Cooper Plant to get $324 million facelift

There are 18 comments on the Dec 3, 2008, Commonwealth Journal story titled Cooper Plant to get $324 million facelift. In it, Commonwealth Journal reports that:

John Sherman Cooper Power Station at Burnside will continue to be an important cog in Pulaski County's economic engine for years to come.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Commonwealth Journal.

RECC

Lexington, KY

#4 Dec 3, 2008
All I know is we're about to see a great increase in our bills to pay off that 324 million.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#5 Dec 3, 2008
I'm wondering the same thing, unfortunately..
weel

Lexington, KY

#6 Dec 3, 2008
What kind of work is going to be done at the plant.
superman

Corbin, KY

#7 Dec 3, 2008
RECC wrote:
All I know is we're about to see a great increase in our bills to pay off that 324 million.
Yea thanks to all of the left wing environmental leftist nut jobs.
iconwizard

Moores Hill, IN

#8 Dec 3, 2008
This type of construction has been going on at almost all power plants across the U.S. for the past several years. It is a law that they have to all have this done by, I think, 2016, or something like that.

It involves a lot of work. The plant will likely be about twice the size it is now at the end of construction. I have worked on this same project at about three different powerhouses over the last several years. What it is is building equipment that cleans the smoke that comes out of the boiler and goes out the smokestack. There will most likely be a brand new smokestack or smokestacks built as well.

There will be a lot of people working there, probably several hundred at peak construction. However, it mostly requires skilled labor: Boilermakers, Ironworkers, Pipefitters, electricians, etc. And, I believe, Cooper hires mostly Union labor. But if they cannot get enough men to man the jobs, likely considering it is in Somerset and thus far away from where most of these guys live, they will probably hire some "permit" guys. Haha, but I will tell you, these contractors will not put up with the work habits of many that I have seen around here. They will flat send you down the road in a hurry. But it will be a good job for some and a long job at that. you can probably make a hundred thousand dollars or so if you are a good hand off this job.

I haven't heard anyone from anywhere complain about a big increase on the electric bills from this project, so I don't know exactly how it will effect electric bills. However there are issues coming up that will dramatically increase power bill but these issues are unrelated to these "scrubber" projects.
RECC

Lexington, KY

#9 Dec 3, 2008
Something to improve emmissions. Good for the planet they say. I also heard the amount of energy they can produce will decrease which means our monthly bill will increase.
All for the love of GREEN. The environment that is.
wife

Somerset, KY

#10 Dec 3, 2008
My husband works there and it is a great thing that is about to be built not only will it bring more jobs for somerset during the building of the towers but it will mean more jobs afterward. If you do not know anything about the power plant then just leave it alone and do not say anything about what you do not know.
RECC

Lexington, KY

#11 Dec 3, 2008
wife wrote:
My husband works there and it is a great thing that is about to be built not only will it bring more jobs for somerset during the building of the towers but it will mean more jobs afterward. If you do not know anything about the power plant then just leave it alone and do not say anything about what you do not know.
I say anyone who is a customer should have any say they would like.
I'm with you Superman.
iconwizard

Moores Hill, IN

#12 Dec 3, 2008
Yes, this has something to do with the environmentalists, but it is actually not as much environmentalist as you think. What they want would shut down coal burning power plants completely. Actually, these projects were put in place by the Bush administration.

Cooper is a bad outdated plant the way it is now, and judging by the estimated cost in this article, 300 and some million, I would guess that they are also going to update the boilers. They might be going to make some modifications that will enable the plant to burn a lower grade and cheaper type of coal. I did this at another powerhouse in Indiana a few years ago. This involves a complete overhaul of the plantís coal system
iconwizard

Moores Hill, IN

#13 Dec 3, 2008
RECC wrote:
Something to improve emmissions. Good for the planet they say. I also heard the amount of energy they can produce will decrease which means our monthly bill will increase.
All for the love of GREEN. The environment that is.
No, this does not decrease the wattage output of a unit. Output of a powerhouse depends on the dynamos and the size of the boilers.
RECC

Lexington, KY

#14 Dec 3, 2008
iconwizard wrote:
Yes, this has something to do with the environmentalists, but it is actually not as much environmentalist as you think. What they want would shut down coal burning power plants completely. Actually, these projects were put in place by the Bush administration.
Cooper is a bad outdated plant the way it is now, and judging by the estimated cost in this article, 300 and some million, I would guess that they are also going to update the boilers. They might be going to make some modifications that will enable the plant to burn a lower grade and cheaper type of coal. I did this at another powerhouse in Indiana a few years ago. This involves a complete overhaul of the plantís coal system
Thanks for your great info. Please keep posting as you can keep us informed.
horse

Corbin, KY

#15 Dec 6, 2008
Damn our bill is high enough!!!!!!! Its hydro aint it it should be free.
ky boy

Corbin, KY

#16 Dec 6, 2008
U know this is long overdue and we live right here with this monster! It is right across the lake from burnside elementary, it is by far the biggest pollution hazard in this and surrounding counties. I work at a hospital and I have heard many many doctors talk about the cancers they see around here lung, liver, stomach, and others. Not to mention the charcoal plant also but it is way less than the coal plant. So all you second hand smoke people should concentrate on something like this that emits tons of particulant. We need the power plant I am not against it but they cant build the scrubbers fast enough for me. My electric is already expensive the plant being here doesnt help that I think it all goes somewhere else anyway not here.
iconwizard

AOL

#17 Dec 8, 2008
horse wrote:
Damn our bill is high enough!!!!!!! Its hydro aint it it should be free.
No, it is a coal burning plant. Hoover damn, for example, is a hydro.

To the other poster, yes, power plants send the electric far off. This is necessary because the wattage is too great and has to travel a way so it can be more easily converted to what is needed.

By the way, you here have way less industrial caused cancer than many other places. Where I am from, southeast Indiana, and surrounding area, the cancer rate is astonishing. Half the people I knew in my life died of it, my father included. You simply do not have the industrial base here to create a major source of cancer. What you do have, moreover, is not a big contributer.
iconwizard

AOL

#18 Dec 8, 2008
LOL, sorry, it should be Hoover Dam. Not damn.
ky boy

Corbin, KY

#19 Dec 8, 2008
Yes I guess you are right but I think it needs better pollution control like someone else said it is outdated just by the advances in technology. I would like to go to hoover dam and take the dam tour talk to the dam guide ride the dam elevator eat at the dam cafe and buy some dam T-shirts....
iconwizard wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it is a coal burning plant. Hoover damn, for example, is a hydro.
To the other poster, yes, power plants send the electric far off. This is necessary because the wattage is too great and has to travel a way so it can be more easily converted to what is needed.
By the way, you here have way less industrial caused cancer than many other places. Where I am from, southeast Indiana, and surrounding area, the cancer rate is astonishing. Half the people I knew in my life died of it, my father included. You simply do not have the industrial base here to create a major source of cancer. What you do have, moreover, is not a big contributer.
that_kid_that_ra ps

Somerset, KY

#20 Dec 8, 2008
I still dunno...
scrubber guy

Middlesboro, KY

#21 Oct 22, 2012
wow none of you know what ur talking about... The scrubber is fully operational there are no changes to the boiler no changes for the coal system ... Just a big catalytic converter ... Theres not going to be alot of jobs created if obama and epa has their way half of the plant will close so those people that already work there will work the scrubber ... The electricity does stay local cause other than wolf creek and laurel dams that is all the transmission there is and inorder to keep the voltage up it has to exist... So unless your there dont talk about it... Without it you all would be in the dark ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burnside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 10 min Yes and Amen 136,113
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 28 min Red_Forman 11,055
~~*last post wins*~~ (Mar '11) 32 min Red_Forman 14,928
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 45 min mr goodwrench 25,637
4 word game (Jan '09) 5 hr Trouser Cough 2,123
Somerset is wet, where are the new Restaurants? 6 hr BeefStewie 121
3 word comment - (Oct '09) 11 hr Hatti_Hollerand 6,153
More from around the web

Burnside People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]