New law could close consignment shops

New law could close consignment shops

There are 108 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Jan 7, 2009, titled New law could close consignment shops. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

A new federal law passed in November created to protect children from the dangers of lead could end up putting consignment shops out of business.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
concerned cosignor

Olathe, KS

#104 Jan 12, 2009
We are well known at our childrens consignment store. We are there so often that the owner knows my children by name, age, and size. For our store to be forced to closed would just be horrible! We save so much money by shopping there it's unbelieveable. Not to mention the money we make there. Some months that is our last resort for cash, we only get paid once a month and more than once we have had to rely on the money we have made at the consigment store. Something needs to be done about this, especially in this economies desperate time!!
IGNORANT LOGIC

United States

#105 Jan 12, 2009
Another law to eliminate a free economy. This is an example of yet another Orwellian law of tyranny to restrict our day to day interactions. The law is just as ridiculous as those which prohibit the selling of raw milk, and farmstand eggs. It is unbelievable what will be imposed under the guise of safety.
The Sky IS NOT Falling

Ionia, MI

#106 Jan 12, 2009
From cpsc.gov :

"Sellers of used children’s products, such as thrift stores and consignment stores, are not required to certify that those products meet the new lead limits, phthalates standard or new toy standards.

The new safety law does not require resellers to test children’s products in inventory for compliance with the lead limit before they are sold. However, resellers cannot sell children’s products that exceed the lead limit and therefore should avoid products that are likely to have lead content, unless they have testing or other information to indicate the products being sold have less than the new limit."

“THINK before you speak”

Since: Apr 08

mayberry usa

#107 Jan 13, 2009
The Sky IS NOT Falling wrote:
From cpsc.gov :
"Sellers of used children’s products, such as thrift stores and consignment stores, are not required to certify that those products meet the new lead limits, phthalates standard or new toy standards.
The new safety law does not require resellers to test children’s products in inventory for compliance with the lead limit before they are sold. However, resellers cannot sell children’s products that exceed the lead limit and therefore should avoid products that are likely to have lead content, unless they have testing or other information to indicate the products being sold have less than the new limit."
Gee, someone should tell the owners of the stores that are ready to shut their doors. It seems like before they did that they would have researched the ramifications of this law. What is the truth?

“DRILL FOR OIL?, "YES WE CAN"”

Since: Jul 08

Grand Rapids, MI

#108 Jan 14, 2009
I am opening an all lead clothes store.

I am keeping us safe from when the dems(Obama) drop the ball and don't protect us from a terrorist nuke bomb, or fallout.
jenny

Englewood, CO

#109 Jan 23, 2009
Consignment as well as "good old garage sales", people can make there own decision as to what to buy and at what risks. I'm not saying it is bad to use limits,etc. but with the economy the way it is, especially in MI. Let us decide where to buy My other question is what about all the churchs/ Goodwill/Salvation Army. What do they do?????
humble opinion

Dorr, MI

#110 Feb 18, 2009
Thanks liberals. It's the democrats that think more government is a great thing.
Time for change? Just keep drinking the koolaid and... USSA..
That's the change that's coming for all Americans and I hope you liberals choke on it.
Tim

Coopersville, MI

#111 Feb 18, 2009
What's the big deal with lead, I ate paint chips from a 137 year old home growing up, and I have no problems. As a matter of fact, when I was in seventh grade around 1969, my teacher pass around some mercury for us to play with, without gloves. Now days if a drop of mercury is in the open, they call hasmat. The goverment has it's place, and should stay within it. If they want to keep the bad boggie man out of the country, fine. I'm here to tell you that a little lead wont hurt anyone. Now on the other hand, If you ask my wife, she will tell you that lead and mercury has made me a little crazy. But, wifes are like that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Byron Center Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gov. Rick Snyder makes appointment, reappointme... (Jun '17) Jul '17 MOMBACH lucifer 2
ryder (Oct '16) Oct '16 Ryder 1
jason lueer (Nov '07) Oct '14 the kids 9
News Great Lakes Water Levels/Ice Update and News (May '14) May '14 Sneaky Pete 2
News Fatal accident on 44th Street in Grandville (Nov '07) Mar '14 Jennifer 21
Review: East West Manual Therapy & SPA (Oct '13) Oct '13 joe schmo 1
News Customers complain about local mechanic (Apr '13) May '13 Donna 4

Byron Center Jobs

Personal Finance

Byron Center Mortgages