Why are there so many Arabs in Orland?
Sal

Tinley Park, IL

#48 Feb 10, 2012
These people talking about adapting to society are the ones who have lost their heritage or culture. America is a melting pot it is not a white country like many people here are trying to make it seem. These seem like the same people who follow the KKK. I live in Orland Park, I have white neighbors, muslim neighbors,catholic hispanic neighbors and get along with them all. We The odd thing is, the only one of my neighbored who served this country in the armed forces is My muslim neighbor who is a Korean war veteran and who's son in law is a local police officer in a neighboring suburbs. Who is more American? Me for being white? Stop stereotyping, it's 2012? I traveled to Europe, and Asia and see many westerners living there who do not adapt to their dress, lifestyle, religion or culture? Why should people here be forced to
bill

Elk Grove Village, IL

#50 Feb 13, 2012
so is sal

Since: Feb 12

Worth, IL

#51 Feb 28, 2012
Islam is a whacked religion, even more than Catholicism. The homosexual undertones are obvious to any observer. Any faith that covers up your women is bizarre and weird. I don't know who are freakier: Catholic priests or Muslim men.
mpppp41

Tinley Park, IL

#52 Feb 28, 2012
square bear wrote:
the jews all live in the north so other cultures are wanting to know they will be treated fairly in the bussiness dealings...so blame the people who named orland the square....people from other cultures know they can deal with people on the square and compass and bypass religous outlets or have their religious groups taken equally as brothers. just look at all the fraternal organizations that are in orland on a sign as you drive into orland south on la grange.
Yeah & all of the DUMB DRUNKIN IRISH PIGS live on the SouthSide!!!
CM Punk

Orland Park, IL

#53 Feb 29, 2012
The 111th Street Possum wrote:
Islam is a whacked religion, even more than Catholicism. The homosexual undertones are obvious to any observer. Any faith that covers up your women is bizarre and weird. I don't know who are freakier: Catholic priests or Muslim men.
All 3 "big" religions are the same. To me, they're not really necessary to provide good values, especially if people forget moderation & take them to the extreme. I'm not atheist, but I just don't practice anything in particular.
Dope Stars Inc

Chicago, IL

#55 Jun 8, 2012
I went to Orland park and it's just any ordinary town.
I dislike seeing towns full of just one type of ethnic group.
Wow

Tinley Park, IL

#56 Jul 11, 2012
you are kidding wrote:
I have learned about this race. They are pigs that steal and lie to get what they want. The give birth to many children then get public aid for these children because they say they are not married. They demand free lunch in the schools but like in half million doller homes. They force this christian nation not to celebrate Christmas in schools, but is that not what this nation was built upon? They cost the tax payers millions by not teaching thier children how to behave and inflict the cost on all the tax payers of the community. They cheat the government but not paying accurate taxes and they get free medical care. All and all they drain society rather then contribute like a leech with no particular purpose besides to steal and suppory their native arab country. There may be a few who do not do this but from the doctors to store owners I have found this to be true. Also the have no allegience to the US. I say no more. All you arab should go back where you came from. Let them self destruct from within but leave us (the us) out of it.
Most of the people here 1st- need to learn how to spell 2nd- Take an American history class and one on the middle east and another on Islam 3rd-READ A BIBLE-FORGIVE-pray-pray-pray FOR FORGIVENESS AND UNDERSTANDING!!! Most of you (except for "seriously") sound so darn bitter, what I imagine ignorant scumm of the earth! I'm not Arabian but would rather be one before being one of you! I usually do nt talk to people like any of you but I'm all for justice and for speaking up when something is wrong and unacceptable!
just a thought

Chicago Heights, IL

#57 Dec 2, 2012
I was in Orland several weeks back. I wasn't there in probably 10-15 years maybe more. I noticed many arabs about. I think the simple answer is, about 25+ years ago, Orland/Tinley started growing, there was a big draw to live in that area. Mayor Daley tore down the concrete jungles, and with the violence in the urban areas, people naturally wanted to get away. Those who could afford it did. As far as the cheats who know how to break the rules, Im sure that goes on as well which is unfortunate because the tax payer only pays more.
Immigrants who came to this country 100+ years ago assimilated. Immigrants who come to this country now, don't. My real concern with muslims is their imposing of shari, just research Dearborn Michigan. Big big issue if Americans do not unite against a serious threat of their primitive religious laws. Its important to note, Christian principles made this country and Europe what is. Christianity catapulted the modern age with hospitals, universities, medical breakthroughs, welfare of the poor, orphanages etc etc. All these great institutions were constructed by Christians. People migrate to safer areas until they are no longer safe.
heres your solution

Blue Island, IL

#58 Dec 2, 2012
Dope Stars Inc wrote:
I went to Orland park and it's just any ordinary town.
I dislike seeing towns full of just one type of ethnic group.
Then stay in chicago were the people are all the same . Dumb as a box of rocks
just a thought

Chicago Heights, IL

#59 Dec 2, 2012
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of the people here 1st- need to learn how to spell 2nd- Take an American history class and one on the middle east and another on Islam 3rd-READ A BIBLE-FORGIVE-pray-pray-pray FOR FORGIVENESS AND UNDERSTANDING!!! Most of you (except for "seriously") sound so darn bitter, what I imagine ignorant scumm of the earth! I'm not Arabian but would rather be one before being one of you! I usually do nt talk to people like any of you but I'm all for justice and for speaking up when something is wrong and unacceptable!
Christians are being persecuted terribly throughout muslim dominated countries. Statistics show every 3 to 5 minutes a Christian is killed for their faith in Jesus Christ.
Not a racist

Blue Island, IL

#60 Dec 24, 2012
All the Arabs do is start trouble. Look in the police blotter. Not opposed to different races but their culture is fu€ked up.
BorderHopper

Melrose Park, IL

#61 Jan 13, 2013
I live in Orland Park and I wonder why all these arabs live here as well, they refuse to assimilate to the great American culture. We have to remove our christmas tree star because its not part of their beliefs or religion well I have a message for you sweaty bastards if you dont like it get the hell out of America and I hate how you bastards cheat on your taxes and ask for public aid for your 10 kids when your driving around in BMW's and shopping at the Orland mall. I hope you parasites are exterminated.
BorderHopper

Melrose Park, IL

#62 Jan 13, 2013
Also I forgot to add...why do the arab women wear the tarps and towels during 94 degree weather? If you want to be American wear something comfortable oh wait you can't or you will get beaten. Damn Allah and a screw Muhammad I will crap on his portrait if I ever see it.

P.S. yes im Mexican but a hell of a model American that will die for the great U.S. of A. and no I didnt really hop the border but that would have been funny huh?
sillyc

Tinley Park, IL

#63 Feb 2, 2013
They obviously move to orland because they have the right to, as does anyone else. If you don't like the country we live in, where we welcome anyone, then get the hell out of here. Go back to wherever you came from! All of our roots go back somewhere else other than America, so shut up. I'm sick of racists people. No wonder why other races are so rude to "whites" cuz all of you need to realize its 2013! Get over it already. It has nothing to do with race for getting assistance from the state. I work 40+ hours a week and still qualify for assistance from the state. The economy sucks, I went to school, have an education, but no one wants to pay $$$. So quit judging people when u don't know what their life is really like!!!!
what

Blue Island, IL

#64 Feb 2, 2013
sillyc wrote:
They obviously move to orland because they have the right to, as does anyone else. If you don't like the country we live in, where we welcome anyone, then get the hell out of here. Go back to wherever you came from! All of our roots go back somewhere else other than America, so shut up. I'm sick of racists people. No wonder why other races are so rude to "whites" cuz all of you need to realize its 2013! Get over it already. It has nothing to do with race for getting assistance from the state. I work 40+ hours a week and still qualify for assistance from the state. The economy sucks, I went to school, have an education, but no one wants to pay $$$. So quit judging people when u don't know what their life is really like!!!!
sillyc must be short for silly c**t .
sillyc

Tinley Park, IL

#65 Feb 3, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>sillyc must be short for silly c**t .
Haha your funny... Not! Get over yourself, what are you 10??
John

Orland Park, IL

#66 Nov 14, 2013
OMG there is heaters in here!
You all should find a job and put your energy doing that job and it yeah it can't be killing people! That gos for the wight guy too.
face east and bow

Chicago, IL

#67 Nov 14, 2013
BorderHopper wrote:
I live in Orland Park and I wonder why all these arabs live here as well.
They all come here for your mom.

And then they all come again!
An Arab Muslim Sister

Tinley Park, IL

#68 Jan 28, 2014
We should be proud to be Americans due to the fact that this country is a mix of religions and cultures all living together and working together. Racism is a disease of the heart and although it still exists today, I am glad to see people combating it, the best way is always to kill em with kindness (:

I would like to thank the non-muslims and non-arabs on this thread that stood up for the muslims and arabs. You are the reasons that compassion for humanity and kindness still exist in times like today. You are the hope in humanity! You will never understand how much your generosity and courage for defending us (and others who are socially oppressed) truly means to us.. we appreciate you dearly (:

To the racists, look into your heart and realize that you are human just like the rest of us. We all cry tears, all bleed the same blood, all need the same basic things to survive. We are brothers and sisters. And until you believe and act on that, I will pray for you. And I will not love you as a fellow human being any less (:

Just to address a few things I saw mentioned earlier in this thread:

When a mosque is built, Muslims do NOT need to live in the vicinity that it was built in in order to attend that mosque. I live in Orland and sometimes I go to Bridgeview Mosque. Doesn't matter where you live, you can attend any mosque anywhere in the world.

With the Native American situation, these people were indeed wiped out by disease and illness when the Europeans arrived but there is absolutely NO excuse to make when it comes to the fact that these Europeans wiped them out by stealing their land and exterminating them mercilessly.. and that is the truth.

On Islam, I'm not sure how anybody would be able to claim that it is a hateful religion since every single chapter in the Quran (except the 9th) begins with "In the Name of God, the Most Gracious, Most Merciful." Where is the hate in that? And if you've ever seen a Muslim acting in a way opposite to this central love in Islam, I apologize on their behalf and ask you not to judge the entire religion based off of that one incident with that one Muslim you encountered. We don't all hate America, we don't all hate white people.. we are a people naturally based on mercy. And I hope that you all experience nothing less than that from us.

To all, I hope that deep down you will be able to look past the stereotypes of Arabs, Muslims, and other looked-down-upon cultures and religions of the world and look at the individual for who they really are.. We don't all work at 7/11 like I saw was claimed above, and even if we did, whats wrong with working at 7/11? It's a job. Everyone deserves respect, no matter what their job is or isn't.

Lastly, I ask everyone to please approach the world with a smile and a kind heart. It changes things for you and everyone else(:

Peace be on you all !
An Arab Muslim Sister

Tinley Park, IL

#69 Jan 28, 2014
One more thing I forgot to address:

Someone mentioned that women covering up in Islam is bizarre. I'd like clear this entire topic up for you all..

B4 I get into covering up in Islam, I'd just like to throw it out there that it is an obligation by God for women to cover their hair in Christianity as well.. this is a verse from 1 Corinthians 11:6 in the Bible: "For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head." So.. yeah, not just Islam folks. Back to Islam tho !...

Women are not forced by anyone to wear a scarf on their head (also known as wearing a hijab) in Islam. It is their choice. It is widely accepted as an Islamic obligation to cover our heads, this is an obligation from God. No one else has any say in the matter on whether a woman covers her hair or not. Not her husband, father, brother, mother, or anyone. For God states in the Quran: "Let there be no compulsion in religion.." (2:256).

Before I get into why women wear the hijab, I would like to make a quick note that men also have a hijab in Islam as well. I will get to that at the end of my comment though, first I will focus on the women...

There are a few reasons that God has placed this obligation upon women. One reason is because Islam is a religion of modesty. Muslims are supposed to be modest in speech, character, actions, manners, and clothing. So wearing hijab is just another manifestation of that modesty so central to Islam.

Another reason we wear hijab to cover our hair is because women are precious gems in Islam. In our religion, our Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) declared that heaven lies under the mother's feet. And he also declared that the best men are those that are best to their wives.

As precious as we are, it is only biological knowledge that needs to show us how the male mind works when it comes to women. Men have urges that women will never fully understand, including myself. We all know that when a man sees a beautiful woman, he will feel something. This is common sense and knowledge. With this knowledge, Allah (the Arabic word for God) mandated that there be as little temptation for men and women as possible. When a woman is covered up, walking down the street, she does not tempt men as much as a woman in a bikini, half naked, does when she walks down the street. It just makes sense.

Now, this is NOT the ONLY reason why women wear hijab, I want to make that very clear. We do not wear hijab just to help men control themselves. Men should be controlling themselves already. We wear the hijab to lessen this innate temptation and because modesty is a key component in islam so covering up is just another manifestation of that modesty (like i mentioned above). As I also mentioned above, men have a hijab too!

Men's hijab is to cover themselves from the navel to the knee. The reasons for this hijab is the same as stated before, it is to manifest one aspect of our modesty, just as we should be modest in character and speech, etc as well.

The most important reason that men and women must wear their hijab, though, is something that I wanted to leave last..

We must fulfill this obligation of God simply because He said so. In Islam, we take God's commands seriously and must try to follow them as best as we can. Of course, we do not blindly follow or have blind faith. We seek to understand these commandments and be knowledgeable about them to the best of our ability. But the central reason for doing these types of things is because God's word is the Final Word for us in Islam. And we must comply with His standards for us to live in order to succeed. They are not hard to follow.. society and media may make them seem hard for us to follow but really, they are quite simple. I hope I helped u guys understand hijab. Plz treat those of us who wear it w/ respect. We're ppl just like you

Peace be on you!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burr Ridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay bar 2 min Jolly Inn 2
Ronald Jude Jarnell ( alias Bones) (Aug '17) 1 hr No More Bones 7
Eddie Needs A Job In November 1 hr Another Political... 5
News Employees injured in robbery at Razny Jewelers ... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Cracker Mayo 1
News West suburban fire board pumped up chiefs' pens... (Sep '13) Mar '17 Supporter 10
Locksmith Burr Ridge Illinois (Jun '15) Jun '15 DidierRiquier 1
Burr Ridge Man Named to National Manufacturing ... (Feb '15) Feb '15 smcpherson 1

Burr Ridge Jobs

Personal Finance

Burr Ridge Mortgages