The 60s & 70s in Cahokia
Iowa

Council Bluffs, IA

#326 Jul 29, 2010
Hi, I grew up on Kinder St. Between Falling Springs Rd and Rt 3.
My great aunt and uncle Amy Bevelot lived off of Water St.
My cousin Sandy Dietzel lived and still does off of Ruby St. She and her friend use to walk to that old store and one day her friend ran across the rd in front to go to Ruby and the girl got hit by a car. My cuz hesitated and did not get hit. Her friend lived but was nearly killed.
My husband grew up off St. James in St. Joesph his mom still lives there today.
Iowa

Council Bluffs, IA

#327 Jul 29, 2010
This is off the subject....but my father use to work with Thirfty Hardware. Him and Bert were good friends. He use to put up chain link fences all over town. My dad also use to work at the City Hall in Cahokia in the 60's, which is in the area your talking about, I believe. Remember the fire chief Phil Rachell? He was also one of the coolest bus drivers. He use to sing, "King Of The Road" all the time. LOL!
He turned out to be my husbands sister's father-in-law. Small world. He passed away some years back.
Jessica

Edwardsville, IL

#328 Jul 29, 2010
Hi everyone! I was just reading this string and remember alot too. I was from St. Joe, but knew alot of people over in St. Johns. The Cases, Finchen, Totras, Roepers, Jones, Hendricks are a few names of folks that I knew back in the day. I'm a Class of 83 grad, but went to Holy Family in grade school.

I still keep in touch/run into a few of these people...

One name did come up that I always wondered about... Bean. Kim Bean was a very good friend back in high school, but lost touch with her after school and never heard from her again. I tried to look her up a couple years ago on other websites, but no luck. Does anyone know what happened to hear or where she is? It sure would be nice to catch up.

This string has brought back quite a few memories for me as well, even though I was an "outsider" - LOL :)

Have a great day all!
oldstjoeguy

AOL

#329 Jul 29, 2010
the memories of st joe there are so many.hello jess how are ya. got the pics they were awesome
larrymac

East Saint Louis, IL

#330 Jul 29, 2010
best time in cahokia. back in the 60's and the 70.with larry little. john pluff gary ball and my self larrymac.we all work for the street dept.had a great time.i'am still here. and don't want to leave.remember when mildred area was called maplewood.that was the good times. i miss it all.but shit happens. love all you old maplewood people and cahokia people still hahahah. all so that new tavern ted's old city viwe in. well it's called she and i now. fine people own it now. there names are mark and dawn. you will have to over look my spelling. i can;t spell worth a shit hahahah.check it out they got some real nice people going in there.and marlyn hartman the bar maid.she's beautiful people. just like the people that goes in there.
OMG

Saint Louis, MO

#331 Jul 30, 2010
Bobs Baby wrote:
Where did you live in St. John's? We owned Norman's Food & Liquor (or most knew it as Norman's Confectionery). My aunt lived on St. Marcella.
LMAO memorys!
BobsBaby

New Haven, MO

#332 Aug 3, 2010
OMG wrote:
<quoted text> LMAO memorys!
Were you from St. John's? Where at?
larrymac

United States

#333 Aug 3, 2010
no i was bord on mildred. but i live on st zita.still there. and aint going no were.love this village and always will.and hope gary cornwell gets the mayors job. i'am going to work for him to get it i hope.
In The Know

United States

#335 Aug 6, 2010
Hey Mac, Don't forget about Buford Jackson, Buck Eastrige, Wilber( Hey Jack), John Hardy, Good times...
larrymac

United States

#336 Aug 11, 2010
true story. fun people back then. and there aint no more like them.
Class of 1971

Waterloo, IL

#337 Mar 15, 2011
We are planning the 40th year reunion of the graduating class of 1971. If you would like to attend or know someone who would like to attend please check out our site on Face Book. We have a lot of lost members and are looking for them.

email:

[email protected]

Shirley, AR

#338 Mar 15, 2011
I lived at 57 st henry in form 71 to 87. those were the fun times for cahokia.
City Time

Saint Louis, MO

#339 Mar 15, 2011
This is the best post I have ever read on Topix. There was a few jack buts on here trying to ruin it but you all ignored the fool. This is so touching to me I am almost in tears. I am sorry Cahokia is not the way it use to be, it is not my fault I don't live there, but I did go to school there, and I am black, I apoligize for the low lifes that is destorying it. Please keep going down memory lane I love reading this. God Bless you all, you are so wonderful. Keep ignoring the fools that want to steal the joy out of this post.
Cathy

Waterloo, IL

#340 Mar 16, 2011
st johns kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Small world, I grew up in that house. Lived there from 81 till 92.
I live in that house in 1964,for a short timethem my family moved to elm street in old cahokia by the village hall
Cathy

Waterloo, IL

#341 Mar 16, 2011
lived n StJohns wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember the Babbitts
I remember Cathy Babbitt,Karen and dean dell the walthers hollingwoth ,Brownings Bob Foster I only went to CHS my junior and senior year,graduated in 65"Those were the good ole days
no-it-all

United States

#342 Mar 16, 2011
Is there anyone out there fome City View area Carol st or Loren?
no nothing

Waterloo, IL

#343 Mar 16, 2011
Hey Cathy I lived in the house between the Hollingsworth's and the Walther's on St. Lambert from 1966-1972.
Matt

United States

#344 Mar 22, 2011
Watching the drag races on Rt#3 from the bridge. Riding your bike to the Go-Cart track in Dupo.
Dicktape

Edwardsville, IL

#345 Mar 22, 2011
The 60s and 70s here was racist and gender biased. Nothing has changed. Look at the ignorance and denial in this thread. It was trashy then. Different color of trashers is all.
Matt

United States

#346 Mar 22, 2011
Dicktape wrote:
The 60s and 70s here was racist and gender biased. Nothing has changed. Look at the ignorance and denial in this thread. It was trashy then. Different color of trashers is all.
are you for real that this is a racist post?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cahokia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cahokia Football players turn backs on national... 7 hr PIG VOMIT 7
Fat skank 7 hr PIG VOMIT 1
Whining pigs 7 hr ha ha 1
Wednesday Open Weight Challenge on Godin 12 hr Rollo 1
Monday Open Weight Challenge on Godin Tue MLR 7
Tuesday Night Fights on Godin Tue Rollo 1
Tuesday Open Weight Challenge on Godin Tue Rollo 3

Cahokia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance