Da Coach Mike Ditka for Illinois gove...

Da Coach Mike Ditka for Illinois governor?

There are 37 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 22, 2008, titled Da Coach Mike Ditka for Illinois governor?. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Rod Blagojevich 's fumbling performance, a Burr Ridge man has begun an Internet campaign aimed at yanking the governor from office and replacing him with former Bears coach Mike Ditka .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Billy Bob

United States

#1 Dec 23, 2008
Yes, Iron Mike for Governor.
Finally there would be an honorable man in the office.
DanS

Chicago, IL

#2 Dec 23, 2008
let's review Mr Ditka's resume:
(1) he was a satisfactory player for his era, but satisfactory is all he was;
(2) he happened to be hired to coach a team that would have progressed to the Super Bowl regardless of who was coach;
(3) his coaching & leadership skills are defined by his tenure in New Orleans;
(4) his temper tantrums are legendary; do we want a governor that exhibits that behavior?
an uninformed electorate proferring solutions of this type are why Illinois is a laughing stock nationally and internationally.
Tiny Tim

AOL

#3 Dec 23, 2008
Well, we know that Redecki and I will give him at least two votes. I want to assume that Iron Mike and his wife will vote for him. He would easily win.
Mike has been enjoying the "good life" for too long, however. He would NEVER give it up in order to work a 40 plus hour a week job with a huge drop in his income as a reward for his trying to give back to his fans and supporters in Illinois.
It is a good fantasy dream, however.
Dave in Chicago

Milwaukee, WI

#4 Dec 23, 2008
Da Coach would have a grabber on day one (his Lt. Gov would take over)
Krazy Daisy

Homewood, IL

#5 Dec 23, 2008
Certainly does give Mr. Redecki his moment in the sun, doesn't it?
Liberty Bell

Glendale Heights, IL

#6 Dec 23, 2008
We couldn't get the coach to stand up and be counted for Senator from Illinois, so we got Keyes to put up against Obama...
The rest is history.
RLW

Chicago, IL

#7 Dec 23, 2008
Ditka???!!!!!! Come on Give the taxpayers a break. Illinois has enough incompetent clowns in political office. How about some really competent legislators and executives for a change of pace!
dr van nostrand

West Chicago, IL

#9 Dec 23, 2008
Ditka is a jerk and never in the annals of sport has someone parlayed so much from doing so little. Given the talent and the genius of the defensive coach of the '85 Bears team, Ditka could have lounged in his living room on Sundays and that team was still going all the way. This was later proven when he coached New Orleans, which could barely beat most good high school teams. Today he makes boring/inane/obvious comments on TV sports shows, sells rubberized pork chops at inflated prices, and would dance in a ballerina costume at State and Madison if there were two bucks to be made. Yep, he's a good candidate for public office.
Pat

United States

#10 Dec 23, 2008
Oh no, Why?
Our next governor should not be some sport fan's hero and/or what he think is the ideal man. Haven't we had enough of the "bad boy" swagger with Blago?

What is Ditka's educational background anyway? Perhaps next time we elect a governor we should look for am educated (not from one of the party schools) cultured CEO type.
coached

Grand Rapids, MI

#11 Dec 23, 2008
Ditka would make a great Gov !! Good thing he's a member at a very exclusive golf club,, Lost Dunes in Bridgman, Michigan,, and so are the top dogs of Winston and Strawn.. Perhaps he may be able to get some helpful pointers.
Billy Bob

United States

#12 Dec 23, 2008
Pat wrote:
Oh no, Why?
Our next governor should not be some sport fan's hero and/or what he think is the ideal man. Haven't we had enough of the "bad boy" swagger with Blago?
What is Ditka's educational background anyway? Perhaps next time we elect a governor we should look for am educated (not from one of the party schools) cultured CEO type.
We are talking about a man of honor
not a slick 'cultured' CEO type who
will skin the state alive while
he strokes the voters and has a nice
toothy smile.
Paul

Chicago, IL

#13 Dec 23, 2008
Hopefully not Democrat! You say what the Dems have done to this state.

Give me Jim Edgar anyday!!!!!!!
God Hates Dinosaurs

San Ramon, CA

#14 Dec 23, 2008
At his first press conference, Governor Ditka was asked about the budget shortfall:

"Governor Ditka, what are you going to do about the budget shortfall?"

"Hey **** you,*******! I'm gonna ******* take that ******* budget and jam it up your ********** you ********** piece of ********** So **** you, do you hear me? I'll cut out your ******* heart and ********** on it in front of your mother!".

"Interesting answer. But what about the budget?".

"Ummm.. er .. next question!"
Azabache

United States

#15 Dec 23, 2008
Are we now that desperate? Or, would Ditka be an improvement over Blago?
Azabache

United States

#17 Dec 23, 2008
OK...I Believe You!

IronRick for Governor
Mav

Batavia, IL

#19 Dec 23, 2008
DanS wrote:
let's review Mr Ditka's resume:
(1) he was a satisfactory player for his era, but satisfactory is all he was;
(2) he happened to be hired to coach a team that would have progressed to the Super Bowl regardless of who was coach;
(3) his coaching & leadership skills are defined by his tenure in New Orleans;
(4) his temper tantrums are legendary; do we want a governor that exhibits that behavior?
an uninformed electorate proferring solutions of this type are why Illinois is a laughing stock nationally and internationally.
DanS, thanks for the recap of Ditka's resume. I now realize that he too has more experience than Obama.

If the recent presidential election is any precedent, Ditka is more than qualified to be Governor.
Like It Is

Mountville, PA

#20 Dec 23, 2008
You can have Mike Ditka for your birthday! He was an outstanding tight end. A pretty fair coach. But a politician he is not. He surely lacks the proper temperament.
Mr Voter

Country Club Hills, IL

#21 Dec 24, 2008
Mike Dickhead is a jerk and would just make us all the more for jokes, he knows nothing about goverment and cares only about lining his pockets ( might as well bring the felon ryan back ) all he wants is to come to his over priced crap restaurant with his name on anything that will pay him a penny we do not need another jerk as Gov. ....we need some one to address to serious problems we have and he IS not the man to do it. All that will happen is another Gov. going to jail cause his greed will get the best of him or his pig head not bending having a tantrum won't help either....
Iknowthatguy

Oak Brook, IL

#22 Dec 24, 2008
Jesse Ventua, anyone?
Azabache

Hickory Hills, IL

#23 Dec 24, 2008
Just a Reminder. Ditka endorsed McCain/Palin.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burr Ridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lyons, il politics (Mar '07) 5 min Voice Of The Voic... 8,885
Ridgefest and traffic fines 11 hr Jorge 2
Tokar Fest 2017 12 hr foia 12
Review: Asset Recovery Associates ARA Inc 23 hr Eugene Simpson 123 67
What's happening to Berwyn? (Jun '06) Tue RESIDENT 557
Homeless site discovered in forest preserve. (Feb '12) Tue Eatmyshorts 11
Bridgeview IL. Gang Graffiti from blacks and m... (Dec '13) Tue You are the immig... 43

Burr Ridge Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Burr Ridge Mortgages