Butler gets new Main Street manager

Dec 2, 2011 Full story: Butler Eagle 26

Butler Downtown, the state-subsidized community group charged with revitalizing Butler's business district, has been without a manager since its first manager, Rebecca Smith, hired in 2008, died in a September car crash.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Get Real

Butler, PA

#1 Dec 20, 2011
Well the former manager was hired in 2008 and really didn't accomplish a thing. Main Street doesn't look any different now than it has the past decade. Oh that's right they have thier Christmas decorations up. That will surely attract people to the stores on main street like Millers shoes which hasn't updated their product since 1989 or the brickhouse which looks more like a crackhouse.

Good luck with all that.
Homey

United States

#2 Dec 21, 2011
It's a tough job polishing a turd while you are waiting for a miracle to come, I feel sorry for the young lady and wish her the best of luck
blind

Butler, PA

#3 Dec 21, 2011
seriously? no change? are you blind? or just un-informed? FAcades are nearly all changed. loft apartments are here - new business - 1/2 empty glass people will never see what has happened here. go back to cranberry.
you get real

Port Deposit, MD

#4 Dec 21, 2011
Get Real wrote:
Well the former manager was hired in 2008 and really didn't accomplish a thing. Main Street doesn't look any different now than it has the past decade. Oh that's right they have thier Christmas decorations up. That will surely attract people to the stores on main street like Millers shoes which hasn't updated their product since 1989 or the brickhouse which looks more like a crackhouse.
Good luck with all that.
Were all aware when the last manager was hired, it states it at the top of this thread. Were also aware of her untimely death, which is also stated. Speaking ill of the deceased shows a flaw in character, and I find it rude for someone to try and personally point her out as a failure in a public forum where it possible for her family to view it, especially around the holidays. Everyones entitled to their own opinion, and my opinion is that its going to take a lot more than a downtown manager (no matter WHO it is) to bring this town around. Its will take a change in attitude from is citizens, especially the ones who share your way of thinking.
Homey

United States

#5 Dec 21, 2011
blind wrote:
seriously? no change? are you blind? or just un-informed? FAcades are nearly all changed. loft apartments are here - new business - 1/2 empty glass people will never see what has happened here. go back to cranberry.
Are you speaking of the facade of the Penn theatre that had to be addressed due to safety?, How about the facade & sign at the Hot Dog Shop that under penalty of a fine had to be addressed. Loft apartments are where? You are confusing a loft for the past and present second floor crack dens that permeate Main St not to mention all of the welfare bums panhandleing.
Get Real

Butler, PA

#6 Dec 21, 2011
you get real wrote:
<quoted text>
Were all aware when the last manager was hired, it states it at the top of this thread. Were also aware of her untimely death, which is also stated. Speaking ill of the deceased shows a flaw in character, and I find it rude for someone to try and personally point her out as a failure in a public forum where it possible for her family to view it, especially around the holidays. Everyones entitled to their own opinion, and my opinion is that its going to take a lot more than a downtown manager (no matter WHO it is) to bring this town around. Its will take a change in attitude from is citizens, especially the ones who share your way of thinking.
Uh my comment had nothing to do with speaking ill of the dead it had to do with the lack of change in 3 years or 15 years to Main St. Nice try anyways to avoid the subject at hand.
Get Real

Butler, PA

#7 Dec 21, 2011
blind wrote:
LOL the facades of what buildings have changed? You mean the non empty ones which make up at 25% of all the buildings on main street. Where are these loft apartments you speak? Would that crackhouse above Pizza Joes that was raided include these new lofts?
Architorture

Butler, PA

#8 Dec 21, 2011
the lofts are above the old lloyd johnson store and the lighty building. i don't believe they are open just yet though.
Homey

United States

#9 Dec 22, 2011
If they don't take HUD or other gubermint dole programs I have a hunch they will be empty for a long time
Architorture

Butler, PA

#10 Dec 22, 2011
i've never taken HUD at any property that i own and haven't had problems finding good tenants for the most part...

nice properties in the city should have no problem finding good tenants.
info

Butler, PA

#11 Jan 1, 2012
the loft apartments were leased before they were even completed. there is a brewery coming and a couple new restaurants. so, sorry - if you want to slam the city, you'll have to find another city to slam - bye
Homey

United States

#12 Jan 4, 2012
That's what Butler needs a $4.00 beer joint and more eateries since obesity and drunkeness is not a problem around here
Architorture

Butler, PA

#13 Jan 4, 2012
so what does it need on main street? more lawyer offices? a factory? maybe a few more banks... all of those things that are somewhat busy for 8 hours out of the day then nothing?

what would be the absolutely best thing to have on main street?
HOW

Butler, PA

#14 Jan 5, 2012
What would be the absolutely best thing to have off Main street ...is the TRUCKS!

The street is not pleasant to be on or live above.

Having worked/lived on Main for several years, I CAN TELL YOU ~ NOISE NOISE NOISE ~ JAKE BRAKE the worst! TICKET THEM for cash flo.

THEY VIOLATE NOISE LAWS!

Hope the new beer joint has a little open air garden round back in the design!
Homey

United States

#15 Jan 5, 2012
HOW wrote:
What would be the absolutely best thing to have off Main street ...is the TRUCKS!
Having worked/lived on Main for several years, I CAN TELL YOU ~ NOISE NOISE NOISE ~ JAKE BRAKE the worst! TICKET THEM for cash flo.
THEY VIOLATE NOISE LAWS!
Yes the view of Mckean St and the Cubs hall would be breath taking not to mention the truck traffic on Jefferson St approaching the intersection with Main St
Architorture

Butler, PA

#16 Jan 5, 2012
HOW wrote:
THEY VIOLATE NOISE LAWS!
a specific no jake brake ordinance was proposed at one point but shot down b/c council said they already had a noise ordinance... unfortunately no one ever enforces it.

even though the city has bigger problems that the police should be concentrating on, they might as well put someone on main street every day handing out noise tickets for jake brakes at the bottom of the hill...make it source of income and use the revenue to help fight the other more serious problems...it'll either end up helping the truck noise or helping fund other programs to stop bigger problems...but for some reason they don't do it.
Butlerite

Butler, PA

#17 Jan 6, 2012
Homey wrote:
That's what Butler needs a $4.00 beer joint and more eateries since obesity and drunkeness is not a problem around here
It's a craft brewery, not a dive bar. You're clearly not up on economic trends. Craft breweries cater to upper middle class crowds and bring customers into town that have a bit more money to spend. Your "drunks" are looking for 99 cent beers, not $4 beers. Areas around craft breweries also show a clear trend of cleaning up and advancing. It's one of the few industries that generate revenue in all economic climates and that's what the city needs, money. I will say this, the biggest thing the city could do to foster new growth is reduce the taxes. Highest mercantile tax of any city in the state makes it big turn off for new businesses looking for a home and drives them to shopping centers outside the downtown area. I will also agree that Penn Theater needs to be a cornerstone of downtown. That needs to be an entertainment venue on the weekends whether it be musicals, concerts, stand up comedy, whatever. There needs to be an entertainment draw downtown that can then be backed up by a good variety of small stores and restaurants.
Homey

United States

#18 Jan 6, 2012
Butlerite, I guess you mistook my tongue in cheek comment for a serious comment, I wish nothing but the best for the young men attempting to get their craft beer hobby off the ground, as far as the Penn theatre goes it will never go anywhere until a private entity owns it
Get Real

Butler, PA

#19 Jan 9, 2012
info wrote:
the loft apartments were leased before they were even completed. there is a brewery coming and a couple new restaurants. so, sorry - if you want to slam the city, you'll have to find another city to slam - bye
Sure there is a brewery coming. That'll change downtown Butler for sure. What a radical idea to improve Main St. by adding a brewery.

It'll be gone in a year. I don't have to "find" another city to slam. I live in Butler so I don't have to look much further than 100 feet in any direction to find anything to slam.
Get Real

Butler, PA

#20 Jan 9, 2012
Butlerite wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a craft brewery, not a dive bar. You're clearly not up on economic trends. Craft breweries cater to upper middle class crowds and bring customers into town that have a bit more money to spend. Your "drunks" are looking for 99 cent beers, not $4 beers. Areas around craft breweries also show a clear trend of cleaning up and advancing. It's one of the few industries that generate revenue in all economic climates and that's what the city needs, money. I will say this, the biggest thing the city could do to foster new growth is reduce the taxes. Highest mercantile tax of any city in the state makes it big turn off for new businesses looking for a home and drives them to shopping centers outside the downtown area. I will also agree that Penn Theater needs to be a cornerstone of downtown. That needs to be an entertainment venue on the weekends whether it be musicals, concerts, stand up comedy, whatever. There needs to be an entertainment draw downtown that can then be backed up by a good variety of small stores and restaurants.
Wasn't places like Gunners (which was great) and the brickhouse to cater to the upper crowd? That didn't last. The Brickhouse is dead on most nights and from the outside looks ran down and Gunners or 1804 or whatever left because it couldn't stay in business. Not even when Main St had less dope heads and a movie theatre next to it.

During the 8 months out of the year that ridiculous Ballpark isn't active catering to the Butler has beens, maybe the brewery can be another hang out for the good ole boys to get around and talk about how great Butler used to be in the 70's

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Butler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police: Man Acted As Pimp To 13-Year-Old Girl (Nov '11) Thu PittboyRN 45
Summit Academy Reform School (Feb '08) Dec 24 josh 147
The problem here Dec 13 superwilly 1
Butler County District attorney Richard A. Gold... (May '14) Nov 30 corey 9
What should butler do to move forward? Nov '14 superwilly 12
Where is obama during the freak snowstorm in bu... Nov '14 superwilly 1
Woman says she sold pot to help raise grandkids Nov '14 Dan 1
Butler Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web