Butler gets new Main Street manager

There are 6 comments on the Butler Eagle story from Dec 2, 2011, titled Butler gets new Main Street manager. In it, Butler Eagle reports that:

Butler Downtown, the state-subsidized community group charged with revitalizing Butler's business district, has been without a manager since its first manager, Rebecca Smith, hired in 2008, died in a September car crash.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Butler Eagle.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Architorture

Butler, PA

#21 Jan 10, 2012
personally i see the brewery as a nice addition to a slowly developing redevelopment downtown. natili's new pizza place and the chop shop are nice additions to the eating options downtown and there will also be a organic eatery added below the loft developments closer to the diamond.

i'd like to believe that the brewery will get a lot of support and potentially grants from the redevelopment authority or other local and state authorities. as some might recall that property was targeted to be the 'cornerstone' of the center city development plan floated a few years ago. at that time they were saying it would be a rite aide...at a time when rite aide was trading at about 5 cents a share...it was dead before it even started and thankfully so.

a successful brewery along the lines of the north country brewery in slippery rock really could be a nice starting point for the development of that block and hopefully show that it can be done without taking property off the tax rolls and letting it sit as gravel lots for years.
Homey

United States

#22 Jan 11, 2012
Grants from the redevelopment authority to open a brewery, please put down the crackpipe and seek help
Big Daddy

Butler, PA

#23 Jan 11, 2012
Here we go again. Main street has been in the decline cince the 1970's and so has Butler.

A manager for main street Good Grief
JoblessInButler

Butler, PA

#24 Jan 11, 2012
Homey wrote:
Grants from the redevelopment authority to open a brewery, please put down the crackpipe and seek help
Will it create jobs? Boost the local economy? Clean up city blight? If you can answer yes to any of those then I don't see why not. There was a good editorial in the paper the other night that really spoke to the growth of craft beer and the potential it has to attract other businesses to the city. What would you like to see grants go to? Another rehab center to help you put down that crackpipe you mentioned? I want something that will create jobs and potentially attract more.
Homey

United States

#25 Jan 12, 2012
JoblessInButler wrote:
<quoted text>
Will it create jobs? Boost the local economy? Clean up city blight? If you can answer yes to any of those then I don't see why not. There was a good editorial in the paper the other night that really spoke to the growth of craft beer and the potential it has to attract other businesses to the city. What would you like to see grants go to? Another rehab center to help you put down that crackpipe you mentioned? I want something that will create jobs and potentially attract more.
Why must everything be funded by grants? Ultimately that money is coming from taxpayers who are strapped enough by rising taxes. If you want to start a business save your money, do your homework and research and go for it, don't depend on ''grants''

Since: Mar 09

Edmonton, Canada

#26 Jan 12, 2012
i never said they would depend upon grants, just that i was sure the city and county would lend their support by way of grants...which was more in response to the comments regarding it likely folding in a years time...

westinghouse got a mighty large PILOT program put in place to attract them to the area and you don't see too many in cranberry complaining about it...yes it is either taxpayer funded or taxpayer subsidized but that unfortunately is just the way it works anymore where communities have to battle each other to land new businesses.

i highly doubt this brewery will get anything like a PILOT but they havea good chance of getting funding for facade improvements or other such items.

and to your point these guys have already 'gone for it' by taking the leap of buying a property in the city and what are they met by? you disdain for their plans? you can't have it both ways...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Butler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
random encounters with idiots .....tell me your... (Jun '11) Apr 25 superwilly 20
Perry O'Malley leaving? (May '11) Apr 24 Pessimist 10
News Jim Eckstein announces candidacy for county com... (Jan '11) Apr 21 superwilly 65
News Officers Serving PFA Discover Butler Co. Mariju... Apr '15 Superwilly 8
What should I do? Mar '15 Dan 3
King Tom Donaldson Mar '15 Dan 12
School Consolidation? Mar '15 the real bubba 34
More from around the web

Butler People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]