A Cairo man set to go to trial this spring after a double shooting

May 17, 2011 Full story: KZIM-AM Cape Girardeau 44

A Cairo, Illinois, man is set to go to trial this spring after a deadly shooting July 1st.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
and

United States

#1 May 17, 2011
What your point for keeping putting ut up their? Do you know whats going on with him its been a year now almost?

Since: May 11

Cairo, Illinois

#2 May 18, 2011
I didn't know about that shooting outside a Cairo club.

I knew about the shooting outside another Cairo club on Commercial... that happened on new year's eve a few years ago.

Then there was the murder of the two females in a house ... was the person ever caught for that?

Cairo, IL

#3 May 18, 2011
A Cairo man set to go to trial this spring after a double shooting

----------

A Cairo, Illinois, man is set to go to trial this spring after a deadly shooting July 1st. 28-year-old Melvin Hadley is in custody for the shooting 19-year-old Jeserick Pilgrim of Mounds outside a club. Investigators cordoned off the area around Mary J's Club at 4th and Commercial Streets after the incident at 2:30 AM. Police say Hadley and Pilgram knew each other. Hadley remains in the Tri-County Detention Center. He is charged with 2-counts of second-degree murder and 2-counts of aggravated battery with a firearm. Judge Mark Clark this week re-set his trial for June 7th in Cairo.

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1728364.htm...

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1646942.htm...
CAIRO, Ill.-- A suspect has been arrested in connection to a Thursday homicide in Cairo.
Melvin Hadley, 28, of Cairo was arrested by police and was housed in the Tri-County Detention Center as of Friday morning, according to a news release from Cairo Police Chief Timothy Brown. Charges were pending with the Alexander County State's Attorney's office.

Jeserick Pilgram, 19, of Mounds, Ill., was shot to death after 2 a.m., outside Mary J's Lounge in the 400 block of Commercial Street. Another man, Tyrone Watson, 30, of Cairo was shot in the lower left calf and taken by helicopter to a Cape Girardeau hospital, said Lt. Gary Hankins of the Cairo Police Department. Watson was in stable condition Thursday evening.

Police responded to a report of shots fired near the intersection of Fourth and Commercial streets about 2:30 a.m. and found 75 to 100 people gathered there.

Police said shots were fired in the street from what they believe to be handguns. Two vehicles near the scene were hit by stray bullets, Hankins said.
http://www.semissourian.com/story/1647582.htm...

CAIRO, Ill.-- A Cairo man arrested Friday in connection to the shooting death of 19-year-old Jeserick Pilgram was charged Tuesday with two counts of second-degree murder and two counts of aggravated battery with a firearm.
Melvin Hadley, 28, is accused of shooting Pilgram, of Mounds, Ill., just before 2 a.m. Thursday outside Mary J's Lounge in Cairo.

Tyrone Watson, 30, was also shot, reportedly in the left calf at the same location -- the 400 block of Commercial Street. He was taken to an area hospital by helicopter after the incident.

Cairo police have said the victim and Hadley knew each other and were patrons of the bar prior to the shooting.

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1668030.htm...
CAIRO, Ill.-- A court appearance set for Tuesday for the 28-year-old Cairo man charged in the July 1 shooting death of Jeserick Pilgram has been postponed to November, according to Alexander County State's Attorney Jeff Ferris.
Melvin Hadley, 28, now appears on the Nov. 2 jury docket.

Hadley is accused of shooting Pilgram, 19, around 2 a.m. July 1 in front of Mary J's Lounge, a bar in Cairo. He's charged with two counts of second-degree murder and two counts of aggravated battery with a firearm.

At the time of the shooting, police said Pilgram and Hadley knew each other and were customers at the establishment before the incident.
curious

Cairo, IL

#4 May 18, 2011
i take it the top article is the most recent, the second article was the oldest, the third one was the nest to oldest, the fourth one is the next to newest.
Slim Pickens

Fort Leonard Wood, MO

#5 May 18, 2011
A year supervised probation with intense anger management therapy should be sufficient. Also if the accused is determined that his civil rights were violated during his youth causing him to act out, then provide grants for a 4 year degree progam to help overcome this injustice.

Cairo, Illinois

#6 May 19, 2011
"Police responded to a report of shots fired near the intersection of Fourth and Commercial streets about 2:30 a.m. and found 75 to 100 people gathered there."

That's a lot of people for a small town bar=/

What's closing time for bars in Cairo?

Cairo, IL

#7 May 19, 2011
This happened on July 1,2010. Must of had a band going. Right before a holiday. Think bars lock doors at 2 am. Not sure when their customers leave.
Not really

Cairo, IL

#8 May 19, 2011
Belive it or not, someone counted over 100 car's at Rodney's one weekend. Friday & Saturday night's you cant drive down that end of Commercial without almost runing over someone!! Small world isnt it??
observer

United States

#9 May 19, 2011
ah yes our school board member
Slim Pickens

Fort Leonard Wood, MO

#10 May 19, 2011
observer wrote:
ah yes our school board member
Where does this school board member fit in ???

It's seems like the drama in Cairo never ends.

Cairo, IL

#11 May 19, 2011
Rodney Moore owns a black bar/night club. He also just got elected to the Cairo School Board.

You can stop laughing now we know the jokes on us.
Dr Dan

Cairo, IL

#12 May 19, 2011
So the man figured out how to make a living in a town with no jobs like many other Cairoites have done before him. And people from around the area come to his establishment just like they did the El Patio, the Rockery, Club 18, Napoleon Garrett's place of business, the Hub, the La Petite (owned by a brother of a St. Louis mayor), The Rex, The Spirit House (owned by a high school coach),the Kentucky Bar, the Fourth Street Bar, the Cavalier Club and the Elks.

Now, if we had some restaurants open after the bars close, we could also be making money off the sales tax from the breakfasts they would sell just like restaurants in this town used to do.
Slim Pickens

Fort Leonard Wood, MO

#13 May 19, 2011
guest wrote:
Rodney Moore owns a black bar/night club. He also just got elected to the Cairo School Board.
I'm not laughing.......... I won't knock someone for trying to make a living as long as their business practices and operations are lawful. My own personal beliefs and opinions are just that. Owning a nightclub and being on the school board may seem conflicting but it doesn't pose a conflict of interest. On the other hand, I'd be very disturbed with CPU employees being on the city council. Not good..........
also

Philadelphia, PA

#14 May 20, 2011
Why everyone still talking bout this man and it's been two other murder down in that are in April. So keep talking if you not going to be fair.

Cairo, Illinois

#15 May 20, 2011
Not really wrote:
Belive it or not, someone counted over 100 car's at Rodney's one weekend. Friday & Saturday night's you cant drive down that end of Commercial without almost runing over someone!! Small world isnt it??
Who is supposed to be checking for capacity at the club? What's the correct term for it?;)

If there was ever a fire there, it could result in many deaths if they are over the limit. I assume they have a sprinkler system installed or whatever is needed to meet code in a place that has so many patrons at once.

Cairo, Illinois

#16 May 20, 2011
Dr Dan wrote:
So the man figured out how to make a living in a town with no jobs like many other Cairoites have done before him.
The problem is that we have a high crime rate, much drug dealing, a horrible reputation for both and the substance abuse, so prevalent in Cairo, is one of the reasons why there are no jobs.

But the liquor stores and a nightclub are hopping.

Not to mention two separate shootings... at two clubs, a block apart, down there.

The city needs to keep a watchful eye on the club.

Another problem... outsiders won't believe this one=/ The kids in town have dances. Not at the high school in the gym, like most schools. But at local clubs. yes, liquor establishments. No liquor is served to those underage... supposedly. There have been several & I'm not sure who is sponsoring them, but I'll try to find out.

I had to bitch about a sign posted on the entrance door to Cairo High School inviting students to a party at a club in town. The school secretary thought I was a troublemaker, no doubt.

Cairo, Illinois

#17 May 20, 2011
guest wrote:
guest, we don't have black & white bars:D It's just a club... white folks can go there, too;)

Did Rodney run unopposed for the School Board seat?
pleads guilty

Cairo, IL

#18 Jul 13, 2011
http://cairoassociationofteachers.com/7-13-11...

Cairo man pleads guilty to murder

By Erin Hevern ~ Southeast Missourian

CAIRO, Ill.-- A Cairo man's trial was canceled this week after he pleaded guilty to shooting Jeserick Pilgram of Mounds, Ill., last July.

Melvin Hadley, 28, pleaded guilty Friday to manslaughter, according to Alexander County State's Attorney Jeff Farris.

He was originally charged with two counts of second-degree murder and two counts of aggravated battery with a firearm.

Farris said there are different methods of charging defendants for the same crime. His jury trial was to begin today in Cairo.

Around 2:30 a.m. July 1, 2010, Hadley shot Pilgram outside Mary J's Lounge. He faces up to five years in prison.

His sentencing will be Aug. 5 at the Alexander County Courthouse before Judge Mark Clarke.
pleads guilty

Cairo, IL

#19 Jul 13, 2011
He faces up to five years in prison.????

His sentencing will be Aug. 5 at the Alexander County Courthouse before Judge Mark Clarke.

Come on only UP TO FIVE YEARS FOR MURDER???
pleads guilty

Cairo, IL

#20 Jul 13, 2011
What would that be maybe a year & half with good behavior? For real?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cairo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
snow plows 1 hr Idiots 7
fbi in cairo 3 hr ghost of cairo 5
the health department at cutmart (Oct '12) Mon You know who 3
why is it so many fires in cairo Mar 2 ghost of cairo 2
is Cairo about to flood Mar 2 ghost of cairo 2
cairo caster? Mar 1 oldpilot 6
thinking about moving here? Mar 1 Cairo armpit 33

Winter Storm Warning for Alexander County was issued at March 04 at 11:48PM CST

Cairo Dating
Find my Match