Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 138187 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#112071 Aug 31, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't see any evidence of this soul thing... My position is on a point of law... a fetus by definition is a Human Being in that if someone kicks a woman in the belly and kills her fetus as 3 weeks gestation they can be arrested, prosecuted, and convicted of homicide... Unjustifiable Homicide is the killing of a human being by another human being... Therefore the fetus by definition is a human being... So I am against the unjustified homicide of Any human being so I am Pro Life with the caveat of Legal Justification...
What about an embryo?

Or rather... When does it become not ok?

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Somerset, KY

#112072 Aug 31, 2013
EmpAtheist wrote:
<quoted text>
What about an embryo?
Or rather... When does it become not ok?
It becomes ok when the law defines it as not human and no one can be charged with homicide for killing it...

That's pretty simple... If a person kills one and can be charged with homicide that is when it's not ok...

At this time there are people in prison for killing a fetus as young as a couple week so that is the time abortion becomes Homicide..

If any person in the US is ever charged for Homicide of a invitro embryo then that sets the definition of All such embryo's as Humans and become protected via homicide laws....

At any point in development anyone is charged with Homicide that sets the legal definition as Human and deserves legal protection by existing homicide laws...

Location hidden

#112073 Aug 31, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
It becomes ok when the law defines it as not human and no one can be charged with homicide for killing it...
That's pretty simple... If a person kills one and can be charged with homicide that is when it's not ok...
At this time there are people in prison for killing a fetus as young as a couple week so that is the time abortion becomes Homicide..
If any person in the US is ever charged for Homicide of a invitro embryo then that sets the definition of All such embryo's as Humans and become protected via homicide laws....
At any point in development anyone is charged with Homicide that sets the legal definition as Human and deserves legal protection by existing homicide laws...
That is an interesting thought. Hmmm.

I think the charges should be different but it would be devastating to lose a child when you plan on having it.

I never realized that! I will have to look into it

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#112074 Aug 31, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite the moralist, aren't you Q?
A couple week old fetus is not viable outside of the womb. By religie rationale, a brain dead human who is not viable without life support can NEVER EVER EVER have the plug pulled - even with a living will. A condom is a death sentence for a soul who was never conceived - shall we execute the makers of Trojan for the High Crime of mass murder?
If a law is written that deems it unconstitutional to "force" children to attend school because it violates their liberties, you would okay with that - because it is defined as such by a law.
A powerful lobby group that can have all taxes waived for a special interest - such as an insurance company, a pharmaceutical lab or a brokerage firm is above reproach for not paying taxes - because they can have the law construed in their financial favor. By your reckoning that is right, just and good - because (their bought and paid for) law says it is.
I don't worship the Bible, and I'll be damned if I'll worship the G.D. government, either.

Somerset, KY

#112075 Aug 31, 2013
EmpAtheist wrote:
<quoted text>
That is an interesting thought. Hmmm.
I think the charges should be different but it would be devastating to lose a child when you plan on having it.
I never realized that! I will have to look into it
It's just my view of how laws should be viewed... If a fetus at what ever age of development is not considered human and not covered via homicide laws then every person that has been charged with homicide of a fetus of the age group should have the charges dropped...

For example Francisco Xavier Martinez, 36 was charged with Murder after he caused a wreck and the mother in another car was injured and the fetus died...

The prosecutor McCallister stated "Under state law, a person can be charged with the murder of an unborn child as long as the fetus is seven to eight weeks old. The baby that was killed was a 5-month-old girl."

So the Fetus is given in that state a status of Human Being and is protected under the Homicide laws so any Abortion in that state of a fetus older than seven weeks gestation should be protected under Homicide laws and as such require court justification, including prosecution to determine the complicity to commit homicide of all significant others, doctors, nurses and counselors that aided in the mothers wish to commit said homicide...
Abrahammmmm

Somerset, KY

#112076 Aug 31, 2013
EmpAtheist wrote:
I am pro choice.... But I understand the concern depending what you feel is important between a possible soul and when a fetus receives it... A nervous system and when it receives it... When it is technically a human... Or maybe just the idea that it will eventually become a thinking breathing human being.
I'm interested in what everyone thinks in detail.
My opinion on it is the Earth is over populated and abortions should be free. No late term abortions that the pro life people love to put on their signs for the shock factor. I'm pro choice and for abortions in early pregnancies.

Abortions are not cheap and most people can not afford one. They end up having a child they don't want, that isn't raised in a good environment and is a strain on the welfare system. People who live in poverty are more willing to commit crimes that other wise the wouldn't have. If I was broke I would sell drugs before I let my children go without, most people would.

Personally I think everyone should be put on birth control and you should have to meet certain requirements before you can reproduce. I think that would solve a lot of problems but that's just my opinion. I think anyone receiving government assistance should be required to be on some type of BC until they get back on their feet.

Somerset, KY

#112077 Aug 31, 2013
Abrahammmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
My opinion on it is the Earth is over populated and abortions should be free. No late term abortions that the pro life people love to put on their signs for the shock factor. I'm pro choice and for abortions in early pregnancies.
Abortions are not cheap and most people can not afford one. They end up having a child they don't want, that isn't raised in a good environment and is a strain on the welfare system. People who live in poverty are more willing to commit crimes that other wise the wouldn't have. If I was broke I would sell drugs before I let my children go without, most people would.
Personally I think everyone should be put on birth control and you should have to meet certain requirements before you can reproduce. I think that would solve a lot of problems but that's just my opinion. I think anyone receiving government assistance should be required to be on some type of BC until they get back on their feet.
Your Chinese aren't ya.....

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#112078 Aug 31, 2013
TheColoringBookVendor wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the first Gulf War when Saddam invaded Kuwait, pretty well led into the rest of it all.
C-A-T-A-L-Y-S-T.
You might know these things if you weren't so blindly bigoted against literary education.
And excuuuuuuuuuuuse me, but Simpleton bigots like you take Such energy sometime.
I have understood from the start of your claims, you think what saddam did that caused the first war is an excuse to invade a second time. What your thick head does not compute is, it is a shit excuse.
SisatNoneYa

London, KY

#112079 Aug 31, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>

I don't worship the Bible, and I'll be damned if I'll worship the G.D. government, either.
Cool-because "Legalism" can be just as extreme as any other extreme "zealotry".

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#112080 Aug 31, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you misunderstand me... I am against abortion because it is unjustified homicide and I was not making a touchy feely save the poor little children appeal...
"I was not making a touchy feely." That was apparent. No misunderstanding there.
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text> Man should not commit unjustified homicide of other human beings anywhere in the world...
I think it hinges on your definition of "unjustified."
It's a flexible word.
Human beings justify all kinds of things.
Just look at terrorists. Look at Yaa.
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text> That does not mean the the US should become the enforcers of that view globally... Nor should we bear the responsibility of making others dependent classes as we have in several locations on the planet....
I can agree with that wholeheartedly.
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text> If you live in a country and find yourself in a land where the culture allows children to be strapped with a bomb to kill others and mothers are allowed to be beaten for showing an ankle that's really bad, Im agin it...
Once more, I agree.
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text> But for a change let France handle it...
That would be nice.
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text> Not my problem...
It's everyone's problem...but realistically, few of us can actually do anything about it.
SisatNoneYa

London, KY

#112081 Aug 31, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I have understood from the start of your claims, you think what saddam did that caused the first war is an excuse to invade a second time. What your thick head does not compute is, it is a shit excuse.
I think had Saddam not invaded Kuwait, which was a catalyst of "opportunity" for bin_laden and his hatred of the west AND Israel to fester even more, we might not have been in EITHER situation.

AND-I don't think we should've EVER stepped a foot in Libya, contributing and aiding and abetting to IT's now FAILED statehood and terrorist take over by al qaeda/Ansar al-Sharia. As far as Syria, I think INTERPOL should arrest Assad IF it can be even proven that Assad implemented the chemical weapons, and let his own country trial him. Just like what was done with Saddam.
The BIG difference being, Assad has NOT invaded another country-NOR had Quadafi.

Should ANY of them threaten Israel or surrounding smaller countries with anything, then there's plenty of back up ALREADY there, now isn't there.

Otherwise, routine monitoring on the conditions of basic humanitary conditions seems appropriate.

It's THEIR "war", NOT ours. They've turmoiled themselves via barbaric anarchy and ruined their own countries, NOT us.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112082 Aug 31, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You're free to think what you want
Just a few plausible explanations. The sort that are extremely superstitious tend to look straight to the supernatural. Note how YaA thinks the ONLY explanation for the bullets is to magically pass through his head.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112083 Aug 31, 2013
SisatNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
I think had Saddam not invaded Kuwait, which was a catalyst of "opportunity" for bin_laden and his hatred of the west AND Israel to fester even more, we might not have been in EITHER situation.
AND-I don't think we should've EVER stepped a foot in Libya, contributing and aiding and abetting to IT's now FAILED statehood and terrorist take over by al qaeda/Ansar al-Sharia. As far as Syria, I think INTERPOL should arrest Assad IF it can be even proven that Assad implemented the chemical weapons, and let his own country trial him. Just like what was done with Saddam.
The BIG difference being, Assad has NOT invaded another country-NOR had Quadafi.
Should ANY of them threaten Israel or surrounding smaller countries with anything, then there's plenty of back up ALREADY there, now isn't there.
Otherwise, routine monitoring on the conditions of basic humanitary conditions seems appropriate.
It's THEIR "war", NOT ours. They've turmoiled themselves via barbaric anarchy and ruined their own countries, NOT us.
Well that is some speculation, and I think some of it is possibly true, but it has no bearing on reasons given for invading Iraq. It is not why we invaded Iraq, unless their is some big secret Bush is holding on to.

Yes Bin Laden did get angry about the US invading Iraq. He gets upset about any interventions by Christians in Muslim lands. He got pissed at Saddam for invading Kuwait.
Well I suppose he did not get upset when Reagan gave him weapons...but it is not beyond theists to be hypocritical and have double standards.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#112084 Aug 31, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Btw, the bible says the crime Moses punished the three thousand men women and children for was worshiping a god.
Now we here in America see a need for freedom to worship any god one chooses, but Moses is against freedom of religion.

This is the equivalent of Muslims killing Christians for simply being Christians.
Different people. Different times. Different laws.
Of course Moses was against freedom of religion. He freed the Hebrews, who were all worshipers of The Lord. It's not like he freed a diverse set of people mixed with different religious backgrounds. This is not the same as Muslims killing Christians. Im not sure how you see it that way. They didn't invade another territory and wage war.

This was a group that all believed the same, and then decided to change when Moses didn't come back for a while. These were some weak people that were ready to change beliefs to whatever whim hit them next. This is why they could not follow the higher law.

Location hidden

#112085 Aug 31, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>But you are side-stepping my entire point.

The point is god - being a perfect creator - has no reason to go through this elaborate ruse. He has no reason to create such flawed beings in the first place. It is logically flawed, and god is a logical being according to virtually all Christian theology.

You have constructed an argument that is immune to all criticism because you allow for all explanations to be conveniently beyond our immediate grasp. And the basis is faith alone.

At least admit that your position is irrational.
Of course He had reason to create us. Just like the reason we have children: to continue our species and have joy with a family. We are His children. We know our children are going to mess up, a lot, but that doesn't keep us from having children. We know they will be exposed to even more crap than we were exposed to, but we choose to have children anyway. I'm not sure where your logic is in that statement.

Why is my position irrational just because you can't refute it, or understand it?
You are God's child, whether you accept it or not.

Location hidden

#112086 Aug 31, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Okey dokey. I guess revelations can change due to politics. Weird how god seems to be so hamstrung by human foibles. You would have thought that if plural marriage was something god wanted you to do he could have found a way to make sure you could do it.

It's almost as if...almost like...he isn't there at all!

Nah, perish the thought.
Wasn't about politics, it was about furthering the church and building Zion in preparation for the return of Jesus Christ. Plural marriage served its purpose at that time and was no longer necessary. Nor do I think the majority could practice it without lust interfering (my opinion).

It isn't that surprising to me that they had to move away from persecution and set up house in the middle of a desert, and still people jacked with them. It's pretty similar to Moses' story. God could have killed all the Egyptians and let the Hebrews stay there and kick their feet up in homes already built. God doesn't have a history of handing things over to the saints with no effort of their own. Again I think it is because they wouldn't appreciate it as much.

Location hidden

#112087 Aug 31, 2013
Abrahammmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Although I acknowledge the last part of your message is not going to happen and shouldn't.... I still agree. Lol

I wouldn't actually want that... but I think the world would be a better place as a result. Its just wrong.

Location hidden

#112088 Aug 31, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>My grandmother was a real person. So there's a big difference there. Did god ever once make you cookies?

Yes, I know people take this seriously. That's why I don't walk around saying "god dammit" all the time. But people need to get past that sort of superstitious nonsense. So we need a few "GDs" here and there, just to remind them.
You are not able to see that this is not superstition for others. It may be to you, but not to the people that it offends. You obviously missed my point.
No, the world does not need more profanity. It does not need more hate. It does not need more things to steer children wrong or desensitize them. It doesn't need more sex on regular prime time TV. It doesn't need more people that smoke in restaurants while you are trying to eat.
The attitude you have about this subject means you don't care what offends others so you are just going to be offensive wherever you want. This is selfish. If that's what you want to be, no one can stop you. Go for it. I give up.
With this mentality, nudists should have the right to do their thing in Walmart.

My opinion is that people should be considerate of others, and friendly, as this tends to brighten people's day. I believe there should be a broad effort to be nicer to those we come in contact with. Sorry you don't agree.

Location hidden

#112089 Aug 31, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>I went to church a few times a year. And many different ones, which I'm thankful for. I got saved when I was a teen. Had my Jesus years. I've casually studied the Bible, including reading the Pentateuch among others.

I am NOT an expert. But I am not ignorant either.

Since I have been inside the fold, as it were, I can safely argue that you are wrong here. I do understand it. I was there. And I got out.

If you want to say that I was never a "real" Christian, then welcome to the No True Scotsman Fallacy Club.

My whole point was that the Bible sends mixed messages. The idea that it is a unified whole is ludicrous unless you want to employ the weird methods of Ancient Interpretation in which you can basically read anything into it that you desire.

Like Michael Jackson.
I spent 3 semesters in Chemistry labs too, and had several biology and physics classes too, but that doesn't make me a scientist.

Sorry, but I've seen your interpretations of Bible stories. Remember?

The scriptures were not meant to be confusing and vague. This was the effect of Satan's influence to confuse people and lead God's children astray. Hence the need for a prophet to clarify and rectify.

Location hidden

#112090 Aug 31, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>When did Adam give anyone a "higher law"? I don't remember that part. Can you post the verse of Genesis where this happens?

What wicked did the babies do on earth? Can you cite the verses where these wicked deeds are named?
Adam was taught the law after building the altar to worship The Lord. This is how there were High Priests in the OT.

Babies did nothing. Their parents were the sinners.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burnside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 5 hr Red_Forman 11,199
Car detailing shop recommendations? 9 hr gladthelakeisback 5
~~*last post wins*~~ (Mar '11) 10 hr Maverick 808 14,980
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 12 hr gladthelakeisback 26,360
Gas prices 13 hr pricespike 22
MBI truck drivers (Aug '08) 16 hr Smartass 56
the music thread (Jan '12) 18 hr _Dumpling_ 473
More from around the web

Burnside People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE