*******if your over 40 is it too late...

Since: May 12

Lexington, KY

#41 May 24, 2012
I started college courses when I was 30. I was a single parent of two children and my parents were caring for them most of the time. I worked 40 plus hours a week at a local manufacturing facility and went to school full time. By the time I got home my kids would be in bed. After my first semester I decided to quit because I wasn't spending enough time with my kids and my parents were unhealthy. 18 years later this bad economy caused my position to be eliminated. Suddenly unemployed, I decided to go back to school to continue my education while I was on unemployment. I received grants for the first two semesters then the government decided to count unemployment as income so I was no longer entitled to grants. I continued with school loans. Now,$10,000 in school loan debt, the government decided to stop all unemployment benefits for those who are on extended benefits regardless of how much is left to draw. My income went from barely making my bills to loosing everything and on the verge of being homeless. Now, I can not continue my classes because I have to do something to afford to keep a home, much less eat every day! Unemployment in Pulaski County is 10.4%. With thousands unemployed in this area it is hard to find a job. Is it to late to go to school? NO! Is the government making it easy? NO!

“laugh more”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#42 May 24, 2012
college girls are sexy I don't care if they are over 40. never slow down you never grow old...keep living people
Living in 2012

Somerset, KY

#43 May 24, 2012
Hmmm wrote:
I'm over 40 and in college finishing what I started 25 years ago. I am a straight 'A' student. I wasn't a straight 'A' student in high school or during my first go round of college at age 18. I'm wiser and smarter from life experiences, life no longer only revolves around me, and I take school more seriously at this age.
Learning is lifelong, you're never too old.
cool
Living in 2012

Somerset, KY

#44 May 24, 2012
Mr Woodward wrote:
I started college courses when I was 30. I was a single parent of two children and my parents were caring for them most of the time. I worked 40 plus hours a week at a local manufacturing facility and went to school full time. By the time I got home my kids would be in bed. After my first semester I decided to quit because I wasn't spending enough time with my kids and my parents were unhealthy. 18 years later this bad economy caused my position to be eliminated. Suddenly unemployed, I decided to go back to school to continue my education while I was on unemployment. I received grants for the first two semesters then the government decided to count unemployment as income so I was no longer entitled to grants. I continued with school loans. Now,$10,000 in school loan debt, the government decided to stop all unemployment benefits for those who are on extended benefits regardless of how much is left to draw. My income went from barely making my bills to loosing everything and on the verge of being homeless. Now, I can not continue my classes because I have to do something to afford to keep a home, much less eat every day! Unemployment in Pulaski County is 10.4%. With thousands unemployed in this area it is hard to find a job. Is it to late to go to school? NO! Is the government making it easy? NO!
You blame the government? I dont qualify for government hand outs. I'm a full time student durring the fall and winter. I have loans too. I don't expect the government or anyone to help me. Why would you or anyone else? What have you gone for your country to expect the east street? Did you serve your country and not get the GI Bill mistakenly? Or is there just an entitlement mentality?
Living in 2012

Somerset, KY

#45 May 24, 2012
I meant...... What have you done for your country to expect the easy street?
happy and i know it

Somerset, KY

#46 May 24, 2012
You are only as old as you make up your mind to be. Depend on yourself and never give up. Learning is life long.

Lexington, KY

#47 May 25, 2012
Living in 2012 wrote:
<quoted text>
You blame the government? I dont qualify for government hand outs. I'm a full time student durring the fall and winter. I have loans too. I don't expect the government or anyone to help me. Why would you or anyone else? What have you gone for your country to expect the east street? Did you serve your country and not get the GI Bill mistakenly? Or is there just an entitlement mentality?
I don't expect easy street my friend! I have busted my *** all my life for everything I have while I have financed others food stamps, medical cards, and free housing. I raised two children on my own and have never qualified for any help. This economy was no fault of mine. I worked every day! After all the years I supported the system I don't feel a damn bit bad about expecting to be able to get a grant to continue my education since my position was eliminated. I damn sure paid in far more than I will ever receive! However, that isn't how the system is set up! If I were one to sit my big fat *** on the couch and refuse to work or educate myself I would receive the world. Instead, I an trying to better my situation while being bad mouthed by people like you!
Nervous

Tempe, AZ

#48 Jun 1, 2012
I have been reading all of these post and they are very interesting. I am 47 and I was working towards a degree in Ultrasound, well, in my state they have a pt system and if you don't have enough points you can get bumped off the list and they only pick 18 people each year. I got bumped off and the councilor said wait another year, but there is no guarantee that I would get in that class either. I know that I cannot keep waiting for a program where there is no guarantee that you will ever get in. I want to get my degree but now I don't know what I should try to obtain. I know that I am so nervous because I want to pick the right career where I can make a good living and be satisfied with a great career later in life. My supervisor understood my situation and how unsettled I felt; he knew that I was a lover of sports and knew a lot about it. He suggested that I look into the career of Marketing or Public Relations or even in Television but maybe in the background. I am so nervous about starting over in a whole new field, but if I had had my wish I would have gone into sports broadcasting, but in my era growing up women were not in those fields. I just want to know if it is too late to start over in a different field. I know that the only reason that I had chose to be in the medical field was because it was something advertised. We had lived overseas too long that I didn't have a clue as to what to do except to raise my children. My children are grown and I know this is my time, just need guidance and confidence to go in a different direction. HELP and Thanks!!!
impersonal

London, KY

#49 Jun 1, 2012
I must be dreaming then...because I been out of school for 40 years and on my second year of college.
karyn

Columbus, OH

#50 Feb 2, 2013
sassysopinion wrote:
It's never too late!
I'm almost 70 yrs old..... are you sure it's never too late?

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#51 Feb 2, 2013
karyn wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm almost 70 yrs old..... are you sure it's never too late?
We actually had a 65 year old woman in college math. She brought a lot to the class and we all enjoyed our elder classmate. So, i'd say if the person isn't in the grave, it's not too late.

“Kickapoo Joy Juice”

Dogpatch, KY

#52 Feb 2, 2013
No peer pressure when you're older.
nurse

United States

#53 Feb 5, 2013
The oldest person to graduate college was 99 years old. Proving its never to late for an education
Annabelle

Somerset, KY

#54 Feb 7, 2013
My mother went to nursing school when shse was 52 and worked at it until she was 72. I got my realtor's license when I was 52. I had a great uncle who had to drop out of school during the depression. After his kids were grown, he went back to school and eventually became a math professor at Marshall University. I'm proud to say I come from a long line of late learners. You're never too old!

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#55 Feb 10, 2013
Life begins anew at 40, enjoy your second childhood, think young and just go for it!

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#56 Feb 10, 2013
Thats a pretty awesome way to look at things :)
readsb4replying

Fort Collins, CO

#57 May 23, 2013
dontbestupid wrote:
<quoted text>
why would you say that, that is ignorance. Lots of people go back to school after they have their kids raised.
Great, now I'm the guy posting on a 4 y/o post... He was asking a question, not making a statement. Add a question mark and a comma and you'll see. wow... Just...wow. ignorance isn't cured by idiocy.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#59 May 25, 2013
Amen -

Since: Mar 13

Tompkinsville, KY

#60 May 29, 2013
Never too late for an education I went to scc with ppl in their 50's and 60's

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#61 Jun 3, 2013
If it makes you happy go for it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burnside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 4 min Ren 176,692
Ladies serious ? 49 min Blaze ya dead homie 6
Brandi Calhoun (Sep '08) 1 hr Wondering 24
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) Fri JustJoe 853
jinna s moore Thu Badddbitchhh 4
is it true (Oct '16) May 16 Partyguy 3
biggest boobies in burnside? (May '16) May 15 Partyguy 5

Burnside Jobs

Personal Finance

Burnside Mortgages