New law could close consignment shops

New law could close consignment shops

There are 108 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Jan 7, 2009, titled New law could close consignment shops. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

A new federal law passed in November created to protect children from the dangers of lead could end up putting consignment shops out of business.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Stephanie

United States

#1 Jan 7, 2009
This law is outrageous! This will affect so many people - so many rely on second hand stores to clothe their children - they cannot afford retail prices!!
TripleH

Brookfield, WI

#2 Jan 7, 2009
What a damn shame these people in government can't come up with common sense laws better than this. I'm all for protecting children but come on! Where is the small business owner suppose to get $25 to $40 thousand bucks it costs for a device to test for lead??? I feel for these shops. So many people rely on second hand items for their kids.
Come one people! Wake up!!!
What next

Grand Rapids, MI

#3 Jan 7, 2009
Exactly, Stephanie.

I think the bigger retailers are pushing for this sort of thing after the dismal year they've had.

I saw more cars in the parking lots of second hand merchendise places than anywhere else while Christmas Shopping.
francessays

Wyoming, MI

#4 Jan 7, 2009
If we are looking to crack down on lead exposure for children, perhaps we should consider imposing a ban (temporary or permanant) on any company caught exporting lead or othewise tainted children's products to the US? If it is not an imported product, impose a huge fine on the company that produced it.

snomad

Hudsonville, MI

#5 Jan 7, 2009
Free lead testing for all resale operations? If there is profit to be made by testing... someone will have a solution... trust me. Heck, China keeps slipping leaded toys in by the container. Who is liable for that? The toymaker, exporter, importer, retail seller or parent that buys but doesn't return the poison pixi?

“THINK before you speak”

Since: Apr 08

mayberry usa

#6 Jan 7, 2009
How about letting China pay for the devices, since they are the ones sending clothing containing lead?
YIKES FOR US

Hudsonville, MI

#7 Jan 7, 2009
for anyone who's on facebook, there's a group started regarding this issue, and a link to a website with an online petition.
Don

United States

#8 Jan 7, 2009
here is a idea quit importing crap and buy domestic
TripleH

Brookfield, WI

#9 Jan 7, 2009
Does government think used items sit around by cans of lead based paint for years or get laced with other contaniments? A joke!!!
concerned citizen

Grand Rapids, MI

#10 Jan 7, 2009
This is absolutely ridiculous. Doesn't the government have anything better to do than push stupid laws down everyones mouth? Whatever happened to letting us as citizens vote before laws are passed? Stupid nanny state.
Gloria

Taylor, MI

#11 Jan 7, 2009
This law if enacted the way it was passed with leave some children with tattered clothes. I agree this is ridiculous. I do question on how the media let this one slide through without informing the public? We should all be contacting our people in Congress and in our State Government as well. Let them put pressure on as well. And I am still extremely angry with the various media venues for not being watchful and notifying the public.
BuyUSA

Syracuse, NY

#12 Jan 7, 2009
Time for all small businesses to apply for FREE BAIL OUT MONEY TO BUY FREE TESTING DEVICES! That way everyone will continue to run their business without going bankrupt!

Everyone please call your congressman everyday because trust me they will remove the law.
Just a thought

Grand Rapids, MI

#13 Jan 7, 2009
so what about the people that sell clothing and old toys at garage sales? are they gonna get smacked by the man as well?
lonewatchman

Louisville, CO

#14 Jan 7, 2009
This is what government does, they "THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!" Who knows how many lunatic laws have been passed and how many people have lost jobs thanks to stupid voters that keep electing government expansionists.
wife of a conductor

Gwinn, MI

#15 Jan 7, 2009
Very well made point!!!
Just a thought wrote:
so what about the people that sell clothing and old toys at garage sales? are they gonna get smacked by the man as well?
just me

Mount Pleasant, MI

#16 Jan 7, 2009
This is ridiculous! I'm all for safety. But, this is just insane!
Elmer

Kalamazoo, MI

#17 Jan 7, 2009
If the CPSC concentrated only on new clothes and toys coming to the U.S. from off-shore, we would be miles ahead of the current lead paint/contamination issues. Worry about the used/consigned products later, as it is a miniscule percentage of the larger problem.
Ben

Royal Oak, MI

#18 Jan 7, 2009
Where does this lead come from, and wouldn't washing the clothes get rid of it? Is lead part of the fabric, or is it something that was picked up by the previous wearers? It would be nice if woodtv8 gave us a little more info.
snomad

Hudsonville, MI

#19 Jan 7, 2009
The wealthy have no worries. Their children only know "consignment shops" as someplace their "poor friends" patronize. Well... maybe I was a bit extreme... but not totally off the hook.

BS like this simply opens more doors for litigation. Paper pushing, tax robbing and ultimately our government (babysitters chosen by us) to vote yea or nay to when we can eat and sh**.
Jill

Hudsonville, MI

#20 Jan 7, 2009
This also affects the craftspeople who make and sell quality, handcrafted toys at church bazaars and craft shows. The craftsmen I know are conscientious enough to already make sure the materials they use are lead-free. Many of these artistic folks will be unable to sell their products because of these outrageous fees. More unemployment for the U.S.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Byron Center Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kyleigh Miles threatened to blow up Michigan hi... May '16 good grief anyhow 4
News Should smoking be allowed again in Michigan bar... May '16 Sneaky Pete 33
Emily "Milly" Reed May '16 Derks Bently 1
Farmers Disposal in Dorr MI legitimate company? (Nov '11) Mar '16 Owner Farmers Dis... 47
jason lueer (Nov '07) Oct '14 the kids 9
News Great Lakes Water Levels/Ice Update and News (May '14) May '14 Sneaky Pete 2
News Fatal accident on 44th Street in Grandville (Nov '07) Mar '14 Jennifer 21

Byron Center Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Byron Center Mortgages