Lincoln County Cancels Prayer.

Posted in the Burnside Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#1 May 4, 2013
It was in the paper this morning,that Lincoln county school canceled prayer for the graduating class.6 students objected.I thought majority ruled.
I suggest the rest of the students boycott the commencement.If they want to make an impact at an early age,this would be it.The school can not deny them their diploma.
I respect other peoples rights,they should respect mine.
Walking across that stage is a great moment,in a young persons life,but the impact of not going may make an impact on our country,and our freedoms.
I am not a prayer person,but people have the right to prayer if they wish.
Our freedoms are being eroded by a few,and this is just another freedom taken from us.
Why should the whole group suffer for a few poop disturbers?
If my kid was getting a diploma,he would not be there for the walk of fame.
wattsgoingon

United States

#2 May 4, 2013
This will not end well.

Location hidden

#3 May 4, 2013
I hope these young people and their parents stand up,for their right to prayer.
James Madison

Somerset, KY

#4 May 4, 2013
Please read the article in today's paper. No one is prevented from praying at any time during the graduation ceremony. It's just that prayer will not be offered as part of the official event. All the school is doing is following the law which was enacted to preserve the rights of all students, not just those of a particular faith or religious sect.

Location hidden

#5 May 4, 2013
James Madison wrote:
Please read the article in today's paper. No one is prevented from praying at any time during the graduation ceremony. It's just that prayer will not be offered as part of the official event. All the school is doing is following the law which was enacted to preserve the rights of all students, not just those of a particular faith or religious sect.
It does not preserve the rights of people who want the prayer said out loud.
carson

Charlestown, IN

#6 May 4, 2013
Gomer-ez wrote:
It was in the paper this morning,that Lincoln county school canceled prayer for the graduating class.6 students objected.I thought majority ruled.
I suggest the rest of the students boycott the commencement.If they want to make an impact at an early age,this would be it.The school can not deny them their diploma.
I respect other peoples rights,they should respect mine.
Walking across that stage is a great moment,in a young persons life,but the impact of not going may make an impact on our country,and our freedoms.
I am not a prayer person,but people have the right to prayer if they wish.
Our freedoms are being eroded by a few,and this is just another freedom taken from us.
Why should the whole group suffer for a few poop disturbers?
If my kid was getting a diploma,he would not be there for the walk of fame.
I agree on all points.

Wouldn't it be funny if those six were the only ones that showed up.

To the other poster, doesn't congress open in prayer?
In public it is seen as an acknowlegment of God not an endorsement of a denomination. If you are an atheist then you should just have to deal with it like all of us have to deal with things we don't like.

Location hidden

#7 May 4, 2013
carson wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree on all points.
Wouldn't it be funny if those six were the only ones that showed up.
To the other poster, doesn't congress open in prayer?
In public it is seen as an acknowlegment of God not an endorsement of a denomination. If you are an atheist then you should just have to deal with it like all of us have to deal with things we don't like.
That is my point.They do not have to pray.
Maybe the rest of the class should have their graduation at another sight.
The parents should stand up and be heard.Majority should rule.
This political correct stuff has gone far enough.

“smiling on a cloudy day”

Since: Jan 09

Shakedown Street

#8 May 4, 2013
Gomer-ez wrote:
<quoted text>
It does not preserve the rights of people who want the prayer said out loud.
That's great, if they let Mohammed get up there and lead the assembly in a prayer toward Mecca(hope he doesn't blow up at the end), and gothy McFerguson sacrifice his pet goat on stage also(don't tell PETA).

Location hidden

#9 May 4, 2013
Bronston Man wrote:
<quoted text>
That's great, if they let Mohammed get up there and lead the assembly in a prayer toward Mecca(hope he doesn't blow up at the end), and gothy McFerguson sacrifice his pet goat on stage also(don't tell PETA).
Maybe he will use a small personal bomb.And I like goat meat.
That is a cult not a religon.
Matthew

Somerset, KY

#10 May 4, 2013
Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.

And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others.
carson

Louisville, KY

#11 May 4, 2013
Public acknowledgement of God is not practicing religion.
Does our congress open in prayer?
Do we have a national prayer breakfast?
Toughen up folks. If you are so mentally weak as to be threatened by a public acknowledgement of God, then the problem is with you. You're weak.

In this day and time, people have allowed words to have entirely too much power over them.
Kids murder themselves because of the harsh words of others. Instead of limiting speech (which is the goal) why don't we teach our kids not to let the words and personality disorders of others affect them?

Location hidden

#12 May 4, 2013
Matthew wrote:
Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.
And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others.
I do not pray.

Shakedown Street

#13 May 4, 2013
Gomer-ez wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe he will use a small personal bomb.And I like goat meat.
That is a cult not a religon.
One man's religion is another man's cult.

Tomato=Tomato(that don't come across so well unspoken)

Shakedown Street

#14 May 4, 2013
carson wrote:
Public acknowledgement of God is not practicing religion.
Does our congress open in prayer?
Do we have a national prayer breakfast?
Toughen up folks. If you are so mentally weak as to be threatened by a public acknowledgement of God, then the problem is with you. You're weak.
In this day and time, people have allowed words to have entirely too much power over them.
Kids murder themselves because of the harsh words of others. Instead of limiting speech (which is the goal) why don't we teach our kids not to let the words and personality disorders of others affect them?
Exactly, let 'em all get up there and speak on praise their god during a graduation.

Little Hindu kids can go talk about Krishna or 4-armed Vishnu, witchy kids can lead the assembly in praising the Earth Mother, sure somebody could even lead a prayer to Satan. Come on, we're not weak we can hear it right?

Personally I'd like to thank Odin for my diploma. Or maybe Zeus.
carson

Fishers, IN

#15 May 4, 2013
It boils down to the fact that there is a strong element of power in "being offended".

The problems develope when we as a society give in to the whining. As with spoiled children, the whining should be ignored.

Ever been to someone's house that was ruled by a whiny spoiled child? Well, today as a nation, we have the same chaotic nonsense with this political correct crowd.
James Madison

Somerset, KY

#17 May 4, 2013
No one has the right to impose their personal religious beliefs on others. James Madison, considered by most to be the primary author of our constitution, wrote extensively on the dangers of government endorsement of religion. He recognized that when you elevate one religion over another the result will ultimately be persecution and tyranny. Here are but a few of the many examples of things he said providing compelling justification for a clear separation of church and state.

“It was the belief of all sects at one time that the establishment of Religion by law, was right and necessary; that the true religion ought to be established in exclusion of every other; and that the only question to be decided was which was the true religion. The example of Holland proved that a toleration of sects, dissenting from the established sect, was safe and even useful. The example of the Colonies, now States, which rejected religious establishments altogether, proved that all Sects might be safely and advantageously put on a footing of equal and entire freedom. We are teaching the world the great truth that Governments do better without Kings and Nobles than with them. The merit will be doubled by the other lesson that Religion flourishes in greater purity, without than with the aid of Gov.” James Madison, in a Letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822, The Writings of James Madison, Gaillard Hunt

“Strongly guarded as is the separation between Religion and Government in the Constitution of the United States the danger of encroachment by Ecclesiastical Bodies, may be illustrated by precedents already furnished in their short history.” James Madison, Detached Memoranda, 1820

“Who does not see that the same authority which can establish Christianity, in exclusion of all other religions, may establish with the same ease any particular sect of Christians, in exclusion of all other sects?” James Madison, Detached Memoranda, 1820
carson

Fishers, IN

#18 May 4, 2013
James Madison wrote:
No one has the right to impose their personal religious beliefs on others. James Madison, considered by most to be the primary author of our constitution, wrote extensively on the dangers of government endorsement of religion. He recognized that when you elevate one religion over another the result will ultimately be persecution and tyranny. Here are but a few of the many examples of things he said providing compelling justification for a clear separation of church and state.
“It was the belief of all sects at one time that the establishment of Religion by law, was right and necessary; that the true religion ought to be established in exclusion of every other; and that the only question to be decided was which was the true religion. The example of Holland proved that a toleration of sects, dissenting from the established sect, was safe and even useful. The example of the Colonies, now States, which rejected religious establishments altogether, proved that all Sects might be safely and advantageously put on a footing of equal and entire freedom. We are teaching the world the great truth that Governments do better without Kings and Nobles than with them. The merit will be doubled by the other lesson that Religion flourishes in greater purity, without than with the aid of Gov.” James Madison, in a Letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822, The Writings of James Madison, Gaillard Hunt
“Strongly guarded as is the separation between Religion and Government in the Constitution of the United States the danger of encroachment by Ecclesiastical Bodies, may be illustrated by precedents already furnished in their short history.” James Madison, Detached Memoranda, 1820
“Who does not see that the same authority which can establish Christianity, in exclusion of all other religions, may establish with the same ease any particular sect of Christians, in exclusion of all other sects?” James Madison, Detached Memoranda, 1820
Does congress open with prayer?

Shakedown Street

#19 May 4, 2013
Here is an article about it:

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/05/03/2625382/li...

The atheist involved:

http://tinyurl.com/d8e8n6n

LOL
James Madison

Somerset, KY

#23 May 4, 2013
carson wrote:
<quoted text>
Does congress open with prayer?
Congress makes our laws. However, they are rarely known for following them.

“Always A Blue -T -Full Day”

Since: Sep 08

Go Cats!!

#25 May 4, 2013
When i was in high school i was the president of the senior class, our senior class sponsor told us before graduation ceromony that we were not to toss our caps in the air because she did not like it. Ok, that did not sit well with the class or I, so before going out on the floor i started spreading the word we were going to do it anyways....what can they do....what did they do? NOTHING!!!!

So Lincoln Co seniors try this:

When you walk up to the stage for your diploma and after accepting it and the hand shake from whoever, walk off and stop, bow your head for 6 seconds in silent prayer (6 sec for the 6 protestors) raise your head proud, smile and walk off stage!!

GO PATRIOTS!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burnside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Registered sex offenders in Somerset, Kentucky (Apr '10) 3 min Summer 5
Stephanie Lovell 4 min Summer 3
North McDonalds 6 min Summer 7
jonathan lewis (Aug '09) 7 min Summer 4
Jasmin Fisher 8 min Summer 2
New Bar Downtown 9 min Summer 2
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr usa 153,934

Burnside Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance