIGHTSHIFT

Summerville, SC

#8 Jul 11, 2010
I do believe in the dumbing down of America. Society is getting dumber each and every year.
Society is full of brain washed morons.
The world can look like a sad terrible place and can seem to offer little to nothing to so many young people that it is no wonder they do the things they do. This guy is no longer a young person.
These people are so easy to brain wash. It is no wonder they all turn to drugs whether it be the somewhat safer illegal drugs or the very dangerous and most widely abused Alcohol.
It is such a big part of our culture that it is no wonder the simple minded uneducated people in our society cannot realize how wrong it is and that getting drunk is not cool nor is it any way to live.
These people do not stand a chance. They are destine to become hopelessly addicted white trash drunken rednecks especially since almost everyone around them is doing the same thing.
The only hope they would have would be to get in trouble once or twice as a wakeup call and then get the tuff love support from their wiser friends and relatives to support them in getting sober.
Unfortunately these people to not have wiser friends and relatives. They are surrounded by low life white trash uneducated unenlightened drunken redneck enablers that continue to make the same excuses that they seem to make for everyone including themselves.
This guy is 31 years old. He has been given more second chance wake up calls than anyone self-centered loser is entitled to and still you fools are playing enabler. He does not need people like you in his life.
He needs people that have self-awareness, wisdom, and recovery that will be patient, caring and tuff on him and will show him the way to taking responsibility for his actions. People that will help him get in touch with the deeper underlying root causes for his emptiness and un-happiness that cause him to reach out side of himself with drugs in order to fill the emptiness that he has inside. He needs people that will help him to develop a real sense of self-worth based on new accomplishment. People that will help him set goals for himself and will help him to achieve those goals. There is an emptiness that he mask and hides from you all and until he can break through all of this and develop a real sense of self-worth he will never feel good enough or feel like he can live at peace in side his own skin without some kind of drug.
I assure that this guy did not just wake up one day and decide that he would become a drug addict or if you prefer Alcoholic. This did not happen overnight. It is no coincidence that he has been in trouble so many times before.
If he finds and embraces recovery then he can know a better life, but if he goes back to the kind of people that will only be enablers and make excuses for his unhealthy behavior then he is destine to stay the same and continue to destroy anything and everything around him.
CHANGE HE MUST OR DIE HE WILL.
Wild Bill

Aiken, SC

#9 Jul 12, 2010
"wild bill so you say its ok for someone to do it the first time.i dont think so."
Ronnie, read my post again, nowhere in there do I enven remotely imply that it is "OK to do it the first time." I

"them they blame him they should be blameing the one that sell it to him "
It is very easy to blame other people, such as the ones that sell alcohol, but it is only easy to do so when you are so mentally weak that you cannot take responsibility for your actions. He was grown up, he should have known better. Stop blaming society, its what criminals do to justify thier actions. He was 31 years old, I have a difficult time believing that he was not aware that driving 75 miles per hour in somebody's backyard while three times over the legal limit was wrong.

"iam talking about when you go out and eat dinner and get 1 glass people are just like him,"
No, one glass of wine at dinner does not put you at three times the legal limit.

"the same he just needed bad help,that they wouldent give him."
Who is they? Perhaps his family and friends should have stepped up?

"so how about you call your goverment and tell them what you telling that guy."
Oh, I see, it is THE GOVERNMENT'S responsibility to make sure this guy knows that driving 75 miles per hour in somebody's backyard while three times over the legal limit was wrong. I think they already got that covered now.

"and too stop selling it and too stop putting it in the food and stuff."
So, are you saying that the government puts alcohol in our food now?

"i dont know him but i read he as done it a number of times.have the courts not help this man.thats sad that show us how the system is messed up."
Back to what I was saying about I have a hard time believing he did not know it was wrong to drive 75 miles per hour in somebody's backyard while three times over the legal limit.
drugs

Bolivia, NC

#10 Jul 12, 2010
it all should be ban beer wine liqur ect.smokeing too i smoke iam trying to stop smokeing but i think it should be ban if they think it is killing people.but they want to ban smokeing before the alcohol unreal.alcohol is the worst thing out there.but they got it so cheap even the kids are getting it people dont care untill it hits them or in there family.i feel bad for all of them.evil is getting stronger everyday only because people are letting it take over there mind and soul.we need to pray everday for each other.and try to stop alot of the problems that the goverment puts out there in the world.its killing alot some slow some fast.one day we will not have to worry about it.when the lord comes now thats all i got to say

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Calabash Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cool cabana Jul 27 Lucky Dog 4
News First on 3 Update: Lotto winner, high-bond drug... Jul 26 carolyn 1
house to lease Jul 24 Timm Larry 1
Shallotte Music Emporium (Oct '12) Jul 20 Musikologist 13
internet providers near Supply? Jul 18 curious 1
News Columbus County authorities looking for arsonist (May '08) Jul 8 Carolina cracker 3
News Caswell Beach mayor stripped of duties (Nov '14) Jul 4 captainbutch 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Calabash Mortgages