Cell-phone photo of nude girl spurs Billerica police probe

There are 161 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Jan 31, 2009, titled Cell-phone photo of nude girl spurs Billerica police probe. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Senior Keith DellaPorta, 17, left, at Billerica Memorial High School last night, said the cell-phone picture of a nude girl was widely discussed at a party he attended.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Eyeroller

Andover, MA

#1 Jan 31, 2009
What a shame! I think the boy that it was sent to should be charged. She is in middle school and he is in highschool. Did he ask her to send him a photo of her?? This would definitly change the story. How does one just get a picture? and then forward it? I can't see a girl just happening to send a NUDE photo without a suggestion having been made. I hope the parents press charges if it found out that he requested it.
The Regulator

Tyngsboro, MA

#2 Jan 31, 2009
Eyeroller wrote:
What a shame! I think the boy that it was sent to should be charged. She is in middle school and he is in highschool. Did he ask her to send him a photo of her?? This would definitly change the story. How does one just get a picture? and then forward it? I can't see a girl just happening to send a NUDE photo without a suggestion having been made. I hope the parents press charges if it found out that he requested it.
"I think kids typically don't think of a consequence or long-term consequences of their actions in a lot of regards, and this is one of these examples," Rosa said. "Parents need to keep a watchful eye on what their kids are doing."

So EYEROLLER, had this kid kept this nude photo to himself, everything would be ok in your book? I mean, it's hard to believe a kid at the age would ever want to show his buddies something like that. The kid did exactly what 99.9% of us would have done in that situation.

How about we instead take a look at the parents here. Not so much for not being aware of what was going on with their daughter and this boy, but for not giving her the tools to figure out that taking nude pictures of yourself and sending them to boys is a bad idea.
mom of 2

Brookline, MA

#3 Jan 31, 2009
i agree with you (eyeroller).
this boy should be the one to pay the prize. and she should have known better.
Lowellresident 2

Gloucester, MA

#4 Jan 31, 2009
The Regulator wrote:
<quoted text>
"I think kids typically don't think of a consequence or long-term consequences of their actions in a lot of regards, and this is one of these examples," Rosa said. "Parents need to keep a watchful eye on what their kids are doing."
So EYEROLLER, had this kid kept this nude photo to himself, everything would be ok in your book? I mean, it's hard to believe a kid at the age would ever want to show his buddies something like that. The kid did exactly what 99.9% of us would have done in that situation.
How about we instead take a look at the parents here. Not so much for not being aware of what was going on with their daughter and this boy, but for not giving her the tools to figure out that taking nude pictures of yourself and sending them to boys is a bad idea.
I agree, what kind of parenting gave this young girl the idea it's OK to send nudies of herself? These days it's never the parents fault when kids do the wrong thing. We want to blame movies, TV and video games. Well, the truth is bad parenting is responsible for most teen trouble, if this girl's parents were more involved with her, she would never have even thought of doing something like this. The reason movies, TV, etc. have an influence on our kids is because parents don't parent anymore! SOCIETY IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR RAISING YOUR CHILD, YOU ARE!!!
HAWK

Lowell, MA

#5 Jan 31, 2009
I liked life better back before technology...You would just go out on a date To Burger King or Friendlies and talk to meet people..The Cell Phones and Internet has desensitized this generation.This should have never made headline news.The Schools really drop kicked this one and blew it over the top.It should have been addressed with the Schools ,police and families involved.Whoever leaked this story to the Press is the one who should be charged.
Red

Lowell, MA

#6 Jan 31, 2009
Simple solution - don't give kids cell phones with built-in cameras or displays capable os transmitting photos. It is up to the parents
New Age

Lowell, MA

#7 Jan 31, 2009
Yes it's the new age among our teens. I think you would find this goes on more then one would believe. Teens today are into more then we could ever imagine, but is this a major crime or a new age among teens? I doubt the parents are to blame.
Renee

Charlestown, MA

#8 Jan 31, 2009
The Regulator wrote:
It's hard as a parent. I can be standing in the check out line at the grocery and have the latest cover of Sports Illustrated 'Swim Suit' edition at my children's eye level. The problem is the woman on the cover wasn't even wearing a swim suit, but rather a necklace strategically placed over her nipple.

Look around the next time you're at the drug store on the magazine racks, Nudity is every where. Nudity sells. Nudity gives you attention. Nudity is popular. Naked pictures are valued as something good.

We as adults are just as desensitized, we simply get away with it because we're adults not minors. Being an adult isn't an excused for disrespecting human sexuality, minors are simply following our example. This young woman was simply following society's values, her only fault by today's standards was that she wasn't 18 and was giving it out for free.
Seriously

Lowell, MA

#9 Jan 31, 2009
HAWK wrote:
I liked life better back before technology...You would just go out on a date To Burger King or Friendlies and talk to meet people..The Cell Phones and Internet has desensitized this generation.This should have never made headline news.The Schools really drop kicked this one and blew it over the top.It should have been addressed with the Schools ,police and families involved.Whoever leaked this story to the Press is the one who should be charged.
I completely agree. The parents of the boy’s who’s phones were confiscated were not even notified, till after the fact. Some form of protocol must be put into place for situations like this. These boys were questioned by authorities prior to parents having knowledge of the situation. Parents were going to the police station to ask questions, to be surprised by local news channels at the station… come on!! This is something that can ruin these children’s lives, and if you think about most of the children that received this material were under the age of 14… in retrospect, if it wasn’t for technology would they have been caught? How many men can remember seeing Polaroid pictures of their friend’s girl friends- naked as young boys? I am not condoning this behavior by any means, but ultimately these children NEED to be educated, regarding this topic. Protocol is a necessary measure and educating these children is something that needs to be done and should have been done. The DA or the town of Billerica attempting to make an example of these kids is wrong! This is something this young girl must live with, she will be known as “that” girl, which is unfair to her and her family, we don’t know her or her family, who are we to judge them for their child rearing short comings. She is a young girl who made a mistake and is paying for it. She didn’t kill anyone, she didn’t hurt anyone, she had faith and trust in some boy, who betrayed her in the worst way. She’s young and naïve, leave her alone… And I’m telling you these are CHILDREN, all involved are under the age of 16. It’s a shame that this story has captured so much attention, with everything else that is going on in this world! Rightful educate these children both at home and a educational setting and this problem might not seem so HUGE!
MrMillCity

Tyngsboro, MA

#10 Jan 31, 2009
Renee wrote:
<quoted text>It's hard as a parent. I can be standing in the check out line at the grocery and have the latest cover of Sports Illustrated 'Swim Suit' edition at my children's eye level. The problem is the woman on the cover wasn't even wearing a swim suit, but rather a necklace strategically placed over her nipple.
Look around the next time you're at the drug store on the magazine racks, Nudity is every where. Nudity sells. Nudity gives you attention. Nudity is popular. Naked pictures are valued as something good.
We as adults are just as desensitized, we simply get away with it because we're adults not minors. Being an adult isn't an excused for disrespecting human sexuality, minors are simply following our example. This young woman was simply following society's values, her only fault by today's standards was that she wasn't 18 and was giving it out for free.
All true Renee, no one would argue otherwise. But do you ignore it, leave the store, and hope your child didn't see it and form their own judgements? Or do you discuss it, perhaps show your disspointment in the women on the cover, and explain the consequences that those types of displays could mean for the person involved? My thoughts are that most parents choose the former.

I don't think the boy should get off scott free here, but the biggest eye opener here isn't his poor choice to pass the material. It's the fact that the material existed in the first place.
Unbeleviable

Westford, MA

#11 Jan 31, 2009
Eyeroller wrote:
What an idiot you are, you must be one of the many dumb liberals in this state who always think it is someone else's fault. No one should be charged in this case. When your 14 you know right from wrong, and you know that when you send a nude picture of yourself to someone, that person is obviously going to show it to someone else. Its common sense, I do not feel any sympathy at all for this idiotic girl
Please People

Billerica, MA

#13 Jan 31, 2009
Look if you parents are this upset about this then, look at the parents who have sons, do you write about how her looked at his first Playboy, Swank, magz? No, you ignored it and I am sure he showed his friends, get over it, girls do the samething. Start focusing on what life is about and maybe ask your kids, they know more than the parents on some issues.
SERIOUSLY

Amesbury, MA

#16 Jan 31, 2009
Renee wrote:
<quoted text>It's hard as a parent. I can be standing in the check out line at the grocery and have the latest cover of Sports Illustrated 'Swim Suit' edition at my children's eye level. The problem is the woman on the cover wasn't even wearing a swim suit, but rather a necklace strategically placed over her nipple.
TAKE RESPONSIBILITY AS A PARENT FOR WHAT YOUR CHILD DOES, IF YOUR LITTLE GIRL WANTS TO SEND NAKED PICTURES AND SHE CAN NOT GET IN TROUBLE BUT THESE GUYS WHO SEND THEM TO THEIR FRIENDS CAN GET IN TROUBLE THAT IS TEACHING YOUR PRECIOUS LITTLE GIRL THAT ITS FINE TO BE A TRAMP, GUYS WILL ALWAYS PAY FOR YOUR MISTAKES.
SERIOUSLY

Amesbury, MA

#17 Jan 31, 2009
Unbeleviable wrote:
<quoted text>
What an idiot you are, you must be one of the many dumb liberals in this state who always think it is someone else's fault. No one should be charged in this case. When your 14 you know right from wrong, and you know that when you send a nude picture of yourself to someone, that person is obviously going to show it to someone else. Its common sense, I do not feel any sympathy at all for this idiotic girl
EXACTLY!!!!!
SERIOUSLY

Amesbury, MA

#18 Jan 31, 2009
mom of 2 wrote:
i agree with you (eyeroller).
this boy should be the one to pay the prize. and she should have known better.
So she should have known better yet he should pay? i hope your 2 kids have something like that happen to them because of someone elses mistake so they can pay the price of someones action that could have and should have known better
Renee

Charlestown, MA

#19 Jan 31, 2009
One can use all the capital letters and profanity they choose, but children grow up and the see what adults value. We can't lock them up forever. What's the point of sheltering my children, when all of a sudden the moment they turn 18 it's all good and normal as an adult.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#20 Jan 31, 2009
Eyeroller wrote:
If I ask you to sell me some crack no law has been broken until you do. If I ask you to steal a Rolex watch for me, no law has been broken until you do. If you are a minor and I ask you to send me a nude photo, no law has been broken until you do. The problem here is that ignorance of the law isn't going to make you exempt from it, at least it's not supposed to. I doubt very much that this young lady will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
Renee

Charlestown, MA

#21 Jan 31, 2009
SERIOUSLY wrote:
TAKE RESPONSIBILITY AS A PARENT FOR WHAT YOUR CHILD DOES, IF YOUR LITTLE GIRL WANTS TO SEND NAKED PICTURES AND SHE CAN NOT GET IN TROUBLE BUT THESE GUYS WHO SEND THEM TO THEIR FRIENDS CAN GET IN TROUBLE THAT IS TEACHING YOUR PRECIOUS LITTLE GIRL THAT ITS FINE TO BE A TRAMP, GUYS WILL ALWAYS PAY FOR YOUR MISTAKES.
The problem was the teenager isn't a little girl, but neither is she an adult. Teenagers are in a middle ground in which we have to guide them in adulthood, the problem is with adulthood. Adults value the objectification of women's bodies, and we market and cater to this value. Remember it's perfectly OK for adults to do these such actions that we are berating these teenagers for. The only difference is that adult pay for such picture.
Lowellresident 2

Gloucester, MA

#22 Jan 31, 2009
Renee wrote:
One can use all the capital letters and profanity they choose, but children grow up and the see what adults value. We can't lock them up forever. What's the point of sheltering my children, when all of a sudden the moment they turn 18 it's all good and normal as an adult.
As "adults", and more importantly as PARENTS, we need not to shelter youngsters, but to teach them about respect, dignity, right from wrong and the consequences of one's actions. In short, we need to instill VALUES in our children, not try to shelter them. I've seen an article where a man complains about TV commercials for E.D., saying his 5 year old asked what it was. He was "horrified" that the boy asked this. Seems to me that was a PERFECT time to be a PARENT and actually teach the boy something!
SERIOUSLY

Amesbury, MA

#23 Jan 31, 2009
Renee wrote:
the only reason i am so upset is because these police officers WILL RUIN THESE BOYS LIVES and that angers me so bad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burlington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ten charged in Lowell gang raids; weapons, drug... (Jul '08) May 21 former gang member 666
News Child Services Workers Picket Unsafe Caseloads May 11 Steve 17
News Doyon School in Ipswich chooses interim principal (Jun '11) May 3 Ipswich watch dog 2
Get ou and have fun! Apr 29 Long live rock 1
Former resident Joel Camara age 43 wins share o... Apr 24 Star 1
News Minor Earthquake Rocks (or Not) the Area Apr '15 Reading MAss 1
Embroidery (Mar '14) Feb '15 kurtcooksalot16 2
More from around the web

Burlington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]