Farmers fear Congress might crack dow...

Farmers fear Congress might crack down on illegal labor

There are 276 comments on the The Kansas City Star story from Jul 30, 2011, titled Farmers fear Congress might crack down on illegal labor. In it, The Kansas City Star reports that:

BURLINGTON, Wash. If you buy strawberry Haagen-Dazs ice cream, Steve Sakuma says, there's an 80 percent chance that you're going to get his berries, grown on some of the richest black soil in America, in northern Washington state, about 50 miles from the Canadian border.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Kansas City Star.

First Prev
of 14
Next Last

“A Nation of Legal Immigrants”

Since: Nov 07

Lake City Florida,/ Nebraska

#286 Aug 29, 2011
dirtbag1958 wrote:
<quoted text>
50,000 illegal immigrants are in the Services, So why do we need the Dream Act? What 2 "illegals" got the award? Why is it that it is the United States Farmer are feeding the world?
Read post above.
FLAPATRIOT

United States

#287 Aug 29, 2011
libertarian4321 wrote:
<quoted text>
Our military has an extraordinary number of non-citizens, largely because military service can expedite the citizenship process.
However, "illegals" have also managed to slip into our military many times in the past.
At least 2 illegal immigrants have been awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor- the highest military honor this country can bestow on a soldier. Those "illegals" were better soldiers than all but a select few citizen soldiers.
The fact that they crossed the border illegally does not mean that they can't be good onion pickers, or good soldiers.
If i break into your house would you consider me a good guest?
FLAPATRIOT

United States

#288 Aug 29, 2011
libertarian4321 wrote:
<quoted text>
Our military has an extraordinary number of non-citizens, largely because military service can expedite the citizenship process.
However, "illegals" have also managed to slip into our military many times in the past.
At least 2 illegal immigrants have been awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor- the highest military honor this country can bestow on a soldier. Those "illegals" were better soldiers than all but a select few citizen soldiers.
The fact that they crossed the border illegally does not mean that they can't be good onion pickers, or good soldiers.
extraordinary????? really We have 3.5 million active duty and reserve military personnel in the US....50,000 is less than 2% That's extraordinary in your mind?The last thing we need is to use citizenship to coerce people to join. That was tried in the past and it was a failure. Judges used it in the past as an alternative to jail and the military put an end to it.

Since: Apr 09

small town

#289 Aug 29, 2011
Since September 11th, More Than 53,000 Immigrants Have Taken Advantage Of Wartime Military Naturalization. According to the Immigration Policy Center,“The September 11 attacks precipitated immediate changes in policies on immigrants in the military. Once the nation was at war, immigrants in the armed forces were eligible for naturalization under the special wartime military naturalization statute. As of October 2009, more than 53,000 immigrants had taken advantage of this provision to become U.S. citizens.”[Margaret D. Stock, Immigration Policy Center, 11/09] If they were Legal they would already have a path way to citizenship. Was told about this from a Professor of Central Florida at a form of Immigration Past, Present, and Future. It was illegal immigration, and they did Not like me there giving out Facts. Why do we need a Dream Act? We do NOT need it. DEPORT ALL illegal immigrants. This is a pro-illegal immigrant site. How it looks it is run by La Raza(the race).

http://americasvoiceonline.org/research/entry...

“A Nation of Legal Immigrants”

Since: Nov 07

Lake City Florida,/ Nebraska

#290 Aug 29, 2011
dirtbag1958 wrote:

Since September 11th, More Than 53,000 Immigrants Have Taken Advantage Of Wartime Military Naturalization.

According to the Immigration Policy Center,“The September 11 attacks precipitated immediate changes in policies on immigrants in the military. Once the nation was at war, immigrants in the armed forces were eligible for naturalization under the special wartime military naturalization statute.

As of October 2009, more than 53,000 immigrants had taken advantage of this provision to become U.S. citizens.”

[Margaret D. Stock, Immigration Policy Center, 11/09] If they were Legal they would already have a path way to citizenship. Was told about this from a Professor of Central Florida at a form of Immigration Past, Present, and Future. It was illegal immigration, and they did Not like me there giving out Facts. Why do we need a Dream Act? We do NOT need it. DEPORT ALL illegal immigrants. This is a pro-illegal immigrant site. How it looks it is run by La Raza(the race).
http://americasvoiceonline.org/research/entry...
That's not what you posted! lol

"50,000 illegal immigrants are in the Services, So why do we need the Dream Act?"

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#291 Aug 30, 2011
It's just dawned on me!!

My dog sleeps about 20 hours a day.
He has his food prepared for him.
He can eat whenever he wants.
His meals are provided at no cost to him.
He visits the Dr. once a year for his checkup, and again during the year if any medical needs arise.
For this he pays nothing and nothing is required of him.
He lives in a nice neighborhood in a house that is much larger than he needs, but he is not required to do any upkeep.
If he makes a mess, someone else cleans it up.
He has his choice of luxurious places to sleep.
He receives these accommodations absolutely free.
He is living like a King, and has absolutely no expenses whatsoever.
All of his costs are picked up by others who go out and earn a living every day.
I was just thinking about all this, and suddenly it hit me like a brick .......
I think my dog is a member of Congress!
goodbusiness

Wiggins, CO

#292 Aug 30, 2011
CornDogz wrote:
It's just dawned on me!!
My dog sleeps about 20 hours a day.
He has his food prepared for him.
He can eat whenever he wants.
His meals are provided at no cost to him.
He visits the Dr. once a year for his checkup, and again during the year if any medical needs arise.
For this he pays nothing and nothing is required of him.
He lives in a nice neighborhood in a house that is much larger than he needs, but he is not required to do any upkeep.
If he makes a mess, someone else cleans it up.
He has his choice of luxurious places to sleep.
He receives these accommodations absolutely free.
He is living like a King, and has absolutely no expenses whatsoever.
All of his costs are picked up by others who go out and earn a living every day.
I was just thinking about all this, and suddenly it hit me like a brick .......
I think my dog is a member of Congress!
he should run for office
Sam

Dayton, OH

#293 Aug 30, 2011
Farmers using illegal workers should be arrested and fined.These rich farmers are the cause of illegal immigrants from south of the border.These rich farmers are costing the American taxpayer billions in border patrol costs,and welfare for thier employees that bankrupts smaller cities.Once in the United States,the illegal aliens can move about the nation freely.The cost to all 50 states is rising as welfare rolls increase to unsustainable levels for hospital care.The government allowed the unrestricted immigration from 2000 until 2008,as a gift for support during the elections as the richest of the farmers donated to the political process.They should be liable for thier employees healthcare,not the American taxpayer.They should not be allowed to use slaves in this country.
Sam

Dayton, OH

#294 Aug 30, 2011
Congress has no other choice than to crack down on illegal and legal aliens until Americans that lost thier jobs to the so called "Fair trade laws"where the government paid American companys to move to China and Mexico.They claimed Americans refused to perform the 'menial task jobs when in reality they were outsourceing the good paying hard labor jobs in the General Motors and Chrysler automobile plants as well as other high paying Union jobs in similar industries.This deal was in my opinion made with China as a favor for thier war loans that now have us in deficit debt.
Sam

Dayton, OH

#295 Aug 30, 2011
As another perk from the Nafta Cafta and WTO laws,the Republicans were also eliminating tens of thousands of UNION jobs allowing companys to cut wages to make more profits while eliminating benefits to active employees as well as retirees.
Sam

Dayton, OH

#296 Aug 30, 2011
Any American company that has plants in China or Mexico should be labeled as "Benedict Arnold" companys and should be fined by paying double import tariffs to make up for what they did to the American workforce whose sweat and blood made the profits necessary for them to become rich.The idea of our own government sending our jobs overseas is capricious as it will surely destroy our nation and cause us to bow down to other nations who are smarter traders than our Congress who listen to the companys lobbyists and not American workers who keep our economy rolling.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#297 Aug 31, 2011
They might have a little problem with the NRLB who just signed an agreement on fair wages for illegals.

http://news.yahoo.com/labor-secretary-hilda-l...

“George Soros & The Dummy!”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#298 Aug 31, 2011
Publius51 wrote:
They might have a little problem with the NRLB who just signed an agreement on fair wages for illegals.
http://news.yahoo.com/labor-secretary-hilda-l...
I think you mean NLRB (National Labor Relations Board) who is headed by Wilma Liebman, which is unrelated to the story you linked. The story you linked is about the Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis and the pact she's made on behalf of the Obama administration with Latin-American countries.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#299 Aug 31, 2011
Should be the labor dept. My bad...

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#300 Sep 1, 2011
Cricket 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have a link for your post, I'd like to read it?
I can only remember the name of one of them at this time (there were actually a few of them from WWII who may have been illegal, but only 2 of them later admitted it openly).

Several years ago, Jose M. Lopez was invited to the White House by Bush Jr. as the oldest living MOH winner at the time.

He was a Mexican orphan who came across the border "illegally" to find work to support himself. He joined the Merchant Marine before WWII, then switched to the Army during the War.

His official citation (which lists Texas as his birthplace, because that's where he told them he was born):

http://www.cmohs.org/recipient-detail/2851/lo...

An obituary that tells more about his life: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/...

A more recent example- Marine Sgt. Rafael Peralta, who came to the USA "illegally" was nominated for the Medal of Honor, but was (controversially) only awarded the Navy Cross- many believe he did not receive the MOH only because it would have been politically inconvenient to give the award to a guy who had come here illegally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Peralta

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#301 Sep 1, 2011
Sam wrote:
Any American company that has plants in China or Mexico should be labeled as "Benedict Arnold" companys and should be fined by paying double import tariffs to make up for what they did to the American workforce whose sweat and blood made the profits necessary for them to become rich.The idea of our own government sending our jobs overseas is capricious as it will surely destroy our nation and cause us to bow down to other nations who are smarter traders than our Congress who listen to the companys lobbyists and not American workers who keep our economy rolling.
Wow, you know absolutely nothing about business or economics.

Amazing.

Large American companies have ALWAYS had operations overseas, this didn't just happen last month (as an example, read and learn the history of "United Fruit" and the birth of the term "banana Republic).

If you imposed some idiotic rule that American based companies could only have plants in the USA, all you'd do is ensure that the American businesses fail, and Chinese, Japanese, German, etc businesses take over for them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burlington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UFO Sighting Reports (Sep '10) Sep '17 Adam7875 18
News Skagit County judge: Public hospitals must prov... (Jun '16) Mar '17 Plockbeam 2
Jet Noise (Jul '10) Mar '17 Plockbeam 23
News Three Dead in Shooting at Mall North of Seattle (Sep '16) Sep '16 WASPaphobe 5
News Latest: Authorities say 5th person dies in mall... (Sep '16) Sep '16 WASPaphobe 4
Review: The Silver BOX (Jan '14) Jan '14 Kym 1
Review: By Design Auto Group (Sep '10) Nov '13 Steph Johnson 6

Burlington Jobs

Personal Finance

Burlington Mortgages