power outage
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
just me

United States

#1 Aug 1, 2012
So, Cabool is having a 2 hour power outage which started at 1 am and it wasn't in the paper. I don't know about everyone else in town but my alarm clock runs on electricity and if I were not awake right now and waiting for the power to be turned back on to reset my clock, I would be late for work at 6. How can they not let people who pay for electricity know when they are going to be shutting it off for 2 hours?
Fed Up Citizen

Chesterfield, MO

#2 Aug 2, 2012
We don't live in a perfect world, things happen that can't be helped. Your cell phone has an alarm on it, learn how to use it.
you know

Burlington, IA

#3 Aug 2, 2012
"can't be helped"? They scheduled this and didn't let anyone know. Yeah my phone has an alarm but what about people who use medical equipment without back-up power supplies? We pay for electricity and expect consistent service, which, Cabool does not provide. It would be considered common courtesy for some sort of announcement to be made when the service will be unavailable. So, if anyone has a right to be fed up, I would say it is every citizen in Cabool.
Fed Up Citizen

Chesterfield, MO

#4 Aug 2, 2012
First off if someone has a medical issue to the point they can't survive for 2hrs without power then they should own a generator.
Fed Up Citizen

Chesterfield, MO

#5 Aug 2, 2012
Second power outages happen, deal with it or join the Amish!
Fed Up Citizen

Chesterfield, MO

#6 Aug 2, 2012
Rather than complain why not try and work with the city to find a way to better inform the citizens.
you know

Burlington, IA

#7 Aug 2, 2012
Fed Up Citizen wrote:
Rather than complain why not try and work with the city to find a way to better inform the citizens.
There was no effort made to "inform" the citizens, that is my point. Do they not have a city paper they could have informed the citizens in, or KY3 or even radio. Common courtesy is all I ask for as a tax payer in Cabool. I don't think that is too much and if you think it is than I would guess that, perhaps, you work for the city.
Fed Up Citizen

Chesterfield, MO

#8 Aug 2, 2012
I assure you I don't work for the city. Since you know so much about this outage, how long has it been scheduled?
you know

Burlington, IA

#9 Aug 2, 2012
Fed Up Citizen wrote:
I assure you I don't work for the city. Since you know so much about this outage, how long has it been scheduled?
I found out about it at about 1:30am when I called the police station to inquire as to how long it would be out and was told by Gary that it was a scheduled outage. Do you understand that it is not the outage that irritates me? It is the lack of (let me say it again) common courtesy on the part of the city.
Fed Up Citizen

Chesterfield, MO

#11 Aug 2, 2012
Ok but niether of us actually know how long it had been planned. Here's what I can tell you I know about it. It was originally scheduled for 10pm.
Annoyed

Cabool, MO

#12 Aug 2, 2012
If it was originally scheduled for 10 p.m. then the city had to know about it several hours earlier at the least. I'll have to agree they didn't do their job in letting people know about it. It caused some equipment damage and some automatic systems had to be reset manually. Our cost was about $200 in toasted electronics and a few hours labor. If it had been an unexpected power failure I would not be concerned. Knowing now that it was planned is upsetting. They should have at least tried to let people know.
crystal

United States

#13 Aug 3, 2012
You people have no idea what happened. Your power comes from a sub station on Frisbee Road. One of the transfomers blew up and caught a field on FIRE! Lucky for us whom live out by this transformer someone saw what happened and got to the owner and then got to the fire in time so that the fire didnt burn down our entire neighborhood! So you can go ahead and grip cause you had know power for a couple of hours, get some batteries and put in your clock! But I would rather have no power, than my house be burned down. So please keep gripping, it could have been a lot worst for lots of others. We could have lost lives and more!
you know

Burlington, IA

#14 Aug 3, 2012
Well then, I guess Gary must have lied to me when he said it was a scheduled power outage when I called the police station. He said it was scheduled at that time because it was 78 degrees and the city didn't want to do it during the day when it was over 100 degrees. So unless I was LIED to, I do know what I am talking about.
crystal

United States

#15 Aug 3, 2012
I didn't say you were lied to or you didnt know what you were takling about. I was telling you why they had to shut the power off. But if you want to act like a kid and say ha ha see I told you so,go ahead, but I am just happy to still have my house. You can keep on gripping about a little issue that could have ended so much worse. So please keep griping! Be happy you have power and think of those whom don't and how they must feel in this heat. So yes the town tought it best to change change things when it was cooler and not tell you, sham on them. They were getting it fixed so you wouldnt lose your power again! So keep griping!
Cedar

Burlington, IA

#16 Aug 3, 2012
It "was" a "scheduled" power outage! One of the ladies that works in City Hall posted this message on her facebook early Wednesday evening.. "Hey facebook friends that live on the west end of Cabool from around Pine Street west.....the Electric Department is planning on having the power off tonight from around 1 am to 3 am to do some planned repairs. Just thought I would give you a heads up so that you can have a back up for your alarm clock!!:)" ....So yes it was planned, and NO the city didn't make any effort to notify the citizens of Cabool! The only heads-up we were given was by the office worker that cared enough to warn her friends of the outage! I think she should be the new Administrator!!!!!
Annoyed

Cabool, MO

#17 Aug 3, 2012
crystal wrote:
I didn't say you were lied to or you didnt know what you were takling about. I was telling you why they had to shut the power off. But if you want to act like a kid and say ha ha see I told you so,go ahead, but I am just happy to still have my house. You can keep on gripping about a little issue that could have ended so much worse. So please keep griping! Be happy you have power and think of those whom don't and how they must feel in this heat. So yes the town tought it best to change change things when it was cooler and not tell you, sham on them. They were getting it fixed so you wouldnt lose your power again! So keep griping!
Apparently the city knew by 5 p.m. that they were going to cut power. Otherwise the city worker probably wouldn't have known. Other than a brief facebook post no effort was made to let the public know about the outage. In the past they have done so and it saved a lot of trouble for us. I'm not criticizing the electric department. I am in agreement that the city failed to do their part to inform those affected by a planned outage.
crystal

United States

#18 Aug 3, 2012
You people are amazing! THERE WAS A FIRE THAT COULD HAVE KILLED PEOPLE! And all you want to do is grip cause the ciydidnt tell you there were going to fix the problem. There was no time to put in the paper to tell everyone. I can see it now, Sorry folks we have to cat power to you cause there was a fire and people are homeless no but give us an hour on this day and we will fix YOUR power. To hell with the other folks. It is like you dont care where you get your power from just as long as it is uninterepted. They dont expect a transformer to blow it happeneds. Why dont you grip about something important like the economy.
Annoyed

Cabool, MO

#19 Aug 3, 2012
crystal wrote:
You people are amazing! THERE WAS A FIRE THAT COULD HAVE KILLED PEOPLE! And all you want to do is grip cause the ciydidnt tell you there were going to fix the problem. There was no time to put in the paper to tell everyone. I can see it now, Sorry folks we have to cat power to you cause there was a fire and people are homeless no but give us an hour on this day and we will fix YOUR power. To hell with the other folks. It is like you dont care where you get your power from just as long as it is uninterepted. They dont expect a transformer to blow it happeneds. Why dont you grip about something important like the economy.
You're clueless and truly need a dictionary.

If the city knew in advance of the outage, they should have made an attempt to notify those affected. It's that simple. Lives would not be lost. No one is suggesting that your perilous ordeal with exploding transformers should be ignored. What exactly is your point anyway? A random accidental outage is just that. A planned outage should have included the residents affected in the planning.
hello

United States

#20 Aug 3, 2012
Actually, the city did make an effort to warn people of the planned outage. We received a phone call from a city electric dept employee that was personally trying to warn employed persons. So the bickering can end. Perhaps he wasn't able to warn everyone without knowing their phone number, but he did warn us that evening.
solution

Niangua, MO

#21 Aug 4, 2012
Since the majority of us hsve facebook--or speak to someone who does, why doesn't someone at city hall set up a facebook page and put notices of things like planned power outages, street closings, etc on there? They could designate one caring employee (Kim) to update it as necessary. All in favor say "aye".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cabool Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jon Southworth (Nov '14) 15 min Disgusted 23
amanda dillard (Jul '09) 7 hr Hilltop king 7
Jeannie Johnson (Jul '15) 21 hr Gwen 2
what do you think about johnny rogers (Apr '09) 21 hr Matt 15
Fellow 420ers!!! Mon Donk 2
This Carry the Cross Thing Mon You all are disgu... 10
pain Dr needed asap (Jan '14) Mon Pain Clinic 4

Cabool Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance