Wiccan Sign Allowed on Soldier's Plaque

Wiccan Sign Allowed on Soldier's Plaque

There are 10 comments on the The Associated Press story from Sep 13, 2006, titled Wiccan Sign Allowed on Soldier's Plaque . In it, The Associated Press reports that:

The widow of a soldier killed in Afghanistan won state approval Wednesday to place a Wiccan religious symbol on his memorial plaque, something the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs had refused.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.

Bobbie

Oklahoma City, OK

#1 Sep 14, 2006
It is so gratifying to read that a major media source has associated the Wiccan pentacle symbol with something good rather than something evil. It is satanists who corrupted the symbol by turning it upside down and claiming that as their own. Most people are unaware of this subtle difference and, sadly, associate ALL pentacle symbols with things evil - which is such an injustice.
Vegas Wiccian

Las Vegas, NV

#2 Sep 14, 2006
I think that this is a step in the correct direction, but will not rest until the VA pulls their head out! But good for Nevada for standing up giving the man Some of the honor that he has earned and Deserves
Fred Lulling

Cheyenne, WY

#3 Sep 14, 2006
Overall, the story is good, upbeat, and positive. But Mr. Sonner, or his AP editors still cannot resist the urge to toss in a stupid and uneducated comment, about how "some Wiccans consider themselves good witches, pagans or neo-pagans." This is extremely patronizing and shows ignorance. ALL Wiccans are Pagan (Pagan is capitalized, the same as Christian, thank you.)
Don Francisco III

Wichita, KS

#4 Sep 14, 2006
I don't believe in their ideas, but who am I or the VA to tell anybody what they should believe.
He died fighting for us.....I don,t care if he put Mickey Mouse on his head stone.....
"Don't throw rocks in a glass house".
WynterArwynRose

Mount Vernon, WA

#5 Sep 15, 2006
Someday these little step's might add up too one giant leap, but until the country stop's being ruled by the "Moral Majority" (and they don't represent all of my morals") we have a long way to go on the part of, live and let live.
Sandpiper

United States

#6 Sep 16, 2006
At least the Nevada Attorney General's Office was able to help move the issue along with some progress. It is a step.

Blessed be to Roberta Stewart, her family, and all those who have helped for such an honorable commitment.
Crys

Panacea, FL

#7 Sep 20, 2006
He was a follower of the Wiccan religion, which the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs does not recognize and therefore prohibits on veterans' headstones in national cemeteries.
If the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs doesn't recognize Wicca, this issue rather points out neatly that it needs to. Legally speaking, Wicca has as much right to be recognized as a religion as Christianity, and certainly more than aethism. I didn't even know there is an aethist symbol for headstones!
Giasa

United States

#8 Sep 20, 2006
Thanks to Hollywood, many people associate the pentacle with satanism. Satanists are Christians, who choose to worship the other side of their religion. Pagans and Wiccans do not believe in Satan, so how can we be Satanists.
Beamie

Amsterdam, Netherlands

#9 Sep 21, 2006
Yeah!
"One small step for man one great step for mankind"
:)

“To Thine Own Self Be True!”

Since: Feb 07

Pigeon Forge

#10 Feb 3, 2007
[quote]He was a follower of the Wiccan religion, which the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs does not recognize and therefore prohibits on veterans' headstones in national cemeteries.[/quote]

Actually, all branches of the armed forces lists Wicca as a religious choice on dogtags and for council. Therefore, they DO recognize it as a genuine religion and SHOULD allow in national cemeteries.

That's it and that's all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burlington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UFO Sighting Reports (Sep '10) Sep 22 Adam7875 18
News Skagit County judge: Public hospitals must prov... (Jun '16) Mar '17 Plockbeam 2
Jet Noise (Jul '10) Mar '17 Plockbeam 23
News Three Dead in Shooting at Mall North of Seattle (Sep '16) Sep '16 WASPaphobe 5
News Latest: Authorities say 5th person dies in mall... (Sep '16) Sep '16 WASPaphobe 4
Searching (Aug '16) Aug '16 Jstephens 1
Review: The Silver BOX (Jan '14) Jan '14 Kym 1

Burlington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Burlington Mortgages