Mackinac Center launches privatizatio...

Mackinac Center launches privatization lawsuit against 9 Kent County school districts, union

There are 19 comments on the MLive.com story from Dec 15, 2010, titled Mackinac Center launches privatization lawsuit against 9 Kent County school districts, union. In it, MLive.com reports that:

The Mackinac Center's legal foundation today announced it is filing suit against nine Kent County school districts and other agencies, contending that recent labor contracts are illegal because they prevent privatizing of services.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MLive.com.

Sassy

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#1 Dec 15, 2010
What a waste of taxpayer dollars. The schools worked it out and saved money. Sounds like the Mackinac Center had to go looking for a couple of people to file the lawsuit.
Rowdy

United States

#2 Dec 15, 2010
Nobody likes wasteful spending but "privatization" to save money produces a negative effect on the economy. Do the republicans realize that when you privatize a middle class paying job it becomes a poverty level paying job? economies dont thrive at poverty level pay. the fact that the school bargained and saved money is ignored by the union busting republican mentality and so goes the economy.
Sassy

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#3 Dec 15, 2010
Not necessarily. However, they didn't need to privatize. All parties made concessions and were happy with end result. It worked, so why try to sue. Do these retirees, such as the old retired lady that is set, think that others don't deserve the same? The law suit is a joke and and disgraceful for the people that worked it out.
Rowdy wrote:
Nobody likes wasteful spending but "privatization" to save money produces a negative effect on the economy. Do the republicans realize that when you privatize a middle class paying job it becomes a poverty level paying job? economies dont thrive at poverty level pay. the fact that the school bargained and saved money is ignored by the union busting republican mentality and so goes the economy.
Sandy

Grand Rapids, MI

#4 Dec 16, 2010
And actually, it is being funded from the Foundation of the Mackinaw Center. If you look at them closely, I don't believe any taxpayer dollars are involved. But, nice try.
Think Again

East Lansing, MI

#5 Dec 16, 2010
The Mackinaw Center has ties to the DeVos family, they are hugely into school vouchers and anything that will help private school and harm public schools.
LIBERTARIAN

Grand Rapids, MI

#6 Dec 16, 2010
Sandy wrote:
And actually, it is being funded from the Foundation of the Mackinaw Center. If you look at them closely, I don't believe any taxpayer dollars are involved. But, nice try.
The tax dollars will come in legal fees which will have to be put up by school districts being sued to pay to fight the lawsuit.
Sassy

Grosse Pointe, MI

#7 Dec 16, 2010
Sandy fails to ever see the bigger picture.
LIBERTARIAN wrote:
<quoted text>The tax dollars will come in legal fees which will have to be put up by school districts being sued to pay to fight the lawsuit.
Sassy

Grosse Pointe, MI

#8 Dec 16, 2010
Wrong. It will cost the taxpayer since you fail to look at the bigger picture as usual. Yet you believe in this kind of spending. LMAO
Sandy wrote:
Sassy

Grosse Pointe, MI

#9 Dec 16, 2010
Very true.
Think Again wrote:
The Mackinaw Center has ties to the DeVos family, they are hugely into school vouchers and anything that will help private school and harm public schools.
Sandy

United States

#10 Dec 17, 2010
Sassy wrote:
Wrong. It will cost the taxpayer since you fail to look at the bigger picture as usual. Yet you believe in this kind of spending. LMAO
<quoted text>
And here is another fine example of you putting words into my mouth. I really LOVE it when you do that. And failing to look at the bigger picture would be your problem, not mine. You just love to hate anything Republican. Are you related to Rowdy by the way?? Brother, sister, husband perhaps??? You both sound terribly alike. In fact, one could practically quote you and then watch Rowdy post the same thing. Hmmmmmmm........

Since: Apr 08

Portage, MI

#11 Dec 17, 2010
If these idiots get their way, a good paying job disappears, in it's place a "just above minimum wage" job appears and the owners of the bus company gets all the money that used to go to the bus drivers. The district is still paying the same as they were after the sweetheart deal has expired in a year or two.

In my district the bus drivers know the town, the families, the kids. They go out of their way to help and they put in the extra, unpaid, hours to make the community a better place.
Sassy

Jackson, MI

#12 Dec 18, 2010
Wrong again. Didn't put anything near your mouth it is nasty. I don't hate everything Republican. That is your assumption. But yet you don't do that do you.

We all know Sandy, you think you are perfect in every way. You just can't help yourself.
Sandy wrote:
<quoted text>And here is another fine example of you putting words into my mouth. I really LOVE it when you do that. And failing to look at the bigger picture would be your problem, not mine. You just love to hate anything Republican. Are you related to Rowdy by the way?? Brother, sister, husband perhaps??? You both sound terribly alike. In fact, one could practically quote you and then watch Rowdy post the same thing. Hmmmmmmm........
Sandy

Hudsonville, MI

#13 Dec 18, 2010
Sassy wrote:
Wrong again. Didn't put anything near your mouth it is nasty. I don't hate everything Republican. That is your assumption. But yet you don't do that do you.
We all know Sandy, you think you are perfect in every way. You just can't help yourself.
<quoted text>
Sorry to disappoint you, yet again, but I KNOW I am not perfect...and yes you do hate anything Republican. And NO I don't hate everything Democrat, in fact, I said just today that I thought the best thing Clinton did was DADT. But, since you only despise the Republicans, you probably didn't see that comment. Too bad for you! And I have a nasty mouth????? LMBO!
Sassy

Jackson, MI

#14 Dec 20, 2010
Comprehension is so very very hard for you isn't it. I said I don't hate everthing republican. You assume and make such an arse out of yourself.
Sandy wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry to disappoint you, yet again, but I KNOW I am not perfect...and yes you do hate anything Republican. And NO I don't hate everything Democrat, in fact, I said just today that I thought the best thing Clinton did was DADT. But, since you only despise the Republicans, you probably didn't see that comment. Too bad for you! And I have a nasty mouth????? LMBO!
RFist333

United States

#15 Dec 20, 2010
Think Again wrote:
Harm? public schools?

I really hope it does, and is going to sweep the country clean up govt waste.

Friggen teacher Illinois,$89,000 a year, then gets 69,000 after age 55, and stay home.
Ottowa country clerk "keps same pay without a raise" $64,000 a year, just that ONE friggen county. his underling only makes 60,000

The raise was like 4000$ man he must be hurting.

screw you govt people, be better if everyone took the kids out of school as a walkout on those overpaid babysiters.
Sandy

Hudsonville, MI

#16 Dec 21, 2010
Sassy wrote:
Comprehension is so very very hard for you isn't it. I said I don't hate everthing republican. You assume and make such an arse out of yourself.
<quoted text>
And comprehension eludes you, but then you prove that every day. I don't assume anything about you, Sassy, you put it out there for all to see. By the way? Enjoy working on Friday.
Give it a try

East Lansing, MI

#17 Dec 21, 2010
RFist333 wrote:
<quoted text>
Harm? public schools?
I really hope it does, and is going to sweep the country clean up govt waste.
Friggen teacher Illinois,$89,000 a year, then gets 69,000 after age 55, and stay home.
Ottowa country clerk "keps same pay without a raise" $64,000 a year, just that ONE friggen county. his underling only makes 60,000
The raise was like 4000$ man he must be hurting.
screw you govt people, be better if everyone took the kids out of school as a walkout on those overpaid babysiters.
If it's such easy, gravy $$$$, why not get in on some and you just might change your mind.
BTW, your figures are all skewed to make your inaccurate statement.
RFist333

Greenville, MI

#18 Dec 21, 2010
Give it a try wrote:
<quoted text>If it's such easy, gravy $$$$, why not get in on some and you just might change your mind.
BTW, your figures are all skewed to make your inaccurate statement.
NY. teacher $110,000 they get 70% for pension, OH and each place is tax free.
No tax on pension.

If the numbers are wrong it will be to the ($1000) decimal.

No wonder we can't afford this crap, geeez.
Give it a try

East Lansing, MI

#19 Dec 21, 2010
RFist333 wrote:
<quoted text>
NY. teacher $110,000 they get 70% for pension, OH and each place is tax free.
No tax on pension.
If the numbers are wrong it will be to the ($1000) decimal.
No wonder we can't afford this crap, geeez.
I do believe that is not the actual salary, it's the whole package, that's what they do when they want to say teacher's make way too much, also the high end teachers who have taught for years and have every special endorsement you can imagine, also the cost of living in NY------jump in on the gravy train then. Beginning teacher's in GR probably don't make a base salary of $40,000------that's without the insurance and other obscure perks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Byron Center Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Farmers Disposal in Dorr MI legitimate company? (Nov '11) Aug 14 bill from moline 46
DeVere Construction Superintendent/ Supervisor ... Aug 13 GetYourMoneyBack 1
News Parent group, childcare center host diaper driv... Jul '15 Ian 4
News Boy With Autism Gets A Special Gift At Field Day Jun '15 Really 23
News Holland mall's $25M makeover will bring in 2 ne... Jun '15 gone_bad 3
News Wyoming homeowners oppose plan for more rental ... Jun '15 Chaquitta 1
las vegas cabana reservations May '15 shawndymond 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Byron Center Mortgages