Cairo Armory Reuse

Since: May 11

Cairo, Illinois

#1 Apr 27, 2012
Someone posted that our Armory may be used for gambling. We can do better!:)

Links to articles about armory reuse across the U.S.....

~~~

Armories as Sports Centers & Military Museum

While transforming a former Armory can be a daunting challenge, other Capital Region Armory’s have seen success in recent years. The Washington Avenue Armory in Albany is now a sports and entertainment complex. The former Troy Armory is now the RPI student union. And in Amsterdam, the former Armory there is now a single family home.

http://blog.timesunion.com/cohoes/fate-of-coh...

Comments to the article:

Another good example of adaptive re-use of armories in the region is the armory in Saratoga Springs, now the NYS Military Museum.

A small point. The former Troy Armory is actually an athletic facility at RPI called the Alumni Sports & Recreation Center. The Student Union is just north of the old armory. The main floor of the former armory is dominated by an indoor track. Attached to the south side of the Armory is a newer structure housing the Robinson Pool. An addition on the north side is the Mueller Center (which is equiped very much like a exercise room at your local Y – only bigger!)

~~~

Motion Picture Construction Set (Road to Perdition)

http://zafiro.us/adaptive-reuse/armory.htm

~~~

Luxury Apartments

http://codebluepulse.blogspot.com/2011/01/pen...

~~~

Firehouse

A possible move of the Saranac Lake Fire Department to the armory may be another opportunity for reuse. The current site would make a brilliant home for the Getaway Youth Center, with the engine bays serving as a small indoor skatepark and multi-use sports surface.

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page...

~~~

Government Office Building

This Neo-Classical building, constructed in 1932 as a National Guard Armory and served its country well. The State of Delaware decided to breathe new life into the building with an adaptive reuse for office use for the State. The well built structure and impressive amenities such as the two story drill hall and associated two story windows, provided ample opportunity to make a distinctive modern office facility function efficiently and accentuate that advantages that the classic structure presented.

http://www.elevatearchitects.com/renovation/s...

~

~~~

Shopping Center
http://rocville.com/...

~~~

Community Center

Brighton Armory officially recognized as best building reuse

Downtown Colorado, Inc (DCI) has selected the Armory at Brighton Cultural Center to receive the 2010 Governor's Award for Downtown Excellence in the "Best Building Adaptive Reuse" category. DCI judges stated that the Armory was a "Beautifully executed project that has been a real catalyst for downtown revitalization efforts. Great partnership with the library and other groups."

The "Best Building Adaptive Reuse" category recognizes a historic building in a business district which has changed its use, but its form is retained and easily identifiable as its original use.

The Armory was renovated in 2008 through a public-private partnership that involved the city of Brighton, the Brighton Urban Renewal Authority (BURA), Brighton Redevelopment Company, LLC, Bleeker Vigesaa General Contractors, This Place in Time, the heART of Brighton, and a grant from the Colorado Department of Local Affairs. The renovation of the 1922 building was done to maintain the building's historical integrity while creating a versatile space for the performing arts, visual arts, meetings, and other events and activities. Since it's opening in October 2009, over 11,400 people have enjoyed performances, exhibits and events.

http://yourhub.denverpost.com/adamscounty/bri...

Continued...
Kwach

Marion, IL

#2 Feb 5, 2013
If I had the money (or the grant) I'd turn it into a Fine Arts Center with a gallery, a theater and classrooms for workshops. Wherever there are people there is talent -- musical, artistic, acting, writing -- it's our human nature to create.

But who would come? And who would participate? Sadly, I've come to the conclusion that Cairo has what Cairo wants and Cairo folk aren't very receptive to new ideas. Lord knows, I've had a million of 'em and been told no.
Thank You

United States

#3 Feb 5, 2013
Kwach wrote:
If I had the money (or the grant) I'd turn it into a Fine Arts Center with a gallery, a theater and classrooms for workshops. Wherever there are people there is talent -- musical, artistic, acting, writing -- it's our human nature to create.
But who would come? And who would participate? Sadly, I've come to the conclusion that Cairo has what Cairo wants and Cairo folk aren't very receptive to new ideas. Lord knows, I've had a million of 'em and been told no.
If you build it, they will come.
stretch

Eastaboga, AL

#4 Feb 7, 2013
Cairo should build and promote a race track north of the railroad underpass on the vacant ground there. Cairo should also build and promote it's own Baseball team. In other words, Cairo needs to be known for something better than what it is currently known for. Take the misconception of tourism completely out of the equation and anybody that even suggests the idea should be kicked so hard they'd have to wear their ass as a hat.
just the facts

Cairo, IL

#5 Feb 7, 2013
We can do better!
I see your puffin on the skunk cabbage again. Do you ever get off your dead ars and do anything but dream. Guess we will have reports of gunfire tonight near you or is that the smoke again, hard to tell anymore.
stretch

Lithonia, GA

#6 Feb 7, 2013
Reports of gunfire near me? I don't reside in Cairo.
nope

Cairo, IL

#7 Feb 9, 2013
Using Cairo for "tourism" is overrated.....lets think outside the box......we have potential to be great!!!!
thought

Little Rock, AR

#8 Feb 9, 2013
Just drive thru the gap on eight street and look at the river traffic daily, renew the contract, receive FAIR market value for the waterfront, figure a way to keep the council out of it, then start inland, the rivers made the town and with the RIGHT people they can help it
silverhawk

Woodstock, IL

#9 Feb 9, 2013
thought wrote:
Just drive thru the gap on eight street and look at the river traffic daily, renew the contract, receive FAIR market value for the waterfront, figure a way to keep the council out of it, then start inland, the rivers made the town and with the RIGHT people they can help it
The waterfront is for private business and the Ohio river belongs to Kentuckians. We don't need help from Cairo.
thought

Lebanon, MO

#10 Feb 9, 2013
That is right private buisness with fair compensation to the taxpayers who maintain infrastructure for the business, Kentucky does Motown the banks of the river
silverhawk

Woodstock, IL

#11 Feb 9, 2013
thought wrote:
That is right private buisness with fair compensation to the taxpayers who maintain infrastructure for the business, Kentucky does Motown the banks of the river
Cairo taxpayers don't maintain the infrastructure for the river business at Cairo. Go mooch compensation somewhere else.
drphil

United States

#12 Feb 10, 2013
'eminent domain' is comin on the waterfront.the private sector has milked her long enough.cairo is taking over.bout time.
silverhawk

Woodstock, IL

#13 Feb 10, 2013
drphil wrote:
'eminent domain' is comin on the waterfront.the private sector has milked her long enough.cairo is taking over.bout time.
LMAO! I don't think there's much to worry about. There ain't 2 people there with a single idea or two nickels to rub together between 'em. Your mayor and city council must be the dumbest bunch of wannabes on record. What's that say for Cairo's voters? You are absolutely correct!
thought

Lampe, MO

#14 Feb 10, 2013
Same political hacks with a new title

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cairo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Aunjolique bellamy Sat Ax me where she be 4
Who gives up azz the easiest in mound city Jan 20 Russians did it 2
riverlore Jan 19 overhere 1
Cairo Music Forum (Jan '13) Jan 19 Musikologist 18
Oil Rubbed Bronze Wall Mount Bathroom Faucet Jan 13 Funny 2
Antique Gold Finish Bathroom Sink Drain Faucet ... Jan 13 Funny 2
what would it take to restore cairo (Mar '11) Jan 9 Sunk 110

Cairo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance