First Prev
of 2
Next Last
fossil

Allardt, TN

#1 Apr 2, 2008
Wow. I was driving through Jamestown the other day and hadn't realized how much it had grown. They've shot us here in Byrdstown out of the water. I heard they were getting a new Sonic, Subway, and a large chain-hotel sometime in the near future too.

Since: Apr 08

Smalltown, USA

#2 Apr 3, 2008
Well, when your city and county administrators WANT to grow and make a better community for its VOTERS and TAXPAYERS, then you get neat stuff like that...Byrdstown and Pickett county on the other hand doesn't want to improve or bring in more jobs for it's citizens, because Pickett County is a "Resort Area"....If they would look at Mountain Home, Arkansas they would see that industry and Resort areas can and do work together...They have Lake Norfork there next to them and they also have 3 boat manufacturers (Ranger, BassCat, and the other I can't remember the name), TI Trailers and a hydraulic hose company. It all works in harmony and lets the people of the county and city live a good life....
STEAMED

Springfield, SC

#3 Apr 3, 2008
As long as we have the people in charge (county and city mayors and county commissioners) that we have at present this county will never grow. You have two types of people in this county = the "haves" and the "have nots". As long as you have a small business or hold a public office you are considered the "haves". To hell with the "have nots". As long as we have one grocery store, one drug store, one major gas station... in their opinion thats all the have nots need. These officials have no use for any growth ... might cut into their pocket books and their lifestyles. All I know is when I need a gallon of milk I'll buy it local. If I need more than that I will go to Kentucky or Cookeville. Anyone in this county that thinks the county commissioners are doing even a half-assed job to try to promote jobs or small businesses into this county are out of their mind. Look at the CC's : for most of them its just somewhere to go on Monday nights and discuss how they are going to pull something over on the taxpayers (can anyone say Wheel Tax)!That was a joke! Listen up ... we the people of this county elect these jokels we can also put them out of office. I don't know about you, but I don't think any of them are so smart that they can make up my mind for me. I know .. the next time you see a CC ask this question How much did the new library cost and where did the money come from? Heres the truth 1.6 million!(Nice skating rink isn't it)Oh, the money .. why friends of the library of course. Yeah can anyone say wheel tax and higher property tax. Don't know about anyone else but I think its time to really think about whether Byrdstown even needs county officials or law or city officials ..... Hell NOTHING IS BEING DONE ANYWAY. Well I certainly feel better now...WHEW!
FEELGOOD

Franklin, TN

#4 Apr 3, 2008
WELL PUT STEAMED I GIVE U A THUMBS UP
oneman1

Allardt, TN

#5 Apr 5, 2008
Well said STEAMED. I do agree though Jamestown has grown a lot. My wife and I usually go there to the Super-WalMart, we also stopped by the Walgreens there and they have Pickett County highschool hoodies. Downtown also looks pretty there. Humm...maybe I should just move to Jamestown, haha. Anyone else like it there?
Mud Slinger

Saluda, SC

#6 Apr 13, 2008
oneman1 wrote:
Well said STEAMED. I do agree though Jamestown has grown a lot. My wife and I usually go there to the Super-WalMart, we also stopped by the Walgreens there and they have Pickett County highschool hoodies. Downtown also looks pretty there. Humm...maybe I should just move to Jamestown, haha. Anyone else like it there?
I would think hard about that sir before I moved up here...it is just as bad if not worse, believe me I know. Go to our topix site and read for a while if you dare and then say you are still thinking about moving here!!
quiet one

Cookeville, TN

#7 Apr 13, 2008
Jamestown is a small town like byrdstown. Its the same way of life in both places. Jamestown is just on a slightly larger scale.
FEELGOOD

Byrdstown, TN

#8 Apr 15, 2008
Wow. I was driving through Jamestown
class of 97 pchs

Columbia, SC

#10 May 19, 2008
fossil wrote:
Wow. I was driving through Jamestown the other day and hadn't realized how much it had grown. They've shot us here in Byrdstown out of the water. I heard they were getting a new Sonic, Subway, and a large chain-hotel sometime in the near future too.
Don't know bout sonic, subway, and hotels here but they r opening a sports bar out on the bypass where the old ashley motor co. used to b. Jamestown has not really changed that much in the 5 years since i've been here.
one smart cookie

Saluda, SC

#11 May 20, 2008
oneman1 wrote:
dont let the county line gate hit ya where the good lord split ya
one smart cookie

Saluda, SC

#12 May 20, 2008
Beam_Me_Scotty wrote:
Well, when your city and county administrators WANT to grow and make a better community for its VOTERS and TAXPAYERS, then you get neat stuff like that...Byrdstown and Pickett county on the other hand doesn't want to improve or bring in more jobs for it's citizens, because Pickett County is a "Resort Area"....If they would look at Mountain Home, Arkansas they would see that industry and Resort areas can and do work together...They have Lake Norfork there next to them and they also have 3 boat manufacturers (Ranger, BassCat, and the other I can't remember the name), TI Trailers and a hydraulic hose company. It all works in harmony and lets the people of the county and city live a good life....
if you dont like small towns move to arkansas i like it here just the way it is, small towns have advantages too. just move if it dont suit you, do try to change the way i live here, how dare you.
curious

Byrdstown, TN

#13 May 20, 2008
one smart cookie wrote:
<quoted text>if you dont like small towns move to arkansas i like it here just the way it is, small towns have advantages too. just move if it dont suit you, do try to change the way i live here, how dare you.
Sounds like this came from one of our c/c's
big foot

Monroe, TN

#14 May 20, 2008
sure does
wtf

Springfield, SC

#15 May 20, 2008
(do) try to change the way i live here, how dare you. What does this mean? Did you mean do or do not? How dare you - to change your name it just really doesn't suit you.
annie maye

Jonesville, SC

#16 May 20, 2008
It is not the county officals fault that we have nothing in this town. It is the voters fault. How many of us go to any meetings and voice our opinion, how many of us put the pressure on them, they are more of us than them. We all say it dosen't do any good, but have we really, really, tried. I admit that I haven't. Until we all come togather nothing can happen. If everyone on here that had a complaint would step forward and go to these meetings everyone they just might see that come next election the voters want a change and will get a change. All our elected officals are doing is laughing all the way to the bank, they are not bothered what is put on here, because if this is all were gonna do is put it on here instead of confronting it in person, then it is funny and we get what we deserve. Nothing Done. and this includes me to.

Since: Apr 08

Smalltown, USA

#17 May 20, 2008
one smart cookie wrote:
<quoted text>if you dont like small towns move to arkansas i like it here just the way it is, small towns have advantages too. just move if it dont suit you, do try to change the way i live here, how dare you.
I grew up in a town smaller than Byrdstown (pop. just over 300), graduated with 18 other kids from the school there, worked on a dairy farm milking cows and attended one of the local churches till I moved from there in the early 80's...I've lived in Mountain Home, AR, worked there, played there in the lake and had a good living there..My present job has me living here for the moment, but it will change, my daughter is grown and my wife and I have no other ties to this area, and when a job opens within my company that will take me out of here, I won't let the door hit me in the ass when I leave..I've lived in several small towns, in small counties, but those small counties WORKED for their RESIDENTS, improved their communities, and still maintained their small town attributes and attitudes. Having Industry in your county doesn't change your county..peoples mindset does...

HOW DARE I CHANGE YOUR SMALL TOWN??? I don't dare too..live any way you wish, stay small it won't hurt you, but I read other people's post on this forum, and I talk to people out in town and I hear the same stuff...Byrdstown, no jobs, nothing to do, to many druggies and corrupt lackluster county officials....
lonesome dove

Springfield, SC

#18 May 20, 2008
Scotty you have hit the nail on the head! You have just summed up the absolute truth about Byrdstown. This town maybe 4 years ago was on a downhill slide - well it has about hit the bottom. Good honest, hardworking, sober people are very few here. I am honestly thinking that I no longer want to raise my children and grandchildren here. Corruption and druggies are in all towns, I know this, but they now outweigh the good in this town. I do wish there was a "quick fix" for this small town, but I don't see it. Somehow I feel I should apologize (I was born here and have lived here all my life) for our dirty little town, anyway good luck with your life.
Dont understand why

Broken Arrow, OK

#19 May 6, 2009
Byrdstown is prettier and closer to the lake.
well

Cookeville, TN

#20 May 15, 2009
I agree with all the bad talk about b-town. Look at Steven Bilbrey. He has to have his pic in the paper every week. That doesn't bother me, because one of these days it is going to be his mugshot. May i say ENBESELMENT(spelling). How about his driveway that got fixed with our(taxpayers)money. If your not an Elder,King, or Bilbrey you are a have not. People that work all their lives and have nothing but they can stand by while everyone else makes money for them and have everything. If he cant make a killing in that office he will in the store. That man is set for life. When he comes out of that office he wont want for nothing so instead of going to peoples bank for a loan go to Steven Bilbrey.
no name

Cookeville, TN

#21 May 15, 2009
Mr. Bilbrey is a good person. He is a very dedicated to the community as well as his family. Shame on you, WELL.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Byrdstown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Marty Apr 23 Thundering eyes 9
Trashing and running people down (If you read n... Apr 21 Dickie 4
old people on the county Apr 21 Got you 11
Recommendations on any daycares Apr 20 Wondering 1
Shearer Drug Apr 17 Wondering 3
Nichole Boles (Oct '09) Apr 15 Hellbent 6
Question Apr 14 matt 10

Byrdstown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance