Summit Academy Reform School
Vick

Springfield, VA

#41 Apr 14, 2009
Novinca, don't pay Homey, Ex-counselor and Cmon no mind. They staff at this juvie prison school. Just defendin there paychex by puttin you down. Tell the guvenor down in Maryland you ain't happy where you boy at. Agin, don't pay these Butler hill billees no mind. They worse thugs than your son will ever be. All these type juvie prison schools are secret societies that pretend to be somthin they ain't, behind the sceens if you know what I mean. Novinca, you go girl!
ex-counselor

Butler, PA

#42 Apr 16, 2009
Wow, great english and and even more fitting name "Vick". I havent worked at Summit in 6 years. Maybe I'd know you from back then possibly? Either that or your kid. It wouldnt surprise me one bit.
I'm sure the governor has a hotline set up for the parents of convicted criminals so that they can call and have their kids moved to whatever placement their little hearts desire. The parents are just lucky that they dont have to foot the bill for that sort of stuff. Hmm.. maybe that would be a good deterrent?
amath

Pittsburgh, PA

#43 May 11, 2009
Nick wrote:
yea well i went there. I got arrested and charged for possession of marijuana with intent to deliver, DUI, receiving stolen property, and criminal theft. i was 17 at the time. I could've faced 4 years in an adult facility, but the judge and my p.o recommended summit academy, for a 6 month sentence in the drug and alcohol counseling program. It isn't that bad of a place. You have to wear dress pants and shirt, tie and a blazer. you attend school, group sessions, sports, or other crafty activities. There is a lack of staff supervision and a lot of corrupt things occur such as violence, bullying, gangs and drugs. The drug and alcohol program really is a joke. They just give you packets to fill out, skim through them and that's it. It really isn't an effective place, just kind of a spot to stick criminals. The only real good thing about the place is the job opportunities in the cafeteria, and the school opportunity. I probably never would've gotten my diploma if it wasn't for that place. And they are helpful with college setup and etc.. Other than that, its really a sorry excuse for a placement. I guess its better than jail, but i wouldn't recommend it. Glen mills is a better place overall. I went there for 90 days and it taught me a lot.
I was just wondering if you actually got released from there in 6 months..Did they extend your stay? Is it possible to get out earlier? Thanks
sherle

Butler, PA

#44 May 22, 2009
I would not advise anyone to send their kid to Butler for anything. These people have a one track mind and never help these kids. The professionals here blame someone else for every issue that comes along, instead of helping these kids through treating them like people. Children need love and kindness when they lose their way, not brutality and ignorance. I hope all kids that have lost their way get the right kind of help and a caring counselor somewhere that is professional enough to help each and every one instead of condeming these kids and their families. I believe it is a sick town with too much blame in the wrong direction. Schools treat children with learning disabilities as though they are nothing but lazy and ignorant, which that alone has a negative affect on these kids. I hope children from other areas go elsewhere for help.
Ben

Butler, PA

#45 May 22, 2009
sherle wrote:
I would not advise anyone to send their kid to Butler for anything. These people have a one track mind and never help these kids. The professionals here blame someone else for every issue that comes along, instead of helping these kids through treating them like people. Children need love and kindness when they lose their way, not brutality and ignorance. I hope all kids that have lost their way get the right kind of help and a caring counselor somewhere that is professional enough to help each and every one instead of condeming these kids and their families. I believe it is a sick town with too much blame in the wrong direction. Schools treat children with learning disabilities as though they are nothing but lazy and ignorant, which that alone has a negative affect on these kids. I hope children from other areas go elsewhere for help.
Maybe they should e sent to jail and see how much love and kindness they get there.
ex-counselor

Butler, PA

#46 May 23, 2009
Sherle, give those criminals, i mean kids, an inch, and they take a mile there. Their whole lives they were taught nothing but a criminals way of life by their parents. Most of the kids parents are jailbait themselves. You cant blame a school for the parents failures. A kid gets a weekly phone call to their guardians once a week, and believe it or not, alot of the parents didnt care to even talk to their children. As long as the kids were out of their hair, then it was better for them. Some parents would be having a party at the house every time I called and would say they were too busy to talk. And you're worried about kids getting love and kindness at a juvenile delinquent placement. Cmon. Start it at home and they'd never be in that situation.
sherle

Butler, PA

#47 May 26, 2009
ex-counselor wrote:
Sherle, give those criminals, i mean kids, an inch, and they take a mile there. Their whole lives they were taught nothing but a criminals way of life by their parents. Most of the kids parents are jailbait themselves. You cant blame a school for the parents failures. A kid gets a weekly phone call to their guardians once a week, and believe it or not, alot of the parents didnt care to even talk to their children. As long as the kids were out of their hair, then it was better for them. Some parents would be having a party at the house every time I called and would say they were too busy to talk. And you're worried about kids getting love and kindness at a juvenile delinquent placement. Cmon. Start it at home and they'd never be in that situation.
I never said anything at all about love in a juvenile facility. I am entitled to my opinion and I stick by it. I have 2 grown kids and I helping someone else with their child. My main point is that I believe, based on what I have seen, therapists in Butler don't have a clue. These kids don't have a chance. Continually bashing parents Mr. ex-counselor, is not the answer.Ask some of these parents how they are treated when they go for help with kids. Further more I am not on here to argue with an ex anything nor I am on here to bash parents or troubled kids or anyone else. After what I have read from you though, Thank the good Lord you r an ex-counselor, need I say more.
ex-counselor

Butler, PA

#48 May 26, 2009
Sherle, would you rather have these kids in jail where they'd be learning how to be better CRIMINALS, or at a juvenile detention center? Atleast at that stop before a jail sentence, theres a small glimmer of hope for them. Most of the time, they do show improvement at the academy, only to return home and fall right back in the wrong crowd, or have their parents leave them run wild and not continue with pushing them in the right direction. That job was pretty thankless considering the very small number of kids that you were actually able to reach.. but one in a hundred is better than none at all. Anyways, what did I say that was so wrong to make you glad that I'm an ex counselor? Only a former summit students parent would say anything back about that. Nothing that I said was untrue.
sherle

Butler, PA

#49 May 27, 2009
ex-counselor wrote:
Sherle, would you rather have these kids in jail where they'd be learning how to be better CRIMINALS, or at a juvenile detention center? Atleast at that stop before a jail sentence, theres a small glimmer of hope for them. Most of the time, they do show improvement at the academy, only to return home and fall right back in the wrong crowd, or have their parents leave them run wild and not continue with pushing them in the right direction. That job was pretty thankless considering the very small number of kids that you were actually able to reach.. but one in a hundred is better than none at all. Anyways, what did I say that was so wrong to make you glad that I'm an ex counselor? Only a former summit students parent would say anything back about that. Nothing that I said was untrue.
You prove my point every time. No I did not have any child in summitt or anywhere else. As a matter of fact my first child has a 3.8 QPA from an accredited collge. Again, I stand by what I wrote, enjoy assuming. That's all she wrote.
ex-counselor

Butler, PA

#50 May 28, 2009
Yah sherle, you're totally correct. I've now seen the light! Someone who has no experience with the place whatsoever knows what goes on there and how the kids are, and what kind of help they need, versus someone who has actually worked with the kids at that placement before. You're a bonified genius.
By the way, a kid can be as smart as a whip, but can be a total heathen at the same time. One question though.. what kind of college that you know if ISNT accredited? really? haha
sherle

Butler, PA

#51 May 29, 2009
ex-counselor wrote:
Yah sherle, you're totally correct. I've now seen the light! Someone who has no experience with the place whatsoever knows what goes on there and how the kids are, and what kind of help they need, versus someone who has actually worked with the kids at that placement before. You're a bonified genius.
By the way, a kid can be as smart as a whip, but can be a total heathen at the same time. One question though.. what kind of college that you know if ISNT accredited? really? haha
Again; you have proved my point EX Counselor. Again you are assuming I have never worked with kids, Mean Mouth me all you want, it simply proves my point. You don't know me, genius
sherle

Butler, PA

#52 May 29, 2009
sherle wrote:
<quoted text> Again; you have proved my point EX Counselor. Again you are assuming I have never worked with kids, Mean Mouth me all you want, it simply proves my point. You don't know me, genius
Actually to add to this note, I don't know what made you so hostile. Obviously the job wasn't for you based on calling yourself an excounselor. I believe if anyone working with kids has such a bad attitude towards the situation, they are better off being an excounselor. Maybe some issues are too hard for some to handle. I have seen what goes on with alot of the kids. The bottom line here is, it is not the kids fault, children need guidance way into adult hood. If it cannot be the counselor and it cannot be the parent, who will that child have? I still believe that this area does not have enough insight and professionalism to handle these kids needs. Everyone wants an easy answer and a quick solution. I am not a hostile type person and I clearly see you want to be nasty. I feel sorry for you for that. Maybe you can get some help. it certainly isn't my fault you are an excounselor. Actually Alleghany County has an excellent team of doctors on an outpatient basis and they help the same type of children that we will find in Butler or any County. The difference is, the professionals don't give up on the kids nor do they fight with other adults as you have proceeded to do.

Since: Mar 08

New Bethlehem, PA

#53 May 29, 2009
Here was an interesting story from the Butler Eagle feb 2008.

Assault case ends in ARD
Supervisor gets probation


By Kim Paskorz
Eagle Staff Writer

A former supervisor at Summit Academy who was accused of assaulting a boy there in 2005 entered into Butler County's Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition program Wednesday.
David Akers, 35, of Indiana, Pa., can clear himself of a criminal record if he fulfills the terms of the ARD program.
The program is generally offered to first-time and non-violent offenders.
In Akers case, the program includes 18 months of probation and 40 hours of community service.
Assistant District Attorney Mark Lope, who prosecuted the case, said the ARDprogram is not normally offered to people facing assault accusations.
However, Lope said Akers' case merited special consideration for two reasons.
First, the victim — Devon Cooper, then 17, of Charles Town, W. Va.—- now is in federal prison on a drug-related conviction.
Lope said Cooper's circumstances made it difficult to prepare for any potential court hearings with the teen, who did not cooperate with prosecutors in the usual manner.
Secondly, Lope said Akers had no previous criminal history and has had no other troubles since the case was filed more than two years ago.
Then, Akers was one of four people fired after Cooper was treated at a Pittsburgh hospital for serious facial injuries in June 2005.
Cooper, according to court documents, told officials he was injured when he was caught violating curfew.
The boy claimed he was hurt when Akers shoved him from behind. The boy claimed his face crashed through a glass window of a fire hose cabinet.
The shattered glass cut a gash on the right side of Cooper's face and ear.
Court documents say the boy required more than 20 stitches, and he later appeared in court with an ear-to-chin scar.
Akers, according to court documents, denied any wrongdoing, instead insisting Cooper was hurt when he resisted efforts to discipline him for making inappropriate noises and hand gestures, according to court documents.
Akers, a supervisor at the reform school since April 2002, was the only person charged criminally.
He had been charged with aggravated assault, endangering the welfare of children and simple assault.
Akers' defense attorney, Stephen Misko of Butler, on Thursday said the conclusion to the case was "a long time in coming" and fair.
Butler County Judge William Shaffer accepted Akers into the program Wednesday.
Misko said since the time of these allegations, Akers has gone back to school and is now in the process of earning a master's degree at Indiana (Pa.) University.
"(ARD)is a good resolution. The charges will eventually be dismissed and (Akers) will be a productive member of society,"Misko said. "That's what we all want."
sherle

Butler, PA

#54 May 29, 2009
Thank You for the letter. That type of situation was only 1 reason why I would personally advise any family with this kind of problem with a child to look else where for help. What an injustice to children that have already been hurt. Shame on Society to agree with this type of system.
sherle

Butler, PA

#55 May 29, 2009
Time -for- Change wrote:
Here was an interesting story from the Butler Eagle feb 2008.
Assault case ends in ARD
Supervisor gets probation
By Kim Paskorz
Eagle Staff Writer
A former supervisor at Summit Academy who was accused of assaulting a boy there in 2005 entered into Butler County's Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition program Wednesday.
David Akers, 35, of Indiana, Pa., can clear himself of a criminal record if he fulfills the terms of the ARD program.
The program is generally offered to first-time and non-violent offenders.
In Akers case, the program includes 18 months of probation and 40 hours of community service.
Assistant District Attorney Mark Lope, who prosecuted the case, said the ARDprogram is not normally offered to people facing assault accusations.
However, Lope said Akers' case merited special consideration for two reasons.
First, the victim — Devon Cooper, then 17, of Charles Town, W. Va.—- now is in federal prison on a drug-related conviction.
Lope said Cooper's circumstances made it difficult to prepare for any potential court hearings with the teen, who did not cooperate with prosecutors in the usual manner.
Secondly, Lope said Akers had no previous criminal history and has had no other troubles since the case was filed more than two years ago.
Then, Akers was one of four people fired after Cooper was treated at a Pittsburgh hospital for serious facial injuries in June 2005.
Cooper, according to court documents, told officials he was injured when he was caught violating curfew.
The boy claimed he was hurt when Akers shoved him from behind. The boy claimed his face crashed through a glass window of a fire hose cabinet.
The shattered glass cut a gash on the right side of Cooper's face and ear.
Court documents say the boy required more than 20 stitches, and he later appeared in court with an ear-to-chin scar.
Akers, according to court documents, denied any wrongdoing, instead insisting Cooper was hurt when he resisted efforts to discipline him for making inappropriate noises and hand gestures, according to court documents.
Akers, a supervisor at the reform school since April 2002, was the only person charged criminally.
He had been charged with aggravated assault, endangering the welfare of children and simple assault.
Akers' defense attorney, Stephen Misko of Butler, on Thursday said the conclusion to the case was "a long time in coming" and fair.
Butler County Judge William Shaffer accepted Akers into the program Wednesday.
Misko said since the time of these allegations, Akers has gone back to school and is now in the process of earning a master's degree at Indiana (Pa.) University.
"(ARD)is a good resolution. The charges will eventually be dismissed and (Akers) will be a productive member of society,"Misko said. "That's what we all want."
P.S. They sure spell the word productive a different way these days and it even has a different meaning, if you get my drift.
ex-counselor

Butler, PA

#56 May 29, 2009
Wasnt "mean mouthing" you sherle, just throwing what you're giving me right back at ya. It looks like I've got your panties in a bunch too. I actually worked with the guy that was in that article for a short period of time. I wasnt there when that happened, so I really cant comment on it. It could have been eithers fault. If the kid became phsycially combative with the staff member and he accidentally got hurt in the process, then the judge was totally right with his decision. If the guy went a little too far, then maybe it wasnt the best one. All I can say is, no staff member goes into work that day wanting to hurt a kid or get into a confrontation. If these kids would just do what is expected of them, then none of that type of stuff would happen. Check out where that kid is though now, federal prison, on a non-juvenile charge. That one cant be blamed on anyone but himself.
Nice find on the article too sherle. Top notch work.
ex-counselor

Butler, PA

#57 May 29, 2009
Also, I didnt/dont have a bad attitude towards the kids there. A few I got along with really well and tried to help, some were beyond that.. and thats the point I am trying to drive home to you. What I do have is a bad attitude towards naive or stupid people. Take that how you wish.
Need Info

Polk City, FL

#58 May 30, 2009
Can anyone tell me more about the school environment at Summit Academy? I am thinking about applying there. Do they have many female teachers? Would it be very difficult for a female teacher to work in that school environment? How many kids are in each class? Do they have a support staff/behavior specialist in the room with the teacher? Thanks for the info.
sherle

Butler, PA

#59 May 30, 2009
ex-counselor wrote:
Wasnt "mean mouthing" you sherle, just throwing what you're giving me right back at ya. It looks like I've got your panties in a bunch too. I actually worked with the guy that was in that article for a short period of time. I wasnt there when that happened, so I really cant comment on it. It could have been eithers fault. If the kid became phsycially combative with the staff member and he accidentally got hurt in the process, then the judge was totally right with his decision. If the guy went a little too far, then maybe it wasnt the best one. All I can say is, no staff member goes into work that day wanting to hurt a kid or get into a confrontation. If these kids would just do what is expected of them, then none of that type of stuff would happen. Check out where that kid is though now, federal prison, on a non-juvenile charge. That one cant be blamed on anyone but himself.
Nice find on the article too sherle. Top notch work.
As I recall My response was to someone asking others opinion's about juvenile facilities. People like you provoke problems, intiate arguments, and have no social skills. You are a real piece of work!!!! To the person I originally responded to, My response remains the same and has been validated. I have no more to comment on unless our penpal buddy on here wants to continue to get fresh and assume whatever. Good Luck!!!!
sherle

Butler, PA

#60 May 30, 2009
Need Info wrote:
Can anyone tell me more about the school environment at Summit Academy? I am thinking about applying there. Do they have many female teachers? Would it be very difficult for a female teacher to work in that school environment? How many kids are in each class? Do they have a support staff/behavior specialist in the room with the teacher? Thanks for the info.
I will tell you to address all inquiries to the excounselor, he assumes this is his forum.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Butler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Butler News (facebook page) (Feb '16) 19 hr Justin Castilyn 4
Looking 4 Brian Kennedy (Oct '09) Aug 24 nikki3737 5
'Hot dog shop' hot dogs???? (Nov '07) Aug 8 Homey 98
Perry O'Malley leaving? (May '11) Aug 5 Homey 16
Check out Butler News Jul '16 Cotton Eye Joe 2
The Reality of Butler (Jul '15) Jul '16 Fkyall 20
News Eagle Media purchases Pittsburgh City Paper Jun '16 Homey 2

Butler Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Butler Mortgages