How a video of jumping carp video cha...

How a video of jumping carp video changed a Hoosier's life

There are 8 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from May 28, 2013, titled How a video of jumping carp video changed a Hoosier's life. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Brendan Kearns has a warning for anyone who hops into his brown 16-foot, flat-bottom boat for a trip up the Wabash River.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

flying fish

Terre Haute, IN

#1 May 28, 2013
Good article. If you haven't seen the 2010 video that brought Kearns his fame, check it out. It's entertaining and troubling.
River

United States

#2 May 28, 2013
Pulled a hoop net out yesterday. Was one catfish and 30+ Asian carp to 50 lbs. makes you wonder how or when the fishery will collapse for native game fish.
River Rat

Terre Haute, IN

#3 May 28, 2013
Getting ready to put my nets in. Thanks (not!) for the report. Those slimy things are getting worse every year. I wish the DNR could come up with a way to get rid of these pests, they are surely a pain.
River

United States

#4 May 28, 2013
Last year I actually thought the numbers were going down, around Montezuma. This year it seems like they grew by 10x. Don't know if the low water last year moved them to another area, but def. back now. I tried baiting set lines and the baits rotted off the hook. Other fish would not eat them.
bkearns

United States

#5 May 28, 2013
That was a treat hitting the front page of the IndyStar. The reporter is a true outdoorsman. Keep on eye on him for some great articles.

Since I shot the video in August 2010, I have never seen that many at one time. They are still out there. Maybe they have become camera shy!
River

Crawfordsville, IN

#6 May 28, 2013
Hundreds are in the mouth of raccoon creek and by the train trestle in Montezuma. Funny you say camera shy they don't jump as much I am in an airboat and they are litterly a half inch below the surface. If you circle the school they come out.
Braxton

United States

#7 May 28, 2013
River Rat wrote:
Getting ready to put my nets in. Thanks (not!) for the report. Those slimy things are getting worse every year. I wish the DNR could come up with a way to get rid of these pests, they are surely a pain.
Is this J D?
River Rat

Terre Haute, IN

#8 May 29, 2013
Nope. I'm down south, they're bad down here, as they seem to be everywhere. My wife has taken three canoe trips this year, and she says they are even jumping from a canoe paddle.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burnettsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mowery girls, Logansport (Jan '11) Jun 15 Goan 8
help whit bower May '16 roadluac 1
Donaldson Apr '16 Joe 1
Captain Logan Hotel and the Logan theatre (Jul '10) Mar '16 Col Bob 12
logansport snitch list (May '11) Mar '16 None of your buiness 9
chris boothe Jan '16 wanna know him 1
News INDOT demands contractor refund $5M or fix crum... (Sep '15) Dec '15 Joe 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Burnettsville Mortgages