Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,662

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#84856 Feb 1, 2013
Gotta run. BlueBloods is coming on. I will check back later. If not, have a peaceful evening and stay warm.
need it too

AOL

#84857 Feb 1, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
For Hempburn:
Record-setting asteroid to shave past Earth next month
An asteroid about half the size of a football field will zoom past Earth on Feb. 15, closer than the man-made satellites that power GPS, says NASA.
“This is a record-setting close approach,” Don Yeomans of NASA’s Near Earth Object Program at JPL said in a video released by NASA this week. Yeomans, however, emphasized that the asteroid, designated 2012DA14, won’t hit Earth.
“It will come interestingly close, closer than many man-made satellites,” he said.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/01/31/rec...
half as close to earth as the moon ,....
maybe the myans were not wrong -after all ,...
just off by a few weeks

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#84858 Feb 1, 2013
I have a computer operated/electronic telescope here. I'm going to practice with and tweak it beforehand to see if I can speed it's response time to coincide with this asteroids flight path. It should be interesting!! If I can get the coordinates right, maybe.... Just maybe.... I've never gotten it to follow an object going at that speed before, so I don't know if it's able to or not.

Hope it's a clear sky that night.

#84859 Feb 1, 2013
I just got out the manual to see if it had that capability. So far I'm not hopeful that it can keep up.. I'm gonna give it heck though, as long as the sky is willing and my hands don't freeze up too much to work the hand held remote anyway. At the very least, maybe I can get a closer look at it for a few seconds at a time. I suppose it would also depend on any moonlight, etc..

The article says that either the highly experienced or lucky stargazers might get a peek at it. I'm going to have to depend on the "lucky" part, hehe! I'm surely not highly experienced by any means.. It's just a fun hobby.
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#84860 Feb 1, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
For Hempburn:
Record-setting asteroid to shave past Earth next month
An asteroid about half the size of a football field will zoom past Earth on Feb. 15, closer than the man-made satellites that power GPS, says NASA.
“This is a record-setting close approach,” Don Yeomans of NASA’s Near Earth Object Program at JPL said in a video released by NASA this week. Yeomans, however, emphasized that the asteroid, designated 2012DA14, won’t hit Earth.
“It will come interestingly close, closer than many man-made satellites,” he said.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/01/31/rec...
Impact of an asteroid that size would wreak havoc on the entire planet. The crater of one a third it's size now has the town of Middlesboro in it. I hope it passes by in a area we can view it.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#84861 Feb 1, 2013
Hello Nope, Hempburn could probably give you some pointers on the telescope. He is a sky watcher too.

I hope you are having a warm evening. We are under another winter storm warning until Sunday afternoon. Some more of that white stuff. lol
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#84862 Feb 1, 2013
Hempburn wrote:
<quoted text>
Impact of an asteroid that size would wreak havoc on the entire planet. The crater of one a third it's size now has the town of Middlesboro in it. I hope it passes by in a area we can view it.
Me too. I would love to see it. I would imagine there is a livestream through a NASA site or somewhere if you don't have the equipment to see clearly. Feb 15th, I will have to mark that on my calendar.

#84863 Feb 1, 2013
I could USE some "pointers"!!
Pun there? Yep!!
I had forgotten that Hemp was into stargazing too! Thanks AB!

Sometimes this thing is a little bit intimidating. It has a hand help programming pad that's a little difficult to manage, but I have been able to see some pretty awesome things. What I would really like to do is purchase a filter for seeing the full moon. The light of a full moon is too intense for the lenses I have..

I'd also like to purchase an adapter to hook my digital camera up to the view finder..

So Hemp, if you're willing and on a night when my brain isn't too foggy, maybe you can give me some advice, if you'd not mind?

Tonight I'm too weary. I had a busy day here and am too tired to list all of the technical specs of my telescope, hehe.
WKG

Chicago, IL

#84864 Feb 1, 2013
McConnell joins backers of Kentucky industrial hemp bill; Rogers still opposes

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/201301...

The two most senior members of Kentucky’s federal congressional delegation have taken opposite sides in the debate over legalizing industrial hemp in Kentucky.

U.S. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell announced Thursday that he is supporting the effort to legalize the product —saying he’s been convinced of its economic potential for Kentucky’s farmers and his state’s economy.

But U.S. Rep. Hal Rogers, the 5th District Republican who chairs the House Appropriations Committee, said in a statement later in the day that he remains unconvinced that the economic potential outweighs the concerns of law enforcement.

Kentucky Senate Bill 50, pushed by state Agriculture Commissioner James Comer, would allow production of industrial hemp if the federal government reclassified the plant as separate from marijuana.

Hemp seeds produce plants with less than 1 percent THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, which has between 3 percent and 15 percent THC.
The Kentucky State Police oppose the bill, saying it would make enforcement efforts against marijuana, which looks identical to hemp, more difficult. Also opposing the bill are the Kentucky Narcotic Officers’ Association and Operation UNITE, an Eastern Kentucky drug eradication group founded by Rogers.

Besides McConnell, a Republican, the bill is backed by U.S. Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., U.S. Rep. John Yarmuth, D-3rd District, and U.S. Rep. Thomas Massie, R-4th District, all three of whom are scheduled to testify Feb. 11 before the Senate Agriculture Committee........

#84865 Feb 1, 2013
Kentucky is doomed to remain 50 years behind in the times. It's been that way since I first started to notice it as a kid, and it will be that way loooong after I'm gone. This state will have a very hard time being able to catch up at this point and time. It will take generations to pull it off.

What I used to consider part of the Kentucky charm, I now see as pure stubbornness toward anything progressive..

I'm SO thankful I chose to move back here only after I no longer needed to depend on our local mindset or economy to support myself. Sad to say that out loud, but it's true...

#84866 Feb 1, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too. I would love to see it. I would imagine there is a livestream through a NASA site or somewhere if you don't have the equipment to see clearly. Feb 15th, I will have to mark that on my calendar.
Yes! There IS a site for that! I viewed the last meteor shower on it in real time after I froze half to death out there for an hour, LOL!. If I've got it bookmarked I'll post it. If not, I'll hunt it down for you!

I might have a better time viewing it that way myself. This telescope I have can be laptop/computer linked, so it will be on anyway, ROFLMBO!!

#84867 Feb 1, 2013
This is a pretty interesting site, by the way:
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-...

It talks about the DA14 Asteroid in pretty good detail.
Thank You

Louisa, KY

#84868 Feb 1, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Kentucky is doomed to remain 50 years behind in the times. It's been that way since I first started to notice it as a kid, and it will be that way loooong after I'm gone. This state will have a very hard time being able to catch up at this point and time. It will take generations to pull it off.
What I used to consider part of the Kentucky charm, I now see as pure stubbornness toward anything progressive..
I'm SO thankful I chose to move back here only after I no longer needed to depend on our local mindset or economy to support myself. Sad to say that out loud, but it's true...
You know partner and I have thought the Hopkinsville area might be nice place to live. But we've decided financially when to move it'll most likely be a state like Arizona: camping, fishing, horses. Daughter wants a white horse.Hehe. You have the progression part right. It's so hard to believe the state produces Bourbon you know. The fanatical naysayers against alcohol. The state seems stuck in Prohibition times when drinking went underground. If a hemp business could flourish, I'm for it 100 percent. I wish you luck with that new telescope. I cannot wait to get a camera that will get shots of the moon;)
Misty eye

Louisa, KY

#84869 Feb 1, 2013
Partner passing through Oklahoma on his way to Washington state. Can't wait for Spring. Fresh honey, I know. Hehe. Dad's extractor came the other day. Boy, he'll be proud. I like seeing him enjoy his retirement. It's really nice:)
Misty eye

Louisa, KY

#84870 Feb 1, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes! There IS a site for that! I viewed the last meteor shower on it in real time after I froze half to death out there for an hour, LOL!. If I've got it bookmarked I'll post it. If not, I'll hunt it down for you!
I might have a better time viewing it that way myself. This telescope I have can be laptop/computer linked, so it will be on anyway, ROFLMBO!!
Thanks, you've helped several of us passing on that info. I bookmarked this site as well;)

#84871 Feb 1, 2013
Misty eye wrote:
Partner passing through Oklahoma on his way to Washington state. Can't wait for Spring. Fresh honey, I know. Hehe. Dad's extractor came the other day. Boy, he'll be proud. I like seeing him enjoy his retirement. It's really nice:)
That's the only type of honey I'll purchase. Raw and unprocessed.

I've had this telescope for probably two years now. But for viewing in my area, I'm in the middle of the woods. So when it's warm, I have trees in the way. When the leaves fall, it's too dang cold, hehe!

I'm a wuss in the frigid temps. My bones ache to badly due to Arther Itis and his ever present entourage of groupies.

I've had a few lucky nights viewing though! It's always hit and miss when there is something in the sky for me to view. My luck tends to lean toward the sad fact that it's going to be an overcast night about 80% of the time..

(I rarely play the Lotto either.. I'm just not one of those naturally lucky people. ROFLMBO)!!

#84872 Feb 1, 2013
Misty eye wrote:
<quoted text> Thanks, you've helped several of us passing on that info. I bookmarked this site as well;)
Thanks, and you're very welcome!

I'm still searching for that live feed site though. I'm just getting too tired now to keep running down links... I think I'll call it a night and continue the search tomorrow. It was really a nice camera and view they had set up for the meteor shower a month or so ago.

I'll talk to you all tomorrow.

Goodnight!
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#84873 Feb 1, 2013
Misty Eyed wrote:
<quoted text> I'm thinking he's thinking of you with no clothes. Hahaha. With that hair letting things poke out;) ;) It's called hide and peak...he 's thinking ...Gosh, she's sexy. I'd keep it and trim it as long as it's healthy and not giving you headaches from the length and thickness. Men tell on themselves when it comes to what they really like in a woman or love. Hey, the older you get and things start falling and failing you will know exactly what I mean. LOL.
hahaha! yes gravity is an evil old little troll with a deplorable sense of humor..lol

we have been having the hair fight for the better part of a decade now... he wont let me cut my hair and i wont let him keep a stash (it breaks my face out)... we both act as tho we are doing these things for each other but really... i like to keep my hair longer so i have something to work with and he aint got the patience to sit around trimming up a perfect stash. he has to keep a clean shave for work anyway and would rather just shave it all off than spend the time manicuring. but be that as it may, we still bicker and wanh back and forth about how unfair it is for the other to ask these things :)
you know... we drive each other crazy to keep each other sain.....

we ran into my mother inlaw in price-less today and i asked if she wanted to come eat lunch with us. she asked where we were thinking of going and he replied," i dont know we havent decided yet... but i can tell you its not going to be where i want to go..."
touche honey touche.... lol
WKG

Chicago, IL

#84874 Feb 1, 2013
Charles Stanley (Sermon Following Virginia Tech Shooting)(1 hour)

&fe ature=youtube_gdata_player
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#84875 Feb 1, 2013
looks like i missed everybody....

had fun reading up about everybodys furry family members.
i see some really great pet owners at work but i also see first hand how awful people can be to animals. we get a lot of dogs and cats with their collars embedded in their necks and some on the brink of starvation and even this time of year, anemic from horrible flea infestations. breaks my heart that anyone could put gods creations thru the things they do. i got to go on a call to animal control with my boss not to long ago to help hold down a miniature poodle who bore a striking resemblance to my Joe. they found her half starved and covered in thick mats with twigs and briers all stuck in the mats. when we did finally get her all cleaned up we realized that she had a really bad abcess on her shoulder. once we got it open and were cleaning it up we realized she had been shot with a pellet gun, obviously up close because it had managed to penetrate her skin like that. i couldn't help it i was beside myself balling like a baby. so sad. all the while she was so sweet to us and thankful be getting some love and attention and just happy to have some food and be out of the cold.

the ones who come in with truly pampered pets are borderline insufferable to talk to sometimes, asking a thousand and one questions but they give me hope in humanity also. Ghandi said you can judge the character of a nation by how they treat animals.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burnside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 9 min Commietator 7,403
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 11 min Crazy Jae 1,075
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 18 min pusherman_ 131,116
4 word game (Jan '09) 37 min whatimeisit 1,881
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Le Jimbo 155,561
Somerset mayor, Keck or Girdler? 1 hr Gomer-ez 45
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 5 hr whatimeisit 10,333
Burnside Dating
Find my Match

Burnside Jobs

Burnside People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Burnside News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Burnside

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]