Persy

Fairview, MO

#1 Dec 11, 2013
Who shot her?
a nobody

Dongola, IL

#2 Dec 11, 2013
Chauncy M. Hughes, 30, is now being held at Tri-County Justice and Detention Center in Ullin. Hughes, the victimís husband was named as a suspect shortly after the shooting occurred and fled the area.

According to Illinois State Police, the Cairo Police Department responded to 733 35th Street around 8:30 p.m. for a victim not breathing. When officers arrived at the residence, they found a single gunshot victim.

Heather N. Davis, 22, was taken to St. Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau where she was pronounced dead.
Persy

Fairview, MO

#3 Dec 11, 2013
thanks. So sad.
hoo hoo

Cairo, IL

#4 Feb 3, 2014
what a waist of a beautiful young person that loved everyone--My heart goes out to her family.Not the parasite that killed her
serious

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Apr 17, 2014
RIP sweet angel. We still think of you daily

Dongola, IL

#6 Apr 21, 2014
In this weeks Cairo Citizen that Chauncy M. Hughes wants to change his confession he made on video. Heís nuts, safer for him in jail than out I would think.
gest

Dongola, IL

#7 May 30, 2014
I still donít know why they are having the battery case the same time as the murder trial.

Cairo homicide case continued to June 4
Wednesday, May 28, 2014

By Emily Priddy ~ Southeast Missourian

CAIRO, Ill.-- The murder case against Chauncey Hughes hit another delay Tuesday as attorneys for both sides agreed to continue a defense motion to suppress his confession.

Hughes, 30, faces felony murder charges in connection with the Nov. 1 shooting death of his wife, Heather Davis, 22.

The continuance Tuesday was the second since Hughes' attorney, public defender Zach Gowin, filed a motion April 1 in Alexander County, Illinois, Circuit Court to suppress his confession to state and county law enforcement officers.

At a preliminary hearing in December, Illinois State Police Special Agent Ryan Sykes testified that Hughes initially told Illinois State Police Sgt. Chad Brown and Alexander County Sheriff Tim Brown a pistol accidentally discharged as Davis handed it to him.

When the sheriff and the state trooper expressed doubt about Hughes' version of events, he changed his story, saying he accidentally shot Hughes while attempting to scare her during an altercation, Sykes testified.

At a pretrial conference Tuesday morning, Judge Mark Clarke granted a motion by State's Attorney Jeff Farris to continue the case to June 4.

Hughes was charged Nov. 2 with five counts of murder. Farris has said he filed multiple charges to give a jury several options.

Hughes also faces three aggravated battery charges in a separate case filed in June.

The battery case had been set for trial in January, but at Gowin's request, it was rescheduled for trial at the same time as the murder case.

Both cases are scheduled to go to trial June 17.

Davis owned and managed Mack's Restaurant in Cairo.

Dongola, IL

#8 Aug 19, 2014
Did Hughes trial for murder start today?
pissedoff

Mounds, IL

#9 Aug 19, 2014
I believe jury selection started yesterday or today.
Mee

Arnold, MO

#10 Aug 20, 2014
Did it start yet?
Over here

Ballwin, MO

#11 Aug 23, 2014
All you can say is a travesty, why this was not moved to another county is anyone's guess

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cairo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How is the new grocery doing Wed overhere 5
Upcoming Mayoral Election - Mound City Mar 19 Frederick - Mound... 17
down low brothers (Dec '08) Mar 19 shada4_5 4
News Gov. Quinn signs bill creating Alexander-Cairo ... (Jul '10) Mar 18 overhere 30
that curt guy (Apr '16) Mar 15 2 cool 3
grocery store heritage farms coming to Cairo (Aug '16) Mar 14 Hmmmm 7
riverlore Mar 14 Hmmmm 5

Cairo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cairo Mortgages