Overnight shooting in Cairo

Posted in the Cairo Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
abc

Mounds, IL

#1 Sep 4, 2011
http://www.kfvs12.com/story/15392711/overnigh...

CAIRO, IL (KFVS)-
Illinois State Police are investigating an overnight shooting in Cairo.

Investigators say shots rang out at 3:10 a.m. Sunday near the intersection of 32nd and poplar streets in Cairo.

A 20-year-old woman from Lafayette, Georgia was shot. Her name is not being released pending further investigation.

Police say the woman was taken by ambulance to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

There have been no arrests made in the case and the investigation continues.
johnny walker

Ridgecrest, CA

#2 Sep 5, 2011
update the gurl was treated and released she had a thru and thru wound in her left jiggly buttocks
Slim Pickens

Fort Leonard Wood, MO

#3 Sep 5, 2011
Probably holding back dat cash on da pimp and got nailed.
Silly People

Cairo, IL

#4 Sep 6, 2011
No it was actually accidental
Concerned Citizen

Cairo, IL

#5 Sep 6, 2011
Accidental.... as in I accidentally took a gun to the club and it went off, or I accidentally open my mouth and got someone mad at me, or I accidentally made a move on somebody elses boyfriend/girlfriend and during the conversation , well you know things happen. Or, maybe I was just a innocent bystander cheering everybody else that was fighting to stop, and was hit by a stray bullet, that was meant for someone else ( as in I accidentally hit you by mistake). Still wondering .... if we will every accidentally get the full story,
def

Cairo, IL

#6 Sep 6, 2011
I hope they took her blood & check it for alcohol. 20 year old girl this year gets shot & lives. Last year we had a 19 year old die. Both bars still have their liquor license. WHY??? ISP need to start checking these bars for underage drinkers if the Cairo & Alexander County police can't or wont. This is uncalled for & should not be put up with. Did you see all the ISP in town over the weekend? Why weren't they checking & closing these bars? Why does a bar need to be open at 3am to begin with?
2funny

Cairo, IL

#7 Sep 6, 2011
did someone say she was at a bar? i know of a guy that stuck his gun down in the side of his chair one fourth of july. when he went to pull it out it caught on something and went off. shot him in the leg and he died before they could get it to stop. accidents do happen, my grandpa'd tell ya.
fed up

United States

#8 Sep 6, 2011
def wrote:
I hope they took her blood & check it for alcohol. 20 year old girl this year gets shot & lives. Last year we had a 19 year old die. Both bars still have their liquor license. WHY??? ISP need to start checking these bars for underage drinkers if the Cairo & Alexander County police can't or wont. This is uncalled for & should not be put up with. Did you see all the ISP in town over the weekend? Why weren't they checking & closing these bars? Why does a bar need to be open at 3am to begin with?
Why doesn't Cairo handle their own crap? It seems like a waste of tax Dollars to pay city police but the state police has to always come in and handle all the crimes Oh thats right cpd is on the interstate writing speeding tickets
2funny

Cairo, IL

#9 Sep 6, 2011
fed up wrote:
<quoted text>
Why doesn't Cairo handle their own crap? It seems like a waste of tax Dollars to pay city police but the state police has to always come in and handle all the crimes Oh thats right cpd is on the interstate writing speeding tickets
when cpd writes tickets on the interstate, it is income for the city that doesn't come out of the taxpayer's pocket. it comes out of the pocket of people who are breaking the law. 2 bad they can't do that with all the law breakers. my grandpa'd tell ya. then they could make more jobs for people who could buy houses and pay taxes 2.
Slim Pickens

Fort Leonard Wood, MO

#10 Sep 7, 2011
2funny wrote:
<quoted text>
when cpd writes tickets on the interstate, it is income for the city that doesn't come out of the taxpayer's pocket. it comes out of the pocket of people who are breaking the law. 2 bad they can't do that with all the law breakers. my grandpa'd tell ya. then they could make more jobs for people who could buy houses and pay taxes 2.
There's plenty of laws being broken in Cairo at any given time. I'm not speaking of the bogus annexed portion of I-57 either. I see open container law violations every time I drive through Cairo.
Jobs will vanish and housing will crumble with that continued crap.
fed up

Springfield, IL

#11 Sep 7, 2011
Slim Pickens wrote:
<quoted text>
There's plenty of laws being broken in Cairo at any given time. I'm not speaking of the bogus annexed portion of I-57 either. I see open container law violations every time I drive through Cairo.
Jobs will vanish and housing will crumble with that continued crap.
i AGREE. iF WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A POLICE DEPT THEN DO POLICE WORK AND LEAVE THE INTERSTATE TO isp TO HANDLE.
Slim Pickens

Fort Leonard Wood, MO

#12 Sep 7, 2011
Caps being busted are becoming common place in Cairo.

Since: May 11

Cairo, Illinois

#13 Sep 7, 2011
def wrote:
Both bars still have their liquor license. WHY??? ISP need to start checking these bars for underage drinkers if the Cairo & Alexander County police can't or wont. This is uncalled for & should not be put up with. Did you see all the ISP in town over the weekend? Why weren't they checking & closing these bars? Why does a bar need to be open at 3am to begin with?
I don't understand it either. Off duty cops were called to a bar downtown, because a brawl broke out with many patrons involved. I can't figure out why the bar was allowed to remain open that night.

Maybe the crowd was easier to contain there, rather than if they had scattered all over town.

I just found out that someone called the cops about a huge problem with loitering & arguing around Spirit House a couple nights ago. Why isn't Spirit House helping by telling the patrons no loitering?

On a similar note, I mentioned to someone about the guy who sits on a chair drinking across the street from Spirit House (KFC parking lot). Sits on a chair with open liquor. If we're seeing him, surely the cops are:(
Slim Pickens

Fort Leonard Wood, MO

#14 Sep 7, 2011
I believe bars close according to state law. They close at 1:00AM on our side of the river. That's why many go to the east side, especially in the St. Louis Metro area. We did the same back in the 70s when the Ill. drinking age was 19 and clubs remained open to 3:00AM.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Cairo, Illinois

#15 Sep 7, 2011
I meant because it was an emergency situation. There were so many involved in the brawl that off duty cops were called in. Plus outside cops, I believe.

The police have no power to shut down a bar when a mini-riot is starting? Like I said, maybe they chose not to, to keep the crowd in one location.

Who owns the bar where the fights broke out? I guess there are several bars downtown. I never go to bars, so I don't know which one it happened at. I know it was NOT Fatboys.

Cairo, Illinois

#16 Sep 7, 2011
I've said this before, the cops need to enforce the ... what's it called? The number of patrons allowed, based on square footage?
Concerned Citizen

Cairo, IL

#17 Sep 7, 2011
1958cairo wrote:
I've said this before, the cops need to enforce the ... what's it called? The number of patrons allowed, based on square footage?
Would this be what you are referring to???
http://www.sfm.illinois.gov/documents/How_to_...

If so, believe this has to do with fire safety load limits. Don't know if this could be enforced by police or not.

Cairo, Illinois

#18 Sep 7, 2011
I can't click on links on this POS computer;) Heh... it'll freeze up.

On TV they enforce the code;)
FYI

Cairo, IL

#19 Sep 8, 2011
According to your link, 7 sq. ft per person. A 2000 sq foot building could have 285 people in a night club situation.

I remember when a company I worked for allowed 6 sq. ft. for each person's desk and seating space... that did not include customer space or aisles for walking. They stated that they were complying with legal requirements.

Cairo, Illinois

#20 Sep 8, 2011
Those clubs are small, aren't they? I'm guessing they are closer to 1000, than 2000 sq. feet. Maybe less. Could be under 140 max capacity.

Bet they go way over that some weekend nights. Especially when they have live entertainment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cairo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Levee Project Opposed by Many 47 min missouri man 16
What happened to Cairo 2 hr Yep 2
Coroner called to violent bank robbery in Cairo... (May '14) Wed Justice maker 5
Solid Brass Two Handles Bathroom Faucets Dec 22 Bradoa 1
Wall Mounted Double Handles Bathtub Faucet Dec 22 Bradoa 1
Bo Purchase is running for Mayor Dec 20 curiousity 8
Torey P Dec 20 curiousity 1
Cairo Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Cairo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Cairo News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Cairo

Personal Finance