Child abuse murder suspect free witho...

Child abuse murder suspect free without bond Tucson, AZ

Posted in the Cadott Forum

Brett Dillon

Tucson, AZ

#1 Sep 18, 2010
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV)- Brett Dillon, Junior died of suspected child abuse just short of his second birthday.

His mother, Melissa Bizilia is one of two people charged with murder in his death; but now she'll be allowed to be free pending trial, living with her father out of state.

KGUN9 wants to know how someone facing a murder charge can be free without bond.

When the 9-1-1 call came in on Brett Dillon Junior the claim was he fell in the bathtub and hit his head.

He died two days later.

Soon Tucson Police decided his death was no accident, but child abuse, and murder.

Melissa Bizilia and her boyfriend Ryan Sullivan have been in jail waiting for trial for more than a year.

Their bond was a half million dollars.

Now Judge Howard Fell agreed to let Bizilia out of jail until her trial starts in February.

There's no bond, just the promise to live with her father in Wisconsin.

For the baby's father, it's hurt on top of hurt.

KGUN9 reporter Craig Smith asked Brett Dillon:"When you think of her situation versus your son's situation what do you think?

Dillon said, "I feel, she should feel the same thing he's feeling right now. Her being in jail right now is basically the same situation. He's not able to live in the free world and I don't think she should either."

Bizilia's attorney says she asked for the release when prosecutors asked to push back the trial. They asked for delay because Ryan Sullivan's attorney's added new witnesses prosecutors need time to research.

Assistant Public Defender CeCelia Valentine says the delay led to so many scheduling conflicts the trial slipped from this month to February. That would lead to another six month in jail for someone innocent until proven guilty.

Valentine says of the boy's father: "I can understand that he might be frustrated and he might be angry. But this is really unfortunately out of our control and so, letting her out was actually in the best interests of justice in this case."

On bond matters, judges often rely on the advice of Pima County Pre-Trial Services. That agency's report recommends releasing Melissa Bizilia to her father's custody, but also notes prosecutors' objections because the charges are so serious and because they regard Melissa Bizilia as a flight risk.

Her attorney says while with her father in Wisconsin, Bizilia will be required to check in several times a week, but will not have anything like an ankle bracelet or home visits from authorities in Wisconsin.
Brett Dillon

Tucson, AZ

#2 Sep 18, 2010
Also forgot to write, that she is scheduled to be released from jail in Tucson, AZ on Wednesday Sept 22 at 10:00AM and coming to stay with her father "John Bizilia" in Cadott, WI until the trial in Feb, 2011!

“JUSTICE DENIED, AGAIN!!!”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#3 Sep 20, 2010
There is a petition. Please sign.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/cadott-wi/TUD...
pissed

United States

#4 Sep 24, 2010
Really! Lets see if she comes back! Then what will the judge do!

“JUSTICE DENIED, AGAIN!!!”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#5 Oct 9, 2010
Can anyone post an update on this please? TIA.
Alyeskana87

Anchorage, AK

#6 May 27, 2016
zazz wrote:
Can anyone post an update on this please? TIA.
Has there been any resolution in this case? Were one or both convicted of Baby Brett's murder? What the articles never mentioned is they had determined little Brett was at risk with his mother and Brett, Sr. had been searching for months for Melissa and his son to take custody of the boy. He didn't know she had returned to Tucson until the hospital called. By then it was too late. I have never been able to discover how this case turned out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cadott Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: K-9 Bath Plus (Aug '12) Nov '16 Terri 3
Election Who do you support for State Senate in Wisconsi... (Oct '10) Jul '15 Phil Late ist 12
Review: The Farm Kitchen (Oct '13) Oct '13 Traveler 1
Review: King Coat (Nov '12) Nov '12 Vendor 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Wisconsin ... (Oct '10) Jun '12 A T ind 31
Debate: Drinking Age - Cadott, WI (Apr '12) May '12 Proffessor 3
News Man pinned underneath bulldozer arm (Feb '12) Feb '12 Family member 1

Cadott Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cadott Mortgages