Teen fesses up to false report of sex...

Teen fesses up to false report of sexual assault at Bicentennia...

There are 26 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Sep 5, 2007, titled Teen fesses up to false report of sexual assault at Bicentennia.... In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

Byron Center- Sheriff's investigators have forced the truth out of a teen who claimed she was sexually assaulted by a stranger at a Byron Center park.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
EmmaRae

Caledonia, MI

#1 Sep 5, 2007
This just ticks me off. The girls that do this should get the maximum punishment. It just makes it so people that are really assaulted need to prove themselves and go thru tons of questioning.
whatever

Grand Haven, MI

#2 Sep 5, 2007
Hope these people aside from their legal charges are directed to proper venues for mental health counseling.
Taxpayer

Grand Rapids, MI

#3 Sep 5, 2007
I think she should be charged with false filing of a police report, and be made to pay back costs for police and other city efforts to find this "so-called" offender. I hate this sort of thing. Kids who find themselves needing to make up lies to cover their own bad behavior. I also think she needs to volunteer for a minimum of a year at a domestic violence or sexual assault facility, to see women who have TRULY been victims. This girl should be publicly humiliated.
sarah

Grand Rapids, MI

#4 Sep 5, 2007
whatever wrote:
Hope these people aside from their legal charges are directed to proper venues for mental health counseling.
very good point. it would benefit them more than legal charges.
Concerned

United States

#5 Sep 5, 2007
This has been a recurring theme this summer. Numerous girls have made false allegations. I agree, they need counseling to address why they needed to do something so public to get attention. Also, they need to deal with the legal consequences of their actions. Make her an example to discourage others from doing the same thing. This is a waste of time, money and resources and may lead to a crying wolf syndrome if this pattern continues.
Cork

Traverse City, MI

#6 Sep 5, 2007
What would even invoke anyone to want to do this? There has to be better ways of killing time now a days, than this?:(
bri

United States

#7 Sep 5, 2007
yes I agree . Something needs to be done because you hear about other girls that have made false reports then you don't hear what happened to them or the consequences they had to face . This will keep happening unless you make an example out of this one. This is just another way to get attention.
PARENTS ..........IF YOUR CHILD IS LIKE THIS (AN ATTENTION GETTER) SPEND MORE TIME WITH THEM . GIVE THEM THE ATTENTION THEY ARE LACKING. KEEP THE PUBLIC OUT OF IT THESE REPORTS JUST WORRY PEOPLE . AND THEN TO FIND OUT IT WAS FALSE THAT IS REAL UPSETTING .Here you thought the park was safe then someone falsely reports something like this .What are you really to think now days

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#8 Sep 5, 2007
The worst part of this whole situation and the one in Rockford is now people are going to start to question the person when this actually DOES happen. It's traumatic enough to have to go through a s ex ual assault, but when people don't believe you that it happened, it makes it a lot worse. Because of these attention seeking girls, or they were doing something they either regret or got caught doing, others will suffer when they file a report of an actual assault.

Since: Jul 07

Lafayette, CO

#9 Sep 5, 2007
look back at how many times this happened in the past year and some were NOT even teenagers,but grown women.

Since: Jun 07

United States

#10 Sep 5, 2007
Why would any one make something like a s ex ual assault up? the attention? I don't get it, I feel so bad for the women that this will actually happen to, because now their stories will be more likely not believed than believed. What is our society coming to?

Since: Aug 07

Greater Grand Rapids

#11 Sep 5, 2007
Taxpayer wrote:
I think she should be charged with false filing of a police report, and be made to pay back costs for police and other city efforts to find this "so-called" offender. I hate this sort of thing. Kids who find themselves needing to make up lies to cover their own bad behavior. I also think she needs to volunteer for a minimum of a year at a domestic violence or sexual assault facility, to see women who have TRULY been victims. This girl should be publicly humiliated.
I like the idea of helping in a shelter for battered women and children. but I think due to sercurity and privacy issues the gilr wouldn't be able to, when I was younger i did a ton of volunteer work and I never was able to work in a shelter. They always wanted "professional" volunteers of recovering women to mentor the new ones.

“Personal responsibility is key”

Since: Aug 07

West Michigan

#12 Sep 5, 2007
Wow...

I can only imagine what was going thru her mind when she made that final decision to tell her 'story'.

Such a shame... seems like for every step forward society takes in regards to attacks on women, we take 2 steps back when something like this happens.
Acio Verisitum

Hudsonville, MI

#13 Sep 5, 2007
Unfortunately some people...both women and men suffer the mental instability that makes them fabricate wild tales like this girl did. It's nothing new, but it does seem like it's happening a lot...or maybe it's just being reported on more right now. It is an attention-seeking thing as well as a self-confidence issue. I think this girl needs to seek help from a mental health agency but should also receive some sort of legal consequence for her actions. Community service hours at a women's shelter, or at a rape crisis center might be just the ticket to help her see that her story was no laughing matter!
John M

Rockford, MI

#14 Sep 5, 2007
Mental instability or not these accusations could actually lead to an arrest and possible conviction of an innocent man. It has happened before people. These women or girls should be given the same sentence as what the accusation they are falsely accusing would bring. I bet if they got 5-10 yrs in prison you would see this kind of thing not be so prevelent in our society. These girls must realize that when they make these allegations the police feel they need to make an arrest to make the community feel safer and alot of times if it is falsely reported there is someone falsely accused. I say 5 to 10 in Jackson would send a clear message.
Reality Check

Littleton, CO

#15 Sep 5, 2007
These fake allegations happen all the time and often the story unravels quickly upon investigation. Why the media has chosen to leap on these stories is odd. Who's ultimately in charge of airing these reports? Higher quality journalism, the asking of intelligent questions, with a touch of skepticism is sorely missing from our local and national news.
Caren

Grand Rapids, MI

#16 Sep 5, 2007
I don't know when this was posted but it rings of a similar situation in Byron Center with a teacher being accused by a 16 yr old girl. Why is it that girls telling thier lies is so prevelant in this day and age???/ I think "reality Check" hit the nail on the head
mhl

Coleman, MI

#17 Sep 6, 2007
I truly feel sorry for the men. They are always being put in a stereotype situation. Men today are scared to be alone with a child, alone in a park etc. just because of these crazy allegations. What people say can ruin a life whether it is true or not, there will always be concern about this man that was alleged to do something. It is just not fair and these girls/women need to answer for their actions.
Lucy

Grandville, MI

#18 Sep 6, 2007
Our family knows the young woman in Rockford who made up her story this past summer. No one can understand why, and now this girl has to live with what she's done. Can you imagine? Your life being over for you in your neighborhood and/or t own, for all intents and purposes, because of this? I hope and pray all of these girls get some kind of counseling or therapy. They're going to need it.
Springs

Ionia, MI

#19 Sep 6, 2007
Unbelievable. What is going on with people. The police really need to fight "REAL CRIME" and I believe these individuals who file false police reports should get the maximum punishment available.
chris

Omaha, NE

#20 Oct 16, 2007
My son was sexually assaulted on the University of Nebraska campus in Lincoln. He was coerced to say it never happened, and I have paid out over $12,000 in legal fees to clear him of a false police report charge. How do any of you know what the police did to this young woman to get her to say she was never raped. If police don't have a clue in a case, it's easier for them to make believe it never happened, then to look like they can't find the perp.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Byron Center Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kyleigh Miles threatened to blow up Michigan hi... May '16 good grief anyhow 4
News Should smoking be allowed again in Michigan bar... May '16 Sneaky Pete 33
Farmers Disposal in Dorr MI legitimate company? (Nov '11) Mar '16 Owner Farmers Dis... 47
jason lueer (Nov '07) Oct '14 the kids 9
News Great Lakes Water Levels/Ice Update and News (May '14) May '14 Sneaky Pete 2
News Fatal accident on 44th Street in Grandville (Nov '07) Mar '14 Jennifer 21
Review: East West Manual Therapy & SPA (Oct '13) Oct '13 joe schmo 1

Byron Center Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Byron Center Mortgages