is this 12street

Posted in the Cairo Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Alexander County in La

United States

#1 Sep 9, 2008
I think that's the northwest corner of Poplar and 16th or 17th. Magnificent windows!
enter name

Cairo, IL

#2 Sep 11, 2008
yes

Saint Louis, MO

#3 Sep 13, 2008
Yes but no longer there. Bad storm tore it apart, it's old members are elsewhere
relic

West Plains, MO

#4 Sep 15, 2008
Isn't the church for sale. Or was it and then it was torn apart. I thought it was a church over on MLK that collapsed after a storm.
Missing Cairo

United States

#5 Sep 15, 2008
The church is currently listed, intact, for sale by United Country, Kraatz Realty, of Anna, Illinois. Unless something has happened in the last week or so, the place is in great shape. Those windows are probably worth the asking price.
skor14me

Cairo, IL

#6 Sep 15, 2008
I thought someone from Carbondale was going to buy it for some sort of community center for the citizens of Cairo. What happened?

United States

#7 Sep 15, 2008
You have wrong information. The church is cleared out. Storm, fire, wrecker truck completed the demolition of it not too long ago. It is a clear lot on the corner of 12th and MLK.
relic

West Plains, MO

#8 Sep 15, 2008
I would love to own that church. I am going to check into it. We have been looking to bring our antique business to Cairo for a while now and just can't seem to get organized but that church would be motivational unless of course it if being purchased by someone else. Thanks fo the info. By the way do you know of anyone who owns derilict houses they would like to sell the contents or parts of. I will be over soon and am always looking I would much rather see it saved but if it is going to be torn down I like to see it salvaged.
Missing Cairo

Saltillo, MS

#9 Sep 15, 2008
Guest wrote:
You have wrong information. The church is cleared out. Storm, fire, wrecker truck completed the demolition of it not too long ago. It is a clear lot on the corner of 12th and MLK.
sorry, but this church is located on the northwest corner of 16th and Poplar as was stated by someone earlier. Across the street on the Northeast corner was a Baptist Church which later became Crain Funeral Home and then the Southern Health Department. It did catch fire, but they are two entirely different buildings.
been-there

Cairo, IL

#10 Sep 16, 2008
Guest wrote:
I think this is the church you are thinking of "Guest".

Cairo, IL
Storms Strike Church

Posted: Jan 30, 2008 07:06 PM CST
Updated: Jan 31, 2008 03:34 PM CST
By: Wes Wallace

CAIRO, Ill.- Tuesday's severe weather left pockets of damage all across the Heartland. That meant a lot of people spent Wednesday cleaning up debris, including members of the First Missionary Baptist Church in Cairo.

http://www.kfvs12.com/Global/story.asp...

United States

#11 Sep 16, 2008
You are correct, my relatives did tell me that although this picture does make it appear similar to the other church, it is not. It is currently located still on the corner of 16th and Poplar across from where a community center used to stand. Sorry, my memory fails me at times. If I remember correctly it was a small population that attended there when I was last in Cairo, mostly elderly Caucasian. I wonder how the inside of the building has held up without a fellowship. thanks for the correction.

Since: Apr 11

Minneapolis, MN

#12 May 2, 2011
The church is located at the NW corner of the intersection of 16th & Poplar, I believe that someone bought it and has removed the stained glass windows. The removal of the windows was and is a shame.
I lived for several years at 1508 Poplar.

GJW

Since: Jun 10

Sikeston, MO

#13 May 5, 2011
It was Rev Hopkins (Sp)church his son Steve is retired from the Air Force. Steve was in the class of 68 and Mrs. Hopkins taught school in Cairo.Yes it is located 16th and Poplar.
Be kind to one another.
Slim Pickens

Fort Leonard Wood, MO

#14 May 5, 2011
Surprised it wasn't being used as a crack house
Jones

Jackson, TN

#15 Jun 16, 2011
This is the Northwest corner of 16th St. and Poplar.
nearingretiremen t

Springfield, IL

#16 Jun 17, 2011
That was the Christian Church, sold on e-bay. See

Another church for sale in Cairo on ebay - Topix
19 posts - 7 authors - Last post: Mar 8, 2010
The former First Christian Church of Cairo, Illinois is for sale and 1/2 of .... why is the location on e-bay listed as being in Carbondale?...
www.topix.com/forum/city/cairo-il/TDESNNQEJSR...

Cairo, IL

#17 Jun 17, 2011
More bidders?

Anyway most if not all the windows have been taken out & just open holes left in the church. Sad but wonder if they are still giving half the proceeds to help the kids in Cairo?
cairo54

United States

#18 Jun 17, 2011
mrs.hopkin's was my 5th.grade teacher in lincoln,loved her.
Janice broussard Coari

United States

#19 Dec 8, 2011
Alexander County in La wrote:
I think that's the northwest corner of Poplar and 16th or 17th. Magnificent windows!
Part of these windows were partially donated in 2010 - 2011 to the Seelos Center in New orleans, Louisiana and are now installed in the chapel..to live on for many years to come....MAGNIFICENT is hardly the word..far above magnificent - they are now blessed.
Janice Broussard Coari

United States

#20 Dec 8, 2011
OLDSCHOOL71 wrote:
The church is located at the NW corner of the intersection of 16th & Poplar, I believe that someone bought it and has removed the stained glass windows. The removal of the windows was and is a shame.
I lived for several years at 1508 Poplar.
The removal of the windows was a miracle and not a shame...those windows went to a Catholic Church - Blessed Seelos Center in new Orleans, Louisiana...they are installed in the chapel and will be enjoyed by many for years to come. This all came about due to the genorosity and kind heart of the man who saved the church from demolition and bought it. The windows would have been destroyed
but are now living on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cairo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What are you true thoughts of Sheriff Randy Kern (Feb '09) 8 hr Go Randy 3
Cairo Subway (Apr '14) 19 hr just the facts 18
Alexander County elections Oct 18 Thinking 8
Cairo Music Forum (Jan '13) Oct 17 Musikologist 14
NEW CLUB in Cairo Oct 16 talk of town 8
Do White Men LIke "Thick" Black women? (May '11) Oct 16 Taylor55 68
Artie aide office Oct 16 crooked 2
Cairo Dating
Find my Match

Cairo Jobs