St. Clair County Sheriff's Office accused of ignoring law to keep man's SUV impounded longer

Dec 6, 2012 Full story: KMOV-TV Saint Louis 16

ST. CLAIR COUNTY, IL -- The st clair county sheriff's office is accused of not following the law while impounding a resident's car, and making it harder for a driver to get a car back.

Full Story
Robert

Glen Carbon, IL

#1 Dec 7, 2012
ST. CLAIR COUNTY, IL ( KMOV.com )-- The st clair county sheriff’s office is accused of not following the law while impounding a resident’s car, and making it harder for a driver to get a car back.

Michael Earl admits to not having his driver’s license when he was pulled over Tuesday night for a light out. Because of this, he was taken to jail, and his Suburban was towed.

Earl bought the Surburban and financed it at Paylater Auto Sales in Cahokia. Once it was impounded, he asked Paylater to get the vehicle for him, as the dealership was the lienholder and had the right to get the car out. Earl called the dealership the night he was arrested, because the car was his livelihood, and he didn’t want to accrue additional fees. But they claim the sheriff’s office changed the rules on them.

“That’s hard on me cause that’s how i make my living, that’s how Ii get to and from work to take care of my bills,” he said.

When a representative of Paylater arrived at the impound lot, they say the St. Clair Sheriff’s Office changed the rules.

“They said they need the court order,” said Emily Strite.“I mean it’s crazy it makes no sense especially with us being the lien holder and having the right to get the vehicle with or without the customer’s permission.”

As the lienholder, the dealership has the right to retrieve the vehicle. If getting a court order drags on for days or weeks, it will not only increase costs to get the vehicle out, it could put the vehicle in jeopardy.

“If they keep the vehicle for so long the police department or the tow yard gets to auction off the vehicle,” said Strite.“Therefore us the car dealership and the customer are out a vehicle.”

News 4 talked with an attorney with the Illinois Secretary of State’s Office who they made it clear whoever made the loan and has the lien on a car, and has the legal right to get the car out of impound for the owner.

A spokesman for the St. Clair County Sheriff’s Office said he doesnt know why the car wasnt released and couldnt reach the employees working at the time. He said he’ll bring in the state’s attorney’s office and ask them to review their procedures to make sure they’re folloiwng the law properly.

Michael Earl obtained the paperwork the Sheriff’s Office said he needed and will be able to get his Suburban Friday morning.
cahokia

Collinsville, IL

#2 Dec 11, 2012
good luck dink halter took our car and the dealership came and got the car thinking they were on our side and the car was towed because the person driving it didn't have a driver license on him either . never seen the car again.
no name please

Belleville, IL

#3 Dec 18, 2012
my daugther was stopped in cahokia a few months ago for speeding,she has insurance and a drivers license,she had a warrant from out of the area,the police were so mean to her,I went to see if she was okay and she told me that the officer pushed her,I beleive her because I was there when he had her car was towed and it cost over $700.00 to get it back and it hadn't been 24 hours yet,not all of the police are that way because I ran out of gas once and they helped me.my point is:some of the police don't want blacks out there.my family and I are hard working people,tax payers ,voters and we cause no problems why do they try to judge all blacks as being lazy trouble makers who get gov assistanc,well we don't,we earn our keep
John

Collinsville, IL

#4 Dec 18, 2012
Why do blacks ALWAYS turn their argument to the race card, saying oh all whites are racist or the police are racists, I got stopped because I'm black, and every other racist excuse out there. I'm tired of it especially since most blacks are just as bad if not worse in the racist department! How much longer can this card be played before people are held accountable for their actions instead of just being able to blame it on being suppressed!
Truthproject2013

United States

#5 Dec 20, 2012
Robert wrote:
ST. CLAIR COUNTY, IL ( KMOV.com )-- The st clair county sheriff’s office is accused of not following the law while impounding a resident’s car, and making it harder for a driver to get a car back.
Michael Earl admits to not having his driver’s license when he was pulled over Tuesday night for a light out. Because of this, he was taken to jail, and his Suburban was towed.
Earl bought the Surburban and financed it at Paylater Auto Sales in Cahokia. Once it was impounded, he asked Paylater to get the vehicle for him, as the dealership was the lienholder and had the right to get the car out. Earl called the dealership the night he was arrested, because the car was his livelihood, and he didn’t want to accrue additional fees. But they claim the sheriff’s office changed the rules on them.
“That’s hard on me cause that’s how i make my living, that’s how Ii get to and from work to take care of my bills,” he said.
When a representative of Paylater arrived at the impound lot, they say the St. Clair Sheriff’s Office changed the rules.
“They said they need the court order,” said Emily Strite.“I mean it’s crazy it makes no sense especially with us being the lien holder and having the right to get the vehicle with or without the customer’s permission.”
As the lienholder, the dealership has the right to retrieve the vehicle. If getting a court order drags on for days or weeks, it will not only increase costs to get the vehicle out, it could put the vehicle in jeopardy.
“If they keep the vehicle for so long the police department or the tow yard gets to auction off the vehicle,” said Strite.“Therefore us the car dealership and the customer are out a vehicle.”
News 4 talked with an attorney with the Illinois Secretary of State’s Office who they made it clear whoever made the loan and has the lien on a car, and has the legal right to get the car out of impound for the owner.
A spokesman for the St. Clair County Sheriff’s Office said he doesnt know why the car wasnt released and couldnt reach the employees working at the time. He said he’ll bring in the state’s attorney’s office and ask them to review their procedures to make sure they’re folloiwng the law properly.
Michael Earl obtained the paperwork the Sheriff’s Office said he needed and will be able to get his Suburban Friday morning.
I had Sauget cops try the same shit
They have contracta with the towing company Mac nSons.Corruption it seems is a infestation running wild in Illinois. Sauget. To St.clair courts /??Of course they say we don't know why it happened. They don't claim responsibllity that way.
Did you know sheriff of Cahokia is now in charge of major case squad? Meryl. Justice isn't that right??
Uncle cracker

Freeburg, IL

#6 Dec 20, 2012
Truthproject2013 wrote:
<quoted text>
I had Sauget cops try the same shit
They have contracta with the towing company Mac nSons.Corruption it seems is a infestation running wild in Illinois. Sauget. To St.clair courts /??Of course they say we don't know why it happened. They don't claim responsibllity that way.
Did you know sheriff of Cahokia is now in charge of major case squad? Meryl. Justice isn't that right??
Look here fu$(face justus died on tuesday and he was chief of Cahokia in the 60 70 80 and been sheriff of st Clair county since ! Rick watson is sheriff now so slow your roll mantard ! You gotta beef with sauget thats fine but leave Mearl Justus alone let him RIP !!!!
BooYah

Edwardsville, IL

#7 Dec 20, 2012
That's just a little slut they've busted more than once Uncle. She is posting all over Topix this week claiming to be surveilling everyone and ready to sue everyone. She's a wacked out alkie who likely has STD brain damage since she never gets tested for them. She knows all of the corrupt cops personally to hear her tell it. She will be nodding out soon or busted again and be gone soon enough. On our dime she will be living though. As always. She dips for the other girls who can really dance's tips.
BooYah

Edwardsville, IL

#8 Dec 20, 2012
She can't even spell his name right and she says she knows him so well.
BooYah

Edwardsville, IL

#9 Dec 20, 2012
Maybe she will make us safer though since it seems she has appointed a sheriff of Cahokia now In her second post from the last whine fest of hers! Is your sheriff of Cahokia appointed or elected bright one?
BooYah

Edwardsville, IL

#10 Dec 20, 2012
John, all I know is we were stopped every other block back in the 70s simply because our hair was long by the cops. We got beaten and harassed. Most younger blacks today don't know they busted white folks for even one cannabis seed on the floor of the car back then. And we had no media behind us like black folks have now. The media said screw you hippies. You all, deserve bad treatment. Whether you were a veteran who fought for them or not. Many black folks and white forget about those days. There is always somebody at the bottom of the crap heap. Just imagine if you were a woman. they never catch a break from any race of man.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#11 Dec 20, 2012
BooYah wrote:
That's just a little slut they've busted more than once Uncle. She is posting all over Topix this week claiming to be surveilling everyone and ready to sue everyone. She's a wacked out alkie who likely has STD brain damage since she never gets tested for them. She knows all of the corrupt cops personally to hear her tell it. She will be nodding out soon or busted again and be gone soon enough. On our dime she will be living though. As always. She dips for the other girls who can really dance's tips.
Your one to be talking about living off someone's dime.
BooYah

Edwardsville, IL

#12 Dec 24, 2012
Truth give you a freebie Ben? That was a rather impotent insult. Even from you. How many accounts do you have here now?

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#13 Dec 24, 2012
BooYah wrote:
Truth give you a freebie Ben? That was a rather impotent insult. Even from you. How many accounts do you have here now?
I have just this one account. can you say the same for the amount of screen names you use?
Bob Johnson

Saint Louis, MO

#14 Feb 23, 2013
St.Clair County and the Fairview Heights FBI working as the wave unit planted drugs in my car and impounded it. I had all the proof and the jury could have cared less. I feel sorry for people who live in this county.
Richard

Saint Louis, MO

#15 Feb 23, 2013
cahokia wrote:
good luck dink halter took our car and the dealership came and got the car thinking they were on our side and the car was towed because the person driving it didn't have a driver license on him either . never seen the car again.
Is your brother, Michael, an alcoholic, Trucker? Is he the normal one in the family?
ha ha

Edwardsville, IL

#16 Feb 23, 2013
Richard wrote:
<quoted text>
Is your brother, Michael, an alcoholic, Trucker? Is he the normal one in the family?
Pop's Girl, do you have any surviving children in your family or did you kill them all off to collect the insurance money to buy drugs?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cahokia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lee nichols 42 min Neighborhood Watch 6
Down goes the King! 46 min foilhit 22
Don't do business with 52 min Something 1
deadbeats 57 min Something 3
Monks Mounds & 1940's 9 hr disgusting 27
Cahokia Mayor 12 hr Joe W 22
So much 23 hr whocares 3
Cahokia Dating
Find my Match

Cahokia Jobs

Cahokia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Cahokia News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Cahokia

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]