Cairo Illinois 2003 Financial Statements

Posted in the Cairo Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
New Cairoite

United States

#1 Jul 13, 2008
The City of Cairo Illinois has not issued financial statements for 6 years.

All I have heard from any of you is that the 2003 financials were audited and never were issued because Paul Farris wouldn't sign them.

So, Childs is mayor now. Why hasn't he signed and issued them? Is there a problem with their numbers? They were already audited and they were for a year when Wilson was mayor and Preston Ewing was Treasurer. And, I have read that Childs was "unofficially" assistant mayor during some portion of Wilson's term.

Why aren't all of the critics of Farris and supporters of Wilson/Childs clammoring for those already audited financial statements to be signed and issued?
been-there

Cairo, IL

#2 Jul 15, 2008
I wish Cairo would learn from Missouri cities & counties. They talk about budgets & making cuts to offset lower income. One even compared it to running a household. Common sense imagine that.

Counties, cities see sales tax revenue fall
Monday, July 14, 2008
By Rudi Keller
Southeast Missourian

http://www.semissourian.com/article/20080714/...
New Cairoite

United States

#3 Jul 15, 2008
You notice that "not quite", Richie Pitcher's PT person (honestly, Pitcher, is that the best you can do for a PR person?) will not address any of these valid issues.

"been-there", you would remember, was Hesselrode clerk when Wilson left office and was Ewing Treasurer?

And, "not quite", why have the 2003 financials not been signed?
been-there

Cairo, IL

#4 Jul 15, 2008
Yes but they were gone for 4 years so they may have to verify numbers weren't changed. I think 14 months has been ample enough time for that to have been done.
New Cairoite

United States

#5 Jul 15, 2008
That could have been done in a couple of hours!

AND, are you telling me they do not trust their outside CPA auditor??????????

I was told this is the same CPA firm the Wilson administration used when they were in office.

They had a trial balance when they left office. Any adjustments to that were probably recommended by the CPA in this instance and in many instances. Any adjustments were made to their original unadjusted trial balance which would not change, especially if the outside CPA firm controlled and was maintaining the general ledger as I am told by Lorrie and Preston they are doing now.

So, the question is:

Why has Mayor Childs not signed and issued the 2003 audited financial statements? And, why are the six council members not demanding they be signed and issued. To give kudos to anyone because Lorrie and Preston are working on the 2004 financials is insane. The 2003 final numbers are the starting numbers for 2004. NO WAY they can get around that.

Something is smelling really rotten! Don't you think?
New Cairoite

United States

#6 Jul 15, 2008
To respond to Missing Cairoite's query on another topic, I have no connections to any previous administration.

I have not suggested looking into any wrongdoing by any of them. I have stated that would take a forensic economist. I do not have those credentials.

The 2003 audited financials should have been signed and issued the day Childs took office and the audit of the 2004 financials should have been started by the CPA firm the same day.

If I could have walked into city hall and been given the 2003 audited financials, I would have given them no further thought. Something funny could have happened to the numbers and I would not have thought to even pose that question.

BUT..........

This crew does not appear to be that bright. If and when those financials are released, they will be scrutinized by more than just me, I am certain.

When taxpayers get their tax bills this winter and when they get their first heating bill that has gone up 40 plus percent, they may just be willing to contribute to a fund to hire that forensic economist.
New Cairoite

Highwood, IL

#7 Jul 15, 2008
been-there wrote:
I wish Cairo would learn from Missouri cities & counties. They talk about budgets & making cuts to offset lower income. One even compared it to running a household. Common sense imagine that.
Counties, cities see sales tax revenue fall
Monday, July 14, 2008
By Rudi Keller
Southeast Missourian
http://www.semissourian.com/article/20080714/...
They don't have to learn. They don't even have to do their jobs. They think they can just continue to use that rubber stamp they were given and continue to collect that ENTITLEMENT.

Illinois voters do not have the power of recall. Missouri voters do.

The internet is a very powerful medium. We need to keep talking about Cairo Illinois.

And, I think the party is closer to being over for all of them than they think. I posted about the Bilderbergers on another forum. They want our auto gas to go to $ 6 a gallon in the next year. What is that going to do to home heating oil and natural gas? Can the majority of homeowners in Cairo pay more than double what they are now paying for heat?

Psychics have predicted a financial collapse for 2008 and a very, very long recovery period for about 5 years now. Financial gurus are now talking out loud that the economy is going to be much worse than most economists currently think and that the US economy may not ever recover. One said yesterday he thought we were maybe in just the second inning. Lot more bad news to come.

That means each person talking on here should be more worried about their own personal finances than defending their elected officials from real or imagined threats that their actions are going to be scrutinized.
Chinatown

Slidell, LA

#8 Jul 15, 2008
New Cairoite wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't have to learn. They don't even have to do their jobs. They think they can just continue to use that rubber stamp they were given and continue to collect that ENTITLEMENT.
Illinois voters do not have the power of recall. Missouri voters do.
The internet is a very powerful medium. We need to keep talking about Cairo Illinois.
And, I think the party is closer to being over for all of them than they think. I posted about the Bilderbergers on another forum. They want our auto gas to go to $ 6 a gallon in the next year. What is that going to do to home heating oil and natural gas? Can the majority of homeowners in Cairo pay more than double what they are now paying for heat?
Psychics have predicted a financial collapse for 2008 and a very, very long recovery period for about 5 years now. Financial gurus are now talking out loud that the economy is going to be much worse than most economists currently think and that the US economy may not ever recover. One said yesterday he thought we were maybe in just the second inning. Lot more bad news to come.
That means each person talking on here should be more worried about their own personal finances than defending their elected officials from real or imagined threats that their actions are going to be scrutinized.
Illinois voters don't have the power of recall because your Illinois representatives just voted against it!

Yes, New Cairoite, gas prices are going up..Add to that our banks may be closing...

Like it or not, the future doesn't look too rosy.

All of us, Cairo's elected officials included, are being dragged into a brave new world. Change IS inevitable.
Missing Cairo

Union, SC

#9 Jul 15, 2008
Well the law banning recall needs to be tried in the court system to see if it will stand the test of being constitutional. Like so many laws, it is hoped that no one will test it.

You notice that any state laws banning private ownership of guns just got overturned.

The people must remember that we are guaranteed government not only OF the people but FOR and BY the people.
Chinatown

Slidell, LA

#10 Jul 15, 2008
Missing Cairo wrote:
Well the law banning recall needs to be tried in the court system to see if it will stand the test of being constitutional. Like so many laws, it is hoped that no one will test it.
You notice that any state laws banning private ownership of guns just got overturned.
The people must remember that we are guaranteed government not only OF the people but FOR and BY the people.
Good idea. Some Illinois citizen needs to challenge the recall ban in court.
Missing Cairo

Utica, KY

#11 Jul 15, 2008
Thanks. I thought so. And since it challenges the constitutionality of the law, the ACLU might welcome the case.
New Cairoite

Highwood, IL

#12 Jul 15, 2008
Missing Cairo wrote:
Thanks. I thought so. And since it challenges the constitutionality of the law, the ACLU might welcome the case.
I do not think there is currently any wording about "recall" in the state statutes.

It sounds like they voted against a proposed law that would have put it in.

If that is the case, there is not a "law" to challenge, rather there is a lack of a law.
Missing Cairo

Utica, KY

#13 Jul 15, 2008
How can they stop something they haven't made a rule about? The idea then would be to start a recall movement under your own rules and then, if it were refused, let the ACLU sue to find out if it was constitutional.

Sometimes precedent from another state is allowed.
Chinatown

Slidell, LA

#14 Jul 15, 2008
New Cairoite wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not think there is currently any wording about "recall" in the state statutes.
It sounds like they voted against a proposed law that would have put it in.
If that is the case, there is not a "law" to challenge, rather there is a lack of a law.
You're right. It was a vote AGAINST a proposed law to allow voters' recall.
New Cairoite

Highwood, IL

#15 Jul 15, 2008
We have, and the state of Illinois encourages, the powers of initiatives and referendums.

I have bought a couple of books. The problem for me is time this next 15 months.

People care here. Some of them don't know what they can do. Some are afraid.

Done_That

Slidell, LA

#16 Jul 15, 2008
If a recall initiative can be started by Mr. or Mrs. Average Cairo Citizen, then someone should step forward and do so.

The good citizens of Cairo will thank them.
New Cairoite

Highwood, IL

#17 Jul 15, 2008
I was thinking of maybe some county-wide initiatives since the votes are for sale here in Cairo.
Missing Cairo

Utica, KY

#18 Jul 15, 2008
New Cairoite

I realize your motives are probably of the purest intent. What is going to stand in your way is the fact that while you are a property owner, you do not claim to be a resident, nor are you a registered voter in either Cairo or Alexander County.

The people of the area have learned to be very leery of outsiders who do not make the complete committment. Too many have proven to be profit or otherwise motivated Are you in a position to make the final complete committment?
New Cairoite

United States

#19 Jul 15, 2008
First, I have to ask what is left in Cairo to profit from? The CPU/public trough feeders and corrupt elected officials have already sucked the city dry. I don't see anything left for any outsider to profit from. May be why they are not coming to Cairo in droves. You think?

The only people leery of outsiders are the CPU/public trough feeders. The honest, hardworking people are not leery of outsiders. They think we must be crazy to invest here or that we must be in the witness protection program.
But, leery, no. Many have said it will take new people moving into town to change Cairo. As we were contemplating how much more we are willing to invest, a relative of one of the feeders told us they hoped we would stay and fight city hall. This person would like to see them all resign, says none of them are any good, including the relative. It is just absolutely amazing how receptive people are here in Cairo. Perhaps they can talk to new people because they don't have to worry about who in town we might be related to or aligned with. And, they are tired of the high CPU bills and property taxes.
Missing Cairo

Utica, KY

#20 Jul 15, 2008
Although the subject of Sikeston, Missouri, came up in another thread, this one is about financial statements and I thought that while making comparisons between cities you might find the Sikeston projected budget of interest.

http://www.sikeston.org/GovtServices/BudgetSu...

As you can see, they have many sources of revenue as well as a much larger tax base. A budget built on a ratio basis might be one to consider for the City of Cairo. And then tailor services to fit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cairo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Menard Correctional Facility Check List 1 hr Mr Bill 1
New cops in Cairo Tue Bahhhhaaa 3
grocery store heritage farms coming to Cairo Aug 22 over here 2
Butter Top Coffee Cake Recipe (Mar '11) Aug 21 Jeff 9
Daryl gully Jackson Aug 16 Dookie fingers 1
India Aug 13 Haha 6
Does Cairo have any AA meetings? Aug 13 wondering 1

Cairo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance