Volunteer Firefighters

Volunteer Firefighters

Posted in the Butler Forum

Chicago, IL

#1 Feb 10, 2011
There are 1,148,850 firefighters in the US. of that number only 321,700 (28%) are paid and 827,150 (72%) are volunteers. I believe, personally, that it's facts like these that get overlooked everyday by your average Americans. Here in Butler County, there is only one (1) paid fire department (Butler City). The rest of the county is protected by men and women whom risk their lives at any hour of the day for you. These are individuals with families and jobs/careers of their own. Me being a volunteer firefighter, I can tell you the reward of putting my life in danger is simply respect. We must never forget the selflessness of the men and women in this community to protect property and life. My fellow firefighters are my family. A special kind of family no one could possibly recognize unless you are also in the emergency services. We risk ours to save yours simply for the joy of helping people and protecting what you work so hard for. So, for instance, when their is a vehicle accident and your being detoured off your everyday traveled route, don't be frustrated at the firemen who DO NOT have to be there. Be thankful for them. You never know when your going to have to depend on them to help you or a loved one in their time of need. Being a firefighter has changed my life on multiple levels. I have seen images that will forever be in my head, I have ran into places that everyone else was running out of. I have been called in to situations that the average American would want nothing to do with. All the while I've done it all with the firefighters that are by my side, in it for the same reasons as myself. Selflessness, bravery, and courage. This is the image I want everyone to have when it comes to Volunteer Firefighting, paid Firefighter, EMS, and law enforcement. I am PROUD to be a volunteer firefighter and I couldn't be prouder of my fellow firefighters. Those who have lost their lives may be gone, but they are never forgotten. Let's have ourselves a safe 2011. God Bless.

Pete D. Gall
Safety Officer - Department VP - Relief Association VP
Lick Hill Volunteer Fire Department & Relief association - Station 8 - Butler, PA

Oxford, PA

#3 Dec 14, 2011
Then why do the ones w/ blue lights break the law?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Butler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trapeze Swinger's club sued Mar 13 SoSad 2
Security Cameras in Butler City (May '15) Mar 9 Eddie 24
How can one be so stupid? Mar 8 Bella 7
Mackenzie Peters mother of 4 year old that was ... Mar 8 Darcy 3
Kayla Lutz held for trial after shoplifting at ... Feb 24 Butler News 1
State Police chase on 79 this morning Feb 22 Butler News 2

Butler Jobs

Personal Finance

Butler Mortgages