Fight the drugs, take back Butler act...
Time for change

Coraopolis, PA

#167 Sep 30, 2010
Why not ask wrote:
<quoted text>
All right then, you are head of the drug task force, I want to know what your approach to the problem would be?
You contact the US Attorneys office in Pittsburgh if you want something done. Locals deny there is a serious issue. Cleaning it up is not a money maker. Then how would they justify the new prison? All the county employees and judges relatives would be out of work.

Here is something being done in Pittsburgh

http://www.justice.gov/usao/paw/drug_demand.h...

Sanctions-Based Drug Demand Reduction Program

The United States Attorney's Office, in conjunction with the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Pittsburgh Police, have initiated a drug demand reduction program aimed at ridding neighborhoods of houses and other buildings used for the distribution and/or consumption of illegal drugs. These "drug houses," which are typically well known in the neighborhood, are often owned by absentee landlords and leased to tenants for very low rent. Initially, the program focused on a working class neighborhood known as Lawrenceville, where 16 drug houses have been identified. The program is presently expanding to other city neighborhoods including the Hill District, Garfield, and North Side.

The program uses a series of escalating steps. First, the property owners are sent letters notifying the owners that their properties are being used for illegal drug activity and inviting them to a meeting at the United States Attorney's Office. At the meeting, the property owners are informed of their remedies, such as enforcement of lease clauses that prohibit drug activity. If these steps are unsuccessful, the United States Attorney's Office will seek more severe sanctions, such as civil forfeiture of the properties, and even criminal prosecution of the owners in appropriate cases for managing or controlling any place for the purpose of illegal drug activity.

Since the program was announced in April 2004, more than 120 landlords, owners, tenants and mortgagers have been informed of the criminal activity occurring at their properties, and many of the properties are being rehabilitated. One individual has been successfully prosecuted for knowingly maintaining his residence for the use and distribution of controlled substances. The defendant was sentenced to 30 months in prison. The property was sold to a neighborhood improvement organization, which built a new single-family home in its place.
Get Real

Butler, PA

#168 Sep 30, 2010
Ok-These "drug houses" in Pittsburgh and the "drug houses" in Butler are far from the same thing. There is a drug problem in Butler, but comparing it to Pittsburgh? That's like comparing Pittsburgh to California. Or the west coast, etc. This is really really getting blown out of proportion. I guess Butler must be the only town of this size anywhere where there are druggies.
Time for Change

Coraopolis, PA

#169 Sep 30, 2010
Get Real wrote:
Ok-These "drug houses" in Pittsburgh and the "drug houses" in Butler are far from the same thing. There is a drug problem in Butler, but comparing it to Pittsburgh? That's like comparing Pittsburgh to California. Or the west coast, etc. This is really really getting blown out of proportion. I guess Butler must be the only town of this size anywhere where there are druggies.
Not what I am saying at all. What I am saying is per capita the program could have much more of a profound impact on a smaller place such as Butler.

Perry O'malley could get off his @ss and sanction landlords by removing their hud status as well.

Instead of the city leaders panhandling for grants and things for their friends, why don't they try to get grants and services for the entire city, not just their personal interests.
Time for Change

Coraopolis, PA

#170 Sep 30, 2010
That big apartment blg across from Broad St. is a big source of the West End drug problems. Are there cameras on the blg yet?
Why not ask

Butler, PA

#171 Sep 30, 2010
Time for change wrote:
<quoted text>
You contact the US Attorneys office in Pittsburgh if you want something done. Locals deny there is a serious issue. Cleaning it up is not a money maker. Then how would they justify the new prison? All the county employees and judges relatives would be out of work.
Here is something being done in Pittsburgh
http://www.justice.gov/usao/paw/drug_demand.h...
Sanctions-Based Drug Demand Reduction Program
The United States Attorney's Office, in conjunction with the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Pittsburgh Police, have initiated a drug demand reduction program aimed at ridding neighborhoods of houses and other buildings used for the distribution and/or consumption of illegal drugs. These "drug houses," which are typically well known in the neighborhood, are often owned by absentee landlords and leased to tenants for very low rent. Initially, the program focused on a working class neighborhood known as Lawrenceville, where 16 drug houses have been identified. The program is presently expanding to other city neighborhoods including the Hill District, Garfield, and North Side.
The program uses a series of escalating steps. First, the property owners are sent letters notifying the owners that their properties are being used for illegal drug activity and inviting them to a meeting at the United States Attorney's Office. At the meeting, the property owners are informed of their remedies, such as enforcement of lease clauses that prohibit drug activity. If these steps are unsuccessful, the United States Attorney's Office will seek more severe sanctions, such as civil forfeiture of the properties, and even criminal prosecution of the owners in appropriate cases for managing or controlling any place for the purpose of illegal drug activity.
Since the program was announced in April 2004, more than 120 landlords, owners, tenants and mortgagers have been informed of the criminal activity occurring at their properties, and many of the properties are being rehabilitated. One individual has been successfully prosecuted for knowingly maintaining his residence for the use and distribution of controlled substances. The defendant was sentenced to 30 months in prison. The property was sold to a neighborhood improvement organization, which built a new single-family home in its place.
I understand where you are going here with the leadership of the city etc, but where I was going with that was in a different direction. A lot of the people in Butler like to complain about problems but very few offer solutions and even less get involved. What is the benefit of complaining of you don't have a remedy? As for the governmental issues, our leaders are elected by the people, therefore, the people get the government they deserve. For all the complaining that goes on about how bad Butler is, I don't hear Mayor Stock or even the beloved Councilman Bratkovich offering any solutions to reduce crime. In fact, ACT 47 Joe wants to cut public safety.
citychick

Columbus, OH

#172 Sep 30, 2010
if I were the task force leader I would prob start by paying attention to the past 8 months of calls, and complaints hes received about the broad street area, and maybe get off his ass and do something about it, do it right, make it happen instead of finding excuses for why it is not being stopped.
Why not ask

Butler, PA

#173 Oct 1, 2010
citychick wrote:
if I were the task force leader I would prob start by paying attention to the past 8 months of calls, and complaints hes received about the broad street area, and maybe get off his ass and do something about it, do it right, make it happen instead of finding excuses for why it is not being stopped.
Ok, you think they should do something...how should they do it? You specifically stated that their use of snitches is unacceptable, so what alternative methods should they use?
citychick

Columbus, OH

#174 Oct 1, 2010
maybe use the technology and surviellance equip they all ready have, or reliable informants.
Get Real

Butler, PA

#175 Oct 1, 2010
What kind of surveillance equipment do they have? I'm sure that you have no clue. Reliable informants? Would an informant about drug activity be someone that has been in the game? Stop using junkies as informants. Make up your mind! Umm, can you say double-talk?
citychick

Columbus, OH

#176 Oct 1, 2010
umm can you say undercover reliable informant, there are such people, throw a baseball cap and a pair of jordans on them and their good to go, and yes I have more clue than you know, as for technology available its plentiful stop looking for excuses for their stupidity & lacksadasical attitudes, they know whats up.....
LIVINhere

Butler, PA

#177 Oct 3, 2010
citychick wrote:
umm can you say undercover reliable informant, there are such people, throw a baseball cap and a pair of jordans on them and their good to go, and yes I have more clue than you know, as for technology available its plentiful stop looking for excuses for their stupidity & lacksadasical attitudes, they know whats up.....
why do you care? your from OH.
Concerned Citizen

Butler, PA

#178 Oct 3, 2010
Yes I have done my part to try to help the Problem in and around Broad Street, I have called the Drug Task Force office and Tip Hot Line, I have visited the City PD and personally handed them drug baggies recovered from the street after deals, I have offered video tap and pictures, license plate numbers, descriptions of individuals active in the area. I can do no more. If I were to call the cops the deal would be done and gone before the police ever get here. I would be in jail faster then the dealers if I pulled a gun and detained the client and dealer until police arrived. What more can I do?
citychick

Columbus, OH

#179 Oct 3, 2010
theres got to be a reason they keep allowing it to happen, either they really just dont care, the task force is afraid, or they are just waiting for election time to get some free press, just becareful where you step on Broad street area, I know many complaints have been made by many people of this very problem yet tomarrow and the next day and the next day it will still be happening..........
homette

Columbus, OH

#180 Oct 4, 2010
the problem in butler city is worse than it ever was... should change the name to junkyville
Homey

Bronx, NY

#181 Oct 4, 2010
Man charged
in separate case
By Jim Smith
Eagle Staff Writer
A Butler couple faces
felony drug charges after a
narcotics raid Friday
turned up suspected crack
cocaine, marijuana and
psychedelic mushrooms at
their home.
Members of the Butler
County Drug Task Force
arrested Tywann R. Windham,
26, and Kari Lee Summerville,
30, at their Virginia
Avenue home.
The arrests followed a
six-month investigation into
alleged crack cocaine trafficking
at the house,
authorities said.
The investigation, said
Pat Cannon, chief county
detective, included several
controlled drug buys there.
Cannon described the
suspects, who are
boyfriend-girlfriend, as
“mid-level dealers.”
Windham and Summerville
were at the house
when officers arrived with
a search warrant shortly
after 10 a.m.
Police said they found 11
grams of crack, an ounce of
marijuana and two baggies
of psilocybin mushrooms.
Additionally, the search
turned up two stolen handguns,
drug packaging materials
and several hundred
dollars, investigators said.
Cannon noted the house
also was equipped with a
video surveillance system
that “allowed the residents
to monitor the outside of
the residence.”
Windham and Summerville
are charged with
possession with intent to
deliver crack cocaine, conspiracy,
and possession of
drug paraphernalia.
Additionally, Windham is
charged with receiving
stolen property in connection
with the stolen handguns
and convicted felons
not to possess firearms.
Summerville also is
charged with possession of
psychedelic mushrooms
and marijuana.
District Judge Pete Shaffer
arraigned the defendants,
who were placed in
the Butler County Prison
following arraignment.
Windham remains jailed
on $50,000 bail. Summerville
was released later
Friday after posting $50,000
bail.
County detectives, meanwhile,
on Friday also
charged suspected drug
dealer Nathan S. Zmijowski,
30, in connection with a
separate case.
Those charges followed a
Sept. 23 search of his Morton
Avenue apartment by
Butler County probation
officers.
The search, investigators
said, turned up 10 grams of
crack cocaine, 40 tablets of
the anti-anxiety prescription
drug Klonopin, one
full stamp bag and 104
empty bags of heroin and a
baggie with marijuana.
Officers also found a
small scale, two syringes
and a marijuana pipe.
Detectives charged Zmijowski
with possession with
intent to deliver crack, possession
of Klonopin, heroin
and marijuana, and possession
of drug paraphernalia.
The suspect, who has
been in the county prison
since Sept. 23 for violating
his probation, was to be
arraigned today on the
drug charges.
Pair arrested
after drug raid
in city home
LIVINhere

Butler, PA

#182 Oct 4, 2010
This town is ruined. It's not gonna get any better, only worse. It's pretty sad when you can get robbed in the middle of the day in a populated parking lot.
Why not ask

Butler, PA

#183 Oct 4, 2010
citychick wrote:
theres got to be a reason they keep allowing it to happen, either they really just dont care, the task force is afraid, or they are just waiting for election time to get some free press, just becareful where you step on Broad street area, I know many complaints have been made by many people of this very problem yet tomarrow and the next day and the next day it will still be happening..........
Citychick- there are a lot of reasons why this type of activity can go on despite law enforcement efforts. Usually when law enforcement is unsuccessful in stamping out drugs/crime people blame it on the cops being afraid, not caring, or corruption. The simple fact is, in Butler County and in Butler City our leaders have not made fighting crime a priority. The city would rather have workers to mow the grass at Memorial Park than firefighters and police officers to ensure public safety. The city would rather pave streets than adequately equip their public safety workers. Despite all the complaints that our city government must receive about crime, Mayor Stock, Councilman Bratkovich, Councilman Reese, Councilwoman Kline, and Councilman Schontz have not made sure that our public safety departments have the resources they need to adequately fight this battle, nor have they proposed initiatives which would fight drugs/crime. Many of our council members want to cut public safety, leaving the other 50% of the cities untouched, even though ensuring public safety is the cities primary constitutional duty.

At the county level you have a DA's office, county commissioner's, and judges that are more interested in trying to rehabilitate criminals than in locking them up. When you look at the police reports isn't it always the same names? Does anyone really think these people can be rehabilitated? Statistics indicate that only a small percentage of these individuals can be rehabilitated- somewhere around 10%. Why does the county insist on dumping millions of dollars into trying to rehabilitate people who can't be rehabilitated? Homey posted a link about a drug raid on Virginia Ave, why don't you look at the public records site and see how many times those two have been arrested, and how many times those two got off with a slap on the hands from our judges? I would guess its probably been more than once. Citychick, you complain about all the drug activity going on in the Broad St area- it would not surprise me one bit if the dealers doing the dealing have already been arrested by our drug task force, or at least the very least another police department, and received a slap on the hand from our DA's office and judges.

What's the solution? New leadership...citychick if you are so concerned about the drug problem why don't you run for city or county government and ensure that our local public safety workers have the resources they need to do the job, and that our DA's office and judges stiffen their spines? 1002
Time for Change

Coraopolis, PA

#185 Oct 4, 2010
The reason you see the same names is,THEY ARE MONEY MAKERS. Give an example of how judges or commissioners would rather rehab criminals? That is why they built the jail. Much more lucrative than rehab or eliminating the problem.

Summervilles have been taken out by the AG as well. That is a well known name in the drug realm of Butler. They keep getting out because to keep them in costs money. If you keep them out it my put the public at risk but the payouts of their crimes seem to be worth the risks.

Joe B. suprised you won't chime in seeing you should have alot of experience in this area.
Why not ask

Butler, PA

#187 Oct 4, 2010
Time for Change wrote:
The reason you see the same names is,THEY ARE MONEY MAKERS. Give an example of how judges or commissioners would rather rehab criminals? That is why they built the jail. Much more lucrative than rehab or eliminating the problem.
Summervilles have been taken out by the AG as well. That is a well known name in the drug realm of Butler. They keep getting out because to keep them in costs money. If you keep them out it my put the public at risk but the payouts of their crimes seem to be worth the risks.
Joe B. suprised you won't chime in seeing you should have alot of experience in this area.
TFC, each and every year the county pours millions of dollars into their juvenile and adult probation programs. The ostensible aim of these programs is to take those convicted from of crimes and rehabilitate them, through the supervision of a probation officer. They are drug tested, have to meet with a probation officer, offered social services, and opportunities are made available to them, such as workshops teaching them how to make a resume etc. The county utilizes Center for Community Resources to offer a lot of the social services for the county in the area of MH/MR which a lot of drug addicts and criminals partake of ( http://www.ccrinfo.org/Services.htm ). The county also pours money into a drug and alcohol program which is detailed on their website. All of this costs millions of dollars and it definitely does not appear to be working. They would be better served spending money by actually USING the new jail instead of leaving it at half filled capacity. Also, you state that these programs are money makers- the truth is, its costs more money to maintain most of these programs than the county brings in through fines and fees, assuming that everyone actually pays their fines and fees anyway. A lot of the people who are convicted of crimes and use social services in Butler don't pay their fines, but the county chooses not to throw them in jail.
Time for Change

Coraopolis, PA

#188 Oct 4, 2010
Why not ask wrote:
<quoted text>
TFC, each and every year the county pours millions of dollars into their juvenile and adult probation programs. The ostensible aim of these programs is to take those convicted from of crimes and rehabilitate them, through the supervision of a probation officer. They are drug tested, have to meet with a probation officer, offered social services, and opportunities are made available to them, such as workshops teaching them how to make a resume etc. The county utilizes Center for Community Resources to offer a lot of the social services for the county in the area of MH/MR which a lot of drug addicts and criminals partake of ( http://www.ccrinfo.org/Services.htm ). The county also pours money into a drug and alcohol program which is detailed on their website. All of this costs millions of dollars and it definitely does not appear to be working. They would be better served spending money by actually USING the new jail instead of leaving it at half filled capacity. Also, you state that these programs are money makers- the truth is, its costs more money to maintain most of these programs than the county brings in through fines and fees, assuming that everyone actually pays their fines and fees anyway. A lot of the people who are convicted of crimes and use social services in Butler don't pay their fines, but the county chooses not to throw them in jail.
Much of the money poured into these programs come from grants not local funds. If you look at the City/county budget minimal is alocated toward the drug problems. I have seen better myspace pages than the link provided above. The mental health system seems to be what that link focuses on. In Butler that is a joke. I am not trying to knock what you are saying but there is a whole picture here. Going and hanging out at the end of elm street is not rehabilitative.

Again Ask Joe B.,which by the way, his son has an interesting rap sheet. You wanna talk about a slap on the wrist? He Plead a DUI and drug dist down to possesion and drug paraph. That town has never been serioius about the drug problems. Its all in who you know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Butler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rebecca Hulings Charged Sep 17 Karmawillgetya 1
Missy Barto-case suspect released from jail Sep 16 Judy B 1
Zerro help offered from United Way of Butler Co... Aug 29 CCB 4
Butler County's stupidest criminal sentenced Bu... Aug '17 ButlerNews 1
Is Boscovs considered "dead" yet? Butlercitizen... Aug '17 ButlerNews 1
Joelle Lees, 34 overdoses in front of children,... Aug '17 ButlerNews 1
Swingers in Butler? Aug '17 Uncle Joe 2

Butler Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Butler Mortgages