Posted in the Burnside Forum

First Prev
of 11
Next Last

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#1 Aug 4, 2011
Lex18 just reported that there is going to be an investigation into the deaths of at least two children who recently died due to suspected neglect after reports had been turned in to Social Services. Investigators are trying to find out if the same workers might have been involved in at least two of these cases. Finally something may be done about the lack of action from the agency that is supposed to be helping to protect the innocent children around here. They are finally taking some action toward what we have all been questioning about the credibility of that agency.

#2 Aug 4, 2011
By the way, Kayden and Staten were both mentioned in the story.
painter

Somerset, KY

#3 Aug 4, 2011
where are these kids from
please

Manchester, KY

#4 Aug 4, 2011
could you post the link so we could watch it
painter

Somerset, KY

#5 Aug 4, 2011
i know two twin boys in stanford who has been abused for the past four years.they will soon be five years old and they were locked in their bedroom and beaten with a belt so bad they had to stand up all day and the social workers in lincoln county has been taking them away and putting them right back in the same mess.their mother tresa hines is in and out of jail all the time for drugs and everything else and they never do anything to her.she lives with todd folger.

#6 Aug 4, 2011
There isn't one yet, but I would think it will be on their site by morning. As soon as it is, I'll post it here.
meee

Huntsville, TN

#7 Aug 4, 2011
about time while they are at it maybe they will investigate some of the judges who rule for the children to go home and refuse to listen to what the workers want done, remember it is a state job, and comes with all the political b.s. you could ever want to hear or see.

#8 Aug 4, 2011
http://www.kentucky.com/2011/08/04/1833971/at...
MONTICELLO The recent beating death of a Wayne County toddler could become an issue in the case against people charged in the 2009 death of another boy in the county who drank drain cleaner at a mobile home where people allegedly used the chemical to make methamphetamine.
The attorney for one man charged in the meth case is seeking confidential state records about the second dead boy. The goal is to confirm whether the same social workers were assigned to protect both boys, according to the motion from public defender James H. Wren II.
Wren said in the motion he has heard rumors that was the case.
Information from the file on the second boy could demonstrate a repeated failure to protect children from death or injury, according to the motion.
That is relevant because a key part of his client's defense in the meth case is that local social workers were criminally negligent, or worse, in failing to protect the child who drank drain cleaner, Wren said in the motion.
Wren's client, Larry Branham grandfather of the boy who died in the meth incident contends he is innocent and instead blames negligence by the social workers in the boy's death, according to the motion.
Two terrible deaths in one small county in a little more than two years, involving the same local office of the Cabinet for Health and Family Services, can't be explained as mistakes or accidents, Wren said.
"Instead .... these records are expected to establish a pattern of criminal behavior in failing to protect Wayne County children at risk," Wren wrote in the motion.
Jill Midkiff, spokeswoman for the cabinet, said Wednesday that state officials had not seen the motion and so could not comment.
The two cases at issue involve the deaths of Kayden Shawn Branham and Staten Stephenson.
Kayden, 20 months old, died of respiratory failure on May 30, 2009, soon after he drank Liquid Fire drain cleaner from a cup sitting on a table at a trailer where he and his mother, Alisha Branham, then 14, had been staying.
The caustic chemical can be used in making meth. Several people allegedly had made meth at the trailer earlier on the day Kayden drank the chemical.
State records show social workers had been monitoring the welfare of the boy and his mother since he was born.
The two had been assigned to live with Alisha's mother, Melissa Branham.
However, Alisha later said she moved to the trailer outside Monticello which her father, Larry Branham, rented about a month before Kayden died because there was no food, water or electricity at her mother's house.
The state file on Kayden showed there was an indication Melissa Branham tampered with her urine sample in two mandated drug tests in 2008, and social workers had repeated difficulty getting her to show up for drug tests in 2008 and 2009.
The Lexington Herald-Leader filed a lawsuit to get records on Kayden.
Social workers had ample reason to remove the teen mother and her son from Melissa Branham's home before the boy died, attorneys involved in the case have said.

#9 Aug 4, 2011
A grand jury indicted Kayden's father, Bryan Daniels, then 19, and others on charges of murder, making meth, drug endangerment of a child and taking part in organized crime. Daniels and the others have pleaded not guilty.
The grand jury charged Larry Branham with complicity to make meth, endangering a child and engaging in organized crime.
The prosecutor, Matthew Leveridge, said Wednesday that Wren and other defense attorneys can pursue other arguments, but the fact is, Kayden died as a result of a meth lab.
The trial in the case is scheduled next month.
Staten the 18-month-old child whose records Wren is seeking died July 26. An autopsy showed he had been beaten; among other injuries, his skull was fractured and his stomach was perforated, according to a court record.
His mother, Karla Lord, 20, and her boyfriend, Jared Futrell, 19, have been charged with murder.
A detective said that no one else had an opportunity to hurt the child and that Lord and Futrell could not explain the injuries.
The two have pleaded not guilty.
Wren said he has no specific information about any state records on Staten but that "rumor intelligence" he's gotten indicates social workers Ashley and Brandy Dobbs were assigned as protective workers for him or knew of the need to provide him protection.
Those workers also were involved in Kayden's case, according to the motion.
Wren is seeking an order for prosecutors to tell Circuit Judge Vernon Miniard whether the cabinet was assigned to protect Staten.
If so, Miniard should order the state to turn over the confidential file for use in defending Branham, Wren said.
Miniard could deny the motion.
Wren also filed a motion Wednesday seeking an order to bar Melissa Branham from trying to intimidate her and Larry Branham's oldest daughter, Jessica.
Melissa Branham recently tried to intimidate Jessica Bran ham from testifying for her father, Wren said in the motion.
Larry and Melissa Bran ham are divorced.
Wren said he would withdraw the motion if the prosecutor would confirm that he has told Melissa Branham not to discuss potential testimony and that he has told Branham not to do things that could be seen as intimidating, such as taking her daughter's property without permission or denigrating Larry Branham.
meeeee

United States

#11 Aug 5, 2011
sounds like the meth makers and child abusers should be in prison. i dont blame the social workers, i blame the people who did it.
lovesmybaby

Somerset, KY

#12 Aug 5, 2011
meeeee wrote:
sounds like the meth makers and child abusers should be in prison. i dont blame the social workers, i blame the people who did it.
i think yes, it is the social workers responibility that when someone is not capable of taking care of themself or their children, they do something about it. its obvious the branham mother nor daughter were capable of taking care of themselves and d*mn sure not able to care for a child.
Sun Bunny

Somerset, KY

#13 Aug 5, 2011
Everyone blames Social Service but if they come and take your kids because of a report, what does everyone do blame Social Service. No one is ever happy. They can only do so much because they have to follow guidelines. If it meets criteria then they can act on it. Parents and drug heads need to take responsibility for their actions, drug use and abuse instead of always putting the blame on someone else. I am sure Social Service didn't make you take those drugs or abuse or neglect your children. Be responsible adults, grow up and get clean and be a parent.
Westwood

United States

#14 Aug 5, 2011
This is a cop-out by the defense attorney. The following two paragraphs are key to whole investigation:
"-----a key part of his client's defense in the meth case is that local social workers were criminally negligent, or worse, in failing to protect the child who drank drain cleaner, Wren said in the motion.

Wren's client, Larry Branham grandfather of the boy who died in the meth incident contends he is innocent and instead blames negligence by the social workers in the boy's death, according to the motion."

Perfect case of a defense attorney trying to justify the murderers' defense. Blame it on someone else. He also knows that people will jump on the ol' "Blame it on Social Services" bandwagon.
I sometimes (most of the time) think that Social Services should be disbanded. Put the responsibility back where it belongs. I wonder who the defense attorney would blame it on then.

They all should fry.
lovesmybaby

Somerset, KY

#15 Aug 5, 2011
Sun Bunny wrote:
Everyone blames Social Service but if they come and take your kids because of a report, what does everyone do blame Social Service. No one is ever happy. They can only do so much because they have to follow guidelines. If it meets criteria then they can act on it. Parents and drug heads need to take responsibility for their actions, drug use and abuse instead of always putting the blame on someone else. I am sure Social Service didn't make you take those drugs or abuse or neglect your children. Be responsible adults, grow up and get clean and be a parent.
Obviously someone blamed the parent oh so smart one. do you think they called social services and told them they were on drugs UH NO!! Someone else reported them and social services did not do justice to those babies.
observer1

Versailles, KY

#16 Aug 5, 2011
It is a job and with that comes responsibility to do the job. If they investigated and written any case file on these 2 children/familites, it will also show what actions were taken.
Does a store owner keep a gal of spoiled milk on the shelf or keep it on the shelf to sell?

The issue is was the Workers doing their job duties as they were hired?
Did they obey the laws on such cases?

Employees get tired/burned out or too comfortable in the office, and overloaded with job duties that they lapse judgement. The job description is written for a reason, laws are written for a reason.

IF there was lack of responsibility of an employeee to do that job, the state should eliminate them from the payroll.

WOW! government needs to cutback economically, this might be in the right direction to cut back at Cabinet for Family Services.

I am not blaming them for the deaths, but their job description is questionable in both these cases.
confused

Somerset, KY

#17 Aug 5, 2011
i am currently going to school for human services for this reason sorry but it doesnt matter how it makes the parents look if they are putting their habbits infront their childrens needs they need to be taken out of the home and not put back until the parents show complete recovery!!!! and yes it can be done the guidelines are strict enough that it can happen the only problem is the workers dont want to do their job...
missing something

Manchester, KY

#18 Aug 5, 2011
Westwood wrote:
This is a cop-out by the defense attorney. The following two paragraphs are key to whole investigation:
"-----a key part of his client's defense in the meth case is that local social workers were criminally negligent, or worse, in failing to protect the child who drank drain cleaner, Wren said in the motion.
Wren's client, Larry Branham grandfather of the boy who died in the meth incident contends he is innocent and instead blames negligence by the social workers in the boy's death, according to the motion."
Perfect case of a defense attorney trying to justify the murderers' defense. Blame it on someone else. He also knows that people will jump on the ol' "Blame it on Social Services" bandwagon.
I sometimes (most of the time) think that Social Services should be disbanded. Put the responsibility back where it belongs. I wonder who the defense attorney would blame it on then.
They all should fry.
This paper seems to state that they were appointed to lookout for the child. Wouldn't that also be interpreted that there were prior incidents involving neglect.
Sharon

Wartburg, TN

#19 Aug 5, 2011
Some times little ones crying upsets boyfriend who is on a high and bad things happen.
Missing

Somerset, KY

#20 Aug 5, 2011
missing something wrote:
<quoted text>This paper seems to state that they were appointed to lookout for the child. Wouldn't that also be interpreted that there were prior incidents involving neglect.
See post #123 in thread Standing for Staten and you might find whats missing.
lets tell truth

Manchester, KY

#21 Aug 5, 2011
I dont think quote Being high causes someone to beat children! The people that beat on children are messed up in their brains! Drugs is just a easy excuse! It would take a total mental retard to beat on little children!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burnside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 6 min What if 136,623
Drug problem 1 hr clean 11
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 2 hr Trouser Cough 25,826
4 word game (Jan '09) 3 hr Trouser Cough 2,142
This or That? (May '11) 6 hr Doobie Time 1,440
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 6 hr Doobie Time 11,106
3 word comment - (Oct '09) 6 hr Doobie Time 6,178
More from around the web

Burnside People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]