Taped conversation can be used in Ras...

Taped conversation can be used in Rasely trial, judge rules

There are 2516 comments on the Butler Eagle story from May 11, 2007, titled Taped conversation can be used in Rasely trial, judge rules. In it, Butler Eagle reports that:

Prosecutors may use a tape of a telephone conversation between a Butler Township music instructor and the young male student he is accused of molesting if the case goes to a trial.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Butler Eagle.

Time for Change

Richmond, IN

#816 Nov 14, 2007
Did it ever occur wrote:
The Eagle is simply a less than mediocre newspaper. No particular plot. They did not report all the news surrounding the DR case. However, they did produce two editorials that were definitely not pro DR. Someone posted one a couple of days ago. That was NOT a letter to the editor. It was an editorial. Vernon Wise is no friend of DR.
I posted those articles. I never bashed everyone at the eagle just Paskorz. She is a tabloit writer gone too far. I even left good comments about the editorial as soom as it came out. You would have to know kim like I do to understand she is all but on the prosecutors payroll. She does not print what happens. She prints what she is told.
Time for Change

Richmond, IN

#817 Nov 14, 2007
Vernon wise should get WISE to his employees, the sloppy journalism could get his company sued.
Time for Change

Richmond, IN

#818 Nov 14, 2007
Here is kims quotes from her article when rasely plead guilty.

Donald Rasely, a prominent member of Butler County's arts community, pleaded guilty to indecent assault, corruption of minors and two counts of furnishing liquor to minors.
Shortly after Rasely, 57, entered his plea, Butler County Judge William Shaffer hiked the defendant's bond from $10,000 to $500,000.
Unable to immediately post the bond, Rasely was imprisoned.

OOOOOOOHHHHH What a mean judge. He sure seems hard on criminals KIM.

Now Here is what really happened.

Karen Kane Post gazette.

The sentence, which is to be issued July 31 by Butler County Common Pleas Judge William Shaffer, will be 90 to 180 days for indecent assault and probation for the other charges.

Ms. Clark said Mr. Rasely asked that his bond be revoked so he could begin his jail term immediately yesterday.

Sure I would take the deal. Get it over with.
Time for Change

Butler, PA

#819 Nov 15, 2007
Freedom, Where did you go? Lost for words? Or can't think of anything else to excuse the pitiful journalism of Kim Paskorz?
Time for Change

Butler, PA

#820 Nov 15, 2007
Well, I guess they they don't want to exercise their freedom of speech anymore. Sorry I took the fun out of it.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#821 Nov 16, 2007
I really don't see where Kim Paskorz is a bad reporter. I feel that her coverage was fair, balanced and pretty much journalism 101--textbook. If she hangs around the courthouse and talks to people...that's her beat...that's her job. I don't think her style is tabloid at all. I was in the courtroom for every minute of what she recorded and really can't find fault with what she reported or how she reported it.

The thing that I DO object to and have been objecting to...is that CLEARLY there is a connection between what Rasely did and how he was protected, permitted and enabled to operate in this town FOR YEARS--by prominent members of the communtity and his church--some members of both who to this minute would usher him right back into the catbird seat and let it all start again. This calls for investigative reporting which the Butler Eagle never does. They report the news. They don't dig for the further reality and the truth in stories like this one. I don't think this is Kim Paskorz's fault. I think this is an EDITORIAL DECISION. And what a poor decision that is, in fact. This story leads from one corrupt cesspool to the next--and quite frankly, i wouldn't have a problem with the Eagle unleashing Miss Paskorz on the investigative detail--but the Eagle always has been and still is...a hometown newspaper, dedicated to keeping it that way. Their editorial policy is reflective of a small town newspaper which is a training ground for reporters to teach them reporting skills while getting out the hard news (*sarcasm*) on the Butler brides, the school sports and news and who is doing what in college--with a splash of "look how long we've been married", "look who keeled over yesterday", quirky residents of Butler County and their escapades and what is the price of ham loaf at Brose's this week...? Every now and then they extend themselves and write an "in-depth" "investigative report" on a murder (like the double murder suicide a few years back) and the infamous Tammi Felbaum 5 part serialized "report". Then comes the torrent of "I was offended" letters to the editor. Let's face it, Butler doesn't want to face it. The Eagle is a business and part of the business apparently is to prop up the facade of this community with all the GOOD news fit to print. This furthers the illusion that there is no drug problem, no rampant poverty, drugs in the schools, the city being a mess, the infrastructure falling to hell, the mayor supporting a pedophile, the churches giving him access to their basements etc.etc.etc. Butler wants to think of itself in a certain way--an unchanging, sweet little church going community untouched by the reality...of...well...REALITY. The Butler Eagle obliges.
Downtown Worker in Butler

Butler, PA

#822 Nov 16, 2007
Main St. Progress slow? Butler Downtown Revitalization Committee?
PLEASE HELP!
I work on Main Street Butler Pennsylvania and read an article appearing in the Butler Eagle, Thursday, November 15, 2007 Titled “Main St. Progress Slow” by Ed Biller, Eagle Staff Writer.
I know the committee has been working for four plus years and I am wondering what the hold up is?
The article states $160,000 allocated to the city but monies cannot be released until two surveys are completed.
The first survey is seeking input from business and property owners. I work on Main Street and have never seen a survey. Who developed the survey? What are the questions being addressed? How was it distributed and to who? What does Mayor Maggie Stock mean when quoted as saying,“It’s the responsibility to make the city of Butler as good as it can be” and “ It’s not something ‘they’ do. We do it. DO WHAT?
Who are the people who run this committee what do their titles mean and how can they be contacted? I hear through the grapevine they have already been accepted so does this mean there was a survey and now they need another? Was the survey distributed to all downtown business and property owners or just a select few? Can the public taxpayers see these reports and if so where are they located?
If you know any of the above answers or have links to sites on the Internet addressing BUTLER DOWNTOWN REVITALIZATION COMMITTEE
Under Topix Forum title:
Main St. Progress slow? Butler Downtown Revitalization Committee?
Thanks for your time
Time for Change

Butler, PA

#823 Nov 16, 2007
Penelope wrote:
I really don't see where Kim Paskorz is a bad reporter. I feel that her coverage was fair, balanced and pretty much journalism 101--textbook. If she hangs around the courthouse and talks to people...that's her beat...that's her job.
As always you bring invaluable insight into a situation. I am basing my opinion from what I have experienced first hand from Kim.

Kim was reporting false statements that she gathered from the Da's office. She knew that she was prejudicing a community against someone the DA's office was prosecuting with vexation. I had to sit in the trial and watch her with a smirk on her face the entire time. I gave kim multiple chances to hear the other side and even warned her of what she was doing by reporting misleading information. The fact that she was going over evidence in the court room in the morning before the jury even saw it was horrible. That is also illegal. They were viewing photo's of a crime scene as if they were watching a commedy. The police, the DA and others were in the court room presenting this. Kim would have gotten more accurate info if she would have just sat through the trial and got her info from the court proceeding.

Also Kim even went as far as to produce a false story the day jury selection was to have started. Also KIM made the facts so heinous that others would not come forward to testify because the way kim presented the facts. She knew what she was doing.

The whole point of all this, it is an injustice when the eagle has an inappropriate relationship with the courts and reports based on what they tell her to. We presented our side to her in person multiple times and not a single word of our side was ever written. I even made calls to her office she would never return.

Our side would make sense and uncover some wrong doing by the prosecution and that is why she just happened to leave it out.

The same thing happened to the boy. The only difference was he was not a defendant in this case. If the truth was reported here Rasely's leiniency would not have survived the community and Kim Paskorz knows it. If she would then the DA would not give her juicy stuff to print anymore.

I believe people should have a choice weather to but the national enquirer and paticipate in the kind of journalism that they write. Not have it forced down their throats by a local newspaper that helps public officials carry out their own agendas.
Freedom

United States

#824 Nov 16, 2007
Time for Change wrote:
Freedom, Where did you go? Lost for words? Or can't think of anything else to excuse the pitiful journalism of Kim Paskorz?
I am not excusing anything. And I don't have the time to obsess over this like you do.
Time for Change

Butler, PA

#825 Nov 16, 2007
Freedom wrote:
<quoted text>I am not excusing anything. And I don't have the time to obsess over this like you do.
If it ever happens to you I hope you do. As you can see I travel quite a bit for work and still have to get on with life but I will always make time to obsess over something I have a passion for. I know what kim did and I will expose her for her roll.
get a life

AOL

#826 Nov 16, 2007
really
Time for Change

Butler, PA

#827 Nov 16, 2007
get a life wrote:
really
Oh yeah!

Location hidden

#828 Nov 17, 2007
My only experience with Kim Paskorz and the Eagle is that of bystander citiizen in the Rasely proceedings. For this I am thankful. You, TFC, seem to have more.

I also understand that "justice" in this world, is hard to come by--and would even go so far as to say, whoever has the money, the power and the influence rules the day. Every now and then, there is a win for the little guy. All in all, though, with all it;s faults, I would take our system of jurisprudence over just about any other one in the free world.

At any rate, thank you for the insights!

Pen
Freedom

Green, OH

#829 Nov 17, 2007
Time for Change wrote:
<quoted text>
If it ever happens to you I hope you do. As you can see I travel quite a bit for work and still have to get on with life but I will always make time to obsess over something I have a passion for. I know what kim did and I will expose her for her roll.
You are free to do as you choose. Best of luck.

Alexandria, VA

#830 Nov 19, 2007
I just returned from a friend's funeral. On Columbus Day she was gived 6 weeks to live. She barely made it. I only share this to point out that we all could have received worse than was handed down at the DR fiasco.
You have held the DA to the fire. You will do the same with the judge and Mayor when their turn comes.
Meanwhile partner with a teen or a parent under stress and help them figure out a way to cope. Ask every county commissioner you see why the drugs are not leaving the county. Become visable at EVERY public meeting concerning how and where the tax monies - and the state and federal grants are being spent ON YOUR BEHALF.In other words - take ownership for your lives - and the lives of the people who live with you. You all have had a great idea for boosting the economy of Butler that does not involve the steel industry returning [That one ain't EVER HAPPENING!] So- throughout the holidays, between the football games and light hanging, talk amongst yourselves....and make Butler What You Want It TO BE.
Good Holidays....Safe Travel.....
Doug

AOL

#831 Nov 21, 2007
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EVERYONE!!!!!!

Doug
Disgusted

Holly Springs, NC

#832 Nov 21, 2007
Doug wrote:
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EVERYONE!!!!!!
Doug
Doug,

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones

God Bless
Silent no More

Butler, PA

#833 Nov 21, 2007
Doug, Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless. You are loved. Jesus loves you and so do we. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Location hidden

#834 Nov 22, 2007
We here at Penelope, Incorporated would like to wish every one a belated Thanksgiving!
Time for change

Pittsburgh, PA

#835 Nov 22, 2007
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone. I am still here, just decided to calm down a few days.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Butler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Eagle Media purchases Pittsburgh City Paper Jun 21 Homey 2
News Ford cuts week off SUV plant shutdown to handle... Jun 17 helped her 1
Perry O'Malley leaving? (May '11) Jun 7 Homey 13
News Trooper, wife file lawsuit against new Butler c... (Apr '12) Jun 3 chris 10
Butler County District attorney Richard A. Gold... (May '14) May '16 Zeke the Pinhead 25
Dead body found (Apr '10) May '16 Zeke the Pinhead 5
Vote For Donald Trump May '16 Zeke the Pinhead 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Butler Mortgages