Food choices reflect financial condit...

Food choices reflect financial conditions

There are 56 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 23, 2009, titled Food choices reflect financial conditions. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

In the grocery aisles and in kitchens across the country, old school is increasingly in, courtesy of the recession and higher food prices.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
in chicago

Chicago, IL

#1 Jan 24, 2009
or are they showing those food for the super bowl events -
I think the Trib used a picture that is a fact about one event to prove a story with other facts....
Terry

Frankfort, IL

#2 Jan 24, 2009
We here how bad people are doing, yet every sporting venue is filled to the rafters. It doesn't matter, Bulls, Blackhawks, Bears. Each time a family of four goes it costs near $500. Yet no one blinks at that. Then look at the NFL Play-Offs. Each seat is hundreds or thousands of dollars. And they are not all corporate seats. Then why do people drive into the city from the burbs and pay for parking, higher prices not to mention higher taxes just to be trendy? I can eat a meal just as good in Oakbrook than anywhere downtown and not have to pay for parking and not have to pay Daley's & Strogers enforcement taxes. Stay in the burbs out of Crook County and you will save money.
Billy Bob

United States

#3 Jan 24, 2009
Terry wrote:
We here how bad people are doing, yet every sporting venue is filled to the rafters. It doesn't matter, Bulls, Blackhawks, Bears. Each time a family of four goes it costs near $500. Yet no one blinks at that. Then look at the NFL Play-Offs. Each seat is hundreds or thousands of dollars. And they are not all corporate seats. Then why do people drive into the city from the burbs and pay for parking, higher prices not to mention higher taxes just to be trendy? I can eat a meal just as good in Oakbrook than anywhere downtown and not have to pay for parking and not have to pay Daley's & Strogers enforcement taxes. Stay in the burbs out of Crook County and you will save money.
Fans of teams and celebs simply will
not be denied no matter what the cost.
this needs attention

United States

#4 Jan 24, 2009
Now that gasoline prices have been cut in half, when are the food companies going to reduce their prices and go back to the larger packaging they used to offer. We got hit with a double whammy-- smaller boxes and loaves of bread for 30 to 40 percent more. When will someone investigate that?
What

Cary, IL

#5 Jan 24, 2009
OMG: cooking at home - what a concept.

For those of us who already have been cooking at home and can now enjoy a nice meal out, it is great. The restaurants are eager to please and the prices are getting a bit better (and they aren't as crowded).
Womans opinion

Cary, IL

#6 Jan 24, 2009
Terry wrote:
We here how bad people are doing, yet every sporting venue is filled to the rafters. It doesn't matter, Bulls, Blackhawks, Bears. Each time a family of four goes it costs near $500......
People really pay that much to see a game? Why? Especially when you can watch it in the comfort of your own home (or local bar).
Mary

Menlo Park, CA

#7 Jan 24, 2009
Something else that's selling like crazy (and has been for years) is Vienna sausage. Those in the know say most of it goes down South. Good news for those who've been working overtime to make it (the Vienna sausage).
Stealth Warrior

Fox Lake, IL

#8 Jan 24, 2009
Home cooking? What a concept! My wife and I have been foodies for years. We gave up $65.00 restaurant tabs for $300 every six weeks at Sam's club for bulk stuff, poultry, and meat a long time ago. Our average tab at Jewel for produce, eggs, milk, and other basic stuff is about $85 a week. Now we marinate, grill out at home EVERY WEEK, use the crock pot, make pizza dough and sauce from scratch,make the best fajitas around, and use the oven all the time. And don't tell me you don't have the time. We both work full time and devote on the average about an hour a night making a meal. Taste's better, no parking, gas, tips, etc. and it costs A LOT less. Take your fast food and Starbucks and shove it!
Oh, and sports? Go get a nice HD TV, buy a used theater style popcorn maker and buy popcorn in bulk on Ebay. I used to have Bears tickets. No More! I see a better game at home, don't have to stand in line to take a leak, don't have to put up with all the drunks, and I save A LOT of money.
Shop and Compare

Mchenry, IL

#9 Jan 24, 2009
Where does the lady in the article shop for spaghetti sauce at $5.00 a jar? She is surely getting ripped-off.

“Illinois Pride - Yes we WILL!”

Since: Jan 08

Ursa Minor

#10 Jan 24, 2009
Kudos to Stealth Warrior. Home is where is the heart lies.
Murphy

Westchester, IL

#11 Jan 24, 2009
Whether the economy is good or bad, there is nothing better than frying up a tin of SPAM. This is the most delicious of meats. A tin of SPAM , a few fried eggs, and an english muffin---WHAT A GREAT BREAKFAST. Also a fried SPAM SANDWICH IS GREAT. Fry up a tin of sliced SPAM, mustard up an onion roll, and wash it all down with a 16oz. BUDWEISER. Now we are talking gastronomical heaven!!!!!!
Jennifer

Arlington Heights, IL

#12 Jan 24, 2009
Shop and Compare wrote:
Where does the lady in the article shop for spaghetti sauce at $5.00 a jar? She is surely getting ripped-off.
Exactly what I was thinking! I've been cooking at home all my life and the average weekly cost of groceries for my family of 3 is under $50, we could eat out maybe twice for that. We do still eat out occasionally but as another poster mentioned it's cheaper and quieter now. And don't buy a 'used popcorn machine off Ebay'- buy a microwave popper from Target for $5 and do your heart a favor at the same time!
IMHO

Hazel Crest, IL

#14 Jan 24, 2009
this needs attention wrote:
Now that gasoline prices have been cut in half, when are the food companies going to reduce their prices and go back to the larger packaging they used to offer. We got hit with a double whammy-- smaller boxes and loaves of bread for 30 to 40 percent more. When will someone investigate that?
gas prices fell because people stopped buying gas. stop buying over-priced food and the price will fall there, too. supply and demand actually works to a certain extent. and instead of writing a message on a meaningless blog, write a letter to the chairman of the companies with which you are concerned.
Rachel

Glen Ellyn, IL

#15 Jan 24, 2009
These people are all morons. Shopping at big box retailers just rips you off and they are buying unhealthy processed foods that will cause them to become obese and cost even more to the health system. People should shop at smaller markets like Valli or Springbrook where you can buy items on sale for very cheap (10 cent veggies, fruits, etc.) and buy fresh produce instead of frozen items and Velveeta Cheese.
IMHO

Hazel Crest, IL

#16 Jan 24, 2009
Stealth Warrior wrote:
Home cooking? What a concept! My wife and I have been foodies for years. We gave up $65.00 restaurant tabs for $300 every six weeks at Sam's club for bulk stuff, poultry, and meat a long time ago. Our average tab at Jewel for produce, eggs, milk, and other basic stuff is about $85 a week. Now we marinate, grill out at home EVERY WEEK, use the crock pot, make pizza dough and sauce from scratch,make the best fajitas around, and use the oven all the time. And don't tell me you don't have the time. We both work full time and devote on the average about an hour a night making a meal. Taste's better, no parking, gas, tips, etc. and it costs A LOT less. Take your fast food and Starbucks and shove it!
Oh, and sports? Go get a nice HD TV, buy a used theater style popcorn maker and buy popcorn in bulk on Ebay. I used to have Bears tickets. No More! I see a better game at home, don't have to stand in line to take a leak, don't have to put up with all the drunks, and I save A LOT of money.
yep, that about sums it up. foodies rock. and the more you cook, the more you learn to cook. everyone should pick up one good general cookbook that teaches simple recipes and seasonal cooking. it's winter, a time for root vegetables. sounds complicated? root vegetables means a sweet potato soup, perfectly seasoned, with a dollop of sour cream.

and with all due respect to the hormel people, i'd rather try my hand at this chili http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/004280c...
IMHO

Hazel Crest, IL

#17 Jan 24, 2009
Shop and Compare wrote:
yep, classico brand has a really nice tomato basil (no added sugar!) that can easily be found for 2 bucks a jar. Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Diced Tomatoes (Tomatoes, Tomato Juice, Citric Acid, Calcium Chloride), Onion, Olive Oil, Salt, Basil, Garlic, Garlic Powder, Spices, Soybean Oil.
IMHO

Hazel Crest, IL

#18 Jan 24, 2009
Rachel wrote:
These people are all ****. Shopping at big box retailers just rips you off and they are buying unhealthy processed foods that will cause them to become obese and cost even more to the health system. People should shop at smaller markets like Valli or Springbrook where you can buy items on sale for very cheap (10 cent veggies, fruits, etc.) and buy fresh produce instead of frozen items and Velveeta Cheese.
yeah, processed "cheese products"...ummmm, no thanks.
too old

Springfield, IL

#19 Jan 24, 2009
Cooking at home has saved us a bundle. So has clipping coupons and other little tricks (for instance, TCF Bank has a deal where if you open a checking account, you get a $50 grocery card on the spot).

As a stay-at-home-mom, I have been cooking WAY more than I ever did before. I plan to make my own baby food, too, once my little one is able to eat solid foods (maybe another month or so). She will then learn to eat healthy foods, and hopefully not have a weight issue to boot.
Mary Ann

Englewood, FL

#20 Jan 24, 2009
If you are budgeting closely every
month go to the store that offers the
best buys. We live in Florida, Publix
is nice but getting too expensive.
We do a lot of shopping at the Walmart
Super Center and they have also raised
their prices. We have tried Sweet Bay
also and it is a losing battle. The
best thing to do is watch the sales
at either store. Publix offers buy one, get one free. Watch your news-
papers and you would be surprised of
what is on the shelves. Also if you
have a Dollar Store in your area,
try it and you can find many items
that the other stores' prices are
too high. Please, please, stay away
from the fast food chains. I had a
bad experience 5 years ago, wound up
in the ER because of salmonella food
poisoning from the Arby's Food Chain
along with some other complications.
I almost died. Cook at home and it
is a lot healthier. Fast food chains
put on "pounds."
what do I do

Chicago, IL

#21 Jan 24, 2009
We eat the same great food just like always.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burr Ridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bur Oak Woods 14 hr midlodude 2
Megan Fox wrote book about Orland Park library 18 hr Orland 1
Chicago Ridge in Decline (Dec '13) Sun You are Clueless 16
Backyard Chicken Coops Sun Resident 2
Grandma Fran Too Sick To Continue May 21 Uncle Joe 3
What happened to the Hillside Shopping Center? (Mar '08) May 21 Scrubber59 586
lyons, il politics (Mar '07) May 21 Res 8,775
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Burr Ridge Mortgages